PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Thai mafia?

July 16th, 2006, 11:49
I mean aside from the police.... I have heard tales (especially outside of bkk) that a mafia type of group operates at night on the road and charges "tolls" etc - 1 place was said to be near Sisaket

July 16th, 2006, 14:13
Along with the processes of globalization of a world economy, there has also been a globalization of syndicated crime families (i.e., Russian mob linked to the Chinese Triads linked to the Mafioso, and on and on). They employ the best engineers to keep them abreast of international police tracking programs.

As for Thailand, read Guns, Girls, Gambling and Ganja. Can't recall the authors names but they are political science faculty at Chulalongkorn University. Reputedly, the most feared Jao Po in Thailand is the godfather of Chonburi. Many of the favored gun men are brought in from Phichit.

When on Soi 3 in Boyztown keep your eyes out for the early morning activities of the police, and the evening strolls of the loan sharks, and the gambling debt collectors. Put one and one together, and there you have it.

A more incisive question is the participation of European business owners in Pattaya in the crime rackets associated with the mob.

Marsilius
July 16th, 2006, 15:08
"Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy" by Pasuk Phongpaichit, Sangsit Phiriyarangsan, and Nualnoi Treerat (Paperback - Mar 1999). Available via amazon.com

July 17th, 2006, 01:11
when i stay in a small village near sisaket - father wont let us go into town alone...he and uncle have to come along because theyre worried about the gangsters getting us on the small unlit roads to the main highway......... i often wonder do they have other motives as ive never seen any of these "gangs" on motorbikes lol

July 17th, 2006, 02:19
when i stay in a small village near sisaket - father wont let us go into town alone...he and uncle have to come along because theyre worried about the gangsters getting us on the small unlit roads to the main highway......... i often wonder do they have other motives as ive never seen any of these "gangs" on motorbikes lol

Their only motive is to gang bang you, Uncle Fester. Who can resist that sagging arse, those love handles, the shining pate and oodles and oodles of cellulite?

July 17th, 2006, 02:21

Their only motive is to gang bang you, Uncle Fester. Who can resist that sagging arse, those love handles, the shining pate and oodles and oodles of cellulite?

You forgot the huge cock bit!

July 17th, 2006, 02:27

You forgot the huge cock bit!

...and the droopy boobs!

July 17th, 2006, 02:31
Even the Thai mob is not able to organize in Thailand. Be a lot more carefully whit Chinese in Thailand !

July 17th, 2006, 03:35
perhaps miss sybil would grace us with one of her photos........ im sure we`d all love to see it. Maybe shes a mafia bigwig and has to stay incognito.

July 17th, 2006, 05:21
Try opening a motor bike Taxi service, Gold shop or baht bus service, or if your completely mad try selling drugs your soon come face to face with the Mafia or open any successful business they will soon be knocking on your door, like paying for a license in the west.

Your best post this month LMTU, i am very agree !

July 17th, 2006, 12:14
... by my friend that a certain personage not too far from the throne has certain mafia connections!

I neither say which throne nor which country.

July 17th, 2006, 15:25
No in my opinion there are no impromptu road tolls in Thailand. Unlike Mexico or Indonesia for example. There are official road blocks, but they usually just wave you through when they see you are a tourist.

LMTY, how come no one has mentioned this here before?

July 17th, 2006, 23:04
How many boys at our favorite fun spots on Soi 3 and elsewhere in Pattaya are AWOL due to bet money with interest owed to the well-organized loan shark industry? The syndicated group is represented on Soi 3 by the ever-present nightingale drag queen. Better yet, which well known expats are part of this system?

July 17th, 2006, 23:26
Mafia's.. yes.

which reminds me..I found Edith in bed once with a horses head..well the whole bloody horse in fact but she convinced me it was an old Gypsie trick to ensure no-one made off with the beast during the night !!
( I have no idea what the tub of KY was for )

July 18th, 2006, 14:16
For more information on the underground economy in Thailand and its fun figures, read:

Corruption & Democracy in Thaland, Pasuk Phongpaichit and Sungsidh Piriyanrangsan, Silkworm Books.

travelerjim
July 18th, 2006, 22:31
Thai Visa has issued this report today on its website: see posting and more replies on...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76140 .

100 DSI, police officers raid Koh Samui, arrest Briton

Koh Samui, Surat Thani: -- A team of 100 officers from the Crime Suppression Division, Anti-Money Laundering Office and Department of Investigation raided this tourist destination island Tuesday morning and arrested a Briton and three Thais.

The Briton, Peter Watkinjones, 40, was accused of leading a multinational mafia gang which bribed land officials to gain access to public land on the island for sale to foreigners.

The officers, divided into small teams, raided ten spots to try to arrest seven members of the so-called Bandidos gang.

DSI spokesman Pol Col Dussadee Arayawutthi said the three Thai men were identified as Pramual Somwong, a land official, and two ordinary people - Samroeng Buanak and Prateep Muangkaew.

He said a Briton and two Danish men were still elusive.

He said the seven were suspected of using influence to pressure local businesses and people to sell business and land to them and they paid bribe to land officials to use land documents elsewhere to forge ownership of public land on the island and sold them to foreigners at steep prices.

Dussadee said the sale contracts were undervalued as the buyers paid the rest of the money to the gang abroad.

--The Nation 2006-07-18