PDA

View Full Version : The terror of shopping

FarangRuMak
October 11th, 2017, 09:14
There's nothing that sickens me more that bringing a Thai shopping.
I know it's far more serious for the straight guys but it can go bad for us too.
I rarely do it now but I sweat blood when I think back on all the good money I threw away in shopping malls years ago and for NO return.
I bought a beautiful expensive black leather jacket for Lek around 2005 and ten minutes later he looked so good in it that he was prancing past Ude's bar hand in hand with a cute young Swedish looking Farang and I haven't seen him since.
The list of dreaded items now include Gold in any shape or form, Smart Phones, Runners, Smart Watches. ....
And so on.
Any experiences shared might mitigate my remorse.

arsenal
October 11th, 2017, 09:28
I'm going with Latin's probable response on this one. A fool and his money.

Oliver
October 11th, 2017, 09:39
I too have a dislike of shopping with my partner . We are now in Pattaya after a trip to Chiang Mai and without doubt, this evening we'll be in Central. He doesn't expect presents from me- I help him enough with living expenses and his business back home- but he does like to spend an inordinate length of time examining produce, discussing it with the assistants in great detail....and then moving on to the next shop . Clothes of course are near the top of the list, perhaps second only to the latest phones and tablets.
When he does buy- even something as simple as underwear (well it is for me)- I eventually lose patience with the amount of time he spends examining it. He wouldn't thank me for saying this but he reminds me of shopping with my mother as a ten -year-old
There are two sorts of people in the world; those who love shopping and those for whom it's a necessary evil. In this respect,at least, we're incompatible.

Smiles
October 11th, 2017, 12:01
I have the opposite scenario. My old man never goes shopping, doesn't care for malls (though he likes the food courts) and hardly ever buys anything for himself. Granted, he has an enormous closet ~ as I do ~ which has built itself over the last few years, but in the last 6 or 7 years he keeps telling me he's got enough in there to get lost in, or die. His underwear drawer spills over if not closed properly and his number of shirts would choke a fleet of hippopotimae.
Besides the volume . . . he's also a criminally sticky-shit and would chase a single satang coin for blocks if he noticed one rolling down the street. All this of course means we hardly ever go to a mall together, except to the movies. And I save a ton of money :))
The OP should find himself a low maintence companion!

As for myself, I rather like the big mall here in Hua hin. Nicely air-conned, has my favourite little beer bar, and supplies my need for a Swenson's Choco-Choco every so often. The latter I do on the sly!

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 12:30
When I went to Si Saket to see my friend's parents, I bought his father a motorbike. It makes me feel less guilty about buying a pair of trainers for the new guy! Of course, I won't actually go shopping with him, just give him the cash, and sit and have a beer till he's done. I don't like shopping for myself, never mind these guys who can spend hours in a mall.

bobsaigon2
October 11th, 2017, 13:19
FRM: You have hit upon a universal fear besetting most farang – shopping. I am willing to bet quite a substantial amount that there will not be a single post in this thread in praise of the Shopping With BF.

Aside from the possible greed factor, there is also, as Oliver points out, the torturous waiting time involved as BF examines minutely any potential purchase.

I once visited Pattaya to see a perfectly beautiful boy, previously on the stage at Throb/Splash, whom I had decided to free from a Life of Ignominy. We started out at one mall, went to a second, and by mid-afternoon, credit card terminals declined both of my cards.

Some days later he explained that one of his friends had told him that I was interested in another boy so the Throb/Splash lad decided to get what he could before the opportunity was lost.

I guess at that time I was fairly well known in BT as a butterfly, but a generous one.

What an amazing difference it made to my bank account when my days of shopping with BF(s) and supporting BF(s) came to an end.

arsenal
October 11th, 2017, 13:19
Joe wrote.
"When I went to Si Saket to see my friend's parents, I bought his father a motorbike."

Generous. 😋

frequent
October 11th, 2017, 13:24
Joe wrote.
"When I went to Si Saket to see my friend's parents, I bought his father a motorbike."

Generous. ��

Well ... given the number of motorbike deaths in Thailand ...

Smiles
October 11th, 2017, 13:43
Generous.
Yeah ...and now borrowing plane fairs from a sister on the dole.
Ya gotta watch out for those motorbikes.

arsenal
October 11th, 2017, 13:46
Frequent and Smiles.
😀😁😂😃😄😅

FarangRuMak
October 11th, 2017, 14:28
Tortuous and torturous both.
I don't do it much anymore. I have one or two old flames that I help out and that's because they're not the greedy type.
My situation is now one of "buyer's regret" when I recall all the stuff I showered on little shits like Lek.
(Lek is real but also eponymous as, no doubt, you all know one.)

a447
October 11th, 2017, 14:53
I seem to be the odd man out here, as I Love shopping!

I've been on the occasional shopping trip with my regular guys in LOS and I really enjoy seeing how happy they are when let loose in a shopping mall. It is always me who suggests we go. They don't take advantage of my generosity - they don't ask for iPhones, gold chains or Rolex watches (not much chance of that), just everyday items like jeans, shoes, etc and, of course, lots of hair products. We then go back to the hotel and the fun continues as they unwrap everything.

And a couple of years ago I took an Aussie friend, who was going through a difficult time, to Japan, where retail therapy is the national pastime. I took him on a mini shopping spree in Tokyo. I joined in and we both had a great day out. As a fellow shopaholic, he was amazed at what was available to buy in Tokyo.

Seeing a guy's eyes light up when we enter the shopping mall makes it great value for money for me.

latintopxxx
October 11th, 2017, 16:01
...cheaper to rent by the hour...far far cheaper...keeps then eager to please...no complacency or sense of entitlement...and the variety is endless.

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 16:38
When I bought the motorbike for Papa, I was in full time employment. I could afford it. Now a pair of trainers for my current friend is my limit. I kind of envy you guys with endless money - some of us don'tl

christianpfc
October 12th, 2017, 16:45
There's nothing that sickens me more that bringing a Thai shopping.
You a mean a Thai friend taking you along shopping to pay for his shopping?

I try to avoid that as well, for various reasons: utterly boring, waste of time and money. I rather give him a reasonable amount of money to do the shopping himself (after sexual activities).

Have to watch out for those who want to meet for first date at a mall or market. While malls are a convenient place (aircon, can walk around a bit to spend the usually inevitable waiting time for my date) to meet, make clear that we don't start the date with me buying stuff for him.

One spectacular case (boy fishing for an iPhone before we even had sex) is here:
Dating Thai boys (13) He wants an iPhone
https://christianpfc.blogspot.de/2014/08/dating-thai-boys-13-he-wants-iphone.html?m=0

My old man never goes shopping, doesn't care for malls (though he likes the food courts) and hardly ever buys anything for himself. Granted, he has an enormous closet ~ as I do ~ which has built itself over the last few years, but in the last 6 or 7 years he keeps telling me he's got enough in there to get lost in, or die. His underwear drawer spills over if not closed properly and his number of shirts would choke a fleet of hippopotimae.
Besides the volume . . . he's also a criminally sticky-shit and would chase a single satang coin for blocks if he noticed one rolling down the street. All this of course means we hardly ever go to a mall together, except to the movies.
Wonderful, I'm falling in love! Are there more like him around?

arsenal
October 12th, 2017, 16:52
Once again I find myself in agreement with Poxypoos Latin and this has got to stop. Why the fuck are you all going shopping with a Thai boy. Have you not got anything better to do with your time?

joe552
October 12th, 2017, 16:55
Just for clarity, the motorbike was 2nd hand and cost a couple of hundred Euros (makes my eyes bleed, typing that). Ah, the world was a different place then. I'll be sure to ask him if his Papa still has the motorbike.

But then again, if current Best Friend hears I once bought a motorbike, he might not be content with just a pair of trainers. It's all getting a bit much, to be honest.

arsenal
October 12th, 2017, 17:12
Joe wrote.
" It's all getting a bit much, to be honest."

For us all Joe!

joe552
October 12th, 2017, 17:16
Ah, don't be like that, arsenal, I read your shite after all.

a447
October 12th, 2017, 17:21
There is a difference between a Thai guy taking you to a shopping mall, and you inviting him to go.

If a guy suggests we go shopping, the answer is a definite no!

joe552
October 12th, 2017, 17:29
My response now is "here is 50Bt, go have fun". I know, I'm too generous for my own good, and regret it when I get home. But the look on the boy's face is worth it.