PDA

View Full Version : Hotel close to Suvarnaphumi Airport

anakot
October 21st, 2017, 14:21
Can anyone recommend a hotel close to Airport? Tariff about 1200 baht per night or therabouts

FarangRuMak
October 21st, 2017, 14:40
There's one in the Airport building but I forget on which level.
By the way-what an amazing structure it is; a harmonious mixture of metal, glass and stretched canvas.

frequent
October 21st, 2017, 14:58
The only hotel close to the airport is the Novotel but that's about 5,000 baht. The others are a taxi ride away https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/HotelsNear-g293916-qBKK-Bangkok.html

joe552
October 21st, 2017, 14:59
As far as I know, the hotel in the airport is quite upmarket. I've stayed in a couple but for the life of me can't remember any names. Maybe when I've woken up a bit.

Frequent beat me to it.

anakot
October 21st, 2017, 15:00
Thanx for quick reply.
Just found it, Novotel about 5 mins walk.

Smiles
October 21st, 2017, 20:49
The Novatel is indeed located right at Suvarnaphum Airport. Mostly business stay-overs who don't care about price.

But, just a 5-8 minute taxi drive from the airport you'll find a area called Lat Prabang, and its main drag, Lat Prabang Rd. There youll find dozens of reasonably priced hotels, many of which have shuttle buses back and forth to the airport. (A taxi will be quicker). Lat Prabang also has night markets and great Thai food. So many choices.

My recommendation would be the Mariya Hotel. Weve stayed there a number of times. Not 4-star by any means, but the place is clean and the rooms are a decent size. The price is around 1000-1400 baht depending on the room size and includes a breakfast buffet.
Not sure if they have a shuttle bus from the airport, but they do have one going to the airport.

Heres the URL address: http://mariyahotel.com/ (also check out Booking.com or Agoda etc etc, you may get a better price.)

joe552
October 21st, 2017, 20:59
Lat Prabang - that's exactly the place, Smiles. I once got a taxi from Pattaya heading for a hotel there and the driver hadn't a clue (can't really blame him, he wasn't local) but instead of asking someone for directions, he just kept driving around. I was getting a bit irate, when purely by coincidence, we spotted the hotel. It's a good area. If I'm planning to stay at an airport hotel, I now ask the Pattaya driver to take me to the airport, and then I can find the relevant shuttle. I find they give a free ride to the hotel, but you pay for the return. It's never very much.

pong
October 22nd, 2017, 02:06
have stayed (half) a night once in that NVTel-very late plane, on cost of airline. Would never pay that myself for what it offers. Its walkable-for the more younger ones, but its near 1 km through maze-like empty concrete corridors along the airportlink.
As indeed smiles correctly notes, dozens of smaller Thai style HTls-most with thsu their querks, along Lard krabang. This rd is VERY long and one should not expect too much of nightfood/entertainment etc along it.
I do remember-let him be praised once too, that latin wrote about a night in a HTL named xx QUEEN there and he seduced the room/whatever boy to stay the night with him (not quite for free, if I remember well, but well below the ''going'' high rate of that time for inner BKK) doing a queen-style job!

latintopxxx
October 22nd, 2017, 02:30
How nice of you to remember. Wasnt the 1st time I engaged the services of a bellboy...rather easy in 1 to 3 star hotels...

joe552
October 22nd, 2017, 03:45
So how much did he cost you, latin?

joe552
October 22nd, 2017, 04:05
One place I now remember is Queen's Resort (I couldn't resist it). Typical for that area. Depending on your flight time, it'll probably be easier to grab breakfast in the airport.

latintopxxx
October 22nd, 2017, 12:19
to be frank Joe..i cant recall...but it was way way below the so called minimum of 1000..and was real easy too

anakot
October 22nd, 2017, 13:27
Back to the topic...
Many thanks Smiles and others for providing just the info I needed.
No more posts required for so you can continue tracking down Latinoprik's 'seduction' a la baht,

goji
October 22nd, 2017, 19:59
I once stayed in a hotel near the airport, because of an early morning flight. Never again.
The hotel had a shuttle bus to the airport, but it was once every hour.

There was a bit of doubt about whether a taxi would roll up promptly to take me to the airport, so I decided to take the hotel shuttle bus, even though the time was about 30 minutes too early.
Anyhow, once the inconvenient shuttle bus time was factored in, I might as well have stayed in Silom & got a taxi.

If you really want to do this, of course booking.com has loads of hotels listed, complete with the usual customer reviews to guide you.

colmx
October 23rd, 2017, 01:01
Just to add to the list for people looking for rooms in the future:
The last 2 times I Had an early start we stayed in @Residence in Lat Krabang:
http://www.atresidence.com/

They have a choice of bedrooms or Villas (never stayed in the villas) but the bedrooms are modern, well appointed and well maintained, as a bonus we didn't hear a sound from the airport...

newalaan2
October 23rd, 2017, 02:37
I might as well have stayed in Silom & got a taxi.

That's why we always end our Thailand trip in Silom/Surawong, have considered somewhere closer to the airport the night before a late morning flight but for us it would be the waste of an evening out. so always get taxi from Surawong.

Just for information purposes...this trip, the flight home was a working mid-week day, we checked out Tarntawan Apartments (settled bill previous evening) and hailed a taxi from Surawong Rd at 8.15am, first taxi not interested, 2nd one happy with meter. I think about Bt250 to Airport and bf paid tolls as we went Bt75? even at that time in morning with business traffic still on the go we were at the airport in 45 minutes, just after 9am, and that's been the case each time give/take 15 mins. All the morning traffic is heading the opposite way into the city, so only toll gates the hold up.

colmx
October 23rd, 2017, 02:51
That's why we always end our Thailand trip in Silom/Surawong, have considered somewhere closer to the airport the night before a late morning flight but for us it would be the waste of an evening out. so always get taxi from Surawong.
Our problem is that we would end up out until 5am and be too lazy to wake up for our flights
(has happened at least twice with planned trips to Chiang Mai!)
So better to stay in Lat Krabang (although there is meant to be a huge Thai style pub in the environs!)

Smiles
October 25th, 2017, 11:30
" ... So better to stay in Lat Krabang (although there is meant to be a huge Thai style pub in the environs!) ... "
There is indeed at least one that I know of. Lots of airport workers come here to relax after their shifts.
Located right on Lat Krabang Rd a block away from the hotel I mentioned in my post above. It's a giant restaurant (very nice food) with a stage at the back with one or two guitarists and often a 'khen' playing background music (all Thai songs, mostly Isaan). As the night wears on, drunken dudes start getting up to dance ... even later chairs and tables are pulled away from in front of the stage and a lot of other musicians join in (mostly Morlum). Getting roudier, the whiskey starts to do its work and whoopee ... !
Some of the male waiters are very cute (though the place tends to have new staff every time we go) ... and a funky group they are: old dirty white tee shirts are the 'uniforms de jour' and one guy I noted a few years ago had forgotten to zip up his fly. But he was Cambodian. Naturally I said nothing.
Can't remember the name of this joint.

(FAIR WARNING: Don't get caught up in this fun place if you are prone to hangovers and have to catch a plane at 6AM. Youll regret it. I've been there :bo: )

goji
October 26th, 2017, 01:06
That hotel appears to be located almost directly in line with a runway, so I wouldn't risk the noise.

It wouldn't be too difficult to find one a little off to one side on one of the booking websites.

joe552
October 26th, 2017, 01:16
On my last trip, a couple of years ago, we went to an airport hotel for the day, as I had a late night flight (about 11pm if I remember). It meant we could just sit about, relax, have a few beers and bite to eat. The hotel provided free pick up from the airport, and a small fee to travel back. Worked out well for me. I don't remember the name of the place, but I think there are plenty in that area to choose from. And importantly, I got to have a shower before the flight - consideration for fellow passengers and all that. I also paid a small fee for my friend to be taken back to the airport in the morning, so he could catch a bus to Pattaya.

Smiles
October 27th, 2017, 13:04
That hotel appears to be located almost directly in line with a runway, so I wouldn't risk the noise.
It wouldn't be too difficult to find one a little off to one side on one of the booking websites.
Yes, I've seen quite a few flights come pretty well right over the Mariya Hotel during the day. I assume there would be some noise but frankly Ive never been woken up by it (we've stayed there only twice). But both I and Pot are serious sleepers ... takes a lot for either of us to be woken up after head-hits-pillow time.
On the other hand you're probably right that light sleepers may be annoyed.