PDA

View Full Version : Life after 60

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 17:14
A friend gave me some good advice. 1. Never trust a fart. 2. Never waste a hard-on. 3. Never pass a toilet with using it.

Any other helpful hints for those of us of a certain age?

Nirish guy
October 18th, 2017, 18:05
Yes, stop thinking of life in terms of a number and thinking that you're getting "past anything" or looking backwards but instead think "hey I'm here, I'm living NOW and by god I intend to enjoy every minute of it while I can and pack the time I have left with new experiences and meeting NEW people and generally having a blast - and also remembering not to be buying strangers motorbikes perhaps ! :-P :-)

jfs
October 18th, 2017, 18:09
4. You can live without sex, but not without glasses.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 18:10
well in fairness, I think I asked for that, NIrish.

but before criticising, remember the old saying: walk a mile in another man's shoes, and after a mile you're well away and still have his shoes.

Nirish guy
October 18th, 2017, 18:43
That wouldn't matter to me as because Im not silly enough to be going round buying strangers motorbikes !

Meaning that thankfully I'd hope to have enough money still in my pocket for perhaps TWO pairs of shoes - and even maybe the odd packet of cigarettes for when I run out and might have to call on family to come running to bail me out re that ( that is if I ever decided to take up smoking) But if I didn't I think the WORST part would be walking that mile WITHOUT any shoes, whilst knowing that some almost stranger in another land is laughing his leg off at my expense as he bombs about the Countryside in comfort about on the motorbike that I supplied him whilst probably smoking his brains too no less !! and all as I walk up the street, shoeless and with calluses forming on my poor blood soaked feet as remember the old saying "charity begins at home!" :-P :-)

bobsaigon2
October 18th, 2017, 18:56
60 yr old man standing at bottom of stairs: “Now, have I just come down or am I on the way up?”

The biggest lie I tell myself is ... "I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

So it happens. Your mind will get no sharper, nor your body more fit. Work with what you’ve got, keeping in mind the advice of the sage: Use it or lose it.

NIrish has alluded to the carpe diem school of thought, also supported by Asian philosophers: Carpe diem. Live for the day. Try your hardest to forget the past.

Some helpful hints and observations (taken from the net, they’ve been around for a long time):

You’re 60! Time to start yelling at the television.

You shop at Tesco and Walmart for the great clothes.

You know your way around but you don’t want to go anywhere.

When classic movies come on, your comments are: “She’s dead. He’s dead. They’re all dead.”

Age 60 is when it takes a man all night to do what he used to do all night.

Don’t compare. You’ll never be happy with your life. The grass is always greener.

Do something interesting every day; otherwise you disintegrate.

One good reason for acting your age……………………..

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 19:03
NIrish, I don't know why you're getting so worked up about my plans. It's not your money I'm spending, so as we say in Dublin "bollox to the lot of yiz"

latintopxxx
October 19th, 2017, 02:52
Im nowhere near 60...but Ive met quite a few that lead happy full physical lives...but its posts like joes that make me want to fuck as much as I can now...because it seems that there is a good chance that stuff breaks down and I cant imagine life without a bubble butted guy on the end of my dick

joe552
October 19th, 2017, 03:05
this was meant to be a bit of lighthearted nonsense. That failed apparently. Onward and upward.

latintopxxx
October 19th, 2017, 04:23
..apologies if its not light hearted...but one comes across many bitter oldies constantly looking back on life full of regrets...make the most of what u have now..dont be timid...like the NIKE add...just fucking well do it...stop contemplating it...or procrastinating...

joe552
October 19th, 2017, 05:44
I am going to just fucking well do it - in January, remember?

Nirish guy
October 19th, 2017, 07:48
Why, is it your birthday or something, are you not perhaps thinking of heading away anywhere nice ? I hear Thailand can be quite good at that time of year apparently !? :-)

joe552
October 19th, 2017, 09:13
I honestly hadn't given it any thought, NIrish, but that's a great idea. I'll just go over to the Thailand forum and start a new thread.

Marsilius
October 19th, 2017, 13:39
It's interesting to read here the thoughts of those who are still under 60. Their perspective seems to be, in a nutshell, "do all you can for as long as you can".

i suspect, though, that for many of us who are over 60 a quite common outlook would be "I've done everything that I really wanted to do while I could do it. There aren't that many more new things in life that I want to do now (if I'd ever wanted to do them at all, I'd have done them when I was younger). Now that I'm retired and have all the time I need, I'll take things at my own pace instead of desperately trying to cram everything into my five weeks holiday entitlement every year."

latintopxxx
October 19th, 2017, 14:56
...disagree...u r following the traditional path....kinda sad...

whitemouse
October 19th, 2017, 16:19
Don't even think about that number, it's just a number.

Try to eat healthy, quit smoking, don't drink too much, and you'll feel like a 30 year old. Or do all the unhealthy things, you can still have a life of a 30 year old. Just don't keep fixating on that number, 60. If you keep thinking about yourself like a 60 year old, you become a 60 year old. So don't give this number any thought!

It is a cliche to say you are as old as you think you are, but it's 100 percent true.

frequent
October 19th, 2017, 16:21
4. You can live without sex, but not without glasses.Matt may have something to contribute here
... you'll feel like a 30 year old ...Or possibly someone even younger. I feel like a guy of almost any age from the age of consent to 35 most days, and usually I can get one or two

scottish-guy
October 20th, 2017, 03:38
...It is a cliche to say you are as old as you think you are....

I prefer my own version:

You're only as old as (the people) you feel

frequent
October 21st, 2017, 16:17
Just wait until you're a sexagenarian, Joe - then the fun begins (my friends assure me)

joe552
October 21st, 2017, 16:58
A sexy what, frequent?

joe552
October 22nd, 2017, 04:20
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

bob, I'm one step ahead of you. I do my grocery shopping on a Monday, so start my list on Sunday. Not the things I buy every week, but those odd things (do I need pasta, for example).

The next stage is to try to remember to bring the f**king list with me when I go shopping. I'll remember next time for sure

bobsaigon2
October 22nd, 2017, 11:55
Yes, that's the next part --- remembering to bring the list with you. Or, bringing the correct list. Last night I handed the pharmacist a list containing the names of some meds, but also on that list were coffee, butter, lentils, spaghetti. She seemed a bit confused.

frequent
October 22nd, 2017, 12:08
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

bob, I'm one step ahead of you. I do my grocery shopping on a Monday, so start my list on Sunday. Not the things I buy every week, but those odd things (do I need pasta, for example).

The next stage is to try to remember to bring the f**king list with me when I go shopping. I'll remember next time for sureDear god, even the Bangkok supermarket Apps on my iPhone have shopping lists, although I go for home delivery these days!!!