PDA

View Full Version : Pushing those drinks!!

Mickp
October 2nd, 2017, 13:14
One thing I liked about the old Corner Bar with Crabby & Co was they never had Waiters who constantly " pushed" drinks onto you like they were on some kind of commission.

It's not the Go Go bars im talking about but some of these regular beer bars.

Sky Bar in Sunee for one where I had to tell the owner Alain to fuck off a few times as he kept asking me '" another drink? Another drink?

Cocka2 bar in jomtien is another with a pushy waiter who comes iver and shakes your beer bottle every 2 minutes to see if its full

And I not kid you every fucking 2 minutes he's over at your table.

It was like this at Buttons favourite hole the All of me bar which went into liquidation

For fucks sake you cant be that desperate to sell drinks !!!!

You only do your business the disservice , customers want to be left alone to relax, talk , etc without the need to have a waiter constantly monitor their gulps of the drink.

I cant wait till i get my own bar

Most of the times i voted with my feet and gave these bars a miss.

actually Crabby at the former Corner Bar had the right idea of not bothering customers most of the time u had to go to the bar to order anyway

I know the bar depends on profit and thats selling drinks, but it doesnt take a businessman to work out if you have a waiter who is a annoying cunt approaching your table every minute yiu are gonna lose customers

I actually watched several customers walk past a bar last week saw the annoying waiter and moved on quickly .

scottish-guy
October 2nd, 2017, 14:02
...I cant wait till i get my own bar...

So what are you 'waiting' for - you've already told us countless times that you're a millionaire on the way to becoming a multi millionaire

a447
October 2nd, 2017, 15:45
He's probably hesitating because he's been around long enough to know that opening a gay bar in Thailand is the quickest way to lose your money!

joe552
October 2nd, 2017, 17:09
Mickp, I have to disagree with you about All of Me bar. It was my favourite bar for the last few trips. I never found the staff pushy - attentive yes, pushy no. As far as I know, the owner did not go bankrupt, but moved back to the States to take care of his sister. Well, that's what he told me himself last time I was there.

arsenal
October 2nd, 2017, 17:25
Bogsville Mick as Mein Host. Too surreal to contemplate.

francois
October 2nd, 2017, 17:51
Mickp, I have to disagree with you about All of Me bar. It was my favourite bar for the last few trips. I never found the staff pushy - attentive yes, pushy no. As far as I know, the owner did not go bankrupt, but moved back to the States to take care of his sister. Well, that's what he told me himself last time I was there.

For sure, joe, All of Me was a fine bar with attentive waiters. The owner is alive and well and has been back and forth from the States.

Manforallseasons
October 2nd, 2017, 18:03
The problem with All of Me was he listened to suggestions.

joe552
October 2nd, 2017, 18:08
I don't understand that last post, MFAS.

arsenal
October 2nd, 2017, 18:21
All of Me became the hang out of the coffin dodging brigade. Originally sel-styled as 'barmy army' and now metamhorphosed into The Meatloafateers. You can imagine the 'suggestions' that lot came up with. Every single one would involve charging them less.

joe552
October 2nd, 2017, 19:12
I was often in the bar when the 'barmy army' gathered. I had no problem with them. It was a group of friends meeting for a drink or a coffee, before dispersing for dinner or whatever. They didn't monopolise the staff's time, I never felt badly served by staff when they were there.

I really don't understand your point. How did their "demands" change what the owner was offering?

cdnmatt
October 2nd, 2017, 19:15
What I really love is when restaurant owners come over to your table in the middle of a meal, and proceed to give you their life story. That's always great fun.

(sarcasm)

FarangRuMak
October 2nd, 2017, 19:41
The problem with All of Me was he listened to suggestions.
For me the problem was vanilla & lady-boy type staff.
The kid of place I avoid like a plague-house but that's me.

joe552
October 2nd, 2017, 19:56
For me the problem was vanilla & lady-boy type staff.
The kid of place I avoid like a plague-house but that's me.

Exactly, FRM, not your type of bar? Don't go! I liked it, so I went. Luckily we have choices. Personally, I think it was good.

FarangRuMak
October 2nd, 2017, 20:28
Yes.
Variety is the spice of life.
I gave it a try or two then I didn't go back.

francois
October 3rd, 2017, 00:05
I was often in the bar when the 'barmy army' gathered. I had no problem with them. It was a group of friends meeting for a drink or a coffee, before dispersing for dinner or whatever. They didn't monopolise the staff's time, I never felt badly served by staff when they were there.

I really don't understand your point. How did their "demands" change what the owner was offering?

joe, how can anyone understand the point someone is trying to make on this forum?
Basically it is all bs or fun and games with little or no reason or logic in many of the responses to posts. Sad.

It seems that many posters here just want to shit on anyone and everyone that doesn't fit their mold even if they have nothing to base their statements upon.

Manforallseasons
October 3rd, 2017, 00:29
All of Me became the hang out of the coffin dodging brigade. Originally sel-styled as 'barmy army' and now metamhorphosed into The Meatloafateers. You can imagine the 'suggestions' that lot came up with. Every single one would involve charging them less.

Word has it that whilst making suggestions the group leader was drinking tea with a tea bag he brought with him.

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 01:28
Tea-bagging is a harmless vice but more common than you might think among the retired community.
It's passive yet mouthwatering.

gerefan2
October 3rd, 2017, 01:38
And what is wrong with bringing your own,favourite,hard to get, unavailable, tea?
It's the same with Wine and corkage isn't it?

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 01:53
How much to cork a Tea bag?
I could see the staff offering Tea-Bagging for a fee though.

whitemouse
October 3rd, 2017, 02:25
How much to cork a Tea bag?
I could see the staff offering Tea-Bagging for a fee though.

That would be nice, and very healthy. But staff here rarely has bags, they have more like Macadanian nuts, hard with rough edges, and lacking elasticity. Not something soft, sweaty, low hanging, bouncing, sweaty (did I stipulate sweaty allready)?

Is that too much to ask? Does this strike you as unreasonable to expect?

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 03:58
I rarely drink tea, and your picture decreases even further my taste for the beverage.

PS I only found out recently what "tea bagging" meant in a sexual context. Ah, the joys of a cloistered life!

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 06:20
+Whitemouse.
I found one or two with swinging sacks but I agree,
they remind me too much of James Joyce's phrase; "The Scrotum Tightening Sea"

arsenal
October 3rd, 2017, 06:25
Francois. And your main contribution here seems to be complaining about everyone else. Lighten up old boy. You live in Pattaya. Try having some fun for fucks sake.

a447
October 3rd, 2017, 08:09
Word has it that whilst making suggestions the group leader was drinking tea with a tea bag he brought with him.

And word also has it that whilst preparing to leave, the group leader stuffed the cup and saucer, along with the sugar bowl, into his pocket. He took a couple of tissues, too.

Mind you, it might just be someone spreading a rumour.

arsenal
October 3rd, 2017, 09:04
I have heard tell that most of them are so old dinner must be paid for in advance. Just in case.

francois
October 3rd, 2017, 10:01
Arsenal, as usual you play along with someone's post about tea bags and make fun of it.
In case you are unaware, if someone wants to bring their own tea/coffee bag with them, the cost of the heated water is the same as that with or without a tea/coffee bag. In fact the bar saves money by not having to provide the tea/coffee bag.

As for my contributions, at least they are there to provide some sense to otherwise misleading information provided by others for their amusement. Maybe you should have me banned for doing that?

As for a447, he only adds more insults by accusing someone of theft. Oh yes, I forgot, it is all about fun and games at someone else's expense. 55555555555555

arsenal
October 3rd, 2017, 11:05
Honestly Francois you have the disposition of a Panda. All sniffy and too precious for life.

Mickp
October 3rd, 2017, 11:07
Good point Frankie ... Michael/ Crabby used to charge 10 baht for the hot water cup, he wasnt greedy and wanted his bar full rather than push drunks into customers.

I notice your english has got 100% better too great stuff keep up the good work Frankie..

PS , If we had met i could of gave u a shift on that gate in Sunee

bobsaigon2
October 3rd, 2017, 11:16
I have heard tell that most of them are so old dinner must be paid for in advance. Just in case.

Now I understand the business plan of so many restaurant owners in Florida, home to millions of retirees. The cafeteria style format allows payment to be collected before the customers sit down to eat.

francois
October 3rd, 2017, 11:26
Right on joe, get the money before they die. :D

arsenal
October 3rd, 2017, 11:29
Exactly right Bob. If some old patriarch croaks having eaten half a lobster and drank half a bottle of Bolly without payment being received. Well, it's a legal nightmare that could employ lawyers for years.

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 11:30
Eh, I think that was bobsaigon, not me, francois!

francois
October 3rd, 2017, 11:57
Excusez moi, joe; yes it was bobsaigon.

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 12:38
Of course, I excusez vous, francois. I can see where the confusion can arise. He's an older (than me) gentleman who lives in Vietnam. I am a young buck living in Dublin. An easy mistake to make.

Please don't correct my French in public - I'm not a native speaker!

bobsaigon2
October 3rd, 2017, 12:49
Joe, love to trade places with you. Must be great to be a young buck living in Dublin. :)

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 13:02
bob, it was when I was actually​ a young buck! Those days are far behind me now, I fear.

bobsaigon2
October 3rd, 2017, 13:28
No worries. I was always assured by Thai boys that age is just a number and you're as young as you feel. My problem was that I never really felt young.

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 13:44
I always believed that you're as young as the boy that you're feeling. Keeps me feeling about 19!

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 14:27
Right on joe, get the money before they die. :D
I notice it's common practice to objectify the old and dying. You hear things like "they get a death rattle before they go" & "they open their eyes before they pass on" etc.
It should of course be "WE" not "THEY".

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 14:36
And what is wrong with bringing your own,favourite,hard to get, unavailable, tea?
It's the same with Wine and corkage isn't it?
Not saying that this is apposite for the "barmy army" (they're a club of drinkers AND thinkers at least) but can you avoid "Corkage" on a technicality such as bringing along a Screw Cap bottle to a restaurant?

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 14:42
Surely (don't keep calling me Shirley!) it's a natural reaction - not wanting to face up to our own mortality?

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 14:55
....and more than happy to face up to the mortality of others.

francois
October 3rd, 2017, 16:30
Non, non! when you bring a bottle of wine to a restaurant, whether with a cork or a screw cap one must pay the price of opening the bottle. In French the expression is "droit de bouchon"/right of the cork/stopper.

Now, as for the Barmy Army, which demobilized some years ago with the passing of Let-Me-Tell-You, they are not really drinkers of wine or spirits except for a few. As for thinkers, that is a matter of conjecture.

joe552
October 3rd, 2017, 18:09
Having observed their "meetings" in All of Me, I can safely say none of them were Irish.

FarangRuMak
October 3rd, 2017, 19:26
Non, non! when you bring a bottle of wine to a restaurant, whether with a cork or a screw cap one must pay the price of opening the bottle. In French the expression is "droit de bouchon"/right of the cork/stopper.

Now, as for the Barmy Army, which demobilized some years ago with the passing of Let-Me-Tell-You, they are not really drinkers of wine or spirits except for a few. As for thinkers, that is a matter of conjecture.
Your reply vis.a.vis "droit de bouchon" versus the screw cap has a certain "je ne sais quoi".

francois
October 4th, 2017, 00:53
Having observed their "meetings" in All of Me, I can safely say none of them were Irish.

I think you may be incorrect about that, joe, although there was never a real Barmy Army.
In fact I do not recall who was or wasn't associated with that group back them however there were some whose names were Irish. Basically the Army was a figment of LMTU's(let-me-tell-you) imagination to characterize any and all whom he disliked. If anything, those he maligned likely were unaware of him or his intentions nor concerned about him. In modern parlance, simply fake news.

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 01:28
Well, francois, I'm always open to correction. On my last few trips to Pattaya, and to All of Me, there was a group of 6-8 Americans who gathered every evening, sat and chatted for an hour or so, then dispersed. I always assumed they were the infamous 'barmy army'. Am I wrong?

Manforallseasons
October 4th, 2017, 07:32
Well, francois, I'm always open to correction. On my last few trips to Pattaya, and to All of Me, there was a group of 6-8 Americans who gathered every evening, sat and chatted for an hour or so, then dispersed. I always assumed they were the infamous 'barmy army'. Am I wrong?

No need for any correction Joe they were in fact the remnants of the now defuncted "Barmy Army".

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 11:33
And these are the same guys who enjoy Meatloaf Thursday?

Manforallseasons
October 4th, 2017, 11:41
Same

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 11:56
Thanks, MFAS

francois
October 4th, 2017, 11:59

Not really, joe. Those who attend the meatloaf dinners are from various locations in Pattaya including Jomtien and downtown Pattaya. While those who were part of the fictitious Army where fewer in number and lived closer to the downtown Pattaya area. No different than any other group of friends who would regularly congregate on a regular basis.

francois
October 4th, 2017, 12:06

joe, you were correct, no "Irish" among the group if you mean residents of Ireland. There were some who were of Irish descent. The small group of 6-8 were primarily American although some other nationalities were also present at times.

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 12:28
I sometimes wondered if some of them were ex-military, who served in the Vietnam war, and never went home. Or fell in love with SE Asia, and returned when their military service ended. Pure speculation on my part.

francois
October 4th, 2017, 12:40
I only know of one man who served in Vietnam who now lives part time in Pattaya. Likely there are more.

Manforallseasons
October 4th, 2017, 13:47
I sometimes wondered if some of them were ex-military, Pure speculation on my part.

Not sure if the Barmy Army would qualify.

Mickp
October 4th, 2017, 13:56
I sometimes wondered if some of them were ex-military, who served in the Vietnam war, and never went home. Or fell in love with SE Asia, and returned when their military service ended. Pure speculation on my part.

My knowledge is one worked for the USA Postal Service for many years as a sorter.
Another guy who lives on the darkside was a cleaner/janitor ar a Airforce base

FarangRuMak
October 4th, 2017, 14:34
He probably told the boys that he was a 4 Star General cleaner in the US Army.
To someone with basic English that would sound great.

pennyboy
October 4th, 2017, 19:44
I seem to recall seeing a sign at the big round table at the front of All of Me "Reserved for The Barmy Army"

arsenal
October 4th, 2017, 19:51
It used to say VIPs in The Corner Bar. I know...beggars belief.

a447
October 4th, 2017, 19:56
Regular customers are VIPS for any business, especially one struggling in Sunee.

I don't understand why people want to put shit on those who are helping to keep the place alive.

FarangRuMak
October 4th, 2017, 20:27
Some people would p-ss on Mother Teresa.
But then Christopher Hitchens (who's badly missed) called her ' Hell's Angel'.

cdnmatt
October 4th, 2017, 22:58

I could see that, as that's basically how I ended up here. Went to visit my parents in Kuala Lumpur, and haven't left yet. That was 8 years ago.

scottish-guy
October 4th, 2017, 23:30
What's the fuck has that got to do with Vietnam War?

:dash:

cdnmatt
October 4th, 2017, 23:32
Sometimes people visit SE Asis for the first time, fall in love with it, and stay.

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 23:42
Matt, I was talking about guys who had served in the military during the Vietnam war. Whatever we (those of us old enough to actually remember it) think of the war now, the guys who fought deserve our respect. Your trite "I went to Kuala Lumpur and never went home" comment is insensitive, to put it mildly. Your experience of Asia is nothing compared to those young men.

scottish-guy
October 4th, 2017, 23:48
Yes but as Joe says, he was talking about falling in love with SE Asia and returning after military service

You know how we like to keep things relevant and on-topic here Matt - we don't want Head Judge Len (aka Arsenal) ticking you off do we?

francois
October 4th, 2017, 23:54
I seem to recall seeing a sign at the big round table at the front of All of Me "Reserved for The Barmy Army"

Fake news!. It read "reserved".

francois
October 5th, 2017, 00:00
It used to say VIPs in The Corner Bar. I know...beggars belief.

So, according to you, arsenal, a bar cannot have a reserved table for loyal customers?
Now that beggars belief.

scottish-guy
October 5th, 2017, 00:44
I think it's the suggestion that a bunch of raddled old queens can be described as Very Important Persons

joe552
October 5th, 2017, 01:56
From my observation of the group at All of Me, they were undemanding, just sat and chatted for an hour or two, and went on their way. I've no idea how much they would spend - one or two drinks each perhaps - but in low season, (I usually went in June) having a group you could count on is a big thing. Makes the place look popular. I know I tend to go to a bar which already has customers.

FarangRuMak
October 5th, 2017, 02:20
From my observation of the group at All of Me, they were undemanding, just sat and chatted for an hour or two, and went on their way. I've no idea how much they would spend - one or two drinks each perhaps - but in low season, (I usually went in June) having a group you could count on is a big thing. Makes the place look popular. I know I tend to go to a bar which already has customers.
Hunting game teaches you that this is correct.
If you wait by a lake and wish to bag some wild ducks or geese you put out decoys.
These bob up and down on the water and give flying game overhead the urge to join in the fun.
Then you shoot your load and go home (ironically) with a full bag despite the fact that you've shot your load ....if that makes sense.

joe552
October 5th, 2017, 02:46
To be honest, it's a bit of a stretch, if you'll pardon the pun.

FarangRuMak
October 5th, 2017, 07:01
I think it's the suggestion that a bunch of raddled old queens can be described as Very Important Persons

OLDIES & GAYS & QUEENS ;
I always admire the economic use of words.
Three groups insulted in a single sentence.

francois
October 5th, 2017, 11:29

Are you suggesting I am a raddled old queen? :D Nonetheless, anyone who has money and willing to spend it is a VIP.

arsenal
October 5th, 2017, 12:19
Francois wrote. (Francois is the official Ambassador for The Meatloafateers here on SGT)
"So, according to you, arsenal, a bar cannot have a reserved table for loyal customers?
Now that beggars belief."

Perhaps with such a love of cheap meatloat the sign on the table should simply read 'Beggars.'

scottish-guy
October 5th, 2017, 14:08
....the suggestion that a bunch of raddled old queens can be described as Very Important Persons...

...Three groups insulted in a single sentence...

That's what I'm aiming for

:D

scottish-guy
October 5th, 2017, 14:19
...anyone who has money and willing to spend it is a VIP.

Yet, we're told that some people (the ROQs) are designated VIPs (and indicated as such by a little VIP sign on their table), whilst all others (without a VIP sign) are by implication not as important.

Personally I don't frequent the bar in question and I have nothing against the VIP/ROQs (I'd happily be described as a ROQ myself!) - but if I was a customer paying the same prices as the VIP/ROQs then I'd feel uncomfortable to be designated less important and that's bad management.

arsenal
October 5th, 2017, 14:27
I've taken the piss out of them (and will certainly continue to do so) but they do spend money on drinks and in low low season they'll still be there night after night. Corner Bar Michael (and his return would be greeted like the second coming) said they often made the difference between breaking even and losing money.

scottish-guy
October 5th, 2017, 14:39
I understand that - and it's fine if (as a non-VIP) you're happy to be told your "place" and to accept it.

When I go into a bar though I do not do so on the basis of it being some kind of members' club into which I am merely an interloper.

However, that's just my natural rebellious streak.

Mickp
October 5th, 2017, 14:41
Get that fooling tartan dress off

FarangRuMak
October 5th, 2017, 14:42
That's what I'm aiming for

:D
Your aim was true on this occasion.
Admirable.
We should all err on the side of 'esperito' rather than spewing out froth.

FarangRuMak
October 5th, 2017, 14:50
I've taken the piss out of them (and will certainly continue to do so) but they do spend money on drinks and in low low season they'll still be there night after night. Corner Bar Michael (and his return would be greeted like the second coming) said they often made the difference between breaking even and losing money.
On the micro level regular customers make the difference between breaking even and loosing money.
But the over-arching reason for going broke is often one or two thieving staff working in unison while the boss gets pissed every day.

francois
October 5th, 2017, 14:50
Francois wrote. (Francois is the official Ambassador for The Meatloafateers here on SGT)
"So, according to you, arsenal, a bar cannot have a reserved table for loyal customers?
Now that beggars belief."

Perhaps with such a love of cheap meatloat the sign on the table should simply read 'Beggars.'

Two different bars and two different times, arsenal. The reserved sign was at Corner Bar although I don't recall the VIP as being part of the sign. The Meatloaf is at Ting Tong Red about 10 years later. Send me a PM if you would like an invite and I will pass it up the chain of command.

Mickp
October 5th, 2017, 14:52
The corner bar was run by neal

arsenal
October 5th, 2017, 14:57
My dear Francois.
Thank you so much for your invitation to partake of the meatloaf. I understand it's rather good and as any foodie will tell you, making something delicious out of something inexpensive is quite a skill. However, my time in Pattaya is short and therefore precious and I would rather spend that time in a Thai restaurant or one that offers 3 courses. Once again I thank you for your invitation.
Regards.
Arsenal.

P.S
The sign definitely said Reserved for VIPs.