PDA

View Full Version : Sex drugs and Bitcoin

frequent
November 30th, 2017, 11:38
A research project led by an Australian expert in detecting insider trading has quantified the scale of illegal activity financed through the world's largest digital currency, bitcoin. About a third of bitcoin users are using the anonymous digital currency for nefarious activities, according to the research titled, Sex, Drugs and bitcoin written by Sean Foley, Talis Putnins and Jonathan Karlsen.

They found that 34 million to 36 million of the 106 million users of bitcoin have been using the digital currency for illegal activity. The research tracks illegal activity going back to 2009. One of the more interesting findings is that illegal activity peaked in about July 2014 and has been trending down since. In the process of conducting their research, Foley, Putnins and Karlsen have developed novel methods for identifying illegal activity in bitcoin. They say that much of this research can be transferable to any public blockchain technology.

That is significant because stock exchanges around the world are considering using the blockchain technologies that underpin bitcoin for settlement of equities trading. These technologies could ultimately be used in any industry that involves transactions between two or more parties. Bitcoin is celebrated for its anonymity, but the blockchain technology means there is a record for every transaction that has ever occurred. This unique quality was a huge benefit to the research by Foley, Putnins and Karlsen.

"Recent and ongoing seizures of bitcoin by law enforcement agencies, combined with the public nature of the blockchain, provide us with a unique laboratory within which to analyse the illegal ecosystem that has evolved in the bitcoin network," they said in their research proposal. "Although individual identities are masked by the pseudo-anonymity of a 33 character alpha-numeric address, the public nature of the blockchain allows us to link bitcoin transactions to individual "users" (market participants), identify users that had bitcoin seized by authorities, and analyse the network of who trades with whom. The bitcoin seizures therefore provide us with a sample of users known to be involved in illegal activity from which we can infer or estimate other bitcoin users involved in illegal activity.

"Our first approach to doing so is by analysing the trade networks of users known to be involved in illegal activity. Our second approach is to exploit characteristics that can distinguish between users involved in illegal activity and those involved in legal activity using detection-controlled estimation models. For example, for each bitcoin user we are able to measure the extent to which they take actions to conceal their identity and trading records. Using these innovative tools, we are able to approximate the size of the black market economy facilitated by this new technology, and characterise the nature of illegal activity involving bitcoin."

The starting point for the research was a bunch of questions. These were: What fraction of bitcoin trading activity and holdings is associated with illegal activity? What are the characteristics of illegal activity using bitcoin? How do the networks of illegal trade differ from those of legal trade? How do bitcoin users involved in illegal activity differ from those involved in legal activity? How do transactions associated with illegal activity differ from legal transactions? How can illegal activity be detected in bitcoin, or on a public blockchain more generally?

In seeking to answer these questions the researchers had to spend a reasonable amount of time on the dark web, also known as the "darknet". "The darknet is a network like the internet, but can be accessed only through particular communications protocols that provide greater anonymity than the internet," the research paper says. "The darknet contains online marketplaces, much like eBay, but with anonymous communications, which also makes these marketplaces less accessible than online stores on the internet. Darknet marketplaces are particularly popular for trading goods and services where buyers and sellers want to conceal their identities, for example, illegal goods and services. The darknet is estimated to contain approximately 30,000 domains."

The paper says that a user who wants to buy goods or services on a darknet marketplace must first acquire digital currency (typically from an online exchange or broker) and then deposit this in an address belonging to the darknet marketplace (often termed a "hot wallet"). The other element that has facilitated illegal activity online involving bitcoin is TOR (The Onion Router).

"By providing an anonymous, digital method of payment, bitcoin did for darknet marketplaces what PayPal did for eBay— provide a reliable, scalable, and convenient payment mechanism," the paper says. "What was also required, however, was an anonymous way of hosting and accessing those illegal marketplaces.

"This issue is solved through the use of TOR, originally developed by the US Navy. TOR hides the IP address of internet traffic through 'onion routing', which obfuscates the path (and hence IP) of a message sent between two clients by routing the message through several nodes in the TOR network. "The groundbreaking work has gained in-principle acceptance for publication in a leading international finance journal early next year. It is being undertaken in collaboration with the Sydney-based Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre.

The research is designed to help securities regulators understand the size of the task they face in attempting to monitor and regulate what is fast becoming an accepted asset class for institutional investors. It is extraordinary but true that bitcoin has quickly evolved from being the preferred digital currency for illegal purchases on the dark web to becoming one of the fastest-growing asset classes in the world.

There is a plan to have bitcoin futures traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange – one of the world's largest options and futures exchanges. We know from various actions by police in the United States, Asia, Australia and Europe that bitcoin has been used on the dark web to buy drugs, avoid capital controls, launder money and pay for computer hacking. The recent global Wanna Crypt computer hacking attack demanded payment of ransom in bitcoins.

The most famous user of bitcoin for illicit purposes was the Silk Road drug site. When it was busted by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation about $4 million in bitcoin was seized. But these illegal activities have to be put in the context of the potential value that may accrue to business and government from the use of the anonymous blockchain technologies that underpin bitcoin and its spin-offs bitcoin Gold and bitcoin Cash. A form of blockchain is being talked about as a possible solution for the settlement of equities trading in Australia and elsewhere.
http://www.afr.com/brand/chanticleer/study-reveals-truth-about-bitcoin-hot-wallets-and-the-dark-web-20171129-gzvazw

cdnmatt
November 30th, 2017, 12:48
Have you see a bitcoin price chart lately? I bet this goes down as one of the largest "pump and dumps" in history. There's no way the current surge is due to a bunch of drug dealers on the dark market. This is due to intitutional investors.

Just watch what happens to the price over the next 2 - 4 weeks. I bet it drops dramatically. I guess I could be wrong, but there's no way the current rate isn't artifically high. I know it's scaring me enough to pull my money out now.

frequent
November 30th, 2017, 13:39
Hardly an apposite response Matt to an article that doesn't discuss the price of Bitcoin at all - but utterly predictable

cdnmatt
November 30th, 2017, 14:25
Didn't read the article, but I'm sure I get the gist. Bitcoin is horrible, only used by drug dealers, human trafickkers, etc. That's bullshit.

Look at the current surge in price. That's not drug dealers selling meth. That's institutional investors with billions on hand. Again, I bet this goes down as one of the greatest pump & dumps in history. I know I'm pulling my bitcoin out, because there's no way this is real.

Oh, and want to talk about bullshit when it comes to money? How about how Leo can't even open a bank account in Thailand because he doesn't have a work permit? Or how about how my Canadian bank said they weren't quite able to verify my identity over the phone, so froze my account, and told me to visit the nearest branch in person. Well, that would be fine and dandy if the Pacific Ocean didn't happen to be in the way.

With bitcoin, all that shit disappears. You don't need to ask permission from soneone as to whether or not you can trust them with your money.

latintopxxx
December 2nd, 2017, 06:12
matt...i sincerely hope u have hedged your bets and not pul all your eggs into the bitcoin basket...

frequent
December 2nd, 2017, 10:55
Some background reading https://www.inc.com/bill-carmody/3-biggest-ways-blockchain-will-change-society.html

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2017, 11:12
Yes, all money is bitcoin now, as that's how I get paid, and no bank account anymore.

I'm done. Fell on my hans couple days ago, hurts to type.

Will reply better in couple days/

pennyboy
December 2nd, 2017, 15:15
Yes, all money is bitcoin now, as that's how I get paid, and no bank account anymore.

I'm done. Fell on my hans couple days ago, hurts to type.

Will reply better in couple days/

Is hans some new german boyfriend. Can't wait to hear how this pans out.

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2017, 15:32
Hand, not hands. Either either healing now, or just drunk.

Hand. A/C was leaking water, I rushed to see what Leo was calling about, fell, landed on my hand in wrong way.

Don't worry, I'm fine.

Nirish guy
December 2nd, 2017, 17:33
Serious question - so if a Bitcoin is worth around $10,000 today - can you then ( I assume) get paid in part Bitcoin ie a % of that one bitcoin to enable purchases of say just a few hundred pounds / Dollars / Baht etc ? And assuming that of course HAS to be the case is there a name then for that smaller part of a bitcoin or is it simply "I'll pay you .0003% of a bitcoin ? As I said - a serious question.

cdnmatt
December 2nd, 2017, 17:43
Yes, bitcoin goes all the way to 8 decimal points. So you can pay for something with 0.00047122 bitcoin, for example.

Oh, and the part is called a satoshi.

Nirish guy
December 2nd, 2017, 17:44
thank you for the answer

frequent
December 3rd, 2017, 14:10
For those who are interested, Reuters has just published an article on why the Blockchain (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-blockchain-security/for-security-agencies-blockchain-goes-from-suspect-to-potential-solution-idUSKBN1DX01A) - the technology solution on which Bitcoin is based - will likely be important in the future. And here's a link to a story about the Australian energy trading company that's using the blockchain (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-11/blockchain-technology-fuels-peer-to-peer-energy-trading-start-up/9035616)

cdnmatt
December 3rd, 2017, 14:58
Just fyi... the "blockchain technology" in and of itself isn't really that advanced. We're going all the way back to the Napster, Kazza, and invention of torrents days for this technology. Just add some cryptography, put a specific messaging protocol in place, and you have the blockchain.

The other difference is computer hardware resources continuing getting more powerful as the years and decades tick by. We're no longer reliant on companies who can afford data warehouses with massive server configurations. We are in the way of Google and things, but not for things like bitcoin.

joe552
December 3rd, 2017, 16:49
Thanks Matt I understood every word of that.

frequent
December 4th, 2017, 11:46
Thanks Matt I understood every word of that.Reverting to my definition of the Bitcoin afficionado as a "high tech wanker", there's a recent article in the Financial Times (https://www.ft.com/content/c84caffc-d683-11e7-a303-9060cb1e5f44) headed "Bitcoin: an investment mania for the fake news era" and a summary that states "The cryptocurrency has attracted people who mistrust institutions". I think that pretty much sums Matt up

joe552
December 4th, 2017, 13:27
Matt I'm intrigued (or just confused). You say you've given up all your bank accounts. Does that mean you only get paid in Bitcoin? What do you use when you go to the market to buy food? Genuine question

cdnmatt
December 4th, 2017, 13:56
Right now, I just flip say 80,000 baht into Western Union once a month or so, and have Leo go collect it. Then I can flip money into a Thai bank account in minutes, so that's how I pay rent.

But no, no bank account. Leo does have a Laos bank account, but apparently nobody in Laos uses bitcoin, as I can't flip money into it.

Used to have a Canadian account, but that's gone. My debit card expired, so I called them to issue me a new one, the lady said I couldn't be verified over the phone (total BS), froze my account, and told me I need to visit the nearest branch in person. Well, that would be fine if the Pacific Ocean wasn't in the way.

I can't get a Thai bank account due to my status, Leo can't get one because he has no work permit (we've tried, multiple banks). So at the moment, we're kinda stuck. There are companies that offer debit card attached to your bitcoin account though. Tried to order a couple from Adv Cash, but I guess due to Mastercard policies, they can only issue cards within Europe, and not to Thailand.

That, and I much prefer using bitcoin anyway. I've had money fezen in multiple accounts before that I was never able to get access to, I've had PayPal close my account and freeze the balance for 180 days, I've had my Moneris merchant account closed without warning for a chargeback rate of more than 0.5%, and so on... With bitcoin, you never have to worry about any of that.

That's why I was freaking out a little while ago when the price started falling, because I have nowhere to put all this money at the moment. I can't exactly just send Leo down to Western Union for that much, as that'd look a little suspicious.

Once settled in Vientiane, we'll make a quick 2 or 3 day trip to Hong Kong, and incorporate there as the corporate tax rate is 0%, and get some proper bank accounts again with HSBC.

joe552
December 4th, 2017, 14:09
Thanks for the explanation Matt. I have to say, I'd be freaking out too in your situation. Hope it all works out for you.

scottish-guy
December 4th, 2017, 14:52
.. "The cryptocurrency has attracted people who mistrust institutions"...

I mistrust them too - the last time I was in one I had a hell of a job getting back out!

:p

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2017, 14:49
Well, obviously I was wrong about my predicted crash. Current rate is 383,000 THB. Yee-haw! :)

Nirish guy
December 5th, 2017, 15:01
Well, obviously I was wrong

We were all just to polite to mention it.....

joe552
December 5th, 2017, 16:19
So you'll be buying the beers on the 15th? Great.

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2017, 16:54
So you'll be buying the beers on the 15th? Great.

heh, not likely. Right now, I have a husband and two dogs to care of, and more than likely, will have a couple kids to take care of sson as well. Think I'll become a cheap charlie. :)

joe552
December 5th, 2017, 17:18
Matt you're talking to an expert cheap charlie. Happy to pass on a few tips.

Nirish guy
December 5th, 2017, 17:19
Think I'll become a cheap charlie. :)

So it really SHOULD be Christian you've got coming up to see you after all then it seems to give you a few tips ! :)

And Joe FFS is it not enough that Matt's putting you up in a hotel and paying for your boyfriend de jour without you now tapping him up for beer as well, my god man have you NO shame ! :)

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2017, 17:41
Matt you're talking to an expert cheap charlie. Happy to pass on a few tips.

Will be happy to spring for a nice dinner at that Italian restaurant (it's out fav). Just please, don't run the place dry of alcohol. :)

Nirish guy
December 6th, 2017, 00:09
My god, hotel, drinks, sex AND dinner too now Joe - hell I'm almost thinking of tagging along myself now !

joe552
December 6th, 2017, 04:32
To be fair NIrish, Matt never promised sex. Just hotel, unlimited drinks and an Italian dinner.

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2017, 04:44
No, no... no hotel. :)

The hotel offer was for my nephew and his wife, but he's going to be floating around SE Asia until Mar 31st (work is seasonal), so I convinced him to wait it out until Vientiane when we have a nicer house. Right now, we don't even have a sofa. We had one, but the dogs ruined it, and never bothered buying a new one, because we wouldn't use it anyway. We do have a TV, but no idea if it works, as hasn't been turned on in ages.

Best for him to wait until Vientiane, when we have a nice house, proper Western kitchen, etc. If I'm really lucky, and get my way, even a swimming pool in the backyard. :)

Nirish guy
December 6th, 2017, 05:32
Matt you DO know that we're both yanking your chain re that hotel thing don't you !? But as for the sex I distinctly remember talk of a blow job being either offered or accepted so for god sake dont be welching out on THAT at least as hell that's half the reason poor Joe is making the trip in the first place as it's the only firm offer of sex he's been able to pin down for his trip so far by the sounds of it ! :)

joe552
December 6th, 2017, 07:14
NIrish, you seem to know me too well. Judging by the photo Matt posted, it'll be Leo getting the bj, after our pasta dinner.

joe552
December 6th, 2017, 07:51
Btw, I just paid 0.224 (recurring) for a bj. Was I ripped off?

scottish-guy
December 6th, 2017, 14:26
Well if this all goes ahead and it turns out that Matt is genuine (and I'll just mention here that I have never said otherwise) then SGT may have to have to employ stewards to manage the crowd of members (who ought to be) queuing up to apologise to him.

pennyboy
December 6th, 2017, 15:15
As a self proclaimed doubter I will certainly not be queuing up to aplologise.

frequent
December 6th, 2017, 15:28
But as for the sex I distinctly remember talk of a blow job being either offered or accepted so for god sake dont be welching out on THAT at least as hell that's half the reason poor Joe is making the trip in the first place as it's the only firm offer of sex he's been able to pin down for his trip so far by the sounds of it ! :)Is it the so-called Eskimo hospitality (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2066/do-eskimo-men-lend-their-wives-to-strangers) that we're considering here?

scottish-guy
December 6th, 2017, 15:32
Well, Pennyboy - being a doubter is one thing but there are members on here who have called Matt a fake, a fantasist, and a liar. I don't know if you're one of those members or not.

I know that apologising for stating incorrect facts (or even when caught out lying) is no longer the done thing on this forum, but it's the decent thing - and IF it all checks out with Matt then that's what I'd expect.

Is that so unreasonable ?

frequent
December 6th, 2017, 15:36
I know that apologising for stating incorrect facts (or even when caught out lying) is no longer the done thing on this forum, but it's the decent thing - and IF it all checks out with Matt then that's what I'd expect.Apposite

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2017, 15:52
The only one I want an apology from is a447. The rest I can just shrug off as typical forum BS and banter.

However, what a447 did was bullshit. Following me around the forum just after I went blind, pointing out every typo I made, berating me over each one, as if it was proof I'm not blind. All the while, I'm still terrified, contemplating suicide, and trying to figure out how to navigate this world in the dark. That was bullshit.

He's proven himself to be pretty spineless, all bark no bite type of thing, so I doubt an apology will be forthcoming from him. If anything, he'll just accuse Joe and myself of being the same person, or some shti, because that's how little of a man he's proven himself to be.

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2017, 16:33
And bitcoin is now up to 414,000 THB. I could get used to this. :)

a447
December 6th, 2017, 17:29
All the while, I'm still terrified, contemplating suicide, and trying to figure out how to navigate this world in the dark.

Your posts on this board since allegedly going blind suggest otherwise.

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2017, 17:39
Geez, you sure need things explained to you multiple times over, don't you?

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2017, 07:02
Bitcoin is now at 470,000 THB. WTF is going on? If I did my math correctly, the market cap just increased by another $40 billion USD in less than 24 hours.

WTF?

frequent
December 7th, 2017, 11:37
Bitcoin is now at 470,000 THB. WTF is going on? If I did my math correctly, the market cap just increased by another $40 billion USD in less than 24 hours.WTF?It's to be hoped, Matt, that no-one's emptied your wallet (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-06/bitcoin-mining-service-nicehash-says-hackers-emptied-its-wallet)

Your posts on this board since allegedly going blind suggest otherwise.And in other Australian news, the Australian Stock Exchange has announced its moving its trading systems to a blockchain - https://www.wsj.com/articles/australia-banks-on-bitcoin-tech-to-keep-tabs-on-stocks-1512618995 - a move to facilitate less expensive trading and retard fraud

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2017, 13:26
I develop commercial wallet software for a living. I'm pretty sure I know how to keep my funds safe. :)

pennyboy
December 7th, 2017, 14:13
Well, Pennyboy - being a doubter is one thing but there are members on here who have called Matt a fake, a fantasist, and a liar. I don't know if you're one of those members or not.

I know that apologising for stating incorrect facts (or even when caught out lying) is no longer the done thing on this forum, but it's the decent thing - and IF it all checks out with Matt then that's what I'd expect.

Is that so unreasonable ?

Even it the intrepid Joe meets a blind Canadian bitcoin millionaire or not I see no reason to apologise for not believing him. Whether you think this is decent or not is of no interest to me..

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2017, 14:34
What???? Do you have any idea of how stupid you just sounded? So if Joe meets with myself and Leo over dinner and a few beers, and confirms we're all real, you'll still not believe me?

I don't know... gotta love living in a world of alternative facts I guess?

PS. By no means am I a millionaire. I've been trying to get that through NIrish's skull for a while now. Just because I work in the bitcoin space doesn't make me rich. It just means I work in the bitcoin space. Same as just because someone works on Wall St. doesn't mean they're rich. It just means they work on Wall St.

Nirish guy
December 7th, 2017, 15:24
Ive never implied you were a millionaire, I merely flagged up that one minute you're talking about getting paid in and so then owning multiple Bitcoins which today are worth $14000 or so, then in the next breath you talk about not having enough money to go for dinner until you next get paid. Or you talk about buying Million Baht visas and motorbikes etc, but then again in the next post claim poverty again.

So, dont blame me that many of your stories ( true or otherwise) seem to be all over the place when it comes to the believability factor so as all I've ever done is ask you to clarify WHICH side of the stories are true. As apparently you have gone from rags to riches and back again to riches ( and back again) and now to comfortable ( with ONE Bitcoin being worth $14000 and still just comfortable !? wow) with over a period of months now, all the while holding Bitcoin which of course have done nothing but rise in value over that time.

So, sorry, not my fault when what you say doesn't make much sense to the rest of us sometimes as I can never quite work out are you saying it "as a story" or as you ARE all over the place as you claim in that regard OR that you're doing it for laugh and to get a rise out of people as you love the attention, I'm still unsure which of those 3 things are true and I'm guessing it's a mixture of all three perhaps - and that includes most of your other stories too BTW not just re bitcoin.

frequent
December 7th, 2017, 15:41
Ive never implied you were a millionaire, I merely flagged up that one minute you're talking about getting paid in and so then owning multiple Bitcoins which today are worth $14000 or so, then in the next breath you talk about not having enough money to go for dinner until you next get paid. Or you talk about buying Million Baht visas and motorbikes etc, but then again in the next post claim poverty again.

So, dont blame me that many of your stories ( true or otherwise) seem to be all over the place when it comes to the believability factor so as all I've ever done is ask you to clarify WHICH side of the stories are true. As apparently you have gone from rags to riches and back again to riches ( and back again) and now to comfortable ( with ONE Bitcoin being worth $14000 and still just comfortable !? wow) with over a period of months now, all the while holding Bitcoin which of course have done nothing but rise in value over that time.

So, sorry, not my fault when what you say doesn't make much sense to the rest of us sometimes as I can never quite work out are you saying it "as a story" or as you ARE all over the place as you claim in that regard OR that you're doing it for laugh and to get a rise out of people as you love the attention, I'm still unsure which of those 3 things are true and I'm guessing it's a mixture of all three perhaps - and that includes most of your other stories too BTW not just re bitcoin.

So ... if one bitcoin is valued in the market at $14,000 how many bitcoin would Matt need to have to be a millionaire - this is not a trick question. The answer is 71.43 - that's right, less than 100

Given that Matt has boasted of being paid for his labours in Bitcoin for several years now, from back in the day when they were worth about tuppence ha'penny, I'd have though it's quite reasonable to assume that Matt is not only a millionaire but a multi-millionaire ... or a spendthrift

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2017, 16:00
Huh? Yes, we're were quite poor for a while there, but now we're doing find again. Take the bitcoin out of the situation, and once again, I'm left scratching my head as to what's unrealistic.

Again, just because my work involves bitcoin doesn't mean I'm some "bitcoin millionaire". It just means my work work involves bitcoin. That, and I'm better at being blind now, so am actual capable of earning decent money again.

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2017, 19:18
500,000 THB!

Where's all the people who were always saying bitcoin is total nonsense, and just a fad for geeks, and a ponzi scheme, and all that? They sound like crickets at the moment.

Nirish guy
December 7th, 2017, 19:43
Take the bitcoin out of the situation, and once again,.

Why, its an integral part of the discussion and something you have never managed to explain away. Frequent's post above says it all, I won't bother to repeat it. Like I said not our fault if what you say doesn't add up, either as you're making it up, embellishing stuff or just down right lying sometimes. I've actually no idea which. Hence when it comes to "apologies" I too wouldn't be in queue as you quite happily have trotted out the same lines for years now and I know you're not surprised when people query that.

As for your meeting with Joe, I hope it DOES go ahead ( which I actually believe it will) as it might give you some credibility as up until now details such as the bitcoin stuff that you'd rather leave out of the equation it seems just makes people, myself included, scratch their head and think "What, the just doesn't make sense".

But hey at the crazy rate that Bitcoin is going through the roof right now i'm starting to think that you COULD spring for poor Joes hotel and hooker after all perhaps ! And just because it's going through the roof - mainly because of greedy people all looking to cash in and people who are going to be sorely stung when the bubble bursts, doesn't mean that Bitcoin in itself is any better and idea that it was a year ago of course - well except for people like yourself you've been in there from the start and so have (we assume) built up even tiny savings there - as of course this tiny savings now would be worth a LOT of money - hence the head scratching at poor, not poor, poor again and now COULDN"T be poor ( or even just well off) surely as you MUST be very well off now thanks to Bitcoin - no ?

By the way, in view of this unprecedented increase in the value of your Bitcoin out of interest are you "cashing in" and taking the benefit of the rise or sitting tight and leaving "whatever" bitcoin you have sitting there to carry on increasing as they have been perhaps?

Smiles
December 7th, 2017, 20:38
The crazed euphoria surrounding Bitcoin sounds very much akin to the Tulip Bubble in Holland in the middle 1600's.
( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania )
At the cost of NOT becoming rich on the back of this mania I will sit back and watch the tears flow ... as they will sooner or later.

"The term "tulip mania" is now often used metaphorically to refer to any large economic bubble when asset prices deviate from intrinsic values."

joe552
December 7th, 2017, 20:47
Smiles, not all of us will remember that event, so thanks for sharing.

a447
December 7th, 2017, 20:55
This from you, Matt:

The only one I want an apology from is a447. The rest I can just shrug off as typical forum BS and banter.

and this from Nirish:

Hence when it comes to "apologies" I too wouldn't be in queue as you quite happily have trotted out the same lines for years now and I know you're not surprised when people query that.

means that I am now having second thoughts about issuing you with an apology of you really are blind.

If you expect an apology from me, but not from others - some of whom have been harsher in their criticism than me - then you are singling me out. You are being unfair - the very same criticism you have of me.

And it also suggests that your constant protestations about your hurt feelings are just a part of the game you are playing. Obviously, you are not all that offended afterall.

But to tell the truth, something inside me says that questioning your "I'm blind" story deserves an apology from me if your story turns out to be true.

So let's just get it over and done with here and now.

I don't want to wait until Joe goes up to KK. We can solve this within minutes of your reading of this post. Here's how:

You have posted a couple of times that you have an MRI scan. It shows damage to the optic nerve, which has left you with 5% vision in both eyes. However, you have refused to show it.

Yet you have posted a photo of yourself (allegedly) by which you can now be easily identified. So disclosing part of a document should not be a problem.

So why not take a photo of the part of the MRI which shows the diagnosis and post it here? Of course, you would cover up any personal details which could identify you. Just include the part showing your age or year of birth.

If you did that, it would save Joe a 12 hour round bus trip and he could spend that time enjoying himself in Pattaya, which I believe is the main aim of his trip to Thailand.

And you will get your apology.

So why not do it?

And now, not tomorrow.

joe552
December 7th, 2017, 21:34
a447, I can't believe you just asked someone to share their private medical records. Mind blowing.

cdnmatt
December 7th, 2017, 22:51
This from you, Matt:

and this from Nirish:

means that I am now having second thoughts about issuing you with an apology of you really are blind.

If you expect an apology from me, but not from others - some of whom have been harsher in their criticism than me - then you are singling me out. You are being unfair - the very same criticism you have of me.

And it also suggests that your constant protestations about your hurt feelings are just a part of the game you are playing. Obviously, you are not all that offended afterall.

But to tell the truth, something inside me says that questioning your "I'm blind" story deserves an apology from me if your story turns out to be true.

So let's just get it over and done with here and now.

I don't want to wait until Joe goes up to KK. We can solve this within minutes of your reading of this post. Here's how:

You have posted a couple of times that you have an MRI scan. It shows damage to the optic nerve, which has left you with 5% vision in both eyes. However, you have refused to show it.

Yet you have posted a photo of yourself (allegedly) by which you can now be easily identified. So disclosing part of a document should not be a problem.

So why not take a photo of the part of the MRI which shows the diagnosis and post it here? Of course, you would cover up any personal details which could identify you. Just include the part showing your age or year of birth.

If you did that, it would save Joe a 12 hour round bus trip and he could spend that time enjoying himself in Pattaya, which I believe is the main aim of his trip to Thailand.

So why not do it?

And now, not tomorrow.

Why would I expect anything less from you? Thanks for showing everyone your true colors though, I guess.

You're such a small, puny, little man...

Not even worth the oxygen.

a447
December 8th, 2017, 05:47
a447, I can't believe you just asked someone to share their private medical records. Mind blowing.

Why? He's dangled them in front of us.

I never suggested he show his scan when he mentioned it, but seeing that he had no problem posting his photo on the internet, I no longer have a problem requesting it.

As I said, his anonymity is still protected.

cdnmatt
December 8th, 2017, 06:06
See, told you earlier in this thread a447 would somehow find his way to slither out of providing an apology, because he's just a piece of shit like that.

So a447, Joe is going to meet me in Khon Kaen on Jan 15th. He'll be able to confirm that both Leo and myself are real, and look exactly like the photo I posted. He'll also be able to confirm I'm blind, because it's hardly something you can fake.

After all that, you're still going to request my medical records before admitting that I am who I say I am. Are you for real?

I'm not uploading my medical records to SGT. Don't be a fucken idiot...

a447
December 8th, 2017, 06:10
I'm not asking for your medical records.

I'm just asking you to show possibly one sentence from a scan.

But I think you already knew that.

cdnmatt
December 8th, 2017, 06:28
Ok, quite obviously you have no idea how medical records work.

I don't know, all I know is I have a CD that has a 63 page PDF full of whatever.... do you really expect me to upload that to SGT?

You didn't answer my question. If Joe meets me, confirms Leo and myself are real, and that we are the people in the photo I posted, and confirms that I'm blind, will you issue an apology?

cdnmatt
December 8th, 2017, 07:06
And fuck a447 and his thoughts for a moment...

Bitcoin is now at 570,000 THB. What the fuck is going on???

Do you have any idea of how much cpital is being poured into bitcoin right now? This ain't just a bunch of drug dealers, that's for sure...

scottish-guy
December 8th, 2017, 13:56
a447 I really don't know what you're thinking of.

If Joe goes to KK and confirms Matt's story then that ought to be an end to the matter as far as the "is he real or is he not" drama is concerned - as any reasonable person would regard that as sufficient proof of identity.

Asking for medical records is just so unreasonable it doesn't help your case - you'll be asking for his Bank Statements next (although I note he no longer has banking facilities)

As far as any subsequent apology from yourself is concerned - that ought not to depend on what other people choose to do.

If Joe confirms the situation you should just do the decent thing and admit you were wrong to question Matt's actual existence

frequent
December 8th, 2017, 14:10
If Joe confirms the situation you should just do the decent thing and admit you were wrong to question Matt's actual existenceC'mon scotty, isn't it obvious we're dealing with someone who has OCD?

a447
December 8th, 2017, 15:42
a447 I really don't know what you're thinking of.

If Joe goes to KK and confirms Matt's story then that ought to be an end to the matter as far as the "is he real or is he not" drama is concerned - as any reasonable person would regard that as sufficient proof of identity.

Asking for medical records is just so unreasonable it doesn't help your case - you'll be asking for his Bank Statements next (although I note he no longer has banking facilities)

As far as any subsequent apology from yourself is concerned - that ought not to depend on what other people choose to do.

If Joe confirms the situation you should just do the decent thing and admit you were wrong to question Matt's actual existence

Hang on a minute.

I'm not denying matt is real. I have never questioned his "actual existence", as you say. Obviously, someone is typing the comments and clicking on "submit." He is a real person. So Joe meeting him merely confirms what I already know.

What I, and many others, are questioning is whether or not he is really blind.

Also, I have just said that I am not asking for his medical records. I just want to see the words "optic nerve" or "5% vision". No need to post the contents of the CD - just a screenshot showing these few words.

Surely, if he can post a photo of himself on the net he should have no objections to posting a few words out of a document. His anonimity would in no way be compromised.

That hardly qualifies as a request for his medical records.

I want to know beyond reasonable doubt. That is the common standard I use.

As for the apology, both you and Matt seem to be having a go at me when I've already said very clearly in post #55.

frequent
December 8th, 2017, 15:53
I want to know beyond reasonable doubt. That is the common standard I use.As I've said before - this is a completely anonymous Forum for middle-aged men from First World countries to fantasise about travelling to a Third World country to spend time and money on male prostitutes young enough to be their grandchildren. There used to be a rule - perhaps there still is - that Forum members were not permitted to identify other members. Matt crossed that line by foolishly posting a photograph that purports to be of himself and his catamite. But for any of us to demand actual knowledge "beyond reasonable doubt" simply goes against the principles of the Forum since its inception almost twenty years ago

cdnmatt
December 8th, 2017, 16:01
Hang on a minute.

I'm not denying matt is real. I have never questioned his "actual existence", as you say. Obviously, someone is typing the comments and clicking on "submit." He is a real person. So Joe meeting him merely confirms what I already know.

What I, and many others, are questioning is whether or not he is really blind.

Also, I have just said that I am not asking for his medical records. I just want to see the words "optic nerve" or "5% vision". No need to post the contents of the CD - just a screenshot showing these few words.

Surely, if he can post a photo of himself on the net he should have no objections to posting a few words out of a document. His anonimity would in no way be compromised.

That hardly qualifies as a request for his medical records.

I want to know beyond reasonable doubt. That is the common standard I use.

As for the apology, both you and Matt seem to be having a go at me when I've already said very clearly in post #55.

Quit moving the goal post a447. Be careful, you're beginning to show your true colors again...

a447
December 8th, 2017, 16:05
Matt wants an apology, so surely the onus is on him to demonstrate that I am mistaken.

I am not going to apologise simply because he wants me to.

If he is not after an apology, then I couldn't care less about any evidence.

cdnmatt
December 8th, 2017, 16:15
Not to mention, do you realize how much of an idiot you're being? You're asking me to produce a one phrase setence in image format. If wanted, I could fire up GIMP right now, and quickly create an image for you.

Not to mention, how exactly do you expect me to find a phrase like that in a huge 63 page document? I have no idea what it even says, because I can't read it.

cdnmatt
December 8th, 2017, 16:22
Matt wants an apology, so surely the onus is on him to demonstrate that I am mistaken.

I am not going to apologise simply because he wants me to.

If he is not after an apology, then I couldn't care less about any evidence.

Yes, I want you to own up to your actions, and be a man for probably the first time in your life.

Unfortunately, it looks as though you're not capable of doing that, which is of no real surprise...

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 00:15
A447, Youre one of the handful on here that I like and that's why this nonsense is so disappointing.

IF (and I don't know if this will even happen) Joe returns from his trip and posts a report featuring a pic of him, Matt, Leo, and assorted canines - are you seriously going to refuse to apologise because you haven't seen an extract of his medical records? Something you have absolutely no right to demand btw.

You say you are not questioning his actual existence because you know somebody is pressing a keyboard, but that is not what's meant and you know it. What is meant is Matt's persona, his lifestyle, his situation. If Joe confirms all that then surely you must accept it.

This is rather like when it was suggested that I post photographs of my trip to Thailand - which had to include a dated receipt, a thistle, and some other stuff. I did so in 2016, but still I have MiniMee posting garbage doubting variously whether I've ever been to Thailand or whether I've been in the last 5/10/15 yrs

Please don't turn into MiniMee Mark 2

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 00:27
Just to say, I don''t think meeting the dogs is in the plan which is basically, they will meet the bus and show me to the hotel. We'll meet for dinner and drinks of the 15th, and taken an all important photo. That's about it, as far as I'm concerned. I will only stay in KK for 2 rather than 3 nights, though.

I obviously mean Matt and Leo will meet the bus, not the dogs!

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 02:50
If I can bring a thistle 6000 miles, you'd think Matt could bring the dogs to the feckin bus stop!

:D

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 02:53
haha, I can barely bring one of the dogs to the local corner store without them ripping the wrist from the rest of my arm.

Don't think we'll try actually taking them into the city, to the bus terminal no less. That would be a bad idea. :)

And Joe doesn't get to know where I actually live, so I guess he just misses out on meeting my dogs.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 02:57
Matt I didn't expect to see where you live. I'm happy to stay in the city.

frequent
December 9th, 2017, 03:39
If he is not after an apology, then I couldn't care less about any evidence.Remind us, a447, you're the man who didn't know that Queen Elizabeth routinely sends Prince Andrew to represent her at Thai royal family events. I can well believe you "couldn't care less about any evidence" having personally experienced it

frequent
December 9th, 2017, 04:44
Where's all the people who were always saying bitcoin is total nonsense, and just a fad for geeks, and a ponzi scheme, and all that? They sound like crickets at the moment.A speculative bubble doesn't prove them wrong except in the mind of a rusted-on true believer. When will the bubble burst and what will happen when it does? https://www.barrons.com/articles/one-of-these-bubbles-is-not-like-the-other-1512764783

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 05:46
OMFG this proposed rendezvous is like something out of a John Le Carre spy thriller.

I'm half expecting Matt and Leo to be wearing fedoras and false moustaches at the bus station and watching out for Joe from behind newspapers with eye-holes cut in them (well, cut in Leo's newspaper anyway).

Joe will doubtless appear in a wig and sunglasses and be carrying a single tulip.

He will sit on a bench and once noticed, Matt will sidle up to the bench, sit down and whisper "They say the snowdrops in Switzerland are very pretty at this time of year" , to which Joe will hiss "Yes but I find the pansies most agreeable too - especially the ones in frilly knickers"

Joe will be slipped a microfilm of Matt's medical records which he will stash up his rectum in case he is captured by the fiendish MiniMee before he makes it back to Erin's Isle to post his account of the event.

Meanwhile the entire SGT membership will be chewing their fingers to the bone waiting on news, and a447 will be looking for loopholes.

joe552
December 9th, 2017, 08:00
That's brilliant, SG.

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 11:11
A speculative bubble doesn't prove them wrong except in the mind of a rusted-on true believer. When will the bubble burst and what will happen when it does? https://www.barrons.com/articles/one-of-these-bubbles-is-not-like-the-other-1512764783

Yeah, but people have been saying that for 8 years, and it just doesn't hold up. Same as I have a neighbor who lives across the street from Canada. Well, his wife and kid live across the street, he just shows up for about 6 weeks every year. He loves the financial markets, and keeps sending me these doom and gloom articles about bitcoin, but they just don't hold any water.

It's been 8 years of false predictions, so at some point, people are just going to have to accept the fact hthere's a new and more modern way to conduct financial transactions. It's obviously working, and working well.

Is bitcoin due for a price correction? I personally think so, but I was just recently proven quite wrong, so so much for predictions. I was personally freaking out when it hit 360,000 baht, and it now seems to be holding steady at around 520,000, so obviously I was wrong.

I can easily see a price correction in the future, but bitcoin isn't going anywhere, nor is it going to drop back down to like 2000 baht again. I know many like to compare it to tulip mania, but that's simply not accurate. That's dismissing the literally millions of man hours and countless amounts of money that have went into turning bitcoin into what it is today. It's here to stay.

frequent
December 9th, 2017, 12:11
Yeah, but people have been saying that for 8 years, and it just doesn't hold up. Same as I have a neighbor who lives across the street from Canada. Well, his wife and kid live across the street, he just shows up for about 6 weeks every year. He loves the financial markets, and keeps sending me these doom and gloom articles about bitcoin, but they just don't hold any water.

It's been 8 years of false predictions, so at some point, people are just going to have to accept the fact hthere's a new and more modern way to conduct financial transactions. It's obviously working, and working well.

Is bitcoin due for a price correction? I personally think so, but I was just recently proven quite wrong, so so much for predictions. I was personally freaking out when it hit 360,000 baht, and it now seems to be holding steady at around 520,000, so obviously I was wrong.

I can easily see a price correction in the future, but bitcoin isn't going anywhere, nor is it going to drop back down to like 2000 baht again. I know many like to compare it to tulip mania, but that's simply not accurate. That's dismissing the literally millions of man hours and countless amounts of money that have went into turning bitcoin into what it is today. It's here to stay.

I know scotty disapproves asking for Matt's medical records; I certainly don't need his psychiatric records

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 12:41
What's so crazy about what I said, exactly? Just because it doesn't fit your personal world view doesn't make it crazy.

Again,it's been 8 years, and bitcoin has come out on top each time. At some point, you're going to need to accept bitcoin as a new medium to conduct financial transactions. It's happening with or without you, so you might as well just get on board, or be left behind. Up to you.

Brad the Impala
December 9th, 2017, 15:56
I'm not denying matt is real. I have never questioned his "actual existence", as you say

That's not correct. You have done exactly that quite recently.

I think "matt" has known for a long time that members no longer believe him. He is the creation of someone here - someone bored shitless and with too much time on his hands.

You don't think calling someone "the creation of someone here" is questioning his existence?

It's certainly true that around May, when surfcrest was starting different threads accusing me of God knows what, finally leading to his decision to ban of me, that he was supported by Brad the impala and Matt. They took turns posting the same shit, backed each other up, post after post, and threw "likes" at each other at every turn. It was hilarious.

No prizes for figuring out that we are not talking about 3 separate entities here.

So who are you accusing of not being a separate entity here and thereby questioning his "actual existence"?

cdnmatt
December 9th, 2017, 16:21
heh, even Brad decided to chime in.

Remember a447, you even picked a fight with Brad before? He's one of the most upstanding members of this forum, so to be able to get into a fight with him is quite remarkable, but you managed to figure it out somehow.

bobsaigon2
December 9th, 2017, 17:27
The question has always been whether the KK Tales were fiction or fact. So in the minds of the still-doubtful, the question remains whether the contents of the KK Tales match the real life of the writer.

Having seen the Matt/Leo photo, I am prepared to accept what Matt has written over the years. As hard as I try, however, I am not prepared to comprehend Matt's thought processes. But that's just me. No reason why Matt or anyone else should live in a way that I think makes sense.

Nirish guy
December 9th, 2017, 17:38
What's so crazy about what I said, exactly? Just because it doesn't fit your personal world view doesn't make it crazy.

Again,it's been 8 years, and bitcoin has come out on top each time. At some point, you're going to need to accept bitcoin as a new medium to conduct financial transactions. It's happening with or without you, so you might as well just get on board, or be left behind. Up to you.

Nonsense.

frequent
December 14th, 2017, 08:10
Again,it's been 8 years, and bitcoin has come out on top each time. At some point, you're going to need to accept bitcoin as a new medium to conduct financial transactions. It's happening with or without you, so you might as well just get on board, or be left behind. Up to you.Right, 8 years that you've been banging on about Bitcoin and how you only ever get paid that way etc. etc. so logic suggests you have to have well into the double figures of the buggers - especially as at one point you told us you were going to spend 500K THB for yourself and another 500K THB for your catamite getting a Thailand Elite visa

So here's a thought. Do let us know if you don't have the 33 Bitcoin you could use to bid for this Miami penthouse - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/miami-penthouse-goes-on-the-market-for-33-bitcoin----cash-not-accepted-2017-12-13. Miami is known for two things:
* it's the cocaine importing capital of the USA, so Bitcoin is a logical store of value
* it's the retirement capital of the USA, where the hookers all wear pacemakers

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2017, 08:54
Maybe I'm just having a blind moment again, but what the fuck happened to this thread? From what I can tell at least, decent portions of it were deleted, and if I'm right, then for absolutely no good reason. There was nothing bad or against the rules in any of those posts, in any shapre or form.

christianpfc
December 14th, 2017, 17:15
Used to have a Canadian account, but that's gone. My debit card expired, so I called them to issue me a new one, the lady said I couldn't be verified over the phone (total BS), froze my account, ...

I've had money fezen in multiple accounts before that I was never able to get access to, I've had PayPal close my account and freeze the balance for 180 days, I've had my Moneris merchant account closed without warning for a chargeback rate of more than 0.5%, and so on...

With bitcoin, you never have to worry about any of that.
What makes you so sure?

I assume that all electrical/digital/cashless payment methods can fail at any time (either a technical failure or on purpose by government or criminals or terrorists), and keep enough cash to get over a month.

So a447, Joe is going to meet me in Khon Kaen on Jan 15th. He'll be able to confirm that both Leo and myself are real, and look exactly like the photo I posted. He'll also be able to confirm I'm blind, because it's hardly something you can fake.
It's certainly easier faking being blind than faking missing a limb. Although even that is not unheard (or unseen?) of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gspEVoYz6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8mTraXpg9I

Maybe I'm just having a blind moment again,...
Seems so!

..., but what the fuck happened to this thread?
Nothing (as far as I can see with my moderator superpowers).

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 18:01
christian, a couple of great videos. Thanks.

Nirish guy
December 14th, 2017, 19:00
Yes Christian good reminder not to be so easily fooled by beggars. Same as the guy who crawls up and down Silom at night on his chest, dragging himself along. Although I've heard both stories one that he's a fake and gets up and goes to a car later in the evening and the other that he's genuine, I'm not sure which.

But either way I think just for deciding to "work" at dragging himself along through the shitty dirty streets of Silom, complete with rats aplenty everywhere and people tripping over him the guy definitely earns his money no matter whether he's genuinely disabled or not !

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2017, 19:05
What makes you so sure?

I assume that all electrical/digital/cashless payment methods can fail at any time (either a technical failure or on purpose by government or criminals

No, because there is no single point of failure within the bitcoin network. The processing network is distributed across tens of thousands of computers / servers across the world.

The only real worry is that it's not backed by a government, hence isn't considered legal tender anywhere. The only reason bitcoin currently has value is because people have decided it has value. It's not backed by any land, natural resources, military, and so on though. That's bitcoin's largest vulnerability.

It's certainly easier faking being blind than faking missing a limb. Although even that is not unheard (or unseen?) of:

Don't even start. Yes, I'm actually blind. I'm sure Joe will be able to come to that conclusion on his own.

Nirish guy
December 14th, 2017, 19:22
Serious question Matt - so from the little I know ( almost nothing) about Bitcoin I think I read that you ( anyone) stores their bitcoin in a basically a online folder ( wallet) but for security reasons the smart thing to do is to save the separately offline on say a portable hard drive etc. So, does one then have an online bitcoin "account" with a user name and password etc, where you then log on, connect that hard drive and buy or trade your bitcoin then ? Is that roughly how that works ? And if so, my question then, what if that off line stand alone hard drive that you saved your bitcoin too juts simply fails ( as hard drives are known to do from time to time) - do you / can you have a back up copy or is there some form or written down numbers somewhere that you would print off in case of such an emergency that would allow you still to trade and ensure you haven't lost all your bitcoin etc ??

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 20:04
Thanks NIrish, I almost understood that post. Actually, I understood more than I need to but it's an interesting question.

arsenal
December 14th, 2017, 20:08
Bitcoin is one of two subjects I regularly try to fully understand but can't. The other is Chinese history from 1937 to 1949. Simply too complex.

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2017, 20:26
@NIrish -- If you're thinking of getting into bitcoin, by no means use an online web wallet. Download for example Electrum, and create your own wallet. Electrum will give you a private key that looks something like:

------
xprv9uLTx27spgZJdqXogmUiHUm4XgWFxcc2zRki9A9aWur8vB 5hj3micsEd4VvJM4G3jsGPMRbi9HGJHs5mXE6crtGd25xGDP28 XjyuXjS96YD
------

Think of that as basically the PIN code to your bank card. That's all you need, and you will always have full access to your funds. However, it's your responsibility to keep it secure and protected, as if you lose it, there is no bank to call. You just simply lose the money.

As long as you keep that private key, then that money is probably far more secure than in a traditional bank account. Nobody can touch it -- not any bank, government, nothing. It's yours.

Nirish guy
December 15th, 2017, 02:00
@NIrish -- If you're thinking of getting into bitcoin

Im not, I was merely enquiring out of interest to hear how that worked thanks

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2017, 02:57
Thinking about it, where did the thief known as bruce_nyc go? I miss him telling me how wrong I am about bitcoin, and how everyone should trust their money with AirBitz.

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 03:29
Thinking about it, where did the thief known as bruce_nyc go?.Did the memory loss accompany the blindness? As I recall Surfcrest banned him for promoting his own, rival, forum here

bobsaigon2
December 15th, 2017, 03:34
Thinking about it, where did the thief known as bruce_nyc go? I miss him telling me how wrong I am about bitcoin, and how everyone should trust their money with AirBitz.

His "poly-amorous" relations with men in New York were laughable. When he tried to replicate that in Thailand, it was positively inhumane, as he attracted and then discarded several young men before planning to bring a Burmese youth to the US as his fiance. For the boy's sake I hope that never happened. I'm sure the required marriage within 90 days of arrival in the US would never have materialized and the youth would be left floundering with no legal means to remain in America. Hopefully, bruce is now spending his time as a fugitive of some sort.

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 03:41
@NIrish -- If you're thinking of getting into bitcoin .... As long as you keep that private key, then that money is probably far more secure than in a traditional bank account. Nobody can touch it -- not any bank, government, nothing. It's yours.Just like the Silk Road guy

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 03:44
Hopefully, bruce is now spending his time as a fugitive of some sort.A typical comment from the despicable poster who always hopes for the worst for other people

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2017, 05:29
Just like the Silk Road guy

That's a little different, no? The FBI stole his laptop while it was on and he was sitting in a coffee shop.

I guess if the police did that to me, they'd also have access to my funds too. If the police ever decided it was best to raid me in a coffee shop though, then I think my bitcoin holdings would be the least of my worries.

joe552
December 15th, 2017, 05:37
Enough of this bitcoin nonsense - when are we getting to the sex and drugs mentioned in the thread title?

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 06:21
That's a little different, no? The FBI stole his laptop while it was on and he was sitting in a coffee shop.

I guess if the police did that to me, they'd also have access to my funds too. If the police ever decided it was best to raid me in a coffee shop though, then I think my bitcoin holdings would be the least of my worries.Exactly - your so-called security is a mirage

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 06:23
Enough of this bitcoin nonsense - when are we getting to the sex and drugs mentioned in the thread title?Bitcoin is favored by pimps and drug dealers for precisely the reasons our Billy Graham of the Bitcoin sets out in his earlier post

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2017, 06:27
Exactly - your so-called security is a mirage

So you want to get into a technical debate about the security of bitcoin?

I'm game. Let's do it. You have to come up with a bit better rebuttal than that though to start the ball rolling.

I'd be careful about getting into a technical debate regarding bitcoin with me though.

bobsaigon2
December 15th, 2017, 07:43
A typical comment from the despicable poster who always hopes for the worst for other people

What on earth are you talking about? You should have quoted my entire post to give it context, Your comment makes no sense.

Other examples of me hoping for the worst for other people?

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 08:22
So you want to get into a technical debate about the security of bitcoin?That would be like getting into a debate with your namesake about the nature of salvation and equally as pointless

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2017, 08:42
That would be like getting into a debate with your namesake about the nature of salvation and equally as pointless

Or in other words, "I have no fucken idea what I'm talking about". Got it.

If you want to imply you have a better understanding of the technicalities of bitcoin, I dare you to challenge me.

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 09:03
Or in other words, "I have no fucken idea what I'm talking about". Got it.

If you want to imply you have a better understanding of the technicalities of bitcoin, I dare you to challenge me.
Surely you realize by now I regard you as a joke?

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2017, 09:25
And surely you realize by now you're making yourself look like a joke, right?

Again, if you're going to say the security of my bitcoin is just a mirage, then back it up with an argument.

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 09:59
And surely you realize by now you're making yourself look like a joke, right?.Oh god I hope everyone thinks like that. I’d hate to be taken seriously - where’s the fun in that?

Andaman!
December 15th, 2017, 11:01
Best for him to wait until Vientiane, when we have a nice house, proper Western kitchen, etc. If I'm really lucky, and get my way, even a swimming pool in the backyard. :)

..........all paid for with Bitcoin?

christianpfc
December 15th, 2017, 13:39
No, because there is no single point of failure within the bitcoin network. The processing network is distributed across tens of thousands of computers / servers across the world.
I was rather thinking of a failure of communication or electricity network. A simple power outage, and you can't access your funds, be it online banking or bitcoin! I would not put or keep all my money in bitcoin, I spread it over several banks (through work and holiday even in several countries) and keep a lot of cash.

General note: is there anything man-made that never failed? Ships sink, aircraft crash, programs malfunction, nuclear power stations get out of control, and so on. Do you remember the Titanic? Unsinkable! The Enigma code? Unbreakable!

As long as you keep that private key, then that money is probably far more secure than in a traditional bank account. Nobody can touch it -- not any bank, government, nothing. It's yours.
I would not rely on that. Even the Swiss were forced to stop anonymous bank accounts [citation needed].

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2017, 16:00
If I ever end up living somewhere without electricty / internet for a prolonged period, then gaining access to my bitcoin will probably be the least of my worries. Same as how do you pull out cash from a ATM if there's no electricity?

And there's no central authority who regulates bitcoin, hence no one to complain to or pressure to "open the books" like they did Swiss accounts. Years ago nearly every government in the world setup a committee to investigate how to regulate bitcoin, and they all came to the same conclusion -- they can't. Nobody even knows who invented bitcoin, but there's theories abound. Personally, I'm going with the NSA, but who knows.

Besides, the books are open. For example, http://blockchain.info/ -- every transaction ever made is there for your viewing pleasure.

frequent
December 16th, 2017, 04:17
You should have quoted my entire post to give it contextThere is no need for context. Either you're the sort of person who hopes for the worst for people or you're not. It's binary. The object of your ill-favour is irrelevant. Yours is the mentality that leads inexorably to the lynch mob

bobsaigon2
December 16th, 2017, 08:24
There is no need for context. Either you're the sort of person who hopes for the worst for people or you're not. It's binary. The object of your ill-favour is irrelevant. Yours is the mentality that leads inexorably to the lynch mob

Right, here's the whole bit. And I still have no idea what you're talking about. Can you find one other example of me hoping for the worst for people? No. You neglected to give examples of the history you claimed to have seen in my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post

I replied to Matt's reference to bruce: His "poly-amorous" relations with men in New York were laughable. When he tried to replicate that in Thailand, it was positively inhumane, as he attracted and then discarded several young men before planning to bring a Burmese youth to the US as his fiance. For the boy's sake I hope that never happened. I'm sure the required marriage within 90 days of arrival in the US would never have materialized and the youth would be left floundering with no legal means to remain in America. Hopefully, bruce is now spending his time as a fugitive of some sort.

frequent
December 16th, 2017, 09:07
I still have no idea what you're talking about.Excellent

Surfcrest
December 23rd, 2017, 13:51
Did the memory loss accompany the blindness? As I recall Surfcrest banned him for promoting his own, rival, forum here

No, bruce_nyc was banned because of the bitcoin thing.Once you have a community of people together and someone infects them with an idea to make money, that actually turns into losing money...that just smelled of liability. Of course, had we taken his advice back then...

Having said that, I see he's still a member now that this current software reactivated him when we upgraded a while back.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?17383-Alternatives-to-Western-Union&p=201183&viewfull=1#post201183

There are some good chuckles later on in this thread, between guest = kommentariat = frequent and I, for memory sake!

frequent
December 30th, 2017, 10:10
..........all paid for with Bitcoin?Here's a story about a typical use for Bitcoin (http://www.dw.com/en/russias-bitcoin-expert-pavel-lerner-freed-after-kidnapping/a-41975644)

cdnmatt
December 30th, 2017, 12:18
How common of a name is Pavel in Russia / Ukraine?

I actually have a guy named Pavel on my Skype list, haha

Moses
December 30th, 2017, 12:43
How common of a name is Pavel in Russia / Ukraine?

I actually have a guy named Pavel on my Skype list, haha

very common in Ukraine, less common in Russia

frequent
January 21st, 2018, 03:04
And now ...