PDA

View Full Version : Can Teresa May last the year?

joe552
November 9th, 2017, 17:00
One is reminded of Lady Bracknell's line in "The Importance of being Earnest" - "To lose one parent may be considered a misfortune....".

Now that Teresa May has lost a 2nd Secretary of State in a week, can she herself survive until the new year? I wouldn't bet on it.

scottish-guy
November 9th, 2017, 17:25
She will be kept in place until an viable alternative is identified - or she decides she's had enough shit thrown at her.

At the moment I don't see a viable alternative:

Boris is a marmite buffoon character, Gove is a proven back-stabber, Rees-Mogg comes across as an unlikable Public School bumboy, David Davis is useless, and the suggested candidature of Ruth Davidson isn't currently legally valid, so who's left?

I think the saga has some way to run yet - but who knows?

joe552
November 9th, 2017, 17:31
SG, who would have guessed you'd be the first to post on this topic?

As it happens,I agree with your analysis (see Len? they're at it again). It'll be an interesting few weeks.

arsenal
November 9th, 2017, 17:46
Shouldn't that be 'we're at it again'?

joe552
November 9th, 2017, 18:04
I stand corrected - will you smack my arse?

arsenal
November 9th, 2017, 18:06
Unlikely unless you're a handsome Thai boy.

arsenal
November 9th, 2017, 18:55
Across the entire United Kingdom political spectrum there isn't a single politician in the class of Thatcher, Hesaltine, Blair, Brown, Clark, Salmond so May will probably carry on for two reasons. One, the alternative is grim for the party and two, having ballsed up the election single handedly she owes the party.

FarangRuMak
November 10th, 2017, 04:27
She will be kept in place until an viable alternative is identified - or she decides she's had enough shit thrown at her.

At the moment I don't see a viable alternative:

Boris is a marmite buffoon character, Gove is a proven back-stabber, Rees-Mogg comes across as an unlikable Public School bumboy, David Davis is useless, and the suggested candidature of Ruth Davidson isn't currently legally valid, so who's left?

I think the saga has some way to run yet - but who knows?

I disagree about Rees Mogg - he strikes me as Likable public schoolboy bumboy which is rare.

scottish-guy
November 10th, 2017, 05:26
Maybe you just like bumboys?

:D

pennyboy
November 10th, 2017, 14:40
Rees Mogg apparently does not like bumboys as it is not in line with his devout catholic faith.

scottish-guy
November 11th, 2017, 03:55
Are you kidding - devout Catholics are at the very top of the league for liking bumboys

FarangRuMak
November 11th, 2017, 04:11
Rees Mogg apparently does not like bumboys as it is not in line with his devout catholic faith.

Nor does he look like one.
He’s straight with a houseful of kids to prove it.
He’s a Royalist but could never be king because he’ s a Catholic.
He’s curteous in debate and always gives way but returns with a barb in the “in the best possible taste”.
He will eventually be preserved in the V&A and put on display as the last speciman of the genus ‘ English Gentleman’.

goji
November 12th, 2017, 01:39
Across the entire United Kingdom political spectrum there isn't a single politician in the class of Thatcher, Hesaltine, Blair, Brown, Clark, Salmond so May will probably carry on for two reasons. One, the alternative is grim for the party and two, having ballsed up the election single handedly she owes the party.

You're right about the low calibre of politicians. However, describing Gordon Brown in the same class as Mrs Thatcher is not on. He's the one who was borrowing excessively BEFORE the crash when any responsible government should have been keeping it's powder dry.
Ten years later, the coalition and Conservative governments have only done half a job of reducing the deficit. They are still borrowing like crazy, but all we hear is the left wing media bleating about austerity. Gordon has set us on a path towards an unsustainable debt mountain like Greece. For that, his head should be on a spike somewhere.

The following comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKORcr1jhY

FarangRuMak
November 12th, 2017, 07:07
I think the heads used to be spiked on The London bridges.
If the Tower has kept its ravens the bridges should have kept their heads.
What a great idea....I can see it now;
“Listen up you Japanese ladies at the back.
This where we should have put your emperor’s head before the Americans got to him first, this the head of an Irish Budget Airline CEC, this one here is a female Scottish rebel and the one at the back is a wannabe PM from the labour benches.....”

arsenal
November 12th, 2017, 07:28
Goji. I separate the calibre of politician from the policies enacted. So while I personally agree with you about Brown's borrowing, he still ranks as one of the towering political figures of his generation. In my view. The same goes for Salmond.

FarangRuMak
November 13th, 2017, 10:29
To go back to the original question.
I’m expecting her husband to pull outside number 10 in his own car some day soon, bang on the door, barge inside and say “Pack your stuff luv you’re coming home with me” and I expect she will say “What took you so long?”