PDA

View Full Version : Another angry rant! (don't read latintop)

joe552
September 23rd, 2017, 15:25
I sometimes go down to my local train station for an early morning pint (sad I know). Actually it's the main station for trains to the south and west of Ireland. Anyway, I was asked for my ticket this morning. First time ever. So I went and bought a cheap ticket to wherever, but that wasn't enough for the barman. Apparently, it has to be an intercity ticket! Now, I think you're all up to date on my sad pathetic life.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 23rd, 2017, 17:59
The nanny state aspect in regards to drink seems to be creeping ever larger in Ireland (as in Thailand,actually).

The whole nonsense of the times when you can buy a bottle of wine in a supermarket is another absurdity. (for our foreign readers, you cannot buy a bottle of wine in the ROI before 12.30 on a Sunday, despite the fact that they seem to manage be cope with being able to buy it across the border in NI on a Sunday morning without everyone becoming raving alcoholics). The annoying thing is, it has no effect on alcoholism, as the alcoholics will make sure to be well stocked up. It just catches out people who forgot to keep wine in, and suddenly realise on Sunday morning as they are preparing Sunday lunch for friends that they dont have anything to go with it.

joe552
September 23rd, 2017, 20:15
Well said, Ronan. I hate Sundays. I used to work in hotels, and at Christmas, guests just couldn't understand that everything virtually shuts down on Christmas Day can't even go out for dinner, never mind a few pints.

scottish-guy
September 23rd, 2017, 20:51
..you cannot buy a bottle of wine in the ROI before 12.30 on a Sunday, despite the fact that they seem to manage be cope with being able to buy it across the border in NI on a Sunday morning without everyone becoming raving alcoholics...

You obviously haven't met enough N Irish people

:D

Nirish guy
September 24th, 2017, 01:00
You obviously haven't met enough N Irish people:D

Funnily I was just thinking exactly the same thing when I read that !

Anyway of COURSE we need to sell wine earlier as how else would the people coming out of church on a Sunday get their wine for dinner - I mean hell if a flagon or two of wine was good enough for good old J.C himself then who are we to judge !

joe552
September 24th, 2017, 01:36
Did you know that Catholics down here can now go to church on Saturday evening, and that counts as a Sunday mass? Don't know about Church of Ireland, the heathens probably still insist on having a service on a Sunday morning.

scottish-guy
September 24th, 2017, 01:58
I didn't know that - but then I've never understood so called "Gay Christians" who go along to an organisation which tells them they're vile perverts :D

I guess it's some kinda self-flagellation?

frequent
September 24th, 2017, 07:39
I didn't know that - but then I've never understood so called "Gay Christians" who go along to an organisation which tells them they're vile perverts :D

I guess it's some kinda self-flagellation?Not really - they want to conform to the mainstream paradigm - like gay people who want to "marry" - sheer conformism and moral cowardice in the face of heteronormative values

joe552
September 25th, 2017, 23:40
heteronormative

"Heteronormative" - now that's a word you don't read every day!

a447
September 26th, 2017, 08:58
Come and visit us in Australia - you'll hear it every fucking day.

We are going through the "marriage equality" debate at the moment.

joe552
September 26th, 2017, 12:11
We had our debate 2 years ago. Ireland became the first country to allow same-sex marriage by popular referendum (rather than just a vote in parliament). So I could legally have a "husband" if I wanted. But I don't. Wouldn't mind a shag, though!

frequent
September 26th, 2017, 13:15
We had our debate 2 years ago. Ireland became the first country to allow same-sex marriage by popular referendum (rather than just a vote in parliament). So I could legally have a "husband" if I wanted. But I don't. Wouldn't mind a shag, though!I find it appalling, Joe, that you don't even understand the mechanics of your own government. The Irish had to hold a referendum because allowing same-sex people to marry meant changing the Irish Constitution. A vote in parliament could not have made that change

joe552
September 26th, 2017, 14:06
I understand how my country works very well, thank you. I know it was necessary to have a referendum to change the Constitution. All I was saying was that Ireland was the first country to introduce same-sex marriage by popular vote, not just an act of parliament.

frequent
September 26th, 2017, 14:44
All I was saying was that Ireland was the first country to introduce same-sex marriage by popular vote, not just an act of parliament.Ireland had no choice about changing the Constitution by referendum so that point is irrelevant. It's somewhat like boasting that while driving one day you stayed completely within the speed limit without mentioning that there was a marked Garda car immediately behind you all the way

joe552
September 26th, 2017, 15:24
Sorry, frequent, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me about? I simply said Ireland was the first to allow same-sex marriage by popular vote. Yes, it involved changing our Constitution. I'm obviously missing your point, sorry (I got up way too early this morning)

frequent
September 26th, 2017, 15:34
Sorry, frequent, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me about? I simply said Ireland was the first to allow same-sex marriage by popular vote. By implication that was a superior course of action than using a parliamentary vote - with which you contrast it. Using a parliamentary vote was not an option; you had to have a popular vote, so claiming some sort of "we were the first, aren't we so special" just doesn't cut it

joe552
September 26th, 2017, 15:55
Oh, ok, now I understand your point. I don't think I was trying to imply that Ireland was some kind of haven for gay men - it certainly isn't, in many ways. I thought I was just stating a fact.

But, I take your point. Not much to be proud of, really.

Mickp
September 28th, 2017, 05:10
If you live near a major train station then theres hook ups on grindr in that area

I suggest instead of spending money on grog you go to the gym ,and i cannot understand unless you are getting a dscount on your beer how the barman can ask for your train tcket?

Your a sad case , do try to keep up and find a job before you end up in a big council estate in a small flat

scottish-guy
September 28th, 2017, 14:30
.. i cannot understand unless you are getting a discount on your beer how the barman can ask for your train ticket?

Presumably because (due to licensing laws), at that time of day only bona-fide travellers can be served alcohol?

Used to have a similar legal situation in Scotland, decades ago. People who wanted a drink at a certain time on a certain day would go to a hotel bar to get round it.

Mickp
September 28th, 2017, 15:22

I would vote NO just like u are telling everyone your doing

joe552
September 28th, 2017, 15:36
As far as I know, the licensing laws here allow station bars to serve alcohol to "bona fide" (sounds like Kenneth Williams!) travellers, so a ticket must be produced. I was simply saying that I've had early drinks in that bar and never been asked to produce a train ticket.

I used to run a greengrocer's shop and would be in the market every morning at 6. There were (and still are) a few bars which open around that time, to serve the farmers bringing in their produce, and sometimes, people like myself. A pint after a couple of hours looking for perfectly straight courgettes deserved a pint in my mind. Then back to the shop and a 10 hour day. Ah, bliss!

The "early houses" are also popular with party goers, wishing to prolong their fun.

latintopxxx
October 1st, 2017, 06:40
no wonder ireland has always lagged behind the rest of the developed world...bit like poland.....only sober occasionally

scottish-guy
October 1st, 2017, 18:30
There are "fishing ports" in the north of England which haven't landed much more than a sprat in the last 30yrs and which also retain early licenses to cater for the (non-existent) "workers"

I also used to travel by train to Carlisle on business and the train would arrive at 7.45am but the premises I was using did not open till 9. The next train arrived into Carlisle too late.

I was therefore in the habit of getting off the train, walking to a certain pub chain which opened at 8 to serve breakfast which I would then consume at my leisure.

Point is - there was always a queue outside the pub waiting on it to open - and out of say 10-12 people in the queue I was the only one eating!

Smiles
October 4th, 2017, 05:40
Still?!?!
A bit late aren't we?
I'd always had it in the back of my head that Australia was, in general, somewhat progressive.

Yraen
October 4th, 2017, 05:51
By implication that was a superior course of action than using a parliamentary vote - with which you contrast it.

Frequent, I think you are "stretching the longbow" here. I have read and re-read Joe's statements, as I have yours, and I do not see anything that is an "implication". I suggest you are reading your ideas into Joe comments just to be argumentative.

arsenal
October 4th, 2017, 07:59
Freakybum being argumentative. Hard to believe.

frequent
October 4th, 2017, 10:47
"Heteronormative" - now that's a word you don't read every day!Yet you are the person who recently stated to Matt that there's no-one on this Forum opposed to gay marriage

frequent
October 4th, 2017, 10:48
Frequent, I think you are "stretching the longbow" here. I have read and re-read Joe's statements, as I have yours, and I do not see anything that is an "implication". I suggest you are reading your ideas into Joe comments just to be argumentative.Sadly I am not responsible for your inability to comprehend

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 11:46
frequent, I said that Ireland was the first country to approve same sex marriage by a popular vote. Am I wrong? The fact that we had to have a referendum to change the constitution doesn't negate that.

frequent
October 4th, 2017, 12:05
frequent, I said that Ireland was the first country to approve same sex marriage by a popular vote. Am I wrong? The fact that we had to have a referendum to change the constitution doesn't negate that.Read my previous response to you on this and stop wasting my time

joe552
October 4th, 2017, 12:31
So fuck off, and stop reading my responses.

frequent
October 4th, 2017, 17:11
So fuck off, and stop reading my responses.Let me put it so simply that an Irishman or even an Australian should be able to understand it

If someone says "When I fly to Thailand I go to an airport", which is the extra bit, utterly irrelevant, you don't have an option? It is "I go to an airport"

If you say "When Ireland changed its constitution to allow gay marriage we had a popular vote", which is the extra bit, utterly irrelevant, you don't have an option? It is "we had a popular vote". That is the most usual way constitutions get changed all over the world, and that is the only way the Irish Constitution can be changed. If you had been the first country to legalise gay marriage then I guess that's something you might feel you can boast about it. To say that "we were the first to legalise using the popular vote" is an empty boast. It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing" as Macbeth so eloquently puts it

joe552
October 5th, 2017, 00:57
Now you've hurt my feelings. I'm sitting here, all alone, and think I might just cry after that last post.

Whether, constitutionally, we had a choice or not, my statement that Ireland was the first country to introduce same-sex marriage after a popular vote remains correct. Now I refer you to a post I made a short time ago.

Nirish guy
October 5th, 2017, 01:03
Dont worry Joe the rest of us get what you mean ....... i.e it was a popular vote - meaning the people didn't HAVE to say yes but they did, they could have voted No and then equal marriage simply wouldn't have happened there.....all fairly simple really - and yes Frequent whilst you're not wrong in of COURSE that's how it had to be done re the Constitution etc, the point is that that vote DID somehow feel like it meant more than just a small amount of politicians voting how their party told them too - in that it felt like for once the people actually cast their vote and something changed, thats the point. So did that feel a better win to gay people in Ireland when the vote passed - you're damned right it did.

As to whether I agree that equal marriage is something that should be a topic to be voted on in the first place i.e. I'm not sure I'm happy about others being allowed or asked to "vote" as to whether or not they allow me something that should be my basic right in the first place anyway, well that is a WHOLE other topic I guess.

joe552
October 5th, 2017, 01:59
Thanks for your response, NIrish.

Yraen
October 6th, 2017, 05:44
Sadly I am not responsible for your inability to comprehend

On the contrary, I do comprehend - only too well.
You are an argumentative, crotchety old git with a single-celled encephlon that cannot stand anyone having an opinion that differs from yours
If you believe that Joe (or I) are wasting your time, then take your elongated nose out of this thread - you are not contributing constructively to the conversation.