PDA

View Full Version : options for Chicago-BKK

Joachim
October 30th, 2017, 02:02
I usually use Korean air or fly through Tokyo. I feel uncomfortable (due to North Korean situation) to do it this time.
I also prefer direct flies without intermediate stops in US. Right now consider Eva (which now has nonstop flies Chicago-Taipei) and Eastern China airlines. The latter has terrible reviews online. Any other ideas?

joe552
October 30th, 2017, 03:37
I flew with Eva from Heathrow to Bkk in premium economy some years ago. I was very happy with the whole experience (except Heathrow). So Eva get a thumbs up from me. I don't know what their product is like on trans Pacific route.

Blueskytoday
October 30th, 2017, 07:35
Take KAL....there is NO problem here in Seoul...I live here..no one is fretting about anything at all..

Joachim
October 30th, 2017, 08:54
I do not disagree with you. My assessment is that chances of the war are small. Nevertheless if there is a way to eliminate such a risk altogether, why not to do it ? Do not forget it is not just passing through Seoul. Something may happen during my stay in Thailand and then the return flight may become a problem (however small chances of such an event are).

cdnmatt
October 30th, 2017, 09:15
What are you worried about? I'd much rather be incinerated within a second that have to endure a slow death due to nuclear winter.

Don't worry about it.

Besides, I'm assuming the Pentagon was intelligent enough to give Trump fake nuclear launch codes, so we should be fine.

joe552
October 30th, 2017, 09:36
That's a fairly brave assumption, Matt.

arsenal
October 30th, 2017, 09:53
Matt wrote.
" What are you worried about? I'd much rather be incinerated within a second that have to endure a slow death due to nuclear winter."

Or spend an evening with the newly formed Joey, Scotty and Poxxy club.

joe552
October 30th, 2017, 10:03
Are we feeling a bit excluded, arsenal? At least you have the back up of a447 and christian to rely on.

arsenal
October 30th, 2017, 10:16
We are not a club Joe. We are a triumvirate who wear the burden of high office with dignity and wisdom.

2lz2p
October 30th, 2017, 11:53
It has been a while since I left Thailand, but my last few trips to USA, I used EVA and found them to be a good airline - I was usually flying BKK-TPE-LAX and returning LAX-TPE-BKK. Premium economy was not very much more than regular economy, but worth it for the additional leg room on such long flights.

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2017, 12:12
Don't be ridiculous, fly through Korea Bo Peep!

cdnmatt
October 30th, 2017, 12:45
That's a fairly brave assumption, Matt.

Yeah, I seem to have some faith in humanity.

Actually, I probably currently have more faith in humanity nowadays than I've ever had in my 36 years on this planet. Just open your eyes, take a look, and you'll see for yourself (yes, understood, don't worry about the blind jokes). You know, ever since I was a child I've only watched this world get worse. However, we actually seem to be moving in the right direction now.

Trump always campaigned on uniting everyone, and he actually did it. Not in the way he wanted, but he did manage to unite us. As a world, we've all collectively decided he needs to be given an eviction notice, and get the hell out of the Whitehouse.

How does he possibly still have an approximately 35% approval rating in the US? That's mind boggling to me.

francois
October 30th, 2017, 12:49
It has been a while since I left Thailand, but my last few trips to USA, I used EVA and found them to be a good airline - I was usually flying BKK-TPE-LAX and returning LAX-TPE-BKK. Premium economy was not very much more than regular economy, but worth it for the additional leg room on such long flights.

I recently flew to BKK via Seattle on EVA in Premium Economy and it was great. As for costs, PE is about twice that of Economy. $1000-Economy; $2000 PE; and 3000+ Biz

ggobob
October 30th, 2017, 21:28
Personally, I prefer EVA to KAL, but when deciding I look a how much time I'll be in transit, flying and waiting in airports. Airfare is part of it but the time factor is of equal importance when considering how to get to Thailand as my visits are usually no more than 10 days due to commitments back in the USofA.

I'm ignoring the Trump factor...it's the only way to get through the day.

joe552
October 31st, 2017, 01:08
Hey Matt, in case you haven't noticed, this thread is about flights to Bkk. What has your Trump rant added to that discussion?

gerefan2
October 31st, 2017, 01:24
Trump always campaigned on uniting everyone, and he actually did it. Not in the way he wanted, but he did manage to unite us. As a world, we've all collectively decided he needs to be given an eviction notice, and get the hell out of the Whitehouse.

But I thought you were Canadian...as in cdnmatt?

fedssocr
October 31st, 2017, 06:37
Cathay Pacific via HKG is another option.

cdnmatt
October 31st, 2017, 07:33
But I thought you were Canadian...as in cdnmatt?

Yes, I'm Canadian. I'm not allowed to care about what happens to the country with the world's largest economy, military, and nuclear arsenal?

2lz2p
October 31st, 2017, 09:09
I recently flew to BKK via Seattle on EVA in Premium Economy and it was great. As for costs, PE is about twice that of Economy. $1000-Economy; $2000 PE; and 3000+ Biz

It has been a while - when I used PE several years ago, it was only about $300 more.