View Full Version : Pattaya-Phuket

July 15th, 2006, 15:50
Im thinking of flying from pattaya to phuket return during my next trip. Has anybody done this trip, and if so any comments.

jinks
July 15th, 2006, 16:28
Bangkok Airways fly UTP over USM to HKT.

In English... Utapao via Koh Samui to Phuket .

My route Dec 15/20 this year.

July 15th, 2006, 17:13
I used Bangkok Air out of Utapao to Ko Samui on the last trip. Very pleased with their service and quality. Utapao is about 35 minutes from Pattaya. I would not hesitate to use them for a trip to Phuket. They operate regular flight to Phuket.

www.bangkokair.com/ (http://www.bangkokair.com/)

This was BFтАЩs first airplane flight and he was a like a kid on Christmas morning. Dressed in his best outfit and with a small suitcase packed with the essentials (some clothes and lots of hair products), he was pumped for the trip. Once we got near the airport the camera never stopped taking snaps and videos. I was a little concerned since Bangkok Air operates out of Utapao which is a military base. I was half expecting a jeep load of Military Police to drive up and grab the spies for questioning. However, some of the young soldiers were cute. BF tells me тАЬonly lookтАЭ and is tolerant of my тАЬbutterfly eyesтАЭ. BF is gay and likes to look also.

At the airport he could not get enough of the scene. He was looking everywhere and describing all he was seeing. Fortunately he kept the camera in his pocket. He grew more excited as we boarded the trolley and rode out to the plane. As we boarded the plane he was absolutely giddy with excitement.

Of course I had him sit by the window. I like the extra space the aisle provides my legs and I wanted him to enjoy the sights from the air. I typically read the airline magazine during take off and pay no attention to the operations of the plane. All of a sudden, he grabs my arm and holds on with a death grip. We had just taken off and he has totally startled me. It took me a moment to realize the plane was alright and it was just him being surprised by a totally new sensation. тАЬMy stomach fall!тАЭ. He has never been on an amusement park ride either.

The death grip turned into a nice hand hold and he kept looking out the window for the remaining flight trying to take in all he saw. тАЬSo beautifulтАЭ, тАЬSo highтАЭ, тАЬWater so bigтАЭ, тАЬClouds so prettyтАЭ and on and on and on. It was a little like re-experiencing my first flight when I was a youth.

BF is from north Thailand so he has never seen how big the ocean really is. He was totally fascinated by the box lunch. His favorite, Thai noodles, but тАЬnot so good as shop near roomтАЭ. Welcome to airline food.

Once above the clouds he wanted to stop and get out so he could тАЬwalk on cloudsтАЭ, can?тАЭ. The short one-hour flight was soon over and the approach into the Ko Samui airport was (and is) a beautiful sight. BF was happy and sad. He want to fly longer but was happy to be on Ko Samui. The open air terminal was small and soon the resort driver had our bags and us in the car for the short ride to our accommodations.

Dick
July 15th, 2006, 17:17
Lovely narrative Joe. It put me there with you.

paulg
July 15th, 2006, 19:03
Im thinking of flying from pattaya to phuket return during my next trip. Has anybody done this trip, and if so any comments.

I have done this trip 4 times each way and it is very convenient. I book on the net and the prices are very reasonable.

The biggest difficulty is to/from U Tapoa airport until I found a regular taxi. The bus takes for ever. Standard fare 750 baht

Your hotel in Phuket will meet you for a standard 500baht.

Bangkokair even have a lounge for its all economy service. And a FF service.

Recommend the trip

Where will you stay??

July 15th, 2006, 19:27
Joe,

That was a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

July 15th, 2006, 22:17
I was about to post a reply to the gorgeous Edith who said : " I, personally, don't like the beach set-up "..which was taken care of by the Tsunami events but now I see this thread is from 2004 !

How are these threads from so long ago suddenly appearing again ??

What happened to Edith's post..did it disappear by itself ??

Is it deliberate or a quirk in the system ??

Is there life on Mars ??

nb: I now see this post is actually from this week so it's definitely early signs of Altheimers setting in..something I'm looking forward to..but I still say there was a post from Edith that disappeared !!)

piston10
July 16th, 2006, 03:46
.... because it conveys not only the boy's excitement and delight at the new experiences, but, whether he's aware of it or not, the deep satisfaction of his own paternal instincts. 'Christmas morning', which gives us our essential sense of direction here, is a great joy ot only to the child, but to the parent,and most gay men live their lives without having the opportunity to explore or experience this powerful male feeling. I am often surprised that the paternal instinct does not get a mention in our discussions of the relationships between farang and Thai boys, and feel certain that what is referred to as the 'love' an older man feels for a boy often has a strong element of the paternal in it. This does not make it less real, or less painful if something goes wrong. And we might remember that not to have a child, or not to have a functioning father, is, perhaps, not to have the fullest of lives.

July 16th, 2006, 05:17
I am often surprised that the paternal instinct does not get a mention in our discussions of the relationships between farang and Thai boys...

Because nobody wants to hear about a father fucking his son (or grandson).

July 16th, 2006, 05:32
Piston10,

I think you hit it on the head. I try to explain to Thai and farang alike that I WANT to find a good Thai boy to take care of because I am 37yo, my parents are dead and I am an only child, I make a good living , and I want to know there is someone in my life who depends on me to care for them.

Can I find this in the US? Maybe, but a Thai's cultural upbringing allows him to accept this sort of relationship (even welcome it and seek it out) much more than a young Western man. I don't want to be someone's father, or to have a grown Thai son, but certainly I feel as if there are some paternal aspects to what I want.

I'm finished with my last BF (but not a bad breakup), but I am still very happy I was able to help him start his own business (now two), so he can take care of himself and his family. I have no regrets that I took care of him for as long as I did. I think if I could find a good Thai boy to love and nuture and care for every three-to-five years for the rest of my life, that it will not have been a bad life, and I certainly will have gotten a lot of joy from life that many gay men never get to have.

Maybe I need a good therapist, but I'd much rather take that money and spend it on a good Thai boy and get some joy and passion from this short life I get to live.

Pete

Dodger
July 16th, 2006, 08:16
aot87...

Forget Bangkok Air and purchase your tickets from One-To-Go Airlines for half the price.

They fly daily non-stop flights to Phuket from the Utapao Airpot (45 minute drive from PTY), and they are direct, so no wasted time on stop overs in Samui.

There's only one travel agent in Pattaya who handles OTG tickets, and they are located on Soi 7 - between Beach and Second Roads.

You can purchase ground transport from Mim at NS Travel Sunee Plaza for 250 baht, via air conditioned mini bus. The bus will pick you up at your hotel at the time requested - with no hassle.

Finding the travel agent is a little tricky because they are located on a sub-soi off of Soi 7 and it's easy to miss. You should call them first and have them guide you to there place.

Here's the link to One-To-Go:

https://www.fly12go.com/b2c/en_index.php

Enjoy your trip!

Davey612
July 16th, 2006, 08:55
aot87...

Forget Bangkok Air and purchase your tickets from One-To-Go Airlines for half the price.

They fly daily non-stop flights to Phuket from the Utapao Airpot (45 minute drive from PTY), and they are direct, so no wasted time on stop overs in Samui.

Bangkok Air has also a nonstop between Utapao and Phuket. I would rather fly Bangkok Air. That is just my opinion. One-To-Go's parent company is Orient Thai. Check the passengers' comments on Orient Thai: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/orient_thai.htm

July 16th, 2006, 09:06
""Because nobody wants to hear about a father fucking his son (or grandson).""

I love having discussions about incest and had the most revealing one just the other day with a noted scientist from Teneesee who regailed me with all sorts of tales about the prominence of incest in the Southern US states. He told me of a fascinating story of a 72 year old twin in Alabama who recently killed his brother for some inexplicable reason and the police discovered they had slept in the same bed for their entire lives !!

But what has this subject got to do with the Athenian desire of Farangs to nutiure younger Asian lads ?

Dare I quote Plato :

"two males or two females are quite satisfied to live their lives with one another unmarried." "Lovers of love, always rejoicing in their own kind. When a person meets the half that is his very own, whatever his orientation, then something wonderful happens: the two are struck from their senses by love, by a sense of belonging to one another, and by desire, and they don't want to be separated from one another, not even for a minute."

There it all is, great philospophocal beauty happening in our very own Thailand..or as in Joe M's case..in 727 with the whole of Plato's joy revealed with his description of a horrid in-flight meal.

July 16th, 2006, 09:23
And we might remember that not to have a child, or not to have a functioning father, is, perhaps, not to have the fullest of livesSo all us childless pooftahs are less than human, are we?

July 16th, 2006, 15:05
I have checked on one-to-go webb page and no mention of pattaya to phuket

Dodger
July 16th, 2006, 17:11
aot87...

Their website has apparently not been updated. They started their service Utapao-Phuket a year ago.

I found OTG to be a very good airline with friendly and responsive staff. I spent about 30% less than the other airlines offered and didn't have to go to Bangkok to catch the plane which is what I was looking for.

I took OTG based on positive feedback I received from two different groups of farangs who used to Utapao/Phuket service, and would use them again.

If you're going to be in Pattaya, you may want to wait to book your flight until you have a chance to talk to a few travel agents. My decision to fly OTG to Phuket was made at the last minute, and a day later I was in the air.

Good luck!

July 17th, 2006, 11:26
I think you will find Edith posted about Phuket's beach under the topic heading 'Two resorts'. You are not going mad, or at least not as mad as you thought.

As for the flights, I wasn't aware anyone flew from Utapo to Phuket other than Bangkok Air, which I always thought overcharged, now there is competition I am glad and if I have cause to travel in either direction again I will take the alternative. Last time I experienced a four hour delay at Utapo with Bangkok air, which possibly has the least ''to do' or to entertain oneself of any airport I know - in the 4 hours I was there, there was only one aircraft landing - not good for plane spotters!