PDA

View Full Version : Cabbages & Condoms

joe552
October 28th, 2017, 21:30
My friend has chosen Cabbages & Condoms for his special dinner. I've never been there, so it should be good. I just thought you'd all want to hear the final word on that saga.

FarangRuMak
October 28th, 2017, 21:42
So you must order Cabbage and Bacon:-)

bobsaigon2
October 28th, 2017, 21:42
Good choice. Bit of a climb back up from the dining area, food is OK, location is great.

a447
October 28th, 2017, 21:47
Perhaps he is hinting at some fun after dinner.

joe552
October 28th, 2017, 22:40
well he'll surely not want any fun if I have the Cabbage and Bacon! That was a standard Sunday dinner for us when I was growing up - have to confess I was never a fan - that or a big ham. All boiled for hours on a Sunday morning while we were at Mass. Enjoyed the roast beef though.

joe552
October 28th, 2017, 23:16
Btw, what sort of prices are we looking at? I couldn't find a menu on their website, but have emailed them for one. But how much, roughly, for 2 - given my liking for red wine!

bobsaigon2
October 28th, 2017, 23:19
Sorry, my last dinner there was a few years ago. Can't remember details.

scottish-guy
October 28th, 2017, 23:24
Have only passed by on baht bus - never been in due to bizarre name making me wonder wtf it was all about

joe552
October 28th, 2017, 23:35
Well, it doesn't really matter. I offered him the choice, and this is it. Although, the cheap charlie in me is hoping he's already fucked off to Morocco to work in a massage parlour, and I save a couple of thousand Baht! See, I'm a nice guy really, once you get to know me.

gerefan2
October 29th, 2017, 02:44
Take plenary of mosquito repellent if you are subject to mozzies....the place has lots of plant life and water features. And mozzies!

joe552
October 29th, 2017, 02:47
good advice gerefan, thanks

francois
October 29th, 2017, 09:40
First of all, joe, do make a reservation. And if you like the water, ask for a table near the sea. Food is good and prices are reasonable however, as I recall, the wine list was terrible.
Perhaps you can bring your own bottle but, of course,there would be a corkage fee.
The setting is wonderful so you should enjoy it very much.

Up2U
October 29th, 2017, 11:49
Get there just before sunset. Spectacular!

joe552
October 29th, 2017, 11:51
Thanks francois, I've sent an email to ask about their menu. Where is a good place in Pattaya to buy wine? I'm not an expert, and it doesn't have to be fancy, but if I'm shelling out for a decent dinner, a decent bottle of wine is part of that.

francois
October 29th, 2017, 12:43
Villa Market at the Avenue on 2nd Road in vicinity of Royal Garden is your best bet.
But before taking wine to C&C I would first check with them if ok. There menu is Thai food. Not sure if they also serve Western style.

joe552
October 29th, 2017, 14:55
thanks francois. I can eat Thai, just 'mai pek' (is that right for not spicy?)

joe552
October 29th, 2017, 15:11
I just got a comprehensive reply from Cabbages and Condoms. A wide range of Western dishes are available, and not very expensive. For instance, a fillet steak is about 10 euro.

Moses, seems like the site doesn't like the Euro sign either.

Brad the Impala
October 29th, 2017, 15:53
mai phet, but they probably guessed what you were saying anyway

francois
October 29th, 2017, 15:58
My experience has only been with Thai food at C&C; suggest you go Thai, unless your dining companion goes for Western food.

pennyboy
October 29th, 2017, 16:28
Only been there one time as part of a group of about 20. We had a big table by the sea and the food was a Thai banquet which was excellent. I don't like paying what they charge for wine in Thailand and made do with a couple of big bottles of Chang. All in all it was a great night and not expensive.

christianpfc
October 29th, 2017, 16:49
...the final word on that saga.
I bet it isn't!

I have been to C&C in Bangkok (and there at least two more branches in the provinces), and the decorations made of condoms are worth going once. That was two or three years ago, and I don't remember the food or the prices, which means both were ok by my standards.

If you like wine, rather bring it from Europe where it will be cheaper and more choice. I don't drink wine, but I like cheese and sweets, and I bring it from Germany.

2lz2p
October 30th, 2017, 12:06
I prefer the Thai food at C&C - sitting in the lower level close to the beach is best, if available. As I usually have beer rather than wine with Thai food, I have no experience with their wine selection. But, do check out their toilet decor - definitely something to be seen. The walk from the car park to the restaurant is scenic.

neddy3
October 30th, 2017, 12:44
I endorse thee recommendations already given.

It is a lovely place to eat, good food at moderate prices, and a great ambiance.

The gardens between the car park and the restaurant are lovely, with rabbits to be seen. They seem quite tame.

I don't recall ever going to the toilet there; maybe I have missed something.

I have not been for ages. This thread has made me think that I do want to go there again soon.

joe552
October 30th, 2017, 13:08
Well it seems my friend has made a good choice. They emailed me their wine list, and it starts at about 20 Euro, which is what I would pay here, so no need to bring my own.

Thanks for all the comments.

arsenal
October 30th, 2017, 13:51
I've never been there but after reading these reviews I think I'll frequent the place for a nice lunch. Hehehe.

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2017, 14:02
For Christ sake Joe enough foreplay, make the fucking trip already!

joe552
October 30th, 2017, 14:23

I understand your frustration, MFAS. I'll get there in January. However, I fear that as the time approaches, my inane posts will probably increase. So maybe you should just ignore them?

a447
October 30th, 2017, 15:36
I've never been there but after reading these reviews I think I'll frequent the place for a nice lunch. Hehehe.

I've heard about C&C but have never been there. either.

Is it only Thai and Western food, or do they also serve Chinese?

FarangRuMak
October 30th, 2017, 17:23
I've heard about C&C but have never been there. either.

Is it only Thai and Western food, or do they also serve Chinese?

Whatever about Chinese food I hope they don’t serve Chinese.

FarangRuMak
October 30th, 2017, 17:27

At this stage it’s not as yet foreplay.
It’s more like a recurring anticipatory wet dream.

arsenal
October 30th, 2017, 18:55
FarangRuMak wrote.
"Whatever about Chinese food I hope they don't serve Chinese."

This is clearly casual racism. No doubt it will have some affronted members screaming about it and demanding that the moderators should take action. Don't waste your fucking time.

FarangRuMak
October 30th, 2017, 20:30
The book “Pigs on tour” written by a Chinese lady is going to become required reading in China before travel abroad is allowed.
They don’t see any racism in this.
After the tortorous build up to the visit I don’t want Joe’s night ruined by his having to search for the boy under a mountain of strewn cabbage leaves.

joe552
October 30th, 2017, 20:55
FRM, I think I'm reasonably sober, but I have not idea what your last post means.

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2017, 21:26
Not cabbage leaves but shrimp!

https://youtu.be/wMVjskBB4w0

FarangRuMak
October 30th, 2017, 23:48
FRM, I think I'm reasonably sober, but I have not idea what your last post means.

Check MFAS’s link and you will understand why nobody wants to share a dining location with the package holiday Chinese.
Chiang Mai and even Hong Kong Chinese bolt the door when the bus pulls up.
No MFAS it’s not JUST shrimp it’s everything.
This is not a race issue.
I saw the Shananigans of the “English on tour” in Torremolenos and elsewhere but I still love The Beatles, Mr Bean and indeed virtually all the English outside of London because you’d be hard put to get one inside of London now.

joe552
October 31st, 2017, 00:36
Well I really don't approve of that kind of behaviour. But it's never happened in a go go bar while I've been present.

marti
November 1st, 2017, 18:17
See, I'm a nice guy really, once you get to know me.
And, with a lot to say.

joe552
November 1st, 2017, 21:33
And, with a lot to say.

and your point is....?

a447
November 1st, 2017, 22:16
Joe was absent from the board for a long time (a year?) but has returned with a vengeance, starting many threads which have garnered thousands of views.

Isn't that what we want?

joe552
November 2nd, 2017, 01:11
thanks a447. I just sent you a rather rude PM which I regret.

Manforallseasons
November 2nd, 2017, 01:36
By reading some of his initial posts this time around Joe apparently has been through some stuggling times and if he is happy posting here then good for him!!!!
But Joe one Gay board has already lost its identity by posting political commentary.

joe552
November 2nd, 2017, 01:43
Sorry MFAS, I don't remember posting anything political here - unless you're referring to Trump.

a447
November 2nd, 2017, 07:31
thanks a447. I just sent you a rather rude PM which I regret.

All good, Joe.

Smiles
November 2nd, 2017, 09:50
" ... But Joe one Gay board has already lost its identity by posting political commentary."
What a boring old curmudgeon you are. And what nonsense you spew.

Gaybutton Board is far from losing its identity. It has precisely one forum which could be said to be not-about-Thailand-or-Gay Stuff. All of the other forums - all 4 of them - are Thailand/Pattaya centric.
The Restaurant Reviews Forum is about Thailand restaurants.
The Business Recommendations Forum is all about Thailand/Pattaya/Bangkok businesses.
The Gay World Forum is about, guess what, gay stuff in other countries (mostly SE Asia countries).
The Thailand Forum is self explanatory.

The Everything Else Forum ~ the one you are whining about ~ stands all alone in NOT being specifically Thailand/gay centric ... its about you-know-what, 'everything else'.

The Thailand Forum hosts approximately 10 times the number of topics and posts hosted in the other 4 forums combined. Gee, that sure seems like Gaybutton is losing it's identity.

Your premise is nastily personal of course, rather then being seriously observational. You just don't like anything on any of the boards which smacks of "Not gay! Not about Thailand! And ... you dont like anyone who has the temerity to post things not about Thailand or gay stuff, even on a Forum called 'Everything Else'.
Too bad, you lose.

I must say though, you are at least a half decent bull-shitter.

arsenal
November 2nd, 2017, 10:37
MFAS...an old curmudgeon! Surely not. I always thought of him as guffawing loudly and inappropriately laughing his way through the day rather like Gareth (Simon Callow) in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

joe552
November 6th, 2017, 18:03
I haven't posted to this thread for a while - I've been rather busy spreading my inane bullshit around the board. But I thought you'd all want an update on my friend's preparations for his possible trip to Morocco. We usually chat for 10 or 15 minutes on Facebook every day (more inane bullshit), but I hadn't heard from him in a week. This happened when he went back to Laos to apply for his visa. So I emailed him this morning, and apparently he's busy learning lots of new massage techniques (stop sniggering at the back). He should know in the next few weeks if his visa has been approved. I really hope it works out for him. He's a lot more ambitious than I earlier gave him credit for.

Manforallseasons
November 6th, 2017, 18:13
Joe this is all a bit confusing, is the Lao boy going to a harem in Morocco your old flame or the other guy?

joe552
November 6th, 2017, 18:25
Strictly speaking MFAS, they're both old flames. One I met on my first trip to Pattaya maybe 15 years ago, who I went with to Issan to meet his family. He's now married and living in Sri Racha.

The Lao guy I met a couple of years ago. He's the one hoping to go to Morocco.

I hoping to meet both of them, though not necessarily at the same time. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Manforallseasons
November 6th, 2017, 18:29
Thanks Joe for the clarity. Does the Lao guy truely believe he will be doing real massage in Morocco?

joe552
November 6th, 2017, 18:39
Yes, he's convinced of it. He's never done sex work. Has been teaching massage for some time now. And the promised job is at a high end resort. He's not stupid, I'm sure he'll have checked things out quite thoroughly. Of course, there are scare stories of migrants being duped, but that even happens here in Ireland. I think he'll do okay.

francois
November 6th, 2017, 23:02
And what does this have to do with Cabbages and Condoms? Yes, I know, nothing.:mocking_mini:

joe552
November 6th, 2017, 23:29
Jeez, you're a crotchety old bugger francois. He and I will be dining at Cabbages & Condoms. I'll remind you that earlier in the thread I said I'd offered him the choice of restaurant for a special dinner and he'd chosen C&C. That's the connection.

I could have started another thread on his planned move to Morocco. Would you have preferred that?

Get over yourself.

francois
November 7th, 2017, 09:58
Jeez, you're a crotchety old bugger francois. He and I will be dining at Cabbages & Condoms. I'll remind you that earlier in the thread I said I'd offered him the choice of restaurant for a special dinner and he'd chosen C&C. That's the connection.

I could have started another thread on his planned move to Morocco. Would you have preferred that?

Yes. This is beginning to read more like a cdnmatt novella.

arsenal
November 7th, 2017, 10:21
Francois wrote.
"This is beginning to read more like a cdnmatt novella."

You think!

francois
November 7th, 2017, 15:06
Cabbages and Condoms to Morocco is quite a change of pace! :D
I am just trying to keep the discussion to the original topic.

scottish-guy
November 7th, 2017, 15:10
..I am just trying to keep the discussion to the original topic.

You naughty matelot!!

FarangRuMak
November 7th, 2017, 16:03

Get over yourself.

If you meet the owner of the restaurant would you give him
a big kiss for all the good work hes doing to counter the evangelical bullturds in the North.

joe552
November 7th, 2017, 17:37
In the North of where, FRM? Thailand, Ireland, Canada?

FarangRuMak
November 7th, 2017, 17:46
In the North of where, FRM? Thailand, Ireland, Canada?

Well he is Thai and has at least 2 branches of Cabbages and Condoms in Thailand-one in Chiang Mai- so in the North of Ireland of course, where else?

joe552
November 7th, 2017, 18:06
Thanks for the clarification. Now, almost time for Bargain Hunt, so just talk amongst yourselves for an hour or so.

sglad
November 8th, 2017, 03:25
Gaybutton Board is far from losing its identity.

I don't know what is meant by 'identity' here, but I've found GB's forum quite useful on the nuts and bolts of living in Thailand and GB himself comes across as someone who is eager to help a newbie 'settle in'.

sglad
November 8th, 2017, 03:33
Joe was absent from the board for a long time (a year?) but has returned with a vengeance, starting many threads which have garnered thousands of views.

Isn't that what we want?

I don't know who is "we" here and whether is it accurate to surmise that they speak as one. Also, I'm not sure where the authority to speak on behalf of that "we" comes from or if it's accurate to assume what they want.

Personally I have no problems with anyone "flooding" the board; I usually skim through the posts on this forum and only respond to topics and the actions described in them - not posters.

joe552
November 8th, 2017, 03:42
I think a447 was simply saying that the more posts 'we' (i.e members of the forum) have, the livelier the board is, and will encourage people to visit and take part.

Of course, a447 is well able to explain himself, and will no doubt do so in due course.

a447
November 8th, 2017, 06:06
Sglad, the "we" I refer to is those who have viewed Joe's posts thousands of times. Many are members here, others just visitors.

joe552
November 8th, 2017, 06:15
a447, really, thousands? I'm impressed with myself.

Of course, when I'm actually in Pattaya (did I mention I'm going to Thailand in January?) there'll be an opportunity to compare traffic on the site, since I won't be posting for 2 weeks. Perhaps something for some of you to look forward to.

bobsaigon2
November 8th, 2017, 07:33
Of course, when I'm actually in Pattaya (did I mention I'm going to Thailand in January?) there'll be an opportunity to compare traffic on the site, since I won't be posting for 2 weeks. Perhaps something for some of you to look forward to.

In fact, we will be looking forward to completes details of your Pattaya stay, reported daily from your nearest computer shop. BTW, did you say you have a birthday coming up soon?

joe552
November 8th, 2017, 07:55
Did I forget to mention that I'll be celebrating my 62nd birthday on the day of my arrival in Pattaya? bob, I can't promise daily reports, but maybe every couple of days - I just don't expect to have much to report. Well, apart from whether my old flame turns up for my birthday, whether we go to Bangkok to meet his parents, whether the other guy has gone to Morocco. So you see, a daily post would be a bit excessive.

arsenal
November 8th, 2017, 09:03
If you were going to any other country I would say that after a long long journey from the backwaters of Ireland you'd be too knackered to properly celebrate. However arriving in Thailand is the equivalent of a shot of pick-me-up and even the most jaded of travelers finds a new burst of energy as soon as they pass Little Siam.