PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Khon Kaen

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 16:51
Matt and I are in touch via email and I have told him the following - in the event of Leo's mother's death, I will not travel to KK. I feel it would be intruding on Leo's private grief. My mother died in January, and the thought of having to entertain some foreign stranger, even for one night, would have been too much.

Matt has insisted that he is ready to meet as arranged. I feel that will change when (if?) she dies. So this is entirely my decision, and should not be taken as a reflection on Matt, in any way.

I've become very disillusioned with all the negative posts directed at one person. It feels like a pack of hyenas circling a wounded gazelle. I won't partake in it any more.

If Leo's mother recovers, I am more than happy to go with the original plan.

bobsaigon2
December 9th, 2017, 17:06
Matt and I are in touch via email and I have told him the following - in the event of Leo's mother's death, I will not travel to KK. I feel it would be intruding on Leo's private grief. If Leo's mother recovers, I am more than happy to go with the original plan.

I agree. If his mother dies, Leo would need more than a few weeks to come to terms with the loss.

sglad
December 9th, 2017, 17:51
It feels like a pack of hyenas circling a wounded gazelle.

Not quite. All I see is the same ageing, impotent Australian dingo with no teeth and no claws chasing yet another clever mouse whom he hasn't got a chance in hell of catching. All he's got left is his bark.

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 18:20
What? Leo's mother most likely isn't going to recover. She'll probably be dead within hours.

Life goes on though. We'll be here for the Jan 15th meeting if you wanted to meet.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 18:27
Matt, I'm not sure if you understand the grief you feel at the death of a parent. Although my mother's death had been expected, it wasn't any easier to cope with. I still have difficulty, one year on, as does my sister.

Let's wait and see.

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 18:53
Yeah, understood. Thtat's why he has me. Don't worry about that part, as that's my job. I'll pick him up, brush him off, and get him ready for life again. Afterall, we have those two kids in the village we need to adopt, so we need to be strong for them.

Again, don't worry, that's my job. We're available for a Jan 15th meeting if you still wanted to meet.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 19:09
As the UK Prime Minister repeats at PMQ's before answering the substantive question: I refer the Honourable Member to the reply I gave some moments ago.(when asked about his/her engagements for the day)

Smiles
December 9th, 2017, 19:45
Matt, I'm not sure if you understand the grief you feel at the death of a parent. Although my mother's death had been expected, it wasn't any easier to cope with. I still have difficulty, one year on, as does my sister.
Not trying to be overly cynical ('cynical' being cndmatt's favourite accusation this month) but your grief-description above is - for me - more maudlin cliche than reality.
The comfort slots we find to crawl into upon the death of a parent are as diverse as there are individuals on this earth.
For instance, one year on you say, still mourning you say? For me, that's masochism, not grieving. But do carry on with that slot ... that's the individualism of it all.

Along those same lines: one of my favourite massively over-used psycho-babble phrases is this puppy, " ... I just can't seem to find closure ... " . When I hear that nonsense spouted I run screaming for the nearest exit.

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 19:48
Joe, if you want to break the meet, then just do it. However, don't try to blame me for it, as that's quite pitiful.

Just say you don't want to meet for personal reasons, and it's fine.

Yes, from the sounds of things Leo's mother is probably going to die. It's going to be difficult on him, and he knows I'm here for him. HHowever, life still goes on, so we can make a Jan 15th dinner meet if you want.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 19:53
Smiles, I am not grieving in the same way I was 9 months ago. I was trying to say that Matt can't predict how Leo will feel. I think you are also making the point.

Matt, I fully intend to keep the meet, but reserve the right to cancel if I feel it appropriate. Let's wait and see how Leo is at the beginning of January. I have until the 7th to cancel my hotel booking.

I have checking busses to KK, and the journey time is between 9 and 10 hours.

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 20:05
Don't worry, Leo will be fine. Again, that's my job. As it turns out, I'm pretty good at this whole love thing. He'll be fine.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 20:09
Matt, this is my last post on the subject of grief. I am not doubting your love for Leo, or that you will be there for him. I am simply saying that you can not predict how his grief will affect him. Sometimes, love may not be enough. Again, let's just wait and see.

There, done!

Btw, if anyone has recent information on busses to KK, I'd be grateful I have a few days before I go, so plenty of time to go the bus station myself, but is there more than company on the route. If so, is one better than another, in terms of comfort?

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 20:51
Joe I'm sure your concerns are well founded, but I'm sure you appreciate that just as some people struggle to come to terms with grief, equally not everybody falls apart at the seams.

When my father died this year after looking after him single handedly for almost 20yrs I took a day off work and another day for the funeral. I got no support from anybody - didn't want it, didn't need it.

There isn't half a day goes by that I don't think of him or miss him, but I have to get on with what's left of my own life - there's no time to waste wailing and gnashing my teeth.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 21:02
I am obviously not getting my point across. I know people experience grief in different ways. For some, it's more intense that for others. Matt seems to be predicting how Leo will feel. I am simply trying to point there is no way for Matt to predict that.

I don't know how else I can say it, so I'll say no more on grief.

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 21:11
I'm not arguing with you at all - just flagging up that whilst you may be right and Leo might be devastated and incapable of functioning for a while, it's equally possible he'll cope with it perfectly well.

So I'll say no more on it either

:drink:

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 21:55
Okay, I've been thinking about this. I just heard from my first love and he'd like to go to KK with me. So the deal is this Matt - I plan to go to KK with my friend, unless you ask me not to. Fair enough?

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 22:07
Yes, Joe. I'm not the one who proposed changing the plans, you did... twice now.

Jan 15th.

Leo's mom is in the ICU right now, while him and his sisters are sleeping in the waiting room, so I really don't care at the moment. Yeah, Jan 15 is fine, I'm sure.

colmx
December 9th, 2017, 23:01
Btw, if anyone has recent information on busses to KK, I'd be grateful I have a few days before I go, so plenty of time to go the bus station myself, but is there more than company on the route. If so, is one better than another, in terms of comfort?

Having gone by bus to KK one before- there is no way I would do it again... Its around 350 miles

You can get flights from Don Muang to KK starting at €23 for a decent hour
Or flights from Suvanabhumi from €37

Alternatively you could fly from Pattaya/U-tapao Airport to Udon Thani and take a train or bus south from Udon to KK

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 23:15
colmx, thanks so much. I didn't know there was an airport in KK. Clearly the flights are the way to go, and very cheap too.

I just spoke to my friend on Facebook (which is tortuously slow), and he's happy to go with me. Apparently, both he and his wife are homeless and unemployed, and crashing in friends' rooms.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 23:58
My friend just posted this on my FB page. He is the small(ish) guy in an orange T shirt

[link removed on request of joe552]

Nirish guy
December 9th, 2017, 23:59
“He’s happy to go with me ,,,,,apparently, both he and his wife are homeless and unemployed, and crashing in friends' room”

I have no words ! Jesus Joe.

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 00:00
I just found that out, after I'd invited him and he agreed.

Nirish guy
December 10th, 2017, 00:06
Fuck that, I think I’d simply be uninviting him again for “whatever” reason - it’s a holiday you’re going for not a UN charity mission.

Brad the Impala
December 10th, 2017, 00:07
Sounds like they might both be going to KK, so with Matt and Leo, and the dogs, you're building up quite a good audience for Philomena's performances. Will she be appearing at your birthday party?

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 00:13
She could always be persuaded if the price was right!

NIrish, you and I are very different people. Not better or worse - just different.

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 00:44
Brad, we could make a road trip movie: Philomena Queen of the Bog.

latintopxxx
December 10th, 2017, 01:28
him and his wife...both unemployed..is this another version of the "buffalo die send money" scam?? Maybe u can negotiate a good rate??

latintopxxx
December 10th, 2017, 01:28
..oh and scotty...for a change am with u on death and mourning...

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 02:16
Having gone by bus to KK one before- there is no way I would do it again... Its around 350 miles

You can get flights from Don Muang to KK starting at €23 for a decent hour
Or flights from Suvanabhumi from €37

Alternatively you could fly from Pattaya/U-tapao Airport to Udon Thani and take a train or bus south from Udon to KK

What's wrong with the bus from Pattaya -> KK? I guess I only took it once, and we get VIP seats, but it was totally fine. Nice comfortable chairs, A/C, stops off in both Bangkok and Korat so you have a chance to stretch your legs, get something to drink, etc.

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 03:14
My friend just posted this on my FB page. He is the small(ish) guy in an orange T shirt

[link removed on request of joe552]

All I can say, Joe, is that you have a very casual attitude to other people's privacy, but I suppose in this age of Facebook privacy simply doesn't exist any more for those fools who use it. It's of a par with your lackadaisical approach to social conventions. If I were Matt I'd simply uninvite you if you casually proposed dragging someone else along to meet a total stranger

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 03:25
Nah, I'll still meet Joe in town, and that's fine. He's not coming to my house or anything, we'll just meet in town for dinner. No harm in that.

Besides, I really want to make a447 look like the asshole he is, because I already know full well he won't apologize.

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 03:44
Frequent, you've no idea whether Matt and I discussed bringing a friend along. I concede you may have a point about sharing the video.

Can one of the mods please delete that video?

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 05:50
Besides, I really want to make a447 look like the asshole he is, because I already know full well he won't apologize.a447 is not an asshole; he clearly suffers from OCD and is therefore not responsible for his actions

Frequent, you've no idea whether Matt and I discussed bringing a friend along.It's irrelevant whether you did or you didn't, or whether agreed or not. It's sheer bad manners to propose it at all

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 06:05
Matt and I agreed to meet for dinner on the 15th. There was no expectation on my part of another meeting. You think I should go to KK on my own, and spend the rest of the time on my own? Get real - you and your manners

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 06:08
a447 is not an asshole; he clearly suffers from OCD and is therefore not responsible for his actions.

No, I'm pretty sure he's just an asshole. From his posts, he's still capable of cognitive thinking, so he's just an asshole.

Assuming Joe keeps with his KK plans, a447 can either issue a public apology towards me, or continue to make himself look like the lowlife he is. Up to him.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 06:20
Those of us who never thought the Joe/Matt meeting would happen can at last see the end of this very long tunnel.

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 06:22
No, I'm pretty sure he's just an asshole. From his posts, he's still capable of cognitive thinking, so he's just an asshole.OCD and cognitive thinking are quite compatible. You, on the other hand, seem incapable of distinguishing between a store of value and a means of exchange when it comes to Bitcoin, so I'd suggest that you are the one whose cognitive thinking is more impaired

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 06:25
Those of us who never thought the Joe/Matt meeting would happen can at last see the end of this very long tunnel.And those of us who never cared? What about us?

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 06:45
We are the same in this matter Frequent.
:boredom:

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 06:47
OCD and cognitive thinking are quite compatible. You, on the other hand, seem incapable of distinguishing between a store of value and a means of exchange when it comes to Bitcoin, so I'd suggest that you are the one whose cognitive thinking is more impaired

Go look at a 5 year price chart of bitcoin, and tell me I'm wrong.

Do you have any idea how easy it is for me to pickup good, and high paying clients right now? There's a lot of new money floating around out there right now...

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 06:49
We are the same in this matter Frequent.
:boredom:

For 2 guys well experienced on the board, I'm surprised you don't just pass over the threads you're not interested in.

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 07:20
Hope springs eternal. There's always the possibility that something interesting might sneak in and then I'd miss it.

Baan Souy Resort offers a day pass for 300 baht that includes a drink and towels as well as use of the facilities.

See. Something like that.

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 07:27
I'll give you all the low down on Khon Kaen. Will that do?

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 07:36
If you get there. It's 50/50 at best.

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 07:39
1,000Bt says I will - winnings to a local charity. Unless it's Matt who cancels.

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 07:46
No thanks, I dont gamble. Go or don't go. The choice is yours and I care not either way.

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 09:01
For 2 guys well experienced on the board, I'm surprised you don't just pass over the threads you're not interested in.The fun lies in laughing at the posters. Surely you realise that?

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 09:05
I do now. Thanks for the explanation.

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 09:06
Go look at a 5 year price chart of bitcoin, and tell me I'm wrong.You're wrong - "a 5-year chart of bitcoin" simply illustrates bitcoin as a store of value. It's no different to gold or silver (except they do have industrial uses). You can't transact directly with anyone except your Russian mafia customers who add to your treasure trove, so that doesn't mean a thing. You can't give your catamite some Bitcoin to pop down to the local 7-11, can you? When you can do that, get back to us

All you're doing, according to your own posts, is building Bitcoin wallets for people who then pay you in Bitcoin. It's an echo chamber, a feedback loop, a closed ecology

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 10:43
That's the equivalent of saying the US dollar is just an echo chamber and feedback loop.

I can buy lots of things with bitcoin. Web hosting, pay contractors, I can buy a new computer right now online, pay in bitcoin and have it delivered to my house, and tons more.

Again, it's been 8 years. I think you're just going to need to accept the fact there's a better and more modern way to conduct financial transactions compared to the past. That's how technology works.

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 10:48
Again, it's been 8 years. I think you're just going to need to accept the fact there's a better and more modern way to conduct financial transactions compared to the past. That's how technology works.As I said, get back to us when your catamite can pay with Bitcoin at the local 7-11

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 10:51
As I said, get back to us when your catamite can pay with Bitcoin at the local 7-11

Ok, give me about 5 days, and I'll get some new debit cards ordered today. He'll be able to purchase from 7/11 then using the bitcoin in our account balance.

cdnmatt
December 10th, 2017, 11:02
BTW... bitcoin was never designed for simple cash transactions like buying a bag of Skittles from 7/11, although it's somewhat morphed into that.

It was designed to be a replacement for the SWIFT, IBAN, and ABA systems of the world, and is doing an excellent job at that.

FarangRuMak
December 10th, 2017, 11:10
Not trying to be overly cynical ('cynical' being cndmatt's favourite accusation this month) but your grief-description above is - for me - more maudlin cliche than reality.
The comfort slots we find to crawl into upon the death of a parent are as diverse as there are individuals on this earth.
For instance, one year on you say, still mourning you say? For me, that's masochism, not grieving. But do carry on with that slot ... that's the individualism of it all.

Along those same lines: one of my favourite massively over-used psycho-babble phrases is this puppy, " ... I just can't seem to find closure ... " . When I hear that nonsense spouted I run screaming for the nearest exit.
This has nothing to do with Joe's post but there are 2 'trending' phrases at the moment all over tv chatshows and newscasts that get me running for the nearest exit;
"Issues around.." example "At the time I was dealing with issues around self-knowing and not having enough empowerment."
"Going forward" example " There will more emphasis on cultivating new markets going forward,"

frequent
December 10th, 2017, 11:59
Ok, give me about 5 days, and I'll get some new debit cards ordered today. He'll be able to purchase from 7/11 then using the bitcoin in our account balance.So he won't be paying with Bitcoin. He'll be paying with baht and in the background Bitcoin will be converted to baht. Let us know when the 7-11 shopkeeper transacts in Bitcoin