PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Mosaik?

joe552
October 9th, 2017, 05:48
I've booked to stay at Mosaik again for my upcoming trip (did I tell you I'm going to Pattaya for my birthday?) but it's rather expensive, for me. Are there alternatives in that general area? I don't need a pool or restaurant, really just a room, with a balcony - I like to sit on the balcony with a beer and a smoke at whatever time of day I'm awake.

I've asked my Lao friend for his opinion (he used to live in the area), but I'd appreciate any recommendations from members. I'm aware that it's high season, but Booking.com has a couple of likely candidates. What say you, gentlement?

Manforallseasons
October 9th, 2017, 06:01
You might want to check out Yensabi Condo by Sunee Plaza.....hard to recommend something without knowing what you want to spend daily for a room. Mosaic is a good location but is certainly showing its age.

joe552
October 9th, 2017, 07:38
You're right, MFAS, I should have specified a budget. I'm looking to spend €20-€25 a night. Mosaik are asking €32 for a 1 bed room with balcony. I know they have Studios, but I don't think they have balconies?

I'll have a look at Yensabai - it's certainly in the right area. Thanks.

joe552
October 9th, 2017, 07:54
I've booked an Economy apartment at Yensabai for €290. It seems to have everything I need, especially the balcony/patio. Thanks MFAS, you just saved me €130 - so there's a beer or two on me if you fancy it.

cdnmatt
October 9th, 2017, 09:08
I could provide advice, but unfortunately I'm not real.

bobsaigon2
October 9th, 2017, 11:17
Never mind, Matt. We have a couple of posters who are not real but they delight in providing comprehensive advice on everything under the sun, just like the now defunct Beachlover. So go ahead and provide your advice (with the assurance that someone will comment on it).

scottish-guy
October 9th, 2017, 16:58
And since you've unintentionally attracted over 3000 views to your thread on the basis of having the word "puberty" in the thread title, may I suggest you reply via an entirely new thread, inserting "hairless" somewhere in the title.

Im willing to bet views will go through the roof

Nirish guy
October 9th, 2017, 17:26
......... I'm not real.

Well thank GOD you've finally admitted it at LAST at least !!!! :)

joe552
October 9th, 2017, 19:12
Matt, post away - I've no doubt you're real - someone has to be typing those posts. I just don't believe the stories you tell anymore. I bought into the whole Kim saga, but you've take the Leo one just a bit too far for my credulity. But keep posting - it's entertaining.

So what's your view on Yensabai Condo?

Manforallseasons
October 9th, 2017, 19:25
I doubt he has a view since he and Leo moved with the dogs to Chiang Mai...Lol

arsenal
October 9th, 2017, 19:38
MFAS. He didn't move to CM. He moved to KK and was planning to move to CM but the plan was put back and put back and now the plan is for Matt and Leo from Laos to move to Laos and this plan has been put back until, I believe, January. Please try and keep up.

FarangRuMak
October 9th, 2017, 20:42
Matt, post away - I've no doubt you're real - someone has to be typing those posts. I just don't believe the stories you tell anymore. I bought into the whole Kim saga, but you've take the Leo one just a bit too far for my credulity. But keep posting - it's entertaining.

My view was of Monty's Pool Bar but without Monty. (I was a late-commer).
The other side gives you a view of the Yensabai pool which is frequented by a mixed bag of saggy farangs.
The lady owner is/was the best example of a Thai-Chinese woman that you're ever likely to meet.
Have fun.

joe552
October 9th, 2017, 21:00
Thanks FRM. I'm not talking about a sea view from the balcony - just somewhere to sit out, smoke and have a beer. Yensabai seems to offer that. I just had an email from them asking for any special requests, etc, so I know the booking has gone through. Now I have to find out if the bed will sleep three?

cdnmatt
October 9th, 2017, 21:54

Well, good thing I didn't end up with the nanotechnologist that works at KKU, eh? Then you really wouldn't believe me. He's a rice farmer from Laos, 250km down the road. We met on Grindr. What's so hard to believe about that? How many farangs here have fallen in love with a rice farmer? I can pretty much guarantee every single one of us. It's just I've been here a long time, so was able to pick a good one this time around. :)

It's not like I'm posting a bunch of BS BeachLover stories of 5 star luxury resorts, being highly successful, etc. Our big journey in life is a move about 200km north to VVientiane. Big deal.

-------------

Anyway, as for your question, you said you were 62, so are you ok with stairs? If so, I personally always liked Sanya Apartments. It's just at the start of Soi Buckhao, on the corner of that large field where they setup a market. Excellent large rooms, full kichen, living room, sliding doors in case one of you wants to sleep while the other is awake, etc. Not a gay hotel, but I had no problem bringing Kim there all the time. Only about 600 baht/night, or at least back then it was.

Or just want down the beginnings of Soi Bukhao, and there's rooms all over the place, many of them much nicer and cheaper than you would think.

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 01:37
Thanks for the information Matt. I'm sure some people will find it useful. But, as I already mentioned, I've booked Yensabai Condo - so all is sorted.

goji
October 10th, 2017, 02:02
The Flamingo used to be cheap, with a not very modern interior, but clean & comfortable beds. Also, a long balcony.

Same as last year, they do not appear to be advertising anywhere. However, it looked there were people in there last December, so maybe they have the same stealth marketing now.

If you fancy a punt on that, please PM me & I'll hunt out contact details.
And it would be a punt, since I was last there about 3 years ago.

Khor tose
October 10th, 2017, 02:13
The lady owner is/was the best example of a Thai-Chinese woman that you're ever likely to meet.

Two thumbs up.:yes:

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 03:17
Are my posts not appearing correctly? I'm sure I've posted that I have a confirmed booking at Yensabai Condo, so don't need any other recommendations. However, they may be of interest to others planning to visit. So I suppose a "thanks" is in order.

FRM, you're going to have to explain (for me) your reference to the owner, which garnered 2 thumbs up! I don't understand what you mean.

gerefan2
October 10th, 2017, 03:24
Sorry Joe, I have only just seen this thread.

I have stayed at Yensabai Condo now for 14 years (three months at a time) and I am familiar with the lady mentioned above. She is certainly NOT the owner of the Condo.

She is employed by the individual condo owners to manage the place. She is self appointed head of a family and is very, very well know to all farangs staying there...

They are NOT to be recommended.

The only trustworthy people to deal with are Pattaya Rent a Room based opposite the Condo. Farang run.
Their website is pattayarentaroom.com

I would ONLY recommend dealing with Pattaya Rent a Room and,if you have booked through anyone else then I sugggest you change immediately, if at all possible.

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 03:31
I booked through Hotels.com. I can always cancel, and go with your advice, gerefan. If you think that's necessary. Just when I thought I could relax!

I've just sent an email to the site you recommended, gerefan, but would still appreciate your comments (and any others, btw).

gerefan2
October 10th, 2017, 03:41
Thank fuck you haven't booked through Miss Piggy...although you may have indirectly as you will have to report somewhere when you arrive ...and you may find yourself dealing with that bitch.

PRR are honest and reliable.
How much did hotels.com ask per night?

I suggest you email PPR before you cancel Hotels.com as they do get booked up quickly. They always reply the same day or next day.

gerefan2
October 10th, 2017, 04:03
Also, read the reviews on Tripadvisor...its all there!!
https://uk.hotels.com/ho633803424/?q-check-out=2018-01-09&tab=description&q-room-0-adults=2&YGF=14&q-check-in=2018-01-02&MGT=7&WOE=2&WOD=2&ZSX=0&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 04:21
Gerefan, the link you gave is to Hotels.com, which is the site I booked on. I'll check Tripadvisor now. Appreciate your time.

gerefan2
October 10th, 2017, 04:27
Thinking about it...if you book with Booking you will 99% surely have to book in with Miss Piggy when you arrive. No other office at the Condo itself.

If you book with PRR you will go to their office across the road. They will give you the keys and you go direct to your room. No contact with Miss Piggy.

The rate you quote is good. It is about 800 Bt per night. I am paying 700, but it is for a 4 month stay.

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 04:52
I'm waiting for a reply to my email to PRR; I'll certainly go with them, if that's your advice. I'll keep you posted. Sorry, but I still don't understand what the problem with Miss Piggy was.

Oh no, I hear the others cry - not more trouble and strife from someone who only visits once a year (at most).

Nirish guy
October 10th, 2017, 06:05
Also, read the reviews on Tripadvisor...its all there!!
https://uk.hotels.com/ho633803424/?q-check-out=2018-01-09&tab=description&q-room-0-adults=2&YGF=14&q-check-in=2018-01-02&MGT=7&WOE=2&WOD=2&ZSX=0&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0

I think the link is the one you perhaps meant to post Gerefan ? - and boy did I see what you mean once I read some of those reviews ! I mean how the hell can the owner of a place read such shitty reviews about their management staff and NOT do something about it - especially when the building itself seems to get reasonable reviews mainly ( well except the wifi maybe).

Anyway here are the car crash reviews for those that are interested....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293919-d3927206-Reviews-Yensabai_Condotel-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

FarangRuMak
October 10th, 2017, 07:03
Are my posts not appearing correctly? I'm sure I've posted that I have a confirmed booking at Yensabai Condo, so don't need any other recommendations. However, they may be of interest to others planning to visit. So I suppose a "thanks" is in order.

FRM, you're going to have to explain (for me) your reference to the owner, which garnered 2 thumbs up! I don't understand what you mean.
Khor tose obviously agrees that the owner is the best example of a Thai-Chinese woman that you're ever likely to meet.
Who am I to disagree?

Manforallseasons
October 10th, 2017, 07:06
Not a bad ideas Joe, if you have any problem their office is across the street.

FarangRuMak
October 10th, 2017, 07:47
Sorry Joe, I have only just seen this thread.

I have stayed at Yensabai Condo now for 14 years (three months at a time) and I am familiar with the lady mentioned above. She is certainly NOT the owner of the Condo.

She is employed by the individual condo owners to manage the place. She is self appointed head of a family and is very, very well know to all farangs staying there...

They are NOT to be recommended.

The only trustworthy people to deal with are Pattaya Rent a Room based opposite the Condo. Farang run.
Their website is pattayarentaroom.com

I would ONLY recommend dealing with Pattaya Rent a Room and,if you have booked through anyone else then I sugggest you change immediately, if at all possible.
You have been in Yensabai Condo for 14 years and you don't even know the family connections involved in all that propery stretching from Soi Yen Sabai to Soi 17?
It's all owned by a very well respected family.

joe552
October 10th, 2017, 13:45
I've just had a reply from PRR, and am happy to go with them. Thanks, gerefan, for the recommendation.

FarangRuMak
October 10th, 2017, 20:14
Thank fuck you haven't booked through Miss Piggy...although you may have indirectly as you will have to report somewhere when you arrive ...and you may find yourself dealing with that bitch.

PRR are honest and reliable.
How much did hotels.com ask per night?

I suggest you email PPR before you cancel Hotels.com as they do get booked up quickly. They always reply the same day or next day.
The title 'Dragon Lady' is a much coveted title among the Chinese.

gerefan2
October 11th, 2017, 00:09
Just looked up the definition of Dragon Lady and that's def her. No doubt about it!

The reference to Miss Piggy is also very apt in the looks department, so perhaps henceforth she should be "Miss Piggy, the Dragon Lady".

Joe, you will understand exactly what we mean when you first see this witch...

FarangRuMak
October 11th, 2017, 00:54
Not forgetting the Baby Dragon.

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 01:34
Now you guys are getting a bit obtuse for my liking. I've booked the room with PRR, and am about to cancel my booking through Hotels.com. so apparently I avoid the Dragon Lady. Although that sounds like an experience in itself.

FarangRuMak
October 11th, 2017, 02:13
I think you'll be fine there as a short time resident.
There are mixed reviews on line about the place.
Just do your own thing and it's super convenient in terms of the night life.
Just warble from the Balcony Monty Bar side:
"O Danny boy the boy boy bars are calling..."

gerefan2
October 11th, 2017, 05:50
. so apparently I avoid the Dragon Lady. Although that sounds like an experience in itself.

Not an experience you would ever wish to repeat.

Youre safe with PRR....

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 07:24
Thanks for the advice guys. One piece of info, though, where can I tell the taxi to take me? Sure I've been on Soi Yensabai but don't look at street signs (if they have them), so I don't really have a picture of where this is in relation to Mosaik, for example. I could direct the driver to Mosaik - where is Yensabai in relation to that?

Nirish guy
October 11th, 2017, 07:36
There's your map, just zoom in if not showing - and yes if stuck go to mosaik and then just head towards Sunee plaza direction - the two places are only a minutes drive apart.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293919-d3927206-Reviews-Yensabai_Condotel-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 07:58
Thanks NIrish, probably passed the place lots of times. My friend is going to arrange my taxi - possibly one of his mates who has a car. They'll find it ok. In the past, I've paid 1500Bt for the airport run - is that still the going rate?

FarangRuMak
October 11th, 2017, 14:45
Thanks for the advice guys. One piece of info, though, where can I tell the taxi to take me? Sure I've been on Soi Yensabai but don't look at street signs (if they have them), so I don't really have a picture of where this is in relation to Mosaik, for example. I could direct the driver to Mosaik - where is Yensabai in relation to that?

Glad you've decided to stay there and so is everyone else.
Being drama queens at heart we'll all be on tenterhooks watching how you get on with Dragon Lady.
Oh! and of course Baby Dragon - trot filly:trot foal.
I can't wait for January.

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 17:58
Glad you've decided to stay there and so is everyone else.
Being drama queens at heart we'll all be on tenterhooks watching how you get on with Dragon Lady.
Oh! and of course Baby Dragon - trot filly:trot foal.hank
I can't wait for January.

Since I have absolutely no idea what that post meant, I 'll reserve judgement until January, Thanks for the advice about PRR.

FarangRuMak
October 11th, 2017, 18:30
Too late to edit.
Re: Mamma dragon and Baby dragon;
Trot filly, Trot foal.

newalaan2
October 11th, 2017, 19:26
I've booked to stay at Mosaik again for my upcoming trip (did I tell you I'm going to Pattaya for my birthday?) but it's rather expensive, for me. Are there alternatives in that general area? I don't need a pool or restaurant, really just a room, with a balcony - I like to sit on the balcony with a beer and a smoke at whatever time of day I'm awake.

I've asked my Lao friend for his opinion (he used to live in the area), but I'd appreciate any recommendations from members. I'm aware that it's high season, but Booking.com has a couple of likely candidates. What say you, gentlement?

Yes Joe, some of the rooms can be expensive at Mosaik in high season. Glad to see you got fixed up at Yensabai, hope that works out ok for you.

Just for your future info, Mosaik covers virtually every type of room with/without balconies,but you have to know exactly what you want and specify. I think the ideal room at Mosaik for you would be the Prestige Studio, I think 60sq m, with kitchen area, sleeping area and spacious sitting area with large sofa and two arm chairs, as well as dining table/chairs, but it has a full size balcony same as the 1-beds. Unfortunately there are only 2 rooms of this exact catagory C3-3 and C2-3 in (C Block). I booked C3-3 for current dates at Bt7,000 for 10 days plus watr/elect, fortunately Mosaik is 85% full at present due to Korean/Chinese 10 days holiday so they upgraded me to F Block as they needed all the Studios and I changed my dates slightly. But the C3-3/C2-3 are good size rooms and look out across from Bordeaux Restaurant soi and small soi at rear of Mosaik.

Note also they have 'Standard' 1-bed rooms in E Block above Bordeaux Restaurant some with good size balconies, which are more reasonable than normal deluxe 1-beds.

joe552
October 11th, 2017, 19:44
Thanks for that information. Something to bear in mind for next time.

gerefan2
October 12th, 2017, 01:38
Thanks NIrish, probably passed the place lots of times. My friend is going to arrange my taxi - possibly one of his mates who has a car. They'll find it ok. In the past, I've paid 1500Bt for the airport run - is that still the going rate?

Not really, it's usually 1000. See... Pttaxiservice.com

But hardly worth arguing about if your friends are picking you up.

Nirish guy
October 12th, 2017, 02:10
My friend is going to arrange my taxi - possibly one of his mates who has a car.

Well, just be sure to remember to throw all your butts on his car floor if he didn't think to bring an ashtray for you, you know, just the same as you do when you're at the beach....... :-P :)

scottish-guy
October 12th, 2017, 02:31
Well, just be sure to remember to throw all your butts on his car floor if he didn't think to bring an ashtray for you, you know, just the same as you do when you're at the beach....... :-P :)

Also turn your back on him and piss on the floor if he hasn't provided a suitable urinal

:D

joe552
October 12th, 2017, 03:30
Ah now, lads, you're just being silly. I've never pissed in a taxi (that I can remember). Yensabai Condo seems to fit my bill, and thanks to gerefan, I'm going with PRR, so I think we're all sorted.