PDA

View Full Version : How far is Sri Racha?

joe552
October 13th, 2017, 22:37
My old friend now lives in Sri Racha with his wife, but has said he'll come to Pattaya for my birthday. How far away is that? I have in my mind about 30 mins on a motocy. I'd prefer he didn't drive home after we have a few drinks, so offered him to stay in my apartment. What think you, oh wise ones?

Chuai-Duai
October 13th, 2017, 22:53
If you mean the Sriracha where the tiger zoo is then it's 40km from Pattaya.

Manforallseasons
October 13th, 2017, 22:59
He will probably say no as not to make problem with wife...I hope you are not putting all your eggs in his basket:yes:

joe552
October 13th, 2017, 23:32
I know I can seem pretty dense at times, but I'm actually quite intelligent. Stop laughing at the back! I don't think in kilometres - so would that take about 30 minutes on a motorbike?

MFAS, I have no expectations except some drinks and some food. It will be just good to see him again after all this time.

Manforallseasons
October 13th, 2017, 23:41
I know I can seem pretty dense at times, but I'm actually quite intelligent. Stop laughing at the back! I don't think in kilometres - so would that take about 30 minutes on a motorbike?

MFAS, I have no expectations except some drinks and some food. It will be just good to see him again after all this time.

I suppose that is why you are counting the kilometers in minutes.

joe552
October 13th, 2017, 23:56
I thought it was a simple question - how long does to take to get from Sri Racha to Pattaya on a motobike. I thought it was maybe 30 miles, so maybe less than an hour.

joe552
October 14th, 2017, 00:20
So I've done what I should have done and asked him directly. It could take a couple of days to get a response.

Now about a gift. I have no intention of going shopping while in Pattaya, New boy can go off and buy his Lacoste trainers whenever he wants. But what would you suggest for old boyfriend? Given that his wife might not be aware of his previous career?

scottish-guy
October 14th, 2017, 00:36
Well I suppose a Garden Gnome Butt Plug is out of the question then?

joe552
October 14th, 2017, 01:08
Trust you to come up with that SG. Where do you find them? It's not quite the gift I had in mind,

Yraen
October 14th, 2017, 04:13
I thought it was a simple question - how long does to take to get from Sri Racha to Pattaya on a motobike. I thought it was maybe 30 miles, so maybe less than an hour.

Given that it is unlawful for him to ride on the freeway (but TiT), allow an hour and be pleasantly surprised if he arrives earlier.

cdnmatt
October 14th, 2017, 04:59
Gift? Don't get him anything. Thais are much more of the variety that the thought counds more than the gift.

Get him a cheap bracelet from the market or something if you really want to, but wouldn't worry about it a huge amount.

joe552
October 14th, 2017, 07:33
The last thing I bought him (apart from the motorbike for Papa) was a Celtic piece of jewellery from here in Dublin. Cost about €10. Thinking something similar.

I'm now taking bets on how many of you think I'll end up disappointed, What with new friend possibly going to Morocco in December.

Up2U
October 14th, 2017, 07:48
Sri Racha is about 30 miles and 30 minutes from Pattaya.

joe552
October 14th, 2017, 07:54
Thank you, Up2U, that's exactly what I thought. Now should I allow an hour for him to travel that distance (I don't ride a motorbike, so have no idea).

Manforallseasons
October 14th, 2017, 08:18
Joe it might be 30mi but it always takes me about an hour on my motorcycle. You might want to prepare yourself for the slim chance that he might be a no show. :unknw_mini:

Smiles
October 14th, 2017, 08:30
" ... Now about a gift ... "
Keep it simple. You don't even know the guy anymore. He's got a wife (perhaps more than one), probably kids. Forget the past in terms of the glitzy giving of gifts ... give him money.
10,000 baht for old times sake and no future in sight. He'll love it, and you'll get to smile.

As for the stay over? Forget that, get real, way too obvious ... give him 200+ baht for a taxi home (on top of 200+ baht for a taxi to your hotel). Dinner, drinks, laughs bye bye.

Does he speak much English? Enough for an evening with Just You?

arsenal
October 14th, 2017, 08:33
The pier that juts out into the sea is a lovely place to sit and have an iced latte while watching the sea birds and huge tankers/cargo ships heave their way way across the horizon.

Smiles
October 14th, 2017, 08:59
... have an iced latte while watching the sea birds and huge tankers/cargo ships heave their way way across the horizon ...
. . . and enjoy the tankers and cargo ships throw their garbage and waste and feces and cigarette stubs ~ and who knows what else ~ over the side into the sea. TiT.

arsenal
October 14th, 2017, 09:02
Well I'm sure they are doing that Smiles but too far away to see.

Up2U
October 14th, 2017, 10:32
Thank you, Up2U, that's exactly what I thought. Now should I allow an hour for him to travel that distance (I don't ride a motorbike, so have no idea).
I drive, mb is another story. The song taows on Sukumvit and public busses also go there.

francois
October 14th, 2017, 12:34
What about a gold bracelet for him? Gold is always appreciated.

joe552
October 14th, 2017, 14:54
I wasn't planning giving him an expensive present. 10,000Bt, Smiles? That's how much my room costs for 2 weeks. I was thinking around 500Bt. Anyway, I'll just give him 1,000 in cash - so much easier, and kinda like the old days.

MFAS, I'm prepared for him to be a "no-show" - I'll be disappointed but I'll get over it.

christianpfc
October 19th, 2017, 20:46
There is a wonderful website or app called Google Maps that gives not only distance, but shortest or fastest route and expected travel time between two places.

Mocy from somewhere in Sri Ratcha town to somewhere in Pattaya I would estimate 1 hour. (Sri Ratcha is a town in Chonburi province, so if he says he is in Sri Ratcha, that's an area of maybe 5 km x 10 km along the coast. Elsewhere the distinction between town and province is of great importance, I have a boy who is Kanchanaburi province, about 50 km from Kanchanaburi town.)