PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming visit?

joe552
September 7th, 2017, 12:20
Hi again guys. Thanks for all the responses to my earlier thread about finding my old squeeze in Sisaket or wherever he is. For health reasons, I'm considering going to Pattaya in January or February of 2018 - probably my last visit (no, I'm not about to kick the bucket!), I wondered what your preferred airline is flying from western Europe? In the past, I've flown both Etihad and Emirates, with a stop in Abu Dhabi or Dubai - which I like - the break gives me a chance to have a cigarette and a walk around. Which would be your preferred option and are there any others I might consider? Budget is a big factor at this stage.

Also, the last few trips I've stayed in Mosaik, and been very happy with it. Is there somewhere new I might think about? I usually allow about 1,000Bt a night (can that be right? haven't converted from a long time). I like to be close to Sunee or Boystown (sorry, Jomtien is for day trips only), but my impression from reading the board is that Sunee is quieter than ever. I know my favourite bar, All of Me, has closed, and I'll certainly visit again, but would it be better to base myself near to Boystown?

Thanks for any latest information.

Joe

scottish-guy
September 7th, 2017, 13:40
For price and service quality from Europe to Asia, it's hard to look past the Arab carriers like Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar.

What I find though is that their prices fluctuate wildly and you just can't predict which of the 3 will be cheapest or dearest by up to 300 quid.

I'm just back from Vietnam and on this occasion I flew with Qatar from EDI as the price was almost 300 pounds less than Emirates from GLA. Qatar is a Skytrax 5 Star airline and also Airline of the Year 2017 - but I think they must have got those awards the same way they got the World Cup! Nothing wrong with them but nothing different from the others.

One thing though - I found on the Saigon-Doha route they used an A330 which (and I've never seen this before on any aircraft) had no ventilation outlets above your head. The cabin temperature seemed to be about 30C and I was extremely uncomfortable for 7 hours. Purely because of that I'd check which aircraft they use before booking again. The other leg was on on a Dreamliner and that was fine.

All in all my order of preference would be Emirates, Etihad, then Qatar - with price most likely dictating the choice.

I don't use Skyscanner or any of those sites (initially) - I recommend this site which lists more flights than any other, will allow you to compare prices from numerous departure airports, and has a multiplicity of options and filters:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Note: It quotes published fares and once I find my preferred flight I then go to the likes of Skyscanner or Kayak where you will often find a 20/30 pound reduction between individual travel agents.

Good luck!!

scottish-guy
September 7th, 2017, 14:14
Oh I meant to say (edit timed out) be aware that Emirates lowest fares inevitably have long layovers in Dubai (not the usual 2 hours - more like 6 or 8 hours), don't allow you to choose a seat after booking unless you pay 4x seat assignment fees of about 20 quid a shot, and have a much reduced luggage allowance.

What starts off as an attractive looking price with Emirates can look distinctly onerous once you look into it. I think Michael O'Leary is working for them on the side.

Oliver
September 7th, 2017, 14:47
If you want a direct flight, try EVA. I've used it for twenty plus years and prefer it to BA and Thai. A number of pluses....cost, arrival/departure times; reliability (eighty two-way trips and only one delay of more than two hours.)
The Premium Economy is worth it if you can afford the extra

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2017, 14:57
Hi joe, nice to "see" you again.

I would concur with both of the above re Emirates and Eva, but recently I've found Emirates to be fine, cheap prices, good flights and there is a 2 hour lay over option for Dublin to Dubai ( I think it was) which works just great.

Re accommodation I still go tye mosaic route myself as imro be it's bang central to everything as it's only a 5 minute stroll to boystown or Sunee and handy too if you DO want to try Jomtien ( which is a lot more busy at night now than it used to be and is worth a wee scoot past of an evening just to see the craic there too perhaps.

Glad to hear you're heading back and that not croaking it "just yet" like the rest of us :-)

scottish-guy
September 7th, 2017, 15:09
Hi NIrish - yes, over the years I've found Emirates to be fine also, but over the last year or so they have definitely downgraded the very cheapest fares.

There are now 4 classes of Economy ticket: Special (lowest), Saver, Flex, and Flex Plus (highest)

If you want the 2 hour layover in Dubai rather than 6 or 8 hours then my experience is that you won't get it for their lowest fare, you'll have to move up in price to the next tier. Neither will you get the 30Kg luggage allowance, a choice of seat before check-in, or the full Skywards miles award.

Having said that, I'm looking at a scenario from GLA where there are 2 Emirates flights a day - maybe if there's only a single flight per day from DUB it might just work out nicely for Joe. If you don't care where you sit (I do) or don't carry over 20Kg luggage (I do) and are smart enough to realise that the Skywards programme is essentially worthless to anybody not flying Business or First these days, then the other conditions on their lowest fares won't bother you.

All I'm saying is watch the small print.

I've used EVA as well but as they fly from London I have to factor in the extra time and cost getting there. Plus from memory there is difficulty getting back from LHR on the return, with I think only one available flight back to GLA

joe552
September 7th, 2017, 15:30
My, aren't we all up early this morning! Thanks for the replies

Oliver, thanks. I've flown Eva premium economy once before from Heathrow. I'd quit drinking and decided to treat myself (honestly, it's true). While I like the airline, I hate Heathrow (and CDG!) Since there are now 3 mid-east airlines flying from Dublin, that's my preferred option.

SG and NIrish, thanks again. I'll give Mosaik a go, as I really like it's locations, and it's rooms with a balcony are great for me, as I don't sleep well and like to have a smoke and a beer at 4 in the morning (oh come on, it's Pattaya!)

joe552
September 7th, 2017, 15:37
Btw (is that a word now?) I'm back in touch with the guy I spent most of my time with on my last holiday. Now working in a massage parlour and training to be a massage teacher. Moved on from the internet cafe where he used to work. Upwardly mobile?

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2017, 15:40
Smoke or Smaoke :)

And yes SG you're right re all those 'drawbacks" but after making those mistakes over the years I've now got it off to a fine are of not giving a shit about all that other stuff ( which the exception of the seat choice) and I DO make sure I bring under 20kgs ( which considering there are two laundry women right downstairs from Mosiak is just fine should I need it). Also I was finding that if I travelled on elsewhere I was then getting royally screwed by each of those airlines too for luggage costs - so now I'm a 20kilos and under guy and don't miss the bulk I used to carry ( ahh if only I could say that for my waistline !) in fact I'm off on Saturday to tour Italy for 10 days and my partner and I are both just taking carry on HAND luggage only so THAT should be "interesting" - although I'm actually in the middle of packing right now and it's just surprising what you can fit in a hand luggage case these days when you pack correctly by rolling stuff up etc - as for my make up bag and evening dresses, well, I've just NO idea HOW I'm going to manage getting THAT all in and still be under the 20kgs !

All the other stuff about that loyalty programme etc generally you're right however I have had a few updgrades to business and I also "bought" a nice watch from the Emirates online store a few months back using miles as I'd a load lying there that were about to expire so just used then up that way/ So whilst I find those programmes a pain in the ass can do "pay out" a bit if used correctly.

My only annoyance is that if you book say Dublin to Bkk - yes you get the upgrade on the way out but ONLY on the first leg i.e Dublin to Dubai and my view is FUCK OFF my ticket says Dublin to BANGKOK you cheating fucks NOT only to Dubai ! But that's just me perhaps :)

joe552
September 7th, 2017, 15:56
I had an upgrade to business with Etihad a few years ago and as NIrish says, it was only the first leg to Abu Dhabi. I enjoyed it, but surprisingly, we arrived at the same time as the economy passengers! Wouldn't pay for it even if I had the money (which I don't, I hasten to add!)

Ah guys, it's great to be back!

scottish-guy
September 7th, 2017, 15:57
Yes I had one upgrade with Skywards points (BKK-DXB) and it was great - but now the miles awarded are like 25% of what you used to get and I find the chances of getting anything worthwhile are poor, so I tend to be an airline "butterfly" now.

Incidentally, I fly Ryanair very seldom but as I was in need of a new Cabin case last year and as I know they're utter cunts about luggage, I thought I'd check out the dimensions allowed across airlines and I ended up buying an American Tourister Bon Air case as recommended (and sold) by Ryanair. "Great" I thought - I'm all set for any eventuality.

Then yesterday, Ryanair banned wheeled cases from the cabin altogether!!

You just can't fucking win!

:D

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2017, 16:19
Not quite SG, you'll still be able to take your wheeled bag on in November when the changes kick in but only if you pay for speedy boarding - actually whilst I hate doing it I have to agree with Ryanair here - they tried to be decent and allow people to take two bags on with them, your main wheelie and a small shoulder bag type thing and people just continually took the piss ! Evan I was totally SICK and tired of getting on my flight only to find no locker space because some greedy cunt had insisted on bringing an oversized wheelie case AND a LARGE canvas type rugby kit bag and then insisted on trying to shove everything over their heads into a locker. Hence both possibly delaying boarding and thus delaying take off but also more importantly stopping the likes of me getting ANY bag on. It got so bad of late that they were literally going down the line at check in now and just taking your wheelie cases off you straight away in you weren't in the first 40 / 50 passengers anyway, so all this new rule is doing is now stopping those greedy stupid cunts BUT is also unfortunately penalising the people who did play by the rules.

Also to be fair to them Ryanair they DID announce at least twice in the last year that if people didn't quit they were going to have to do this and it IS a genuine issue and not one of their making but one caused by lazy, greedy, stupid, selfish people who continually took the piss out of both the airline and us other passengers - the number of times even recently I've nearly come to blows with some cunt taking half their worldly goods onboard with them and them trying to force them into a locker was just getting ridiculous - actually last Friday just was the last time and MY ONE properly sized bag was off loaded to the hold ( delaying me by 15 minutes at the other end) because of one such cunt.

Also again to be fair to Ryanair their accepted bags size even before this was one of the better allowances out there believe it or not, try flying flybe - not only is their quote size ridiculous but the LITERAL size that their lockers hold now fits about a brief case and not much else - but again you see the same people trying to squeeze half a teams rugby kit in there and then wondering why it won't go and holding up the rest of the boarding whilst they fuck about trying !

Grrrrrr as you can tell non regular flyers who take the piss and abuse the system hence holding everyone else up are on my list of people who are "getting it" when I come to power ! And don't even start me on women at the security check and their seemingly unlimited amounts of jewellery that they seem to amazingly forget they are wearing and have to go through the scanner about 8 times whilst the rest of us watch as they remove each piece one scan at the time !!! Grrrr come the revolution !!! They'll all pay I tell you THEY"LL ALL PAY !! - at least if they're flying Ryanair now for sure it seems !

But yes I do agree with you re the you can't win as it was Ryanair who told us all SOOOO many times that FUCK Hold bags - they never gave a shit if they never carried another hold bag again and "in the future" it would all be cabin bags and if people didn't like it they could fly with other airlines as they were going the cabin route as it was fastest and cheapest - and now we ARE all using cabin bags they're now asking us all to check into the hold again, which would be bad enough but are fucking charging us for the pleasure again - talk about coming full circle ffs !

arsenal
September 7th, 2017, 16:29
As NIrish is giving it large about everything I might as well chip in my twopennorthworth. Keep to your allotted space. I don't fucking care HOW fucking fat your insatiable greed has made you. Keep your entire body within the confines of the space you have paid for. If you don't I'm going to tell you once then loudly ask the steward to tell you that your touching is making me feel very uncomfortable. That'll do the trick.

Oliver
September 7th, 2017, 16:33
if you want a Dublin flight, your decision makes sense.....we Londoners sometimes forget that not everyone lives in the Greatest City in the World! I agree about LHR, though. The new terminal for EVA (2 rather than 3) is soul-less.

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2017, 16:48
if .we Londoners sometimes forget .

You SO do ! I travel a lot with my mate who lives 30 minutes from Gatwick and he continually pisses my off with his breezy "sure we'll just pop to X location, sure we'll be there in about two hours" - I then add on my time to airport, to for connection flight, time to re check in for next flight that I'm joining him on" and hey presto there's about 5 hours ( if I'm lucky) added to me day and he wonders why I'm as grouchy as shit when he suggests we catch they 9am flight from Gatwick (which could well mean a 4am start for me if I'm even lucky enough to get a connection and it doesn't mean an over night stay) - so yes, you guys DO forget you're lucky - and in fact I think all London based members should be asked to contribute to some sort of hardship fund to help the rest of us poor minions who have to struggle on in life without the benefits of being 30 seconds away from their nearest airport ! I'll send you my bank details Oliver, you can make a start with the donations perhaps :-)

newalaan2
September 7th, 2017, 17:22
Also, the last few trips I've stayed in Mosaik, and been very happy with it. Is there somewhere new I might think about? I usually allow about 1,000Bt a night (can that be right? haven't converted from a long time). I like to be close to Sunee or Boystown (sorry, Jomtien is for day trips only), but my impression from reading the board is that Sunee is quieter than ever. I know my favourite bar, All of Me, has closed, and I'll certainly visit again, but would it be better to base myself near to Boystown? Thanks for any latest information. Joe

Nice to see you're managing a trip back to Thailand Joe. Can't really help with the airline info as I use KLM and have done so for past 15 years on my Thai trips (use various other airlines for other destinations) and have racked up enough 'status' with them to have extras to make the trips a bit more comfortable and flexible, so never shop around.

But regarding Mosaik, I would just stick to staying there if I were you. I do have a few days at the start of a trip in Jomtien to chill-out and settle-in before heading off to Isan or wherever, but our main stay in Pattaya is always in South Pattaya and Mosaik is just so convenient for everything we do in the Pattaya leg of our Thai visit. Like you, I have considered a change, but if I get the specific room I prefer in Mosaik and compare that to elsewhere and land up not liking it in comparison it would be disappointing and really not worth the chance.

MFAS was blathering on recently about Mosaik 'showing signs of age' etc.. but personally I haven't noticed anything which has changed dramatically for the worse. With new mattresses and furniture in most rooms combined with the usual good standard of care little has changed. It's ideally placed for both Sunee and BT as you already know, and despite the doom and gloom about sunee (which has been ongoing for more than a decade) there are still enough decent bars and especially boys/staff to keep you entertained. During a trip while we do venture all over Pattaya, I visit Sunee nightly/evening at some point, even more than I visit BT. All of Me used to be a regular stop of mine too, but Diamond Bar and Euro Boys easily filled that gap for me.

FarangRuMak
September 7th, 2017, 23:23
I agree with the Nirish rant on passengers (MOSTLY women in my view and a few queens)loading every space except the cockpit with their shit.
O'Leary can be blunt and a bit rude but I have a soft spot for him nonetheless.
I'm old enough to remember his struggle against the European National airlines as they used every legal device to keep their outrageously expensive monopoly on air travel.
He did more than anyone else to make air travel available to the masses.
There was a time when a 2 hour flight from London to where ever would cost you 3 months wages.
O'Leary cut out all the mystique bull and used an aircraft like a no frills, commuter bus with wings.

scottish-guy
September 8th, 2017, 00:29
I think you've all rather missed the point that Ryanair was actually selling cabin luggage at over 100 Euros which they insisted was compliant with their regulations for carrying said products in the cabin

I'm not talking about people bringing onboard oversized cases or more baggage than permitted - there are ways to deal with that at check-in or at the gate (which if you read their reviews on Skytrax they are happy to enforce when it makes them extra money).

No, this is a case (pun intended) of them selling a product as compliant, then arbitrarily changing the rules for using it

gerefan2
September 8th, 2017, 00:53
so yes, you guys DO forget you're lucky - and in fact I think all London based members should be asked to contribute to some sort of hardship fund to help the rest of us poor minions who have to struggle on in life without the benefits of being 30 seconds away from their nearest airport ! :-)

Mate you couldn't be more wrong! Have you ever heard of the M25? London Underground, British Rail?
People go out of their way to avoid the hovel of Heathrow.Interlining passengers re-arrange their routes to avoid the place.
London is a mugs game...only the tourists like it...ah, where you from again?

Nirish guy
September 8th, 2017, 00:55
Tell me that again when my mate and I share the same flight home from Bkk and he's sitting at home with his feet up 30 mins from Gatwick and i'm still in the airport waiting for my next onward ( delayed) Belfast flight ( as happened my on my last trip). I was home about 6 hours after than he was ( or more) and at that point was cursing this fucking backwater.

Nirish guy
September 8th, 2017, 01:10
I think you've all rather missed the point that Ryanair was actually selling cabin luggage at over 100 Euros which they insisted was compliant with their regulations

SG I had posted that "well what can they do, rules change etc" BUT I've just deleted that post as after going to the Ryanair site I note (that exactly as you said) that they're STILL advertising and selling their cases with the wording below saying you're guaranteed to get your case on as cabin luggage so that's sure as hell to cause one hell of a row I would think once they try to stop someone using their newly bag come November. But hey being Ryanair they no doubt they've a large "fuck you if you don't like it you can just fuck off" clause written into their overall T&C's somewhere.

From their website today....
"the Ryanair approved cabin bag is available to purchase exclusively at Ryanair.com and is GUARANTEED* to be accepted as cabin baggage on all Ryanair Flights. *subject to weight limit of 10 kg Pick up your official Ryanair Guaranteed Cabin Bag here (https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/samsonite/buy-now)"

gerefan2
September 8th, 2017, 01:33
Tell me that again when my mate and I share the same flight home from Bkk and he's sitting at home with his feet up 30 mins from Gatwick and i'm still in the airport waiting for my next onward ( delayed) Belfast flight ( as happened my on my last trip). I was home about 6 hours after than he was ( or more) and at that point was cursing this fucking backwater.

Exactly, you should be cursing London (Gatwick) Airport ...London is not the haven you may think it is.

Nirish guy
September 8th, 2017, 02:47
Exactly, you should be cursing London (Gatwick) Airport ...London is not the haven you may think it is.

Dont worry having been there many times and having friends who live there I'm under no illusions, but still it is hadn't to be there when you fancy taking in a west end show etc etc

joe552
September 8th, 2017, 06:57
NIrish stop being so understated and tell us what you really think!

I flew to Tenerife in March with my sister (courtesy of a small legacy from my dear departed Mam). I paid Aer Lingus to check in a bag, as I hate dragging it around the airport (I know, first world problems). She didn't pay, but still had her bag put in the hold at check in. When we were coming; back, I went to check in my bag (for which I'd paid) and they offered to check in hers for free. How can you win with these guys?

joe552
September 8th, 2017, 07:01
Sorry, meant to include this in my previous post.

Newalaan2, thanks for your update on Mosaik. I've never had a problem there, so will use them if I do make it back.

DrewSpz
September 8th, 2017, 11:34
Scottish- do you do trip reports for Vietnam? I'm interested in going there next. Just wondering if you have any tips/ suggestions for Ho Chi Minh City. Is that the best place if I don't know anyone?

scottish-guy
September 8th, 2017, 12:51
Hi - I have LT BF in Vietnam and he makes sure I am kept well away from any kind of shenanigans whatsoever.

Consequently I have nothing useful to report other than I had a nice pizza in Takashima mall and can offer no suggestions about where to find cock.

:(

arsenal
September 8th, 2017, 16:42
I think the Jocks and the Micks should just be grateful that airlines even bother to go to those out of the way backwaters and not start complaining that they can't take bags of potatoes and deep fried haggis on in their hand luggage.

Nirish guy
September 8th, 2017, 16:49
That's nothing the fuckers have even stopped me taking on my 5 litres of holy water that I usually try to take on every trip with me just in case I feel like I need a wee prayer and bless myself session on the plane ! The heathen bastards - probably all Protestants - you can expect nothing less from those feckers !

pennyboy
September 8th, 2017, 17:39
I generally fly EVA premium economy from LHR. I don't live in London but there is a frequent National Express coach from where I live. I find EVA perfectly fine and as I like a direct flight the alternatives are BA who I refuse to fly and Thai who are expensive. I really don't mind Heathrow and unlike Oliver I'm not looking for "soul" in an airport but just an easy passage from check in to departure. Terminal 2 does this for me and is a big improvement on Terminla 3.

joe552
September 8th, 2017, 21:15
Arsenal, if it wasn't for all those potatoes, what would we make our runways from? I don't use holy water myself (prefer a nice cabernet sauvignon) but I understand NIrish's anger.

pennyboy, as I mentioned earlier, I really liked EVA Premium Economy. Maybe if you're just arriving at the terminal and checking in, it's ok. But transferring from T1 to another terminal, means miles of walking. Not for me.

scottish-guy
September 8th, 2017, 22:21
...they can't take bags of potatoes and deep fried haggis on in their hand luggage.

Au contraire (almost)!

I secreted two tins of haggis to Vietnam in my hold luggage, and courtesy of the local Satra Foods store in my condo block where I was able to purchase potatoes and something which resembled a turnip, and with BF's father chipping in with the remnants of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label, I was able to present BF and family with a passable Burns Supper!!

Andaman!
September 9th, 2017, 12:34
I secreted two tins of haggis to Vietnam in my hold luggage

............but real Scots don't eat TINNED haggis - we've found you out Scottie! I guess you are the type of Scot that wears a pair of bloomers under your kilt.

arsenal
September 9th, 2017, 12:54
Tinned haggis! Probably sold under the brand name Pedigree Chum. Haha.

bobsaigon2
September 9th, 2017, 13:42
Amazon offers several brands of tinned haggis, also blood and white puddings, and other "specialty" items. Is it just the Yanks who order these foods?
( I guarantee the Yanks won't be ordering the Vegemite or Marmite from Amazon. That's a taste that must be acquired during infancy. No offense. :)

scottish-guy
September 9th, 2017, 15:08
.. real Scots don't eat TINNED haggis - we've found you out Scottie! I guess you are the type of Scot that wears a pair of bloomers under your kilt.

I certainly do not eat tinned haggis by choice - but how else do you expect me to carry haggis in my luggage on a 24hour door to door journey to a stinking hot country, and without any means of refrigeration? I figured a fresh haggis would be rancid by the time I got it there and wanted to serve it up some days later

And I can assure you that everything under my kilt (And I have 4 of them) hangs/swings freely.

Finally, if I ever become one of those deluded ex-pats who opens a bar in Pattaya (with no prior knowledge of how to run one) then you can be sure that haggis will be on the menu together with several other delights which I'm keeping under wraps

paperboy
September 9th, 2017, 17:20
But, haggis is English
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/5960237/Haggis-was-invented-by-the-English-not-the-Scottish-says-historian.html

arsenal
September 9th, 2017, 17:47
If it was invented by the English then it was probably an early form of a biological weapon. Even the Pictadonian Celtish only eat it once a year and even then it's accompanied by vast quantities of whisky and terrible poetry.

scottish-guy
September 9th, 2017, 17:52
Arsenal should stick to traditional English fare - but always bearing in mind that a spotted dick can follow taking several faggots in the mouth

arsenal
September 9th, 2017, 19:47
And for dessert I can offer either QUEEN of puddings or MINCE pies.

FarangRuMak
September 9th, 2017, 20:03
But, haggis is English
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/5960237/Haggis-was-invented-by-the-English-not-the-Scottish-says-historian.html
WHAT!?
Next you'll be a tellin' us that Beef Wellington and even the Duke of Wellington is/was English.

FarangRuMak
September 9th, 2017, 20:28
I know we're way off topic here but on health and safety grounds let me caution any of you who might find yourself in Belfast to stay away from a dish called the "Ulster Fry".
Haggis is Vegan in comparison.

scottish-guy
September 9th, 2017, 21:18
As will many such things there is no definitive proof that haggis is English (or Scottish) - I've even seen claims the Romans invented it!

arsenal
September 9th, 2017, 21:33
It's basically a sausage and so sausages were probably 'invented' a day or two after the first hunter killed an animal.

frequent
September 10th, 2017, 11:31
............but real Scots don't eat TINNED haggis - we've found you out Scottie! I guess you are the type of Scot that wears a pair of bloomers under your kilt.5313

Nirish guy
September 10th, 2017, 15:05
Really the Ulster Fry that's sacrilege and saying such things is a treasonable offence ! I'll have you know that no one has ever died from eating an Ulster Fry ! Ok so maybe a year years later from congenital heart disease but NEVER whilst eating it !!! You'll be hearing from our lawyers !!

FarangRuMak
September 11th, 2017, 01:52
It's hard to put the Belfast crowd down.
After my Ulster Fry I spent the day in the Titanic Museum/Interpretive Centre as a prelude to my expected death.
This, in my humble opinion, is one of the most interesting museums in the entire world.
But what's really clever is that the theme that's woven through the tour is not one of tragedy but more like "We built the finest ship in the world but as soon as the English got their hands on her she was doomed"

joe552
September 11th, 2017, 22:40
For what it's worth, my vote goes to the Ulster Fry (which is basically the same as we get down here, I believe). The very idea of haggis makes me retch.

Now gentlemen, back to the topic. After much deliberation (and not a little cogitation, as Loyd Grossman might say) I've decided to end the search for my old friend. Even if I could find him, which is doubtful, there is no way to know which way it would turn out. It's not just about my wishes. He has a life I need to consider too.

So thanks for all the contributions. I found it really useful. Now, I'm off for a big bowl of Irish stew (and they're off again...!)

bobsaigon2
September 12th, 2017, 11:49
Can't say that I've ever been near a serving of haggis. For the Ulster fry or Full Irish breakfast, what you see on your plate is pretty much straightforward, no mysteries. The blood pudding might not be everyone's choice as a breakfast item, but I do wish white pudding was available here in Vietnam.

Back to topic, more or less- I recently considered contacting a couple of people from my distant past to explain or apologise about some incidents that occurred long ago. But I finally realized that although that might make me feel good, it might well be an unwelcome intrusion in their lives. And, they might not even remember me or the incident. So, as Lao Tzu or someone similar said, for peace of mind, it's better to focus on the present rather than past or future.

joe552
September 12th, 2017, 12:33
Well said, bob, and a good thought to start the day for those of us waking up in Europe just about now.

And at least I've re-connected with the guy I spent my last two trips with. So it was worthwhile.

Smiles
September 12th, 2017, 14:45
Hope you have a great trip Joe. I notice that you have said "...coming to Pattaya ..." rather than " ...coming to Thailand ...". Are you planning to stay in that rather dirty town for your whole journey?

For a bit of comic relief you might try flying up to Vientiane. An esteemed member on this board will be moving there soon and could escort you around. Could be fun ... bring a cane, preferably a white one.

scottish-guy
September 12th, 2017, 15:28
.....Are you planning to stay in that rather dirty town (Pattaya) for your whole journey....

If, by " rather dirty" you are talking about squalor then I fear you must have habituated in the same way as a dung beetle calls a heap of manure "home sweet home"!

All the main tourist cities in Thailand feature almost compulsory squalor and most self-respecting sex tourists seek out little oases of pleasure which have mitigated the squalor to some extent (preferably less than 2 cockroaches per square metre)

Once emerging from the venues in the wee small hours, one can dodge the rats scurrying across the streets and pavements.

If on the other hand "rather dirty" refers to sexual degeneracy then I would recommend that Joe books in to Pattaya for a month!

Smiles
September 12th, 2017, 16:22
Yes, I meant dirty streets, dirty sun canvasses, greasy sidewalks, dirty beggars. All dirtyism can be found in any Thai city or town, but Pattaya takes the dirty cake by a dirty country mile.
The sex part is fairly normal, unfortunately.

FarangRuMak
September 12th, 2017, 21:08
For what it's worth, my vote goes to the Ulster Fry (which is basically the same as we get down here, I believe). The very idea of haggis makes me retch.

Now gentlemen, back to the topic. After much deliberation (and not a little cogitation, as Loyd Grossman might say) I've decided to end the search for my old friend. Even if I could find him, which is doubtful, there is no way to know which way it would turn out. It's not just about my wishes. He has a life I need to consider too.

So thanks for all the contributions. I found it really useful. Now, I'm off for a big bowl of Irish stew (and they're off again...!)
Here we go again....
I'm convinced that Irish Stew is an English term and a derogatory one at that. A way to describe a hotch-potch meal made of everything that's to hand.
There's one flaw in my thesis and that's the stipulation that lamb is the flesh of choice.
I wonder was it always so?

bobsaigon2
September 12th, 2017, 21:19
Following the above references to Haggis, I thought it should be something on my bucket list, and at my local imported foods shop today, what to my wondering eyes should appear but Grant's Premium Haggis. Directions say to warm it gently in a saucepan and for a real Scottish flavour, add a wee dram before serving. To be honest, I am hesitant about opening the tin. May have to save it for a day when I am adventurous.

scottish-guy
September 12th, 2017, 21:51
Come on Bob, be a man - it's only a sheep's heart, liver, and lungs all minced up with oatmeal, onion and spices - stuffed into the sheep's stomach and cooked.

Since your haggis is in a tin you can even leave out the stomach bit

What could possibly go wrong?

MiniMee
September 12th, 2017, 21:57
Yes, I meant dirty streets, dirty sun canvasses, greasy sidewalks, dirty beggars. All dirtyism can be found in any Thai city or town, but Pattaya takes the dirty cake by a dirty country mile.The sex part is fairly normal, unfortunately. There is a reason that it's known as Shitsville.

scottish-guy
September 12th, 2017, 22:03
There is a reason that it's known as Shitsville.

And that reason is: bitter and twisted old queens who think they're a cut above but who are actually just whoremongers like the rest

sglad
September 12th, 2017, 22:08
And that reason is: bitter and twisted old queens who think they're a cut above but who are actually just whoremongers like the rest

I think straights call it Shitsville too or something similar and I always thought it was a term of endearment. :D

scottish-guy
September 12th, 2017, 22:40
Arseholes abound in all sexual orientations

joe552
September 13th, 2017, 01:50
While clearing out me drawers (it has to be done occasionally) I came across a photo album from a trip we took with my old friend's parents and grandfather to Preah Vihar. Fair brought a tear to my eye! It was a day trip, so he must be up that neck of the woods somewhere? Oh god, here I go again.

Regarding Irish stew - lamb was used in the countryside. My family came from the slums of Dublin so cheap cuts of beef would be used. In Dublin, we have a unique version, even cheaper - the beef was substituted by rashers and sausages. My sister still has this every Saturday, a family tradition.

joe552
September 13th, 2017, 01:57
Oh, and Smiles, when I only have a short time for my holiday, I like the familiar. I can drop my luggage, and head to my favourite bar. I'm the same in Tenerife. Tend to stay around the same area. I started this thread thinking about going up to Sisaket - would that satisfy you?

frequent
September 13th, 2017, 12:58
... but who are actually just whoremongers like the restWhere's justaguy when you need him!

frequent
September 13th, 2017, 13:16
I'm convinced that Irish Stew is an English term and a derogatory one at that. A way to describe a hotch-potch meal made of everything that's to hand.
There's one flaw in my thesis and that's the stipulation that lamb is the flesh of choice.
I wonder was it always so?

Irish stew is any variety of meat-and-root vegetables stew native to Ireland. As in all traditional folk dishes, the exact recipe is not consistent from time or place to place.
Place of origin: Ireland
Main ingredients: Lamb, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsley

joe552
September 13th, 2017, 13:32
When I was growing up in the slums and squalor of Dublin, lamb was more expensive than cheap cuts of beef, hence the Dublin version. I hated the Saturday coddle my mother made (and my sister still does). Boiled rashers and sausages? Oh, no thanks!

scottish-guy
September 13th, 2017, 15:05
I have to say that boiled rashers and sausages sounds absolutely disgusting!

At the risk of reprising Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch, even in the slums of Glasgow we could stretch to boiled ham hough, potatoes and cabbage for a Sunday meal - and if ham hough was too expensive the substitute was ham ribs.

The "brey" from the ham hough/ribs was of course used to make a hearty broth which then lasted for 3 or 4 days (no refrigeration of course)

A friend of my mother's was the "talk of the steamie" because she was caught adding lentils to the mince to stretch it out!

Like you with the rashers and sausages, one thing I have never been able to stomach is Steak Pie with sausages in it. I've always presumed the addition of the sausages was as a "filler" - but it's always been one economy too far for me

:lol:

bobsaigon2
September 13th, 2017, 17:29
Thanks to SG’s encouragement, I’ve Haggissed. Despite the label on the tin saying it contains Lamb Lobes and despite differences on various websites, some interpreting “lobes” as brain and some as lungs…. So despite the uncertainty, I opened the tin. Thanks to the detailed directions on The Tin Cannoisseur, I knew exactly how to serve up this Scottish delight. ( http://thetincannoisseur.blogspot.com/2014/02/some-hae-meat-and-canna-eat.html )

Mindful of the fact that a tin of Grant’s Premium Haggis may be far removed from a traditionally prepared version, I was quite pleased that I overcame my hesitation. It turned out that I have wasted a whole lifetime by not eating haggis till now. Brains or lungs, I know not and care not. My apologies to the fine people of Scotland and their culinary heritage.

Granted that if a prospective diner were shown a platter of pre-minced ingredients, the sight of the sheep's heart, liver, and lungs would be off-putting. But after thorough mincing and mixing with other ingredients, what’s the problem?

I copied the photo on Grant’s tin and enjoyed (very much) a half tin of Premium Haggis with some thoroughly buttered mashed potatoes. VERY satisfying.

The remaining half tin: I can easily imagine that combined with some lovely lentils to give it more body. And, since we all have washing machines these days, I needn’t worry that my preparation will be the talk of anyone’s steamie. :)

FarangRuMak
September 13th, 2017, 18:31
Mrs Beeton would regularly cook lungs.
Back then they were called "lights".
Liver&Lights were a common combination.
I don't know of any dish today with Lights except Haggis.
I was served dog in a house in Cambodia.
It included pieces of liver.
If I never ate dog again it would be too soon.

Smiles
September 15th, 2017, 17:07
Oh, and Smiles, when I only have a short time for my holiday, I like the familiar. I can drop my luggage, and head to my favourite bar. I'm the same in Tenerife. Tend to stay around the same area. I started this thread thinking about going up to Sisaket - would that satisfy you?
Do it Joe! Si Saket is cool. Should be rainy there now and the rice fields are, well, emerald green ... like Ireland. A littler hotter though!
We own a very nice house/home in Si Saket's neighbour province, Surin. Love going out there during November when the nights are glorious and the frogs are REALLY noisy.

bobsaigon2
September 15th, 2017, 17:35
Yes, do it, Joe. Whatever it is. Do it while you have the chance. I just read Smiles' post in another thread saying that board member Xian had passed away. Seemed like a lovely, cultured, talented individual, and he was only in his late fifties when he left us. Sorry I never got a chance to chat with him. RIP.

Smiles
September 15th, 2017, 18:29
Yes, do it, Joe. Whatever it is. Do it while you have the chance. I just read Smiles' post in another thread saying that board member Xian had passed away. Seemed like a lovely, cultured, talented individual, and he was only in his late fifties when he left us. Sorry I never got a chance to chat with him. RIP.
Bob, you done me wrong!
I meant his Blog has seemingly passed away ... not him, himself. :mad: You're gonna get me in loads of trouble mate!

(I suppose he could be dead, but if so I have no knowledge of it.) :dirol_mini:

bobsaigon2
September 15th, 2017, 21:14
Wish there was some way I could recede into the woodwork. My apologies to Smiles and most certainly my abject apologies to Xian. I mis-read the post about no entries in Xian's blog for a couple of years, and inferred that he had left us a couple of years ago. This is probably due to the fact that I have Departure much on my mind these days. Sorry again, Smiles and Xian.

joe552
September 15th, 2017, 23:40
The original point of me going up to Sisaket was to try to find my old friend. I've already spent time up there with him and his family some years ago - the best holiday I've ever had. However, since I've resolved not to try to track him down, there would seem little point in me going. And my Lao friend in Pattaya was never keen on the idea anyway.

There's a potential fly in the ointment - I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, which might result in a need for surgery before Christmas. If so, I obviously won't be travelling in January. I'd be devastated if that's the case, but I'd have no choice. I'll keep you all posted.

And don't worry bob - I'm sure nobody noticed your faux pas!