PDA

View Full Version : A question of "outing"

jfs
October 18th, 2017, 21:11
Consider a hypothetical SGT forum member, who is known to be from Mexico, using the nick "Whiterat".

Is it considered "outing" if the nick "Whiterat" is translated into Spanish "Rata Blanca" and used thusly in a sentence... "Whiterat" aka "Rata Blanca" is going to Cancun.

What happens if, unknown to the author of the sentence, "Whiterat" also uses the nick "Rata Blanca" in another forum?

Without any malintent to "out"... is it still "outing"?

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 21:52
I've read it twice, but still have no idea what your post is about.

bobsaigon2
October 18th, 2017, 22:06
One forum member was recently identified as a certain Youtube contributor. I suppose that's what he's talking about. But he's being a bit too cryptic to be sure about what he wants us to say.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 22:09
I obviously missed that Youtube bit, bob. I'm still no wiser what this is about. Perhaps we can get some clarification from the OP?

jfs
October 18th, 2017, 22:24
The genesis of this starts with the thread "How much to tip in Nice boys to lick ass" post #34.

A throwaway comment by me included a forum members nick translated into the Estonian language.

It turns out, unknown to me, the member uses that Estonian version of his nick on another forum.

Consequently, I was accused of "outing" him.

My question was, is this really "outing"...if it was a coincidence, and there was no malintent?

Does it make sense now?

BTW the forum member is known to have a summer home in Estonia, so I presumed he spoke the Estonian language.

It's a little complicated...I know!!

bobsaigon2
October 18th, 2017, 22:44
Does not seem like "outing" to me. Just a coincidence.

jfs
October 18th, 2017, 22:48
That was my thought also...just wanted outside perspective...thanks.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 23:16
I'm not sure about this at all. How many of us on the board can read, write or speak Estonian? Seems like a "big" coincidence to me.

jfs
October 18th, 2017, 23:28
Joe552, the point isn't that board members all can read Estonian.

My translation of the nick into Estonian was for a target audience of one.

It matters not if you and I can read it.

jfs
October 18th, 2017, 23:36
Joe552 please elaborate on the seems like a "big" coincidence to me.

whitemouse
October 18th, 2017, 23:52
No outing, I'm sorry to admit. I'd love a nice, passionate drama, unfortunately this here amounts to nothing. Sad, I know!

I posted some clips from YT Valgehiir account, my Youtube nick is visible to anyone who cares to look. Yup, whitemouse translates to Valge hiir in Estonian.

Mouse, not 'rat', Smiles! Smiles likes to take advantage of anonymity and safety that the internet affords, so he calls me White Rat.

I suppose I could make up some twisted nickname for Smiles in response , some 'clever' nick, but I don't. He has a nick, it's Smiles, and that's how I address him.

There is something to be said about very simple, easy principle about how to speake to people on web boards - do not use insults that you wouldn't while speaking to that person face to face. I try to follow that rule. Reason no1 - that's how civilized, educated people talk to each other. Reason No2 - one day I may run into, or meet the person who I've thrown lame insult at, it would be awkward meeting.

For a person who has no intention to meet a fellow board member, ever, this rule is of no concern. These are the people who casually drop the most cruel, personal insults.

jfs
October 19th, 2017, 00:19
Glad to see it from your keyboard...hope the last sentence wasn't aimed at me!

whitemouse
October 19th, 2017, 00:36
Glad to see it from your keyboard...hope the last sentence wasn't aimed at me!

Not at all! All is well!

jfs
October 19th, 2017, 00:41
Can I remove On Whitemouse Ignore List from my profile?

frequent
October 21st, 2017, 15:09
These are the people who casually drop the most cruel, personal insults.The best kind, surely?