PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Thailand from the UK just got more expensive

frequent
November 25th, 2017, 07:22
But only for those who fly up the front of the plane (https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/flying-from-uk-more-expensive-premium-pax/). I'm hoping Scotty will make this sort of rip-off a cornerstone of his reasoning for an independent Scotland, and it may tempt Joe to fly out of Dublin rather than Belfast

Nirish guy
November 25th, 2017, 07:24
i think you'll find that's the other way round already re Joe ( if he's wise).

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2017, 07:26
Am I having a blind moment again, or where is the substance? There's no images or links in the OP, right?

So why are flights getting more expensive?

frequent
November 25th, 2017, 07:36
Am I having a blind moment again ...Yep

colmx
November 25th, 2017, 07:40
seems to me that's its all part of a plan to send all "regional" Brits out of Britain on Aer Lingus flights to Ireland and take their long haul flights from Dublin.

Dublin Airport is currently the fastest growing airport in Europe and has had unprecedented growth despite its miniscule population...

This then leaves the Heathrow slots open for the high paying (indigenous) Middle Eastern clients to take on the international taxes

scottish-guy
November 25th, 2017, 08:13
Admittedly it's high season but it would have cost me 2700GBP for 2px flights out of Vietnam to Glasgow (that's Economy)

London was 1150 GBP

Guess who's getting the train from London to Glasgow

:D

frequent
November 25th, 2017, 08:20
Guess who's getting the train from London to Glasgow Sadly the Flying Scotsman goes to Edinburgh not Glasgow and in any event it's Virgin, so that rules it out for you on two counts

joe552
November 25th, 2017, 08:24
I always fly from Dublin, frequent, since that's where I live. Are you confusing me with NIrish? There are a range of options flying from Dublin, including most of the Middle Eastern carriers. This time I'm going with Turkish via Istanbul. Hate Heathrow and would never use it.

scottish-guy
November 25th, 2017, 08:34
...it's Virgin, so that rules it out for you...

Fuck you, I was a virgin 137 times before I even reached 20

frequent
November 25th, 2017, 08:36
I always fly from Dublin, frequent, since that's where I live. Are you confusing me with NIrish? There are a range of options flying from Dublin, including most of the Middle Eastern carriers. This time I'm going with Turkish via Istanbul. Hate Heathrow and would never use it.It's a far, far simpler explanation, Joe. I'm simply not interested in anyone or anything outside the world's major metropolitan areas, so just lump people and places together. a447 keeps repeating a mistake I made about Chavez, as if I should care that one South American banana republic is any different to another

frequent
November 25th, 2017, 08:37
Fuck you, I was a virgin 137 times before I even reached 20 Ah yes, that religious status a "born again virgin"

scottish-guy
November 25th, 2017, 19:11
Also I faked it every time

riverdee
November 26th, 2017, 05:00
I loved BA in the old days ,then got pissed off with them but my last two flights to Aberdeen to BKK via heathrow was excellent flying into T5 and departing T5 secuirity,immigration,no problem at all and no currency change except having to have English pound notes as Scots bank notes still not accepted,but on the whole Heathrow for me

gerefan2
November 26th, 2017, 08:49
But only for those who fly up the front of the plane (https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/flying-from-uk-more-expensive-premium-pax/).

16 GBP more? You can afford it!! Next topic please....

arsenal
November 26th, 2017, 09:29
Flights are still cheap cheap cheap in real terms compared to 25 years ago.

FarangRuMak
November 26th, 2017, 09:54
Flights are still cheap cheap cheap in real terms compared to 25 years ago.

That’s back in the day of the ‘National’ Airlines wherein the citizens who were so proud of their BA, Air France, Luftanza, Aer Lingus, Air Italia etc that they got an orgasm out of being (financially) screwed.

arsenal
November 26th, 2017, 09:59
FRM. Yes. The internet smashed the airlines. Its an industry that seems to be borh booming and in crisis at the same time. More and more airlines starting up while the established carriers are desparately looking to increase revenue.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2017, 10:33
I just love the intellectually stimulating debates SGT offers. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

joe552
November 26th, 2017, 11:27
Ha, says the master of the intellectually stimulating debate..Did you "read" your post about the house? Insects, mice, floor mats?

Yes, very stimulating.

joe552
November 26th, 2017, 11:33
It amazes me that the route from Dublin to the Middle East can apparently support 3 carriers - Etihad, Emirates, and now Qatar.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2017, 11:43
Ha, says the master of the intellectually stimulating debate..Did you "read" your post about the house? Insects, mice, floor mats?

Yes, very stimulating.

Yeah, better than this mouse turd of a thread. At least it helps give folks like Dalewood an idea of what they may be in for if they decide to visit and sleep in a villiage in Issan.

joe552
November 26th, 2017, 12:00
For those of us travelling from Europe, the US, or even Canada, flight prices and airline comparisons are important.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2017, 12:20
Ok, understood. This thread is just a bunch of one-liners of bullshit though...

Or is this just what older folk interpret as information nowadays? No wonder Trump is currently US President...

frequent
November 26th, 2017, 12:32
Ok, understood. This thread is just a bunch of one-liners of bullshit though... Or is this just what older folk interpret as information nowadays? No wonder Trump is currently US President...As you get older Matt one of the things you will realise is that there is less and less certainty about more and more. Stamp your foot if you must, but one-liners help people get through the day because they are reminders that there's four-fifths of five-eights of sweet fuck all anyone can do about anything

FarangRuMak
November 26th, 2017, 12:42
Yeah, better than this mouse turd of a thread. At least it helps give folks like Dalewood an idea of what they may be in for if they decide to visit and sleep in a villiage in Issan.
I had coffee with an Oxford graduate near that Chinatown Arch in London during the Summer and among the many intellectual gems that he dropped was that we were no further than 1 yard from a rat.

frequent
November 26th, 2017, 12:51
I had coffee with an Oxford graduate near that Chinatown Arch in London during the Summer and among the many intellectual gems that he dropped was that we were no further than 1 yard from a rat.Hardly an "intellectual gem", more a statement of fact, and widely known. Google it

FarangRuMak
November 26th, 2017, 13:02
Hardly an "intellectual gem", more a statement of fact, and widely known. Google it
Yes.
But if a mouse in Isaan gets a mention the rat in London needs to be recognised too.
These are times we’re living in.
PS.
For our French etc members a ‘Yard’ is what the English will be using for doing vital measurements after Brexit.
It’s a bit on the short side but it will do the job fine.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2017, 13:03
As you get older Matt one of the things you will realise is that there is less and less certainty about more and more. Stamp your foot if you must, but one-liners help people get through the day because they are reminders that there's four-fifths of five-eights of sweet fuck all anyone can do about anything

Ok, so as I get older I'll get more apathetic? Got it, and think I knew that one already.

Still only 36 though, so still young enough to change this world for the better, :)

gerefan2
November 26th, 2017, 13:49
Matt...You’re absolutely right, totally correct....this thread has reached the Pitts ...just as you say one liner bullshit.... your last sentence demonstrates that exactly.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2017, 13:54
Matt...You’re absolutely right, totally correct....this thread has reached the Pitts ...just as you say one liner bullshit.... your last sentence demonstrates that exactly.

Just thought I'd join in with the chorus, that's all. :)

frequent
November 26th, 2017, 16:21
Still only 36 though, so still young enough to change this world for the better, :)Excellent Matt, just the comment I've been waiting for. What exactly have you done in the past week/month/year "to change this world for the better"? I ask because like most members here I'm aware that you have abandoned the democratic country of your birth where you might "make a a difference" in order to live illegally in a foreign country where political activism is strongly discouraged.

Do tell. We can hardly wait

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2017, 17:00
Excellent Matt, just the comment I've been waiting for. What exactly have you done in the past week/month/year "to change this world for the better"? I ask because like most members here I'm aware that you have abandoned the democratic country of your birth where you might "make a a difference" in order to live illegally in a foreign country where political activism is strongly discouraged.

Do tell. We can hardly wait

Oh, I ain't no Obama or MLK, that's for sure. However, I am a good tech guy. Expect us to be living in a much more sensor driven world in the coming years / decades. The age of initiating a search is coming to an end, and instead the internet / cloud should know us well enough personally to allow for our environment to initiate the conversation with us. This type of technology already exists, and is already in place at warehouses, shipping ports, and so on, but has yet to be brought out to the general public en masse.

Plus lots of other ideas in that realm I have in mind. That's how I will help. On top of that, I have a bit of an advantage on this, because I'm blind now, haha. Having my environment communicate with me like I have in mind isn't only a convienence, but a nessecity.

As for political activism, no thanks. All I can do there is give my viewpoints to those closest to me, with hopes they vote correctly when it comes time for an election. As I've said many times now, this cynicism has to stop as it's permeated the Western world, and is why Trump is currently US President. This starts at the family dinner table, and myself trying to take it any further than that isn't happening.

goji
November 26th, 2017, 17:40
Admittedly it's high season but it would have cost me 2700GBP for 2px flights out of Vietnam to Glasgow (that's Economy)

London was 1150 GBP

Guess who's getting the train from London to Glasgow

Is that better than a flight to London Sh**hole (Luton) airport & onward train ?

scottish-guy
November 26th, 2017, 18:01
As far as I'm aware there's no flights from Vietnam to London Luton - but if you tell me there are then I shall probably cry for not looking.

The cost of 2700 GBP to fly SGN-GLA has been replaced with 1150 GBP to fly SGN-LHR and then 160 GBP first class train to Glasgow. Overall it's adding about 3 hours to their journey but that's just tough titty I'm afraid

goji
November 27th, 2017, 00:45
Well, I meant take an Easy Jet plane from one of your local airports to Luton, then take the train & underground onwards to Heathrow. I figured it would be quicker.

However, first class on one of beardy Branson's trains would probably be a lot more relaxing, so I see why you are taking that option.

I think there were, in recent years, direct flights to Vietnam from Gatwick a couple of times a week. Am not sure if these still operate & am not sure which end of Vietnam they go to either (so I'm not much use, but I make sure I tick the all London airports box when searching).

scottish-guy
November 27th, 2017, 01:23
Your correct Goji - Vietnam airways used to fly direct from LGW, but they moved it to LHR.

Used them once - they are very good.

Just to clarify, I'm not travelling to Vietnam, my BF and his dad are coming from Vietnam to visit me - so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible whilst keeping the price realistic. So they'll fly direct into LHR (where I'll meet them), then taxi to Euston, and train to Glasgow

joe552
November 27th, 2017, 03:22
SG I'm sure they'll love the train ride. The countryside is so different from Vietnam (well, obviously). But the West Coast mainline will show them some lovely scenery.

Out of interest, how long is the journey?

scottish-guy
November 27th, 2017, 04:39
4hrs 30m Joe.

Sounds a long time but I cant be sure how long to get them through immigration at LHR - and the next practical flight from LHR would have involved a 6hr wait.

This way the three of us (I'm going down the previous afternoon) will be on the move as soon as they clear immigration - taxi from LHR to Euston - and can relax in the First Class lounge there while waiting on train.

Taking everything into consideration there will be very little time difference "door to door"

Plus we'll all get inclusive hot and cold drinks, booze, and food on the train - and have the advantage of being able to get up and walk about during the journey.

I used to fly in/out of London any time I had a meeting there (about 8 times a year minimum) - now I never do, because I simply can't be bothered with all the hassle it involves. Far prefer the train, city centre to city centre.

joe552
November 27th, 2017, 05:22
That sounds great SG.

frequent
November 27th, 2017, 11:53
Oh, I ain't no Obama or MLK, that's for sure. However, I am a good tech guy. Expect us to be living in a much more sensor driven world in the coming years / decades. The age of initiating a search is coming to an end, and instead the internet / cloud should know us well enough personally to allow for our environment to initiate the conversation with us. This type of technology already exists, and is already in place at warehouses, shipping ports, and so on, but has yet to be brought out to the general public en masse.

Plus lots of other ideas in that realm I have in mind. That's how I will help. On top of that, I have a bit of an advantage on this, because I'm blind now, haha. Having my environment communicate with me like I have in mind isn't only a convienence, but a nessecity.

As for political activism, no thanks. All I can do there is give my viewpoints to those closest to me, with hopes they vote correctly when it comes time for an election. As I've said many times now, this cynicism has to stop as it's permeated the Western world, and is why Trump is currently US President. This starts at the family dinner table, and myself trying to take it any further than that isn't happening.A rather lengthy way of saying "Fuck all and I don't care". You've done nothing, you're just a "gonna" - I'm gonna do this, or more accurately, other people are gonna do this. And "I've got some ideas". Wow. In Khon Kaen - or is it Vientiane these days?

bobsaigon2
November 27th, 2017, 12:06
"to change this world for the better"?

Matt, there may be quite a few board members who have spent years, maybe decades in trying to change the world for the better and have been successful at doing so. Thus, some may not be impressed when a 36 year old who has accomplished nothing (as far as we know) says he hopes to do something in future to make the world a better place.

FarangRuMak
November 27th, 2017, 23:34
4hrs 30m Joe.

Sounds a long time but I cant be sure how long to get them through immigration at LHR - and the next practical flight from LHR would have involved a 6hr wait.

This way the three of us (I'm going down the previous afternoon) will be on the move as soon as they clear immigration - taxi from LHR to Euston - and can relax in the First Class lounge there while waiting on train.

Taking everything into consideration there will be very little time difference "door to door"

Plus we'll all get inclusive hot and cold drinks, booze, and food on the train - and have the advantage of being able to get up and walk about during the journey.

I used to fly in/out of London any time I had a meeting there (about 8 times a year minimum) - now I never do, because I simply can't be bothered with all the hassle it involves. Far prefer the train, city centre to city centre.
Best of luck with your bringing your boyfriend to Scotland.
I'm sure with your carefull planning etc everything will turn out fine despite the climate.
I would give you one warning though in that your boyfriend, even if he's gay, will be targeted by women- not by gay men so much.
I would actually say ESPECIALLY if he's gay.
That's the way so many western women are now.
I know this from the experience of a friend who has a Phillipino boyfriend though he's resident and not a tourist.
Every night they go out together the straight women flock around the (very handsome gay boy) and try to take him over.
Just sayin' - maybe women in Scotland are different but I doubt it.

joe552
November 28th, 2017, 00:02
FRM don't forget his father is coming too. So double the trouble, if your analysis is correct.

scottish-guy
November 28th, 2017, 00:52
Hey I think you underestimate the love I have for my BF.

I don't think it'll happen for one moment but if he was targeted by a woman and there was something genuine between them, if he then decided to go off with her and by doing so was able to improve his situation and prospects beyond anything I could do for him then I'd obviously be sad but I'd wish him well. I'm very aware of the fact that I'm moving towards the far end of my lifespan (not too quickly I hope, but certainly in that direction)

I'm not bringing him over for me, I'm doing it for him

As for his father - well he's about 60 - he can do as he pleases.

joe552
November 28th, 2017, 00:55
Sorry SG, I thought FRM's comment was a joke and I responded in kind. Didn't mean to offend.

scottish-guy
November 28th, 2017, 00:57
Not offended in the least Joe.

Maybe FRM meant it as a joke - I replied in all seriousness

FarangRuMak
November 28th, 2017, 11:28
Not offended in the least Joe.

Maybe FRM meant it as a joke - I replied in all seriousness
No I absolutely did not mean it as a joke- I'm serious.
I have no doubt about your love for the boy and his father can do as he likes of course but I just want to mark your card on something that might surprise.
Fore-warned is fore-armed.
My friend's social life in bars and night clubs became a nightmare because of mostly 30ish + women butting in and generally getting between him and the boy.
He thought nothing of this at first but it got worse and worse and of course the Boy loved the attention.
Now they mostly go to the Cinema or to restaurants.
I don't want to overstate this but some older western women have become wierd bitches.

gerefan2
November 28th, 2017, 12:34
I don't want to overstate this but some older western women have become wierd bitches.

Ain’t just the older ones.....

FarangRuMak
November 28th, 2017, 17:30
Ain’t just the older ones.....

Perhaps, but a surprising twist is that the younger girls who were nearer the Philipino guy's age group were no problem at all.
Another thing I forgot to mention was that first group of older females my friend had to slap down were his own women friends.
I better stop or Scottish Guy will cancel the tickets.
It won't happen in Scotland cos all the matrons are well serviced in the bedroom by their Jocks.
When the old Queen Vic needed a stalion she went to Scotland for him.

arsenal
November 28th, 2017, 17:59
I too am looking forward to reading about how this pans out.

joe552
November 28th, 2017, 18:03
arsenal, don't you mean pants out?