PDA

View Full Version : New Years celebation in BKK or Pattaya?

sang09
November 21st, 2017, 16:45
This will be my first time to be in Thailand for New Years. So do you recommend Soi Twilight or Pattaya? I like them both equally and usually stay in Jomptien after just a few nights in BKK. But will be looking for upbeat good New Years celebration and guys having fun. Any thoughts?

gerefan2
November 21st, 2017, 19:15
Soi Twilight bit small compared to Jomtien, Sunnee and Boyztown. No doubt Soi 4 will be chocker.
So for me it is def Pattaya.

colmx
November 22nd, 2017, 02:36
I have always found countdown in Pattaya to be a bit of a damp squib... but it's still preferable to spending it at home in Ireland!

They normally close beach road on NYE for the fireworks... and have a big party in Bali Hai...
Last year there was no Countdown festival at all due to the mourning period, but I presume it will be back this year... So you can base yourself in BT and then stroll down to beach road for the actual countdown...

There was a Morlam (Issan concert) on 3rd road last year...which a lot of the boys went to... not sure if there will be one again this year on NYE - again it was a bit subdued last year due to the mourning... but if it's on again this year should be a good night!

Nirish guy
November 22nd, 2017, 03:23
Plus everyone does the lighting the lanterns thing on the so called beach in Pattaya which is always nice to watch / take part in when strolling down from Boystown with a friend ( even though those lanterns are very un PC now almost everywhere in the worl ( just no one appears to have mentioned that to the Thai's yet it seems or should I say they've worked out you can still make money selling them to farang so screw the environment basically......)

gerefan2
November 22nd, 2017, 03:27
Whilst I agree with your Thai/farang money sentiments, I thought he problem with the lanterns was the fires they sometimes start when they land.
Can’t believe a tiny candle can really harm the atmosphere...maybe I need to ask a tree hugger!

Nirish guy
November 22nd, 2017, 03:54
Apparently the issue is also to do with them impacting quite heavily on wildlife in that animals can get and do trapped or injured or frightened by them and the metal rings ( which don't biodegrade of course) can end up in the animal feed, plus of course there's the fire risk too in that they can and do start wild fires and thing apparently ( although like you I'd of thought the very reason that they'd land in the first place was because the candle had burnt itself out perhaps, but apparently not it seems.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/when-is-the-lantern-festival-in-2016-chinese-fire-hazards-endanger-wildlife-a6889301.html

Smiles
November 22nd, 2017, 05:20
They normally close beach road on NYE for the fireworks... and have a big party in Bali Hai... All very well, but if you have a tendency toward a mild claustrophobia (as I have, and enjoy) my advice would be to run away. I can handle the mash for awhile, but sooner or later I tend toward retreating to a dark corner and assume the fetal position.

joe552
November 22nd, 2017, 05:58
Oh Smiles. No I mean you missed out the o in foetal.

francois
November 22nd, 2017, 17:00
Fetal in North America; foetal in UK.

joe552
November 23rd, 2017, 01:18
I don't live in either.

My own view is that you have the right companion, the location becomes less important

goji
November 23rd, 2017, 04:03
I also don't live in either, but have seen in the new year on Pattaya beach for about 8 years in a row now.

a447
November 23rd, 2017, 05:07
I don't live in either.

My own view is that you have the right companion, the location becomes less important

True.

I've experienced NYE in both Bangkok and Pattaya. Bangkok was not much different to any other big city event, but Pattaya was special.

I was with my favourite guy - a regular from Eros. He took me down to the beach where we sat and drank and released those lanterns. It was an amazing sight.

We then went back to my hotel to look at my etchings.

joe552
November 23rd, 2017, 05:55
The number of boys who've viewed your etchings is legendary, a447.

sang09
November 23rd, 2017, 07:38
Thanks Guys.....Pattaya it is. Was able to book a couple rooms for the week at the Agate in Jomptien Complex, which surprised me this time of year. Was thinking my late planning would have me in a hotel removed from the action. Stayed at the new Agate last March and enjoyed the facilities and double pool.