PDA

View Full Version : LGBTI Elders

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 11:57
There's an interesting article in today's Guardian newspaper about a party for older LGBTI people in Australia. I'm going to try to post a link, but that might not happen (not sure how to do it), but worth a read. It certainly resonated with me.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/10/ive-seen-it-all-lgbti-elders-come-b (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/10/ive-seen-it-all-lgbti-elders-come-back-out-at-the-ball)

can someone just let me know if that link works, even if you don't read the article?

cdnmatt
October 10th, 2017, 12:12
Confirmed, link works.

Tried to read the article, but too many images, so fuck it. Sorry. Got the gist though, and congrats for them, and happy they were able to celbrate, albeit probably a little later than they would have liked.

bobsaigon2
October 10th, 2017, 12:40
Link works. I am very superficial, so I could have done without the photos of the geriatrics, but the article is forceful.

In the early 1960’s at age 24, I was yet to come to terms with my sexuality, but somewhere deep within my psyche was the realization that if I stayed in the States, I would go through life just as many of the people in the video were forced to do. It was not a time when only sons could easily announce to their Irish/Italian Catholic parents that they preferred young men. Solution: join the Peace Corps and go to Africa. I loved my work and the appreciation I received from the Ethiopians, but my perceptions about sex were still in a muddle.

During the next 50 years I remained as much as possible outside the States. The people of the third world countries where I worked rarely gave a thought to the sexuality of foreigners unless there was something obvious to observe. So I remained “un-obvious” and have always got along quite well with the host country nationals.

I had a high school classmate who came out to family and colleagues back in the 60’s, and then spent the rest of his life justifying his orientation. I was not strong enough for that and until this day I still do not see how it would make my family any happier to know that I am gay.

I empathize with the people in the video. Many of them had the courage to confront society. Not something I could have done.

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 12:55
Bob, that's a really powerful post - thank you. I remember hearing about the Peace Corps when I was younger, and thought it would be a great way to escape Catholic Ireland of the 70s/80s. When I was 22, I spent 6 months in Lebanon with the Irish Army as part of the UN force there. One night in a hotel in Israel, while on a weekend off, I got talking to a UN civilian worker, and thought "that's what I want to do". It was partly a desire to make a difference in the world. But it was also a way of escaping Ireland. Alas, in those pre-internet days, I couldn't figure out how to do it, so it never happened. Another life not lived.

latintopxxx
October 10th, 2017, 13:34
U guys R weak...U ONLY have ONE life to live...so stoooopid to have wasted it on social norms...

scottish-guy
October 10th, 2017, 13:45
Says an Accountant

:D

bobsaigon2
October 10th, 2017, 13:48
Lest anyone think my self-imposed exile was in any way a deprivation, I should say that I have always been comfortable psychologically while living abroad. No need to maintain the pretenses that would have been required of me in the US. And, since I look and sound like the run of the mill straight American, I was never reluctant to confirm my heritage. Until 20 January 2017. But that’s WAY off topic.

latintopxxx
October 10th, 2017, 16:39
accountant?!

scottish-guy
October 10th, 2017, 17:21
Isn't that what you're meant to be?

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 21:43
Isn't latinpox an auditor - travelling the world, shagging ponies, all on the company dime? (as our Murican friends might say)

scottish-guy
October 10th, 2017, 21:47
Auditor/Accountant .... still a bunch of boring bastards right?

joe552
October 12th, 2017, 02:10
I was quite proud of myself uploading this. But how would I upload it to Facebook? I can't find the original article on the Guardian website, but can I post the link to Facebook? I don't even understand that question.

bkkguy
October 12th, 2017, 19:26
it would be interesting to see how many of them used to or currently self-identify with the alphabet soup label - my best guess is a lot would go more for the missing letter Q(ueer)

bkkguy

joe552
October 13th, 2017, 02:29
I personally never liked the term queer. In my younger days, it wasn't a positive word. I know younger people have started reclaiming it, and that's a good thing. But the word still sounds wrong for me.

On a side note, back in the day when I worked for Amnesty International, I started a group to campaign for LGBTIQetc. My boss and I finally agreed to just call them BLTs

bkkguy
October 14th, 2017, 19:49
to help you a bit with "queer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5tAYnex6fY

there are quite a few in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQomTzxE9k

bkkguy

joe552
October 14th, 2017, 20:15
thanks for posting those, bkkguy - made me chuckle

latintopxxx
October 16th, 2017, 03:25
I almost cry thinking of your wasted years..living in the shadows..on the corners of society..there but not quite visible.....I can understand it...but damn I know Im lucky that I was out by the age of 14 ..well actually not only out but a very very busy boy in the swimming pool showers/train station toilets/parks at night.
I was " molested" by a much older neighbour..and enjoyed it..for a while i was his walking living dildo...loved it...and once I figured out what to do with it I was unstopable...in fact I've hardly slowed down...to me a day without fucking is a wasted day..
Being gay has affected my career...but I simply cannot live with that sort of secret..need to breathe freely...in a work environment I dont advertise my sexuality..but i dont go to any lengths to hide it and pretend Im with a woman or straight...
Maybe I was just lucky that even though I was brought up in a catholic environment...and my schooling was private catholic schools...my parents werent bible banging fundamentlist types...after all if God exists and if he mades us then ...hey!?!?
...and in closing...pay attention now...Im an auditor...a Quality & Food Safety auditor....still boring...but hey it pays the way and I get to fly across the globe and sample lotsa men along the way..life is good and I intend enjoying it while I can....while my dick works and while I use kamagra because i want to and not because i have to.

frequent
October 16th, 2017, 13:09
I personally never liked the term queer. In my younger days, it wasn't a positive word. I know younger people have started reclaiming it, and that's a good thing. But the word still sounds wrong for me.I prefer sodomite, but I'm also up for bugger. On the other hand I don't believe there's a "community" called LBGTIQ

Lesbians - no cock, not interested in cock
Gay - have cock, interested in cock
Bi - interested in cock
Trans - cocks in frocks
Inter - can't decide if they want a cock
Queer - disapproved by Joe (oh dear); basically the same as gay but don't believe in conforming to the heterosexual paradigm of marriage and all that bullshit