PDA

View Full Version : Learning languages

joe552
October 31st, 2017, 14:56
How good are you at learning new languages? I have to admit it's not one of my strong points (don't ask what my strong points actually are) christian seems to have mastered Thai, and I salute him for that. I guess it's easier when you're living long term in the country. I only know a few words and phrases, but I'm just an occasional visitor..

The same is true of Spanish I've been going to Tenerife for my birthday for years, and the most complex sentence I can come up with is: a que hora se abre por la manana? asked of a bar person..

bobsaigon2
October 31st, 2017, 15:58
Prof. Chomsky at MIT has suggested that we all have a built in LAD, or Language Acquisition Device. The problem is that it does not work the same way for everyone. Sometimes, perhaps many times, the LAD only works for a child acquiring the mother tongue, but does not extend to second or third language learning.

This is complicated by the fact that we learn in different ways. Some of us are visual, some audio learners and the instruction is not always compatible with our learning preferences.

And there are psychological or physiological factors allowing or limiting things foreign to become fixed in our memories.

So, yes, salute Christian, salute Moses, salute the various board members who have mastered Thai or Japanese or French or any other language besides their own.

Mickp
October 31st, 2017, 17:44
My new flatmate student is arriving next week from Vietnam so i want to learn Vietnamese from him.
Problem is im not really excited about it as i would rather better my Thai ... but maybe one day i will go to Vietnam on a side trip so need to know it.