PDA

View Full Version : ...any decent pizza places in Bangkok or Pattaya?

donald1
July 15th, 2006, 06:10
Wondering if there are any edible (american style) pizza joints in Thailand. Been there many times but don't ever remember seeing one.

Thanks...

TOQ
July 15th, 2006, 06:20
I enjoy the little pizza place next to Krazy Dragon in Pattaya..(Sunee Plaza) The regular Margarita pizza is very good and only 200B if I recall right...

Sit outside and watch all the foot traffic go by :))

john

adman5000
July 15th, 2006, 08:58
My favorite pizza in Bangkok is Scoozi on Suriwong.

jvt22222
July 15th, 2006, 09:30
I really like the pizza at the Italian place inside Jomtien Complex ... used to be on the soi which hosts Dick's Cafe and others .......... now on the interior corner of the Complex. The Thai owner and her Italian husband just returned from their annual month in Italy where she gets all sorts of ingredients and new recipes. Give it a try.

July 15th, 2006, 09:43
Although I realize many people consider pizza to be a gourmet gastronomic delight, I tend to think of it as glorified "junk food" so am perfectly happy to sit at Pizza Company and have a medium pan pizza with double pepperoni and double cheese. When I go to an Italian restaurant, the last thing I would order is pizza.

Granted, I'm the same guy who, after living in Japan for 10 years, still can't enjoy going to a sushi restaurant for dinner --- just like I consider pizza to be junk food, I consider sushi to be an appetizer, not an entire meal in and of itself.

<added after re-reading Donald1's original post> If it's "(american style) pizza joints" you're looking for, maybe Pizza Company is what you'd like? Just don't go for some of the more exotic toppings, and stick to toppings you would put on a pizza in America. My double pepperoni/cheese pizza in Pizza Company is comparable to same-same at Pizza Hut in America.

July 15th, 2006, 10:46
Although not American style I too give 2 thumbs up to Scoozi. Some of the best pizza I have had. Period.

Brad the Impala
July 15th, 2006, 12:19
Great Pizzas from Pizzanotti, takeaway/home delivery and located beside, and run by, Zannottis, in Saladaeng.

TrongpaiExpat
July 15th, 2006, 12:46
You need to define what is "American style" The Pizza in NYC is not the same as you get in say Ohio. Pizza hut is not NYC style but there are Pizza huts in NYC.

There are varients of pizza all over BKK, look, smell and taste and maybe you will hit on one you like.

I once met these two NYC guys that opened a real NYC pizza joint in Amsterdam. They said you can not get "good pie" in Holland and they though the Dutch would go crazy over the real thing. They went broke in less than 6 months.

July 15th, 2006, 13:00
You need to define what is "American style" The Pizza in NYC is not the same as you get in say Ohio. Pizza hut is not NYC style but there are Pizza huts in NYC.

There are varients of pizza all over BKK, look, smell and taste and maybe you will hit on one you like.

I once met these two NYC guys that opened a real NYC pizza joint in Amsterdam. They said you can not get "good pie" in Holland and they though the Dutch would go crazy over the real thing. They went broke in less than 6 months.
That doesn't mean they had bad pizza or the Dutch wouldn't have loved it. If they went broke in 6 months, they didn't have enough money to properly start a business.

July 15th, 2006, 15:14
I think the Italian style pizzas at La Mole (formerly Dulios) near Foodland are rather decent for Thailand standards. They have some fancy toppings on offer like smoked salmon, porcini mushrooms, and gorgonzola cheese. And the crust is pleasant. Also, they have pizzas available for their lunch special price if you fancy a pizza for lunch.

Can anyone read Italian?

http://www.sawadee.it/viewtopic.php?t=3 ... sc&start=0 (http://www.sawadee.it/viewtopic.php?t=3108&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

July 15th, 2006, 16:21
Wondering if there are any edible (american style) pizza joints in Thailand.

In my opinion; NO.

If the place next to Crazy Dragon is the one called, Chaplin's, it's the second worst I've had in the world. Worst was in London--A toss-up between a place in Bloomsbury & one in Covent Garden. Maybe that's why Brits are so fond of the joint next to Crazy Dragon--Nostalgia: it reminds them of the lousy pizza back home--or maybe it's neuralgia: hurt's too much to move to someplace good.
So far as, aforementioned, Pizza Hut: all the chain Pizza Peddlers all over the world are barfious but, in some countries (The same chain) is often worse than in another country: there is no uniform level of barfiousness.
If you like ferns, Yupps and high prices with your barfiness, try California Pizza. You'll love it! I think there was one in Pattaya but It looked to be just a rip-off of the name: no ferns--But the barfiness was there.

I've given up hope of finding good pizza in Pattaya; first, and most usual, problem is sweet, usually wattery, sauce; crust often like those...water-crackers?...queens serve at partys and wouldn't touch otherwise. I think they must use Thai sausage instead of Italian--I know, that's too much to expect. Fortunately; I love Thai food and can wait until I return home for Guiseppi's (Not a chain) real home-made pizza. As good as my ho-made.
Pan-Pan was okay last time I ate there but nothing to rave about. The place on the other side of the road, if it's still there, (Between Pan-Pan and the elevated highway.) with a sandwich board out front that says: "SPAGHETTI" and the price...I think was, '80 baht'...is, in my opinion, better but don't mind me, the only way to find out if you like it is put down your money and take your chances.
Suggestion. Hedge: go with 3 like-minded friends (If you can find 3), order 4 different things and share: your own 'sampling menu.'
As; "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," (food) taste is a similar proposition. A friend thought her mother made 'the best spaghetti in the whole wide world.'
I told her Mama what she said; when she finished laughing, she gave me her recipe: Open an 8 oz. can of plain tomato sauce, add a little (Mary Hartman) salt and pepper & heat it while you cook a small box of spaghetti according to directions on the box and cut some Velveta cheese into small cubes. When the spaghetti's done; drain it and dump it on a platter, artistically dump on the sauce, sprinkle the Velveta elegantly over the top and..."Viola!" she would shout. (My friend's name was Viola.)

Sorry if I sound a tad testy. Where I am the humidity and heat are both 5 degrees more than Bangkok. No, the name of the place doesn't start with an H--But it feels like it.

And, Viola!, it's here! HAPPY BASTILLE DAY! Let's all celebrate the French way! 'No good French restaurants in Pattaya,' you say? Mai phen rai; just do a little French!

July 15th, 2006, 16:26
I once craved pizza and popped into the Pizza Hut in the basement of the Silom Centre.

Disappointingly, they do not have anchovies (an essential topping for me) - the manager was called - he'd never heard of the stuff.

BTW, be warned if treating a lad to a pizza - some guys' systems cannot handle the cheese: Universal Rule No. 18: A boy with a belly-ache is no fun.

piston10
July 15th, 2006, 17:07
As a picky Brit, and an avowed food snob, I have difficulties with North American food - to me it lacks savour, I dislike its textures and the quantities it is served in appall me. So, at the risk of hijacking the thread, I am only addressing anyone who's looking for an Italian pizza in Bangkok. Rare, it seems to me after a lot of searching. However, to those who have the same tastes as me (about 1% of SWF members, I imagine), I suggest the Italian restaurant at the entrance to Sukhumvit Plaza (same building as B & N Massage - Asok, walk towards Nana past the Sheraton and the Times Square Building). It has decking and tables on Sukhumvit.

Their pizza has a thin, crisp base, the 'toppings' (dread word) are very much in line with what you might expect in Italy, and you don't feel bloated when you have eaten it. If you are still hungry, they do a number of fresh-made pasta dishes that would not disgrace a restaurant in Tuscany itself. (I have asked twice about the chef. The first time I was told he was an Italian who had been there 17 years, the second that he was a Thai who had trained in Italy; so, no information there!)

One warning: take your own sanuk with you. The waiters are attractive and efficient, but they seem to to have been trained to be, oh, so professionally glum. If you happen to be the only customer, the silence is Trappist.

July 15th, 2006, 17:20
As a picky Brit, and an avowed food snob, I have difficulties with North American food - to me it lacks savour, I dislike its textures and the quantities it is served in appall me.

Rather an amazing statement considering the vast multi-cultural variety found in North American cuisine. Next time you visit, PM me for a list of restaurants even your palate will like. This invitation is from another food and wine snob.

piston10
July 15th, 2006, 17:24
Thaiquila, the Italian thread you posted is long and wandering and seems to have built up over a number of years. Some of the posts are greetings to the owner, who always seems to reply cheerfully. There are a number of differing opinions about the restaurant, as you would expect, and some discussion of its change of name to La Mole. Most of the comments are reasonably complimentary, but sometimes there are words of advice about about improvements that could be made - serve the parmesan cheese separately, don't put it on the pasta in the kitchen, etc. Generally, the sort of thing you'd expect, and I don't see much that is really worth translation.

July 15th, 2006, 23:38
As a picky Brit, and an avowed food snob, I have difficulties with North American food - to me it lacks savour, I dislike its textures and the quantities it is served in appall me.

Rather an amazing statement considering the vast multi-cultural variety found in North American cuisine. Next time you visit, PM me for a list of restaurants even your palate will like. This invitation is from another food and wine snob.
Yes, that is ridiculous. San Francisco and New York are some of the top food cities in the world. What do you mean by "North American" cuisine? An American would never use that term. Rather, they would be much more specific, such as Tex Mex cuisine in America, or Southern cuisine in America, etc. etc. ad nauseum ...

As a Brit whose food has been mocked the world over for centuries, you should be sensitive to inane stereotypes.

Smiles
July 16th, 2006, 00:01
This thread from a few months ago gives lots of ideas for Italian food (in Bangkok), which also means 'pizza available': http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... alian+food (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7285&highlight=italian+food)

We tried La Buca (Sukhumvit Rd Soi 1), and although my guy ate upscale Italian (a fish dish), I had an uncontrollable craving for pizza that night ... and was not disappointed.

La Buca is owned an operated by an older gentleman who also had a restaurant in Italy before moving to Thailand (one step ahead of the Mafia, or Polizia, or both?), so I assumed his pizza was traditional Italian style (never having eaten pizza in Italy, I wouldn''t know for sure). Whatever the case, it was terrific.

Cheers ...

piston10
July 16th, 2006, 04:51
I didn't attack North American food, just said it didn't appeal to me because I found it.... A purely personal statement, as all statements about taste in food are, as a preliminary to stating, for anyone interested in knowing, where I had found in Bangkok a pizza I enjoyed. Anyway, I said I was picky (my best friends tell me that) and a snob. Now, what could be more modest or self-deprecatory than that as an opening?

Actually, of course, I have eaten food I liked across the water, but it hasn't been burgers, American pizza, TexMex, etc., which seem to be accepted American food styles. In Canada I ate extremely well, though not cheaply, unfortunately, in the French restaurants of Quebec, the Old Quarter of Montreal, and some of the ethnic restaurants of Toronto. Concurrently, I tried the more modest places, but usually ended up chomping and chewing and nearly gagging as I tried to make some impression on a plate of food that had little taste at all as far as I could judge. (OK, I'm attacking North American food now!) Sometimes the only flavour was that ubiquitous salad dressing (or are there two salad dressings?) without which a meal seems not to be complete. And, my dear, the cheese situation! And the quantities!

Yes, I'm as narrow-minded about food as any of those poor Thai boys who have to go through the hell of eating at up-market Western eateries in LOS.

July 16th, 2006, 05:09
So you don't like cheap Anglo-Canadian food. Emphasis on the ANGLO. And you are correct, the French food in Montreal is superb. But so are the smoked meat (corned beef) deli sandwiches and bagels.

Frankly, anyone who says they don't like American food either hasn't tried the best of it or doesn't like food.
And burgers are basically a fast food option, certainly usually not fine cuisine (although there are such things as gourmet hamburgers).

BTW: In the US, people don't say American pizza or Italian pizza, they just say good pizza or bad pizza (subjective opinions of course).

http://www.atlantacuisine.com/NewFiles/traditionsPizza250.jpg

BTW: I suggest you treat yourself to a trip to San Francisco. Eat at many of these restaurants and I bet you would be singing a different tune:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... _alpha.DTL (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/02/CMTOP100_alpha.DTL)

You can say America's president SUCKS, you can say our health care system SUCKS, you can say we are FAT, you can say we are warmongers, you can say we aren't the brightest, you can say we are superficial, you can say we have a messed up transportation system, but do not say we don't have some of the best food and restaurants in the world.

Signed, proud American "foodie"

Mi Cow Chai-old
July 16th, 2006, 09:23
As one use to American Pizza,I really like the pizza at Pan Pan on the way to Jomtien Beach.

July 16th, 2006, 09:29
Rather an amazing statement considering the vast multi-cultural variety found in North American cuisineI'm not sure what it is Americans do to their meat to make it so tender, but I prefer more of a chew than I usually get in an American restaurant. And some Thai restaurants I've eaten in there have to be among the worst on the planet. I've never been quite convinced that variety = quality - as any visit to a go-go bar (in a different context) should confirm

July 16th, 2006, 09:31
If you are talking about beef specifically, I prefer Argentinian.