PDA

View Full Version : A personal Thank You!

joe552
December 5th, 2017, 17:17
I've been suffering from depression since my mother died in January. But yesterday I reached out to volunteer with the Simon Community in the run up to Christmas. That, and friends here, have made me feel quite positive today. So thank you all.

bobsaigon2
December 5th, 2017, 18:04
Just looked up the Simon Community. Great to be able to help there and sure to displace less welcome thoughts in your mind. And of course participating in this forum, on its good days, should set you right in no time. :)

joe552
December 5th, 2017, 18:35
Thanks bob. I'll only be shaking a bucket at their events, but hope to train to work in their hostel in the new year.

RonanTheBarbarian
December 5th, 2017, 18:37
Glad to hear you that you are doing that Joe.

They need all the help they can get, and I am sure you will feel better for helping out

FarangRuMak
December 6th, 2017, 11:07
The deaths of both parents are two milestones we spend our lives dreading.
But I think our mother's death is that bit harder to take.
However there are people who never knew their parents.
Depression is a internal thing but the cure for it is out there among other people.

frequent
December 6th, 2017, 11:47
The deaths of both parents are two milestones we spend our lives dreading.Speak for yourself. I know plenty of people for whom that statement is not only not true but in fact the opposite of what they feel

FarangRuMak
December 6th, 2017, 14:33
True.
I suppose I am speaking for myself.
I always dreaded it and it was horrible.
Old age is nothing to look forward to.

frequent
December 6th, 2017, 15:11
Old age is nothing to look forward to.Evidently

scottish-guy
December 6th, 2017, 15:38
It depends entirely on your circumstances.

If you remain healthy and vigorous then old age could be the most freeing experience ever. You have no daily grind to look forward to (I don't mean sex!), you maybe have a few bob in the bank, and few responsibilities

If however you're in declining health, trapped at home, cash-strapped and unhappy - then it's no barrel of laughs

joe552
December 6th, 2017, 19:09
Well said SG. I should have enough in a small pension to retire to Tenerife, which is the dream.