PDA

View Full Version : Thailand..meaning

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 11:26
I assume that board members here have an interest in Thailand and have visited Thailand or live in Thailand....which leads me to my question.
Why do you like/love/live in Thailand?? What makes you want to live here? Why do you visit? What brings you back?

FarangRuMak
November 15th, 2017, 11:46
I thought the post might be about the actual name ‘Thailand’ which is an english language name to all intents and purposes.
Given the intense nationalism of the Thais the name is a little oxymoronic.
The old name was Siam but that name was abolished.
I know I could look all this up but right now I’m too lazy.
There’s also the fact that there are good historians among the motley crew of members here.
Sorry for the very early attempted topic hijack but the title is a little ambiguous.

arsenal
November 15th, 2017, 12:27
The whole post is designed to allow the OP to indulge in his sexual writings. Pathetic.

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 12:32
ArseTroll...stop living up to your new and improved monikor...maybe I do want to know..actually this was triggered by the other topic which was what to do in BKK...and too had a tepid response.
Sometimes I feel like Im missing out on something as I restrict myself to beach...and or pool...beer...local food...bars..and sex..
I did do the whole temple..palace...mega shopping centers..boat trip ...but that was it..must admit the hot tropical weather does sap my energy..I even tried jogging early in the weather..the pollution and heat almost killed me..

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 12:35
farangru...I changed the heading...happy now???

arsenal
November 15th, 2017, 12:35
Really!

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 12:37
yes..really...maybe just maybe I would like to visit with boring vanilla family and have no idea what I would do with them..
Maybe I'd like to know why people visit and or live here...

joe552
November 15th, 2017, 13:04
latin, for me it's simple. Available boys at reasonable prices. simples

arsenal
November 15th, 2017, 13:37
I don't believe you Poxxy. You had a little nibble on the 'Nobbie' thread but now you're looking to go into full blown Latinmode.

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 14:30
ArseTroll...relax..dont have a hissy fit...its not all about you...please try to find another way of getting attention..like maybe go hug a lesbian or somrthing
Joe...yeah...I gathered that..I actually also enjoy Thai food ...lounging around the pool at Babylon or on Jomtien beach...even enjoy having a few beers on walking street and watch the walking circus go by...was kinda hoping for some inspiration to do something else..

christianpfc
November 15th, 2017, 14:34
Here I can wear flip-flops all the year round.

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 15:42
I dont..I like to walk (slowly Thai style) everywhere so prefer trainers...

FarangRuMak
November 15th, 2017, 15:58
I find that Thailand never ceases to surprise me.
Just when I think I’ve seen everything something entirely new (to me) turns up.
For example, while driving near Nongprue town, I came across a bird song festival/competition.
It was an amazing sight (& sound) to behold involving about 50 bird cages each having one bird sing his little heart out with each handler all excited and rooting for his own.
Amazing Thailand.

arsenal
November 15th, 2017, 16:02
OK. I'll suspend my skepticism for the time being and pretend you're a normal poster. I love to ride down Jomtien Beach Road at 3.00am wearing just a shirt and shorts, buy an iced coffee, sit down on one of the steps, look out on the ocean and think how happy I am to have such a destination to visit. If there's a kickass lightening storm moving across the bay then so much the better.

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 16:40
its scepticism...plse...

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 16:42
...and how dare u imply Im not normal..like what is normal..an 82 year old geriatric like u slobbering all over an 18 year old MB ...and believing he actually wants to be in the same room ???

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2017, 16:43
...but on the other hand I have stayed at Tui's several times and the gay jomtien beach can be lovely at night..no bright lights..or screaming whores...

arsenal
November 15th, 2017, 16:49
Poxxy. The software prefers the US spelling. And I'm nowhere near 82. We want different things from an off. It seems that you resent those of us who like a pleasant time with a warm parting of the ways at the end. I'm not sure why, it's nothing to do with you. But, your posts have an inescapable anger and this often manifests itself in your psychotic style of writing.

latintopxxx
November 16th, 2017, 01:02
u remind me of " little britain"...computer says nah...
And now I'm a whack job...gee thanks..

joe552
November 16th, 2017, 01:21
I've been lucky to have visited some great sites - the Grand Palace in Bangkok, Preah Vihar; on The Cambodian border, places like Koh Chang and Koh Samet. And now a trip to Khon Kaen. Thailand is full of surprises.

latintopxxx
November 16th, 2017, 02:56
yeah Ive done the islands...full of chinese tourist boats throwing masses of bread into the sea to attract fish...looked like a giant had vomited....apologies if i come across a bit negative..

arsenal
November 16th, 2017, 06:39
Chinese tour groups are hated the World over and nowhere more so than in China by most Chinese. Hence the government produced a thick book on how to behave abroad.

latintopxxx
November 16th, 2017, 09:09
good luck with that..they make a bull in a china shop look like a good thing

arsenal
November 16th, 2017, 09:20
Yes. However I would point out that they are the least aggressive people anywhere and drunk girls can and do walk down the road dressed in mini skirts and a tight stretchy top with little fear of attack.

But let's get back to Thailand. I love the fact that while out on my motorbike I can call in at any roadside food stall and even if they speak no English they can do me a delicious plate of fried rice with shrimp and chicken. A wonderful snack for about 50 baht.

latintopxxx
November 16th, 2017, 13:27
least aggessive people...really??? have u ever been to a buffet restaurant with chinese guests??? one gets trampled by these " least aggressive" people as they stampede to the buffet and proceed to pile starters, mains and dessert all onto the same plate about 2 foot high...

arsenal
November 16th, 2017, 13:36
Oh they're insanely greedy when it comes to food, perhaps due to many famines and their table manners are those of a hog. When I say non-aggressive I really mean physical violence and having fights or simply attacking people.

latintopxxx
November 16th, 2017, 13:38
damn...find myself having to agree with the troll...

Oliver
November 16th, 2017, 14:53
This is an observation so I propose it with caution...is it not the case that the Chinese children we see in Thailand as well as the Chi-Thai kids tend are more likely to be over weight than others?
If true, is it the result of their parents and grandparents over-compensating for years of famine? Of course, those Chinese gods, whose images appear all over the place, tend to be well-fed as well.

cdnmatt
November 16th, 2017, 14:55
Oh, I absolutely love living in a Buddhist society far moreso than a Western society like Canada for a multitude of reasons.

Western society is simply too isolated for me. There's no life on the streets, and everyone is always in such a rush to get from point A to B, they barely have time to look up and realize they're alive. The constant squabbles that go on in Western socieities are just beyond petty and ridiculous in meyes, whereas you don't really get that in Thailand. In Canada you have to listen to people say brilliant things like, "wow, did you see the color of his shirt? OMG! how weird is that, eh?". Oh, for fuck sakes... in Thailand, that type of thing doesn't really exist.

The majority of people in Western socities are silently depressed, and once you get inside their heart and mind, they won't shut up about all the problem in their life, and their perceived problems with the world. It gets exhausting after a while. Not to mention the constant egotistical nature of Westerners, which doesn't really exist amoungst Thais.

The vast majority of Thais I've encountered are good people, who constantly strive to have a good heart and do good by their fellow humand. They're also quite down to earth, and see life and reality for what it is, and concentrate on the important aspects of life. You will almost never have a problem finding a Thai person to offer you a helping hand if you ever need one, whereas I unfortunately can't say the same about Canada, as everyone is too busy to bother.

Being gay here is great, as it's a complete non-issue. I don't like in Canada being known as the "gay guy" or "gay friend". Here, I'm just known as Matt the human, which is great. I'm sure everyone in our local area has figured out Leo and myself are in a gay relationship, but nobody cares in the slightest. And for the few people who maybe care, society here dictates they keep their mouth shut and be respectful, which is nice.

I like how there's tons of life on the streets here, from mom & pop shops where their raise a family and have friends come over because the shop doubles as their home, to all the markets on the streets, etc. You don't get that in Canada at all. The streets are dead, and only act as conduits to get from point A to B.

There's no winters here, which is quite nice. I enjoy not having to trudge through 4 feet of snow, and constantly slip on ice during the winter mounts. Can't say I miss that.

Cost of living is obviously a bonus. I figured it out previously, and we spend about 85,000 baht/month to maintain our lifestyle. This same life in Vancouver would probably be around 400,000/month, which is unrealistically expensive, at least for me.

And tons of other reasons. I have no desire to move back to Canada, and am much more comfortable in a Buddhist society.

scottish-guy
November 16th, 2017, 14:57
damn...find myself having to agree with the troll...

If she could just stop channelling Lady Bracknell ....

bobsaigon2
November 16th, 2017, 15:40
Oh, I absolutely love living in a Buddhist society far moreso than a Western society like Canada for a multitude of reasons.......

While Matt makes some very valid points, I feel there are some rose-tinted glasses at play (just a figure of speech). Apparently there are at least two SE Asias: the one where Matt lives and the one where other people live. After decades spent in the area, I have quite a different view of SE Asia, seeing countries where bribery and monumental corruption are rampant, crimes against the environment and the well being of the population are pervasive, and governments respond aggressively to any type of criticism or attempts to initiate change.

There are student groups and groups of soi residents and community groups that do pull together to help one another, but this does little to change the totality of the life experience in SE Asia.

Though Matt’s neighborhood in Khon Kaen may be ideal for him, the rest of Thailand and SE Asia is not attractive to people thinking about relocation. Those looking for an overall better quality of life, if they can manage it, will attempt to migrate, and they’ll probably choose some place which Matt would not recommend, namely, a place like Canada or the US.

latintopxxx
November 17th, 2017, 01:46
Matty boy...canada isnt the only " western world"...have u ever tried portugal, spain, italy....beautiful places with beautiful non judgemental people with ample colourful street life.....why do u think so many northern europeans either have 2nd homes there or retire there.
As for buddhism...plse keep religion out of it...rohingas may disagree...and there have been many many cases of Thais involved in people trafficking/smuggling/rape...maybe the reason everyone is so friendly and relatively well behaved is because due to the huge amounts of people out and about they are being watched...no opportunity to get away with it.

cdnmatt
November 17th, 2017, 04:09
Yeah, I've lived in lots of places. Canada from coast to coast, and many cities in between, so you can somehwat consider that about 5 countries. Then I've lived in Texas, UK, Hungary, Czech Republic, Malta, Malaysia, and Thailand. Then of course, have spent time in far more countries, so I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what's out there.

You're right, it's communal living out here, where everyone knows and watches each other, hence you're not allowed to be an asshole. Takes a while to get used to it if you're coming from the West, but it's actually a very good thing, and keeps everything safe, calm, peaceful, and respectful. You're not allowed to be an asshole, because if you are, everyone will know about within 12 hours and will shun you.

I'll still stick with what I said, that this is a far better environment than our West.

To give you one of 1000s of examples. A while back the nossle on my kitchen sink popped off. In Canada, I'd have to turn the water off, search on the internet for a plumber, call him, wait up to 36 hours for him to show up, it's probably be a fairly formal and awkward interaction, and cost me $150. In Thailand though? I simply went around the corner to the motorcycle repair shop as I know the owner, he was here in 15 mins, everything was friendly and polite, and it cost me 300 baht. A few nights later I noticed him and the pork vendor hanging out in front of his shop having a few drinks, so I bought him a bottle of Hong Tong to say thanks again. That type of simple interaction simply no longer exists in Canada.

I enjoy going to the local shops in my area, and always seeing the same people. The one shop is always the same husband and wife, with their little girl who's usually hanging out watching TV or doing homework, and maybe some friends are over sitting at the table out front having a couple beers, etc. We're not friends, but everyone is very polite and and respectful to each other, and we know each other well enough. Considering I work from home, those small daily interactions mean quite a bit to me, and simply don't exist in Canada.

Another example, my father was out here twice in the past 15 months trying to bring me back to Canada due to going blind, and both times I flat out refused. Mainly because I wasn't willing to leave Leo, but also because I didn't want to leave my home where I'm comfortable and know everything. Do you have any idea how difficult my life would have been if I went back to Canada, and tried figuring out how to be blind on my own? I'm certain, there's a more than decent chance I would have commited suicide by now.

Here though, the locals were beyond amazing. When I first started walking around to the local shops by myself again, there was no shortage of locals offering a helping hand. Just small things like helping me cross the street, get up and down sidewalk curbs, offering me rides home, etc. The few times I pushed my limits a little too much, and got myself lost, it took all of about 60 seconds before I was on the back of a random strangers motorbike, explaining where I live.

And those people didn't want anything from me, and were simply being good people and offering a helping hand. That type of attitude is what keeps society humming along nicely here, and in my mind, is far superior to Western society. Thinking about it, that's actually one of the only times Leo has actually gotten pissed off at me. When I told him someone helped, and I offered them money to say thanks. He very vehemently told me to NEVER offer money again, because it's very insulting, and if they're offering m me help, it's because they just want to help.

I'm sorry, but that type of society simply doesn't exist out West anymore. I guess maybe you could find it in some small fishing villages out in Newfoundland or somewhere, but for the most part, it's non-existent.

Yraen
November 17th, 2017, 04:43
bobsaigon2 said, "After decades spent in the area, I have quite a different view of SE Asia, seeing countries where bribery and monumental corruption are rampant, ...."

Yes, all of that is true. Corruption pervades every society and is essentially inevitable. So you have to admire the Thai - they have turned corruption into an art-form permeating society from the top to the bottom. Where everyone knows the rules and everyone plays the 'game'. There are some 'nasty players' in that mix (as always) and some wonderful societal goodness Think about the great strides arising out of certain charitable good works and the advances from '17th Century feudalism" to 20th Century middle-class society in only one lengthy lifetime.

cdnmatt
November 17th, 2017, 04:59
Og, and as for the corruption thing. Bob, you're from the US, aren't you?

Ummmm..... does anything even need to be said?

The US just went ahead and legalized corruption, and called it lobbying. The Supreme Court then passed the Citizens United act, making corruption absolutely rampant throughout the US political system.

Not to mention the current US administration, 3 of who have now been indicted, and we're still only at the very beginning. If rumors are true, there's already another 51 sealed indictments ready to go.

I don't think corruption is solely a SE Asia problem.... :)

Not to mention, at least in this part of the world, you don't really have to worry about a bunch of imbecile skinhead neo-Nazis wandering around with tiki torches yelling shit like "Jews will not replace us" and "blood and soil". Oh, and you also don't really have to worry about some mentally disturbed jackass who thinks it's a good idea to transforum a semi-automatic weapon into fully-automatic, and spray a concert full of people with bullets.

joe552
November 17th, 2017, 06:50
Matt, if you are being genuine in your posts, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, you describe a good life. If true, it's better than mine.

latintopxxx
November 17th, 2017, 06:54
damn...now I find myself in agreement with matty...time for a drink..hold the mixer and ice

bobsaigon2
November 17th, 2017, 07:03
Og, and as for the corruption thing. Bob, you're from the US, aren't you? .... Ummmm..... does anything even need to be said?

Matt, my point was not that Canada and the US are corruption free, but that you appear to be painting Thailand as some sort of Utopia and that is simply not accurate.

Btw, what about that life insurance policy. You think it's a good idea, or not?

joe552
November 17th, 2017, 07:20
Ireland is not immune from corruption. We're having a judicial inquiry into claims that a police 'whistle blower' was vilified at the behest of the police Commissioner. our 'justice' system here leaves a lot to be desired.

cdnmatt
November 17th, 2017, 08:59
Btw, what about that life insurance policy. You think it's a good idea, or not?

Nah, I'm only 36, so not ready to screw around with life insurance just yet. Besides, I don't need to give my husband any reasons to murder me, lol

And the US is probably one of the most politically corrupt countries in the world, Bob. Only difference is it's not called corruption, because the US went and legalized it by doing things like calling corporations people. Just because it's legal doesn't make it any less harmful to society, and if anything it's the other way around.

bobsaigon2
November 17th, 2017, 10:06
Yes, Matt. The US is not Utopia. Nor is Thailand. Nor is Laos.......

No life insurance because you're only 36 and you are guaranteed to live for several more decades and you don't want Leo to murder you. I understand.

cdnmatt
November 17th, 2017, 10:35
The murder thing was a joke, Bob.

bobsaigon2
November 17th, 2017, 11:22
I know the murder thing was a joke, Matt. The life insurance is not a joke.

You did not expect, a few years ago, to lose your sight. You can not be sure that next year or next week you will not lose your life.

Leaving Leo + adopted children + dogs without a means of support. OK, I didn't get life insurance till I was married when I was 32. So, now you are 'married' and you need to make sure your spouse and dependents are provided for if you pre-decease.

It sort of destroys the expectation of immortality, doesn't it? But that's life. Eventually it's a terminal condition. For all of us.

francois
November 17th, 2017, 11:30
I've been lucky to have visited some great sites - the Grand Palace in Bangkok, Preah Vihar; on The Cambodian border, places like Koh Chang and Koh Samet. And now a trip to Khon Kaen. Thailand is full of surprises.

Yes, that will be a big surprise.

cdnmatt
November 17th, 2017, 12:06
@Bob -- Yeah, true enough. Right now, I'm not too worried about it, but if / when those kids end up under our care, then obviously that will completely change things, including my entire outlook on life, and I'll ensure to act appropriately and responsibly.

I don't have life insurance, but months ago I did send my oldest brother a message with instructions to forward it to Leo in case something happens to me. It details how to access my bitcoin, and provides instructions on how to flip it over to Laos Kip into his bank account. It's not much, but best I have right now.

Still have a whole lot of other hurdles to jump over first before I begin worrying about that stuff. I'll ensure it's taken care of when the time comes though.

bobsaigon2
November 17th, 2017, 12:34
OK, Matt. I'm not being critical. Just trying to state some basic considerations for the head of a household. All I can say to you and Leo now is bon voyage, bon appetite, and bonne chance.

joe552
November 17th, 2017, 13:56
Matt, I think bob's suggestion of life insurance is eminently sensible. It's not as expensive as a motorbike, but would provide Leo with a bit of support if something happens to you. I have a small insurance policy that comes with my Credit Union account, which should cover most of my funeral expenses.

sglad
November 18th, 2017, 02:01
I know the murder thing was a joke, Matt. The life insurance is not a joke.

You did not expect, a few years ago, to lose your sight. You can not be sure that next year or next week you will not lose your life.

Leaving Leo + adopted children + dogs without a means of support. OK, I didn't get life insurance till I was married when I was 32. So, now you are 'married' and you need to make sure your spouse and dependents are provided for if you pre-decease.

It sort of destroys the expectation of immortality, doesn't it? But that's life. Eventually it's a terminal condition. For all of us.

Sounds like good advice and the grandfatherly concern is sweet. Seems like you're treating cdnmatt as a real person but what about when you change your mind tomorrow and start to question his authenticity?

christianpfc
November 18th, 2017, 09:46
If the life insurance pays out the full amount at once, the boyfriend/husband might squander it quickly, and even if he does not, his relatives might want to get access. There must be life insurances that pay out monthly over a long period?