PDA

View Full Version : Will Brokeback Mountain Play Thailand? Will Not in Malaysia

January 16th, 2006, 05:10
Some US cities have banned Brokeback. I live in the homophobe capitol of the US, Colorado Springs, Colorado. With a population of half a million, and over 100 theater screens, it is being shown at only two, in spite of the rave reviews.
I must admit that the anal sex scenes are a bit explicit for general viewing.

January 16th, 2006, 06:55
I understand that it is due to open in Bangkok theaters on Valentine's Day.

cottmann
January 16th, 2006, 09:34
in Colorado or in some movie houses in Utah, Washington State, Arkansas, North Queensland (Australia), etc. What a pathetic reaction to a great movie!

January 16th, 2006, 11:08
Some US cities have banned Brokeback. I live in the homophobe capitol of the US, Colorado Springs, Colorado. With a population of half a million, and over 100 theater screens, it is being shown at only two, in spite of the rave reviews.
I must admit that the anal sex scenes are a bit explicit for general viewing.
It is my understanding that Brokeback is not yet in "wide release" in the US, so that pattern you are seeing in Co is likely a marketing strategy only. They never intended to start the movie in a wide release like a King Kong; I do hear they are planning to go now to wide national release for the movie though.

More info:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111793 ... =1236&cs=1 (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117934946?categoryid=1236&cs=1)

Speaking of strange marketing, our local friendly street DVD dealers don't yet have it.

mikelele-old
January 16th, 2006, 21:10
Unfortunately it probably won't be released in the Philippines either. Although I am almost certain that it will find a way through via the pirates and will probably be available that way here. Censorship can sometimes be abjectly stupid. They even prevented the showing of The Last Temptation of Christ here! =)

January 17th, 2006, 00:32
What's the reason that it won't be released in the Philippines?

As we can see from the Malaysian case, the film may never even reach the censors if the distributor gets cold feet. So, is the distributor playing extra-cautious, or is the government saying 'no'?

January 17th, 2006, 08:04
More to the point, Anna & the king (and other variants) is still banned in Thailand but widely available on the streets of Bangkok

Doug
January 17th, 2006, 10:10
Best Picture
Best Screen Play
Best Director
Best Song

Sorry no best actor.

Best Actress - Felicity Huffman - in TransAmerica - about a Transexual

Best Actor - the actor playing Truman Capote.

A wonderful gay evening.

January 17th, 2006, 10:38
Best Actor - the actor playing Truman Capote.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - a wonderfully talented Arthouse Actor

His credits include:

Mission: Impossible III (2006) (post-production) ... aka M:I-3 (USA:promotional abbreviation)
Capote (2005) .... Truman Capote
Empire Falls (2005) (TV) .... Charlie Mayne
Strangers with Candy (2005) .... Henry, Board Of Education
Along Came Polly (2004) .... Sandy Lyle
Cold Mountain (2003) .... Reverend Veasey
Mattress Man Commercial (2003) (V) .... Dean Trumbell
Owning Mahowny (2003) .... Dan Mahowny... aka Double vie de Mahowny, La (Canada: French title)
25th Hour (2002) .... Jacob Elinsky
Red Dragon (2002) .... Freddy Lounds... aka Roter Drache (Germany)
Punch-Drunk Love (2002) .... Dean Trumbell
Love Liza (2002) .... Wilson Joel
Almost Famous (2000) .... Lester Bangs ... aka Untitled: Almost Famous the Bootleg Cut (USA: director's cut (DVD title))
State and Main (2000) .... Joseph Turner White... aka S├йquences et cons├йquences (France)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) .... Freddie Miles ... aka The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley (USA: complete title)
Magnolia (1999) .... Phil Parma... aka mag-no'li-a (USA: promotional title)
Flawless (1999) .... Rusty Zimmerman
Patch Adams (1998) .... Mitch Roman
Happiness (1998) .... Allen
The Big Lebowski (1998) .... Brandt
Next Stop Wonderland (1998) .... Sean
Montana (1998) .... Duncan... aka Nothing Personal (Australia: video title)
Culture (1998) .... Bill
Boogie Nights (1997) .... Scotty J.
Twister (1996) .... Dustin Davis
Sydney (1996) (as Phillip Seymour Hoffman) .... Young Craps Player
... aka Hard Eight (USA: changed title)
The Fifteen Minute Hamlet (1995) (as Philip S. Hoffman) .... Bernardo, Horatio & Laertes
Nobody's Fool (1994) .... Officer Raymer
When a Man Loves a Woman (1994) .... Gary... aka To Have and to Hold
The Yearling (1994) (TV) .... Buck
The Getaway (1994) (as Philip Hoffman) .... Frank Hansen
Money for Nothing (1993/I) (as Philip S. Hoffman) .... Cochran
My Boyfriend's Back (1993) (as Philip Hoffman) .... Chuck Bronski
Joey Breaker (1993) .... Wiley McCall... aka Agent Breaker (USA)
Scent of a Woman (1992) (as Philip S. Hoffman) .... George Willis, Jr.
Leap of Faith (1992) .... Matt
My New Gun (1992) .... Chris
Szuler (1992)... aka Cheat
Triple Bogey on a Par Five Hole (1991) (as Phil Hoffman) .... Klutch

mikelele-old
January 17th, 2006, 21:11
What's the reason that it won't be released in the Philippines?

As we can see from the Malaysian case, the film may never even reach the censors if the distributor gets cold feet. So, is the distributor playing extra-cautious, or is the government saying 'no'?

Because there is practically no division between church and state here. The church will buck it and so the people in the government who are beholden to the church will veto it or make it very difficult for people to bring it in. If they do bring it in, I imagine protest by extremist groups at the movie houses etc... delicious. Or they'll chop it up until it's a completely different flick. That's what they did to Schindler's List here. There was supposedly one ultra special 'R' rated viewing of it - but even that viewing had edits. Pathetic little minds. :puke:

January 18th, 2006, 23:52
Still no sign whether it's coming to Thailand? The film's definitely opening in Singapore. The charity premiere will open on Feb 8. See http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/arti ... warticle=1 (http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/article.php?articleid=1597&viewarticle=1)

January 19th, 2006, 07:32
I told you already: February 14 opening in Bangkok.

January 20th, 2006, 17:18
I'm sure Brokeback Mountain will be released in the Philippines but in one or two theatres (the two moviehouses identified with art films in Makati and Malate) most likely. The public clamor for the movie outside the gay community is quite encouraging.

PeterUK
January 20th, 2006, 18:25
The Capote movie is mentioned in a list above. Does anyone know if it's available on DVD in Thailand yet? I've been looking without any success.