PDA

View Full Version : Hotel info BKK

joe552
October 16th, 2017, 23:53
Just spoke (on Facebook) with my older friend. I've started a new thread because the old one went all sorts of ways. Anyway, this is the simpler of the 2 posts I intend to make. He's coming from Sri Racha to Pattaya on my birthday. Btw, any of you in the area of Sunee on the 9th Jan are welcome to come along and ply me with alcohol. Question is, where would you suggest? I thought about the bar I think/thought was called "green chairs". Across the Soi from All of Me. If All of Me had still been open, that would have been my choice. It has to be a bar he can easily find me in - I don't have a smartphone (what?). Anyway, I'll have to tell him in advance the name of the bar - I've never actually known the names, except AofMe. Suggestions welcome.

So this is the hard part. I don't know BKK at all (only been once for a couple of days with him) If we're meeting his parents and he's taking his wife, where the f*ck do we stay? I'd love to see his parents again - not sure about the wife. We had the best holiday of my life up in Si Saket for 2 weeks. They're simple folk, and I think a 2/3 star hotel would suit them. I'm totally in the dark on this one.

Thanks lads, for any advice or suggestions.

Manforallseasons
October 17th, 2017, 00:08
Joe the Malaysia hotel is about 1000 bht a nite it has a Thai/Falang restaurant good not expensive, 60 bht to Silom...Hotel resently refurbished.....Good place for families and gays.....Mother, father, wife....O.M.G......how romantic....shortly someone will recommend the Tartawan Hotel just wait!

FarangRuMak
October 17th, 2017, 00:09
The trouble with getting hotel suggestions from me is that all my favourite locations are sleeze related and therefore not for decent folk.
However having said that The Malaysia Hotel on Soi Ngam Dupli is ok for all and sundry now.
The boy is Thai so maybe let him choose.

FarangRuMak
October 17th, 2017, 00:12
Joe the Malaysia hotel is about 1000 bht a nite it has a Thai/Falang restaurant good not expensive, 60 bht to Silom...Hotel resently refurbished.....Good place for families and gays.....Mother, father, wife....O.M.G......how romantic....shortly someone will recommend the Tartawan Hotel just wait!
Great minds think alike MFAS.

samebb
October 17th, 2017, 00:15
Another thumbs up for Malaysia Hotel. They just finished their restaurant refurbishment also!

joe552
October 17th, 2017, 00:42
Thanks lads. I did ask him, and he had no more clue than I did. Maybe I got the wrong impression of Malaysia? I thought it looked a decent hotel, but with a predominance (that's a good word, eh) of gay men, which he might not want to share with his wife and parents. I looked at it recently and was happy with it, especially the 24 hour restaurant. I'm an insomniac, so having somewhere to go at 4 in the morning, to have a beer (do they serve alcohol at that time?) or even just a coffee and a smoke would be great. I just didn't get the impression it was a "family friendly" place.

The rates I looked at were good, so seems like a good choice. Thanks.

Btw, I've lived this apartment for 2 years and never had a problem with noise. Right now I can hear some heavily Irish Republican music. Maybe they're having a "fleadh" up there?

Maybe that last cough just cleared my ears out? Now I can hear the TV from next door! And my doctor recommended I get a hearing aid. Think I'll have to revisit that decision.

samebb
October 17th, 2017, 00:46
It was a gay hotel many years ago. I have heard some great stories from friends who have been visiting Bangkok for decades. Sure there are still gay customers, like any hotel, but from my visits there (only eating) it has a diverse clientele. Straight couples, Chineese, solo back packers. I have met a number of non-gay characters in the times I have used The Malasia as a late night eating spot, non of which I spoke to were gay.

joe552
October 17th, 2017, 00:55
Ah well, that sounds like the place. Where is it in relation to say, Soi 4 or the other place, whose name escapes me? Not that I plan to take his parents into that area, just so I might get an idea of what's close by. A boat to the Golden Buddha and the Palace?

samebb
October 17th, 2017, 02:28
Ah well, that sounds like the place. Where is it in relation to say, Soi 4 or the other place, whose name escapes me? Not that I plan to take his parents into that area, just so I might get an idea of what's close by. A boat to the Golden Buddha and the Palace?

It's a 50-60 Baht taxi ride, or a 25 minute walk to Soi 4. I walked it once, wouldn't again. You could probably do it in 20.
Add another 4 minutes to Soi Twilight, if you stick on Rama 4 and avoid getting stuck in the middle of the rude Chineese tourists around the girly bars. You will only run into them if you cut through Soi Convent ect.

Taxis come past Malasia Hotel every minute, all day, all night. I have got taxis from there with no wait at 4-5-6-7-8am (I frequent a nearly all-night karioke bar).

whitemouse
October 17th, 2017, 04:03
Joe552, for the next round of questions and advice regarding your upcoming trip to Thailand, perhaps you should get down to basics, and deal with wider range of questions.

Some (hopefully) helpful suggestions for your lines of inquiry:

1. Where is Thailand? Travelling from Ireland, should I look into ferry options, or would a simple bus ticket do, Is it on Mega Bus route, and how feasible is their 1 Pound return ticket promotion?

2. What's the weather there in January? Should I pack for Artic conditions, or is Thailand one of those warm countries?

3. Hotels! Now thats a tricky on, Hotel Malasya has been known for DECADES as 'go to' cheap, gay friendly hotel off Silom, but since I've spammed the board to death about my upcoming Jan trip, by now I'm simply unable to come up with anything remotly creative, or interesting , so I am going to ask about the one gay hotel, that needs no questions - Hotel Malaysia! But credit where credit is due, you could have asked about Tarntawan, and if its still ok, or has it been declining, but you didn't, I for that I'm grateful to you.

You didn't ask if the bell boy in Tarntawan is the same from 2002, for that I thank you sincerely :) You speared me the pain, and just for that I shall crash your birthday party at Sunee in January with bottle of sensibly priced Thai whiskey (or Rum, depends who you consult).

I suspect there will be no invitation in the mail to be lost, so crashing is the only viable option.

Looking forward to January 11th!

scottish-guy
October 17th, 2017, 05:00
I heard The Tarntawan had new management - any truth in that or just a rumour?

Maybe somebody could start a thread on it

whitemouse
October 17th, 2017, 05:29

Dear god, take me now!

whitemouse
October 17th, 2017, 05:53
I've started a new thread because the old one went all sorts of ways.

I'd love to see his parents again - not sure about the wife. We had the best holiday of my life up in Si Saket for 2 weeks. They're simple folk, and I think a 2/3 star hotel..

Then you open Booking.com and book the cheapest hotel, at this point there's no reason to impress them. Or is there?

Have you given some thought about your older (or younger) friend's dad? His dad may have a a reasonable, and justifyed expectation of new motorcycle. After all, you dropped a new motorcycle on a dime, I think he didn't even ask for it, you went out and bought it. That was years ago. Don't you think dad deserves a new bike?

Are you going to stiff him, and let him down this time? Some people would say that's rude.

So never mind Malaysia or Tarntawan, you should get busy getting offers from Bangkok Honda dealerships!

joe552
October 17th, 2017, 07:24
what the fuck has it got to do with you whitemouse? I simply asked for a hotel recommendation that his parents would be comfortable in - nothing too formal. Simple question, answered well by a couple of people.

samebb
October 17th, 2017, 08:44

That was a couple years ago. There was no refurb, they just doubled the prices and replaced the staff with cheap idiots.
Stay at your own risk.

My advice, Look at the Raya. It's next to Soi Twilight also!

a447
October 17th, 2017, 16:24
It's ok. He's only just joined. Please don't pounce on him!

joe552
October 17th, 2017, 18:06
Are you going to stiff him?

No, I'm planning to stiff his son!

joe552
October 17th, 2017, 18:12
I've decided on the Malaysia. From their website, and comments here, it seems to fit the bill. I'm just waiting for him to let me know when his mama can come down from Si Sisaket, and then I'll book it. Thanks for all the comments.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 01:46
So I just booked 2 rooms at Malaysia. €160 for 3 nights. I thought it was a good deal

FarangRuMak
October 18th, 2017, 07:02
Good luck and enjoy.
It's a good solid well proven location.
Close to Lumpini Park plus an MRT station which can whip you around to the big weekend market at near Mo Chit and other places.

fedssocr
October 18th, 2017, 07:05
are you planning to all stay together? Might be worth getting an apartment with a couple of bedrooms. Tons of serviced apartment places.

The problem with BKK is that there are about 1 billion hotels so choosing is difficult. I'd probably figure out a neighborhood first.

Smiles
October 18th, 2017, 08:21
I've decided on the Malaysia. From their website, and comments here, it seems to fit the bill. I'm just waiting for him to let me know when his mama can come down from Si Sisaket, and then I'll book it. Thanks for all the comments.
You might want to try the Pinnacle Lumphini Hotel. Its a block away from the Malaysia and it doesnt have free-lancers running all over the place.
The buffet breakfast is pretty good ... theres a swimming pool on the roof as well as a bar/restaurant. The rooms are clean and of a decent size. The views from the top are very cool and easy to jump over the side if the whole meet-&-greet goes sideways (14 floors down should take care of you). The Metro/underground is a block away and you can take it to Silom Rd where you get off and explore Soi 4 with the family in tow (I'd like to see that! :)) )

http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee/#

I agree a little (not a lot) with WhiteRat on this: you really don't seem to know very much at all about Bangkok, and seems to me you need to hire a nurse to take care of you.
My old man is a tour guide ~~ and he can be a nurse if asked ~~ and knows Bangkok with his eyes closed. You are welcome to hire him for a few days and he will take care of all your bewilderments for you.
(Actually, youre beginning to scare me a bit).

latintopxxx
October 18th, 2017, 09:17
malaysia no longer has freelancers decorating the place...

Smiles
October 18th, 2017, 10:36
So that was YOU who scared them away.
Asking, er, demanding the lobby staff to sit on your face before even checking in is usually a major off-putting.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 10:54
I've already said I don't know Bangkok at all. We were there once, for a couple of days, many years ago. That's why I was asking for advice - like a newbie. I thought that was how the forum worked - you ask a question, get a few responses, and make your decision? Well, the decision is made. One of the attractions of Malaysia for me is the all-night restaurant. As I've said elsewhere, I suffer from insomnia, so having somewhere to go at 4am for a beer or coffee and a smoke is a big advantage.

FarangRuMak
October 18th, 2017, 14:48
Sh-t.
Now I must cancel that booking I made when browsing.
It's a muscle memory reflex thing with me that's sited in the sub-conscious and triggered by the exact phrase "freelancers running around naked" or any close derivative thereof.

Manforallseasons
October 18th, 2017, 15:01
Joe you have made a good choice as for Smiles he must put in his 2 cents but fails to realize no one is listening anymore.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 15:09
Thanks MFAS, but I have to disagree about Smiles. I enjoy his posts - don't always agree with him - but he has an entertaining way with words.

MiniMee
October 18th, 2017, 19:58
I've already said I don't know Bangkok at all. We were there once, for a couple of days, many years ago. You have more in common with scottish-guy than I realised.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 20:49
You have more in common with scottish-guy than I realised.

And your last post of any interest was....?

Up2U
October 18th, 2017, 21:11
Smiles suggestion on the Pinnacle was a good one, nice buffet breakfast too. The big advantage is the Lumpini MRT is just around the corner, no need for motorbikes. Getting a taxi at the Malaysia during the commute hours is a pain.

joe552
October 18th, 2017, 21:22
I looked at the Pinnacle. Sure it's a nice hotel, but if I'm paying for 3 rooms for 3 nights it's too expensive. I'll stick with Malaysia. Thanks anyway.

Smiles
October 18th, 2017, 23:56
Joe you have made a good choice as for Smiles he must put in his 2 cents but fails to realize no one is listening anymore.
And you are a nasty sour piece of work who seems to be in high dudgeon when somebody ~ that would be me ~ points out that you are nothing but a dreary drunk who attempts to kick down bathroom doors in Sunnee bars and pays the cops huge amounts of under-the-table money to go away after overturning his motorbike in his substantial cups ... and in consequence to that has no friends (talking about "no one listening".)
------------------------------------------------------------
So, back to the subject: Joe, you are quite correct as to the price at the Pinnacle being higher than the Malaysia. Such things as 'choices' are what it's all about at the end of the day.

whitemouse
October 19th, 2017, 02:52
And you are a nasty sour piece of work who seems to be in high dudgeon when somebody ~ that would be me ~ points out that you are nothing but a dreary drunk who attempts to kick down bathroom doors in Sunnee bars and pays the cops huge amounts of under-the-table money to go away after overturning his motorbike in his substantial cups ... and in consequence to that has no friends

Smiles, what's eating you? What is causing such bitterness, what is behind your ugly, vicious behaviour?

Why drag something that is a private, and strictly a personal issue of Manforallseasons to open forum? Have you ever heard of net etiquette? I bet you have, but you chose to ignore it. There's something going wrong in your life, and you chose to take it out here. Why here? My guess is, you have no other place to let it out. I am certain you don't have a single friend. Worse, you don't have a single person in your life, who you could talk to.

There is something going on in your life, but instead of sharing your problems with fellow board members here, you spew your poison. You have become ruthless, nasty person. Your post regarding Manofallseasons is unforgivable. In your misery and anger towards everyone who enjoys life, you forget that your comments about private lives of fellow board members actually may have real life consequences.

In that place where people have their moral compass, you have a black hole, Smiles. Try to get help, menthal health is directly related to our physical well being, it's in your best interest to resolve what's causing you this anger and pain.

If I was a better person, I'd feel sorry for you, Smiles!

FarangRuMak
October 19th, 2017, 04:27
Smiles, what's eating you? What is causing such bitterness, what is behind your ugly, vicious behaviour?

Why drag something that is a private, and strictly a personal issue of Manforallseasons to open forum? Have you ever heard of net etiquette? I bet you have, but you chose to ignore it. There's something going wrong in your life, and you chose to take it out here. Why here? My guess is, you have no other place to let it out. I am certain you don't have a single friend. Worse, you don't have a single person in your life, who you could talk to.

There is something going on in your life, but instead of sharing your problems with fellow board members here, you spew your poison. You have become ruthless, nasty person. Your post regarding MFAS is unforgivable. In your misery and anger towards everyone who enjoys life, you forget that your comments about private lives of fellow board members actually may have real life consequences.

In that place where people have their moral compass, you have a black hole, Smiles. Try to get help, menthal health is directly related to our physical well being, it's in your best interest to resolve what's causing you this anger and pain.

If I was a better person, I'd feel sorry for you, Smiles!

MFAS may be a bit grumpy but if so, it's within the accepted limits of this forum.
Yes, he did have a motorbike incident once but so did I - twice.
But he didn't have to pay off the BIB 'cos the local Thais on the scene took care of him, as they always do, by taking him away to safety.
I have eaten food from 'Burger Lady' near Nice Boys many, many times AND I had to kick down toilet doors in bars as a result.
But there ain't no shame in that.
Cop yourselves on Gentlemen and ACT like Gentlemen.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

latintopxxx
October 19th, 2017, 04:30
..board is getting nasty..jfs outs whitemouse..and now this ........

Smiles
October 19th, 2017, 07:25
WhiteRat, thanks for the advice mate, but my 'menthal' health is just fine. Certainly it's in better health than is your spelling.
And I think I'll pass on your sophomoric attempt at cliche-ridden pop psychology as well.
Have a good day.

bobsaigon2
October 19th, 2017, 07:57
Carefully crafted spelling and grammar mistakes are employed by some personas to authenticate their claimed backgrounds.

Manforallseasons
October 19th, 2017, 09:46
I have never been able to take Smiles seriously, he has never gotten over at one time being a somebody to becoming a nobody and I wish him all the best in his golden years.

arsenal
October 19th, 2017, 10:08
Oh dear. It seems the blue rinse Sunee Set are handbagging. Again.

jfs
October 19th, 2017, 12:00
According to Latintopxxx "..board is getting nasty..jfs outs whitemouse..and now this ........"

I call your attention to the Everything Else Forum....Question of "outing" thread, post #11.

I don't take kindly to being accused of "outing" especially when it's not true!!

So be clear of your facts, before you broadcast them.

Manforallseasons
October 19th, 2017, 12:41
Smiles is desperate for attention not unlike F.H.

whitemouse
October 19th, 2017, 16:10
WhiteRat, thanks for the advice mate, but my 'menthal' health is just fine. Certainly it's in better health than is your spelling.
And I think I'll pass on your sophomoric attempt at cliche-ridden pop psychology as well.
Have a good day.

Mouse, not 'rat', Smiles! Smiles likes to take advantage of anonymity and safety that the internet affords, so he calls me White Rat.

I suppose I could make up some twisted nickname for Smiles in response , some 'clever' nick, but I don't. He has a nick, it's Smiles, and that's how I address him.

There is something to be said about very simple, easy principle about how to speak to people on web boards - do not use insults that you wouldn't while speaking to that person face to face. I try to follow that rule.
Reason no1 - that's how civilized, educated people talk to each other.
Reason No2 - one day I may run into, or meet the person who I've thrown lame insult at, it would be awkward meeting.

For a person who has no intention to meet a fellow board member, this rule is of no concern. These are the people who casually drop the most personal insults, because they never have to answer for their words. Basically cowards.

scottish-guy
October 20th, 2017, 02:45
...I suppose I could make up some twisted nickname for Smiles in response....

Piles (as in haemorrhoids) seems the obvious choice.

No charge for advice

:D

latintopxxx
October 20th, 2017, 02:54
there u go again scatboy....focusing on that region of the body...

scottish-guy
October 20th, 2017, 03:24
Oh come on Rabbi - that "region of the body" is your reason for living, I only talk about it

latintopxxx
October 20th, 2017, 05:57
..at least u admit that u only talk about it...at least i actually do it...LOL

Smiles
October 20th, 2017, 13:06
"... Smiles is desperate for attention not unlike F.H. ... "

For a man who is ignoring me (and many others) he certainly keeps on posting: This reminds me ~ on a good day ~ very much of Madforallseasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

scottish-guy
October 20th, 2017, 14:22
..at least u admit that u only talk about it...at least i actually do it...LOL

I readily admit it!

Other than offering a pleasant view I have no interest whatsoever in a boys bum - it's the front that interests me.

latintopxxx
October 20th, 2017, 15:15
...bottom bitch...

whitemouse
October 20th, 2017, 16:38
...bottom bitch...

Pff. You just jealous, because bottoms have more fun, while top does all the work.

I just lay there, on comfortable pillows, and relax, while the top guy is sweating, and jumping around like a mad man. By the time he comes, he must be half dead, while I'm as fresh as mayflower. And then he brings me coffee to bed.

Life of a top sucks, my friend.

scottish-guy
October 20th, 2017, 18:17
Whitemouse has got it right - if I'm paying then why should I be expected to exert myself?

After all, you dont book into a hotel, clean the room, hoover the floor, change the towels and make up the bed every day, do you?

:lol:

gerefan2
October 20th, 2017, 22:58
So Scotty because you pay for a meal in a restaurant, do you expect them to eat it for you?
If I’m paying for a fuck I expect to do the fucking.

scottish-guy
October 20th, 2017, 23:08
I have no problem whatsoever with what you expect Gerefan2 - I'm just telling you what I expect, and apparently Whitemouse expects much the same.

I trust we have your permission?

gerefan2
October 20th, 2017, 23:17
What do you think you need my permission for? Why ask for it?

latintopxxx
October 21st, 2017, 02:25
...silly boys..only know one position and its missionary...LOL...when Im in a real lazy mood I either sit down or ly down and the bottom hops onto my dick and bops up and down on it...love watching him build up a sweat..those leg muscles working away...