PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to either Kunming or Jinghong

Bob
July 17th, 2006, 08:31
During my October trip to LOS, my Chiangmai boss and I are planning on taking a 3-4 day side trip to either Kunming or
Jinghong, China (since Thai and Bangkok Airways fly direct from Chiangmai). Anybody been to either location and have any
tips/comments?

Hong Kong is also in the running for the side trip but it might be a bit expensive for my blood.

travelerjim
July 17th, 2006, 09:34
Hi Bob,

Remember to include the added costs of getting both you and your bf a single entry Tourist Visa to visit China...can add up to about US 125.00 or more for the two visas.

No tourist visa required for Hong Kong...just valid Passports from you and your bf.

Have been to Beijing...great place to visit ...Will be interested in learning of your choices and followup report.

Have a great trip....and may I add...be sure to get your bf an international health & travel insurance policy...just in case! I do whenever my bf and I travel outside of Thailand. I like to have the costs of his sickness or accident be paid (less deductible chosen) by an health insurance company and not my full responsibility.

TravelerJim
For Affordable International Health & Travel Insurance
Please visit www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

Bob
July 17th, 2006, 09:54
Good advice, Jim.

I'm aware of the visa requirements for China (he'll apply for his in Chiangmai and I'll apply for mine in the states) and aware
there's no visa requirement for either him or me in Hong Kong.

Only added question I have is whether there is any possibility I can get my visa in Chiangmai too (Chinese website says you
must apply for the visa in your home country but it'd be easier if all I had to do was go down to the consulate near the Chiangmai Gate). Any expat obtain a China visa from a Chinese consulate/embassy while in Thailand?

travelerjim
July 17th, 2006, 10:15
Hi Bob,

On our last trip to Beijing, China, both my bf and I got our China Tourist Visa through a travel agent in Pattaya / NS Travel. A little extra handling fee...but well worth it as we did not have to go in person to the China Embassy in Bangkok to apply for it and then go back and pick it up.

Not sure about ChiangMai...

TravelerJim

July 17th, 2006, 17:01
Any expat obtain a China visa from a Chinese consulate/embassy while in Thailand?

Dear Bob,

I've gotten a few China visas at the Chinese Consulate (just past Fortune Town in the Huay Guang neighbourhood) in Bangkok -- both single entry and 6 months multiple entry. But if you can get a travel agent to do it (which is what I do here in HK), that is MUCH better!

Cheers,

David

Bob
July 18th, 2006, 04:38
Thanks, guys, for the information. If we go to China, I'll probably get my visa through a service in Washington DC (I'll just mail the materials over there) just to make sure I can get the visa in time. It sounds, though, I could get it in Chiangmai.

Sounds like I owe the board a report about the middle of November or so.....