PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reside in Chaing Mai?

cdnmatt
September 3rd, 2017, 18:35
Ok, this is quite weird and awkward. Simply put, we're out of this house on Nov 6th, and instead of getting a new house in Khon Kaen, I've decided to just bootstrap it, and move us to Chaing Mai instead. Not exactly how I planned this, but it's what's going to happen.

I'm looking for someone who's on the ground in Chaing Mai and can provide assistance. I need a temporary residence for a month or two, while we get our footing, and find a more permanent residence. Only requirements are furnished, two bedrooms, utilities including internet, and a large gated yard for the dogs.

Payments will be in cash or transfer into Thai bank account. We don't have ID, except for a Laos passport, which is somewhat the sticking point here. Both Leo and myself are good people, and no problems with us. The dogs are both great boys, but well.... they're dogs.

Thought I would try here first, so we don't have to deal with any homophobic bullshit. Really though, I'm blind, Leo's an idiot, I have the dogs, we're out of this house on Nov 6th, so if there's anyone out there who can possibly provide assistance, please let me know. If wanted, I'll be happy to pay for your time, as we can't do this outselves.

We're just going to show up in a pickup truck with the dogs, with hopes we have comewhere to stay. Again, not exactly how I planned it, but it's what will happen. If anyone can possibly provide assistance, we would extremely appreciate it. Please contact me via PM if you're available.

Thanks.

Moses
September 3rd, 2017, 19:56
I can ask Woody to assist if you want.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 3rd, 2017, 20:14
Don't live in Chiang Mai, but I think that as it is such a centre for "digital nomads" there will be no shortage of information online about the pleasures and pitfalls moving to live in that city.

Here is a Youtube playlist by an expat from the USA, completely devoted to the subject of finding an apartment in Chiang Mai (he has a few different playlists about different aspects of living in CM):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxuZOzDnhf5vuboCs_A9NSGzt1Gx1KgjS

Very much focused on the cheapest end of the market, as you shall see.

Your main problem is that short term places to get you started in Chiang mai (say places that rent on a week-to-week basis) are more likely to be apartments, which will not be set up for dogs.

francois
September 4th, 2017, 00:18
We don't have ID, except for a Laos passport, which is somewhat the sticking point here.

matt, now that does say it all.

cdnmatt
September 4th, 2017, 00:19
@Moses -- Thinking about it, that might be perfect, and much better than some random farang I find on the internet. I jumped the gun a bit here, as we do have until Nov 6th, but I'll drop you a PM in the next couple weeks. I'll get Leo to chat with him a bit, and we'll go from there.

@Ronan -- Thanks, but no need for convincing. Decision is already 100% made, we're going to Chiang Mai. I just didn't expect it to happen like this, as this is unplanned, but oh well, it's how life goes.

cdnmatt
September 4th, 2017, 00:26
matt, now that does say it all.

Don't be a Trump. Just because I'm an illegal immigrant, doesn't mean I'm a rapist who's ruining society. :)

BonTong
September 4th, 2017, 04:40
Chiang Mai has changed so much in recent years. Suggest you think carefully where you want to live and the type of lifestyle you aspire to. The city centre has become a construction site and traffic jam. So many people I know have moved out to the more rural areas outside town. Fine if you have transport and want a quiet life, but coming into the city for nightlife becomes difficult, especially with more and more drink driving checks (if that is your thing).

Your description rules out an apartment implying a house, or at least a town/shop house with outdoor area. In the central area, there used to be a good supply of houses for rent, but they've been tearing them down all over to build condos and shop house rows so they are increasingly hard to find. You will likely have to look further out in the suburbs or hinterland to find what you want.

As Ronan stated, it could be hard to find a short term house for let, six months is probably the minimum, a year more likely. Some also may not accept animals, including dogs. Though you could just leave the dogs out in the soi like everyone else seems to:mad:.

Also be aware that CM immigration was having a big crackdown on TM30 (I think that's the number - anyway the form that must be submitted by the landlord) earlier this year. That is going to be a problem if you don't have suitable ID, though I'm sure there are Thai landlords who still ignore it. You may also get the BIB visiting if the landlord doesn't pay for a "red box", but then they'll visit every day if you do have a "red box" :).

Sorry to strike a pessimistic note, just trying to give some realistic advice.

DrewSpz
September 4th, 2017, 04:56
You should use the app mister bnb, it's like air bnb but for gays. I just looked and there's loads of junk in that area listed. You'd have to search through and see what listings if any match ur needs.

FarangRuMak
September 4th, 2017, 10:13
What's a "Red Box"?
At the check-in desk I overheard a very nervous passenger asking to be put in the Black Box.
Would it be the latest "must have" feature of a fetish guesthouse replete with whips and red leather couches?

cdnmatt
September 4th, 2017, 10:21
No, BongTong is right, and they have been doing a crackdown on foreigners in the past ~12 months. It's been happening here in Khon Kaen as well, so I'm sure the same is true for Chiang Mai.

If you're a property / house owner, you're required by law to fill out some form and report to the government if / when a foreign alient is living within your residence. Not too big of a deal for us, except just need to find a landlord who's willing to forget to submit that form to the government.

bobsaigon2
September 4th, 2017, 11:28
Matt, please do tell us why you don't have a Canadian passport any longer. You said, "We don't have ID, except for a Laos passport". ???

arsenal
September 4th, 2017, 12:06
You might also want to find out of the Thai Immigration Office will allow you to pay the fine (500 baht per day) in Bitcoin.

latintopxxx
September 4th, 2017, 12:21
dont ask rude questions..its his personal life...he's a blind 35 year old bitcoin billionaire with a bubble butted toy boy and two slobbery dogs when the toy boy isnt available to pander to his sexual needs....thats all u need to know...anyway if one has bitcoins instead of real money then who needs a passport...am sure there is a bitcoin alternative to a mere paper dicument carried by ordinary mortals...
...and here I get accused of making stuff up...

frequent
September 4th, 2017, 13:42
Payments will be in cash or transfer into Thai bank account.
Shome mishtake shurely? What happened to Bitcoin as the answer to every sodomite's prayers?

I'm looking for someone who's on the ground in Chaing Mai and can provide assistanceYou're actually prepared to meet someone? In the flesh as it were?

bobsaigon2
September 4th, 2017, 14:14
I suppose there's some reason for choosing to move to Chiang Mai as opposed to simply travelling up the road to Nong Khai, just across the border from Lao.

arsenal
September 4th, 2017, 14:32
Very simple Bob. There are more 'stories' to be written from Chiang Mai. Chapter 2 of One Man, Two Dogs and Leo from Laos is coming to a gay forum near you soon.

cdnmatt
September 4th, 2017, 14:32
Ok, I'm not here for an internet fight, at least not in this thread.

Come Nov 6th we'll be in Chiang Mai, and at the very least need a house with two bedrooms and a large gated yard. The dogs are very strong and healthy, so no, they're not allowed on the street by themselves, as they will cause total havoc.

Anyway, anyone who can possibly provide assistance, please let me know. Again, I'm blind, and although Leo is an amazing individual. he is very much a village boy, so I can't trust him to find his way around a new city the size of Chiang Mai.

Anyone who can provide assistance, please contact. I can compensate financially, or I make a kickass chicken cordon bleu if that helps any.

FarangRuMak
September 4th, 2017, 14:46
Shome mishtake shurely? What happened to Bitcoin as the answer to every sodomite's prayers?
You're actually prepared to meet someone? In the flesh as it were?
I took this request for help as the final rebuff to the naysayers.
Of course somebody here or a friend will have to meet this gentleman and his boyfriend, dogs and and accoutrements in order to set him up.
I think he'll be very happy to meet anyone of you if you can be of assistance during this awkward time.
Ya'll need to be careful that your help is given differentally, preferably through a Thai citizen.
I don't carry my gorgeous but illegal Cambodian on my motorbike any more, for instance.
He follows me on a motocyke taxi nowadays.
If the BIB stop him the love of my life is on his own.
I prefer to see him through the cell bars than to be inside looking out with him.
At least I can offer some assistance from outside but always from a discreet distance. It has happened.
Yes Nong Khai might be better than Chiang Mai.
Rowing or Wet Backing across the Mae Nam Kong would at least be an option in a pinch.

bobsaigon2
September 4th, 2017, 15:20
Had a house on the river in Nong Khai once. Lovely spot. Could see the Wat on the Lao side of the river and hear the drums they used to wake the monks at 3 or 4 AM.

a447
September 4th, 2017, 15:34
Anyway, anyone who can possibly provide assistance, please let me know.

Moses already has. It was the second post in this thread!

I can ask Woody to assist if you want.

So why didn't you take him up on his offer? Why are you still banging on about it?

Surely not so you can get more mileage out of the topic.

(Silly old cynical me.)

BonTong
September 4th, 2017, 15:46
What's a "Red Box"?

The "Red Box" is a metal box that looks like a typical Thai mailbox, that the police affix to the front of your property. It contains a note book that the passing patrol signs, with the time of visit once or twice a day. Cost typically 500-1000 Bt per month. If you don't have one, the Police will likely visit offering the service. Asked nicely they might even fulfill your leather fetish: TIT afterall.

For me, the value of the service is not so much the Police visits/security themselves, but having a local contact to call when needed (e.g. like the night a gun fight broke out outside the front gate...:eek: long true story but a bit off topic, so much for quiet and peaceful Chiang Mai). Over the years, some of the "red box" BIB have become good friends and engaged in the social circle. Always useful in Thailand.

BonTong
September 4th, 2017, 15:53
If you're a property / house owner, you're required by law to fill out some form and report to the government if / when a foreign alien is living within your residence. Not too big of a deal for us, except just need to find a landlord who's willing to forget to submit that form to the government.

I suspect many Thai landlords don't want to know about it. If you are here on a visa it becomes an issue if you have to do 90 day reports or extensions. I know guys who have been fined when doing 90 day reports because the landlord hadn't/wouldn't filed the TM30 - it should be the landlord who gets fined but I guess fining the farang instead is easier :rolleyes:.

Nirish guy
September 4th, 2017, 16:13
The "Red Box" is a metal box that looks like a typical Thai mailbox, that the police affix to the front of your property. It contains a note book that the passing patrol signs, with the time of visit once or twice a day.

So perhaps I'm being stupid here but is the quoted intended purpose of the box to reassure the farang that the police are looking after them well - OR - to reassure the Thai government and locals that the police are carefully keeping an eye on those pesky Farang and making sure they're not getting up to anything they shouldn't ( or at least that they're not getting fined or tea money'd for ?) - or maybe it's both ??

But what's the stated aim given when the "service" is sold to you ( I'm assuming from reading the above that it's compulsory ? )

latintopxxx
September 4th, 2017, 16:27
...i would rename it pandora's box

BonTong
September 4th, 2017, 16:31
But what's the stated aim given when the "service" is sold to you ( I'm assuming from reading the above that it's compulsory ? )

Firstly, it's mainly Thai's who have "Red Boxes", so its not really intended to monitor Farangs. The face value benefits are: i) That the Police keep an eye on your property, ii)Sends a message to local robbers and thieves that you are "protected", and to neighbours that you are one of the good guys who support the Police.

As per previous post, in my opinion, it is the less obvious benefits that make it worthwhile.

It is not compulsory, I know plenty of cynical farangs and economical Thai's who've declined the service. Of course, it's usually the same farang who complain about lack of Police response when they get burgled.

Nirish guy
September 4th, 2017, 16:49
AAhhh ok, I get it now, thank you for the answer in reply.

latintopxxx
September 4th, 2017, 16:49
...think I would most definitely get one of those if it means that the cops would be visiting me on a regular basis...with one proviso...they gotta wear those tight uniforms...

Nirish guy
September 4th, 2017, 16:53
Matt, please do tell us why you don't have a Canadian passport any longer. You said, "We don't have ID, except for a Laos passport". ???

I assumed Matt meant from that that whilst he may HAVE his Canadian passport in his possession that being an illegal he can't of course use that in any official way now in Thailand or it would of course simply flag up his existence and presence to the authorities - and to do so when giving them a registered address would of course be an incredibly stupid thing to do if and when the immigration department did their checks ( assuming they do) and came out to give him a free taxi ride to jail or the airport or both the very next morning.

You see Matt this is one of those times that HAVING a big wad of cash rolled up in 1000 baht notes in your safe at home could well be useful as I'm guessing the immigration service don't accept Bitcoin, either for overstay payments or more importantly for bribes !

Smiles
September 4th, 2017, 16:57
Just interested, by why are you leaving the Khon Kaen Story in the first place? Why is November 6th so important?
Is it because of the majestic mountain scenery (a reasonable desire) or are you running away from something or other?

Your lack of holding any form of ID is very weird, much less illegal. It implies that you don't even have a Canadian passport (normally a good ID) much less any form of visa that allows you to stay long term in Thailand ... much less working in Thailand. Not holding one is illegal as well. Tell me if I'm wrong about this.

Knowing that you are possibly illegal on a number of levels, you want some farang to help you out in a much more serious manner than simply letting you stay over for a few days/nights to get settled in . . . but you have a long history of reneging on your invitations by a few members here to meet up for a beer or somewhat in KK. Have you given any thought that you might be putting in jeopardy any help mate you can dig up ... you could be actually 'hiding away', couldn't you?

I skip past the Blind Story in all this angst, but frankly that has always 'sounded' a bit iffy to me as well.

Your Leo Story is fraught with oddities. Just In this thread he's both "an idiot", and then an "amazing individual" a few posts later. Which is it then?

OK ... I get that this is not is none of my business. But in fact you have splashed your tribulations all over this message board for years now -- much less the entire www -- but a lot of it comes across as rather odd indeed.

bobsaigon2
September 4th, 2017, 17:07
No response from Matt to the crucial question about the disappeared Canadian passport, or to the less crucial question of why the more convenient Nong Khai was not chosen. I’m inclined to agree with Arsenal: Very simple Bob. There are more 'stories' to be written from Chiang Mai. Chapter 2 of One Man, Two Dogs and Leo from Laos is coming to a gay forum near you soon.

And what struck me today was that the creator of the whole Matt saga could have been inspired by Tintin, “the Belgian boy reporter (who did not travel alone. From the very beginning to the very end he was accompanied by his dog, Snowy.”) Of course Matt is Canadian, older than Tintin, has two dogs instead of just Snowy, is gay, dabbles in cyber-currency, but still…..

Also in Tintin, we see the precursor of Leo the Lao. Another quote from Wikipedia- “Chang Chong-Chen is a fictional character in The Adventures of Tintin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin), the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Herg. Although Chang and Tintin only know each other for a short time, they form a deep bond which drives them to tears when they separate or are re-united”. [Not quite hetero if you ask me.]

So, yes, we will be looking forward to further adventures of the duo (+ dogs) once they’re resettled in Chiang Mai. Maybe Matt will be able to devise a way to present his stories to us in comic book form? The Tintin series was quite successful.

a447
September 4th, 2017, 17:56
Ah, yes. Tintin.

We have a member here with that name. He told us that he got the name from the cartoon series.

Mind you, he hardly ever posts; all he ever seems to do is go to the trouble of logging on just to give likes to Matt and surfcrest. They're his favourites. Then he strangely disappears.

FarangRuMak
September 4th, 2017, 19:22
This is a difficult one.
If it's a 50/50 in terms of truth then there's a 50% chance of making a bad situation worse for a blind man.
If it is a scam then the scammer is a low-down scumbag because he compromises the credibility of the truely blind and he deserves all that's thrown at him and more.
Even if the OP is truely blind I hope he agrees that an emergency Wet-Backing across the Mae Nam Cong to Laos under the cover of darkness will be problematic for his pursuers but not for him.
So Nong Khai is best.

arsenal
September 4th, 2017, 19:35
The Newspaper Headline.

Non Passport Holding Blind Canadian Illegal Immigrant Narrowly Escapes Thai Authorities By Swimming Across The Mekong River With His Laotian Boyfriend, Two Dogs And Computer With His Life Savings In Bitcoin Stored On It's Hard Drive.

Did I miss anything out?

justaguy
September 4th, 2017, 19:51
amusing thread. Keep it up.

Does Leo actually exists ? He will now have to travel quite a bit farther for this trips into Lao, I am guessing he either crossed FSB 1 or FSB 2, and is now looking at a considerable longer journey.

bobsaigon2
September 4th, 2017, 20:03
Which is why I suggested the convenience of Nong Khai. Oh, and if he should attempt to swim across the Kong, he'll no doubt be bringing a waterproof bag containing the implements he uses (while sightless) to prepare his "kick ass chicken cordon bleu".

arsenal
September 4th, 2017, 20:07
In a statement, Police Colonel Thickasshit Djathinkweareyoutwat said regarding the fugitive.
"This is unbelievable. It's like he vanished into thin air. Almost as though he doesn't exist."

bobsaigon2
September 4th, 2017, 20:26
On the assumption that he does exist either in this universe or an alternate one, seems like for Leo's sake, Chiang Mai is the worst choice. Going north from Chiang Mai, through Chiang Rai, to the Thai-Lao border crossing at Ban Houayxay, it would take 24-36 hours on a series of buses to reach Vientiane. Whereas if the happy couple stayed in Issan, Leo could cross the Friendship Bridges at Vientiane, Nakhon Phanom or Mukdahan. But no doubt there's sound reasoning underpinning the choice of Chiang Mai. Or maybe it's just not possible for him to read a map any longer.

cdnmatt
September 4th, 2017, 21:41
Why would we want to live in Nong Khai? I've been there multiple times, and it's even worse than Khon Kaen. We're trying to move forward in life, not backwards.
If you really must know why Chiang Mai, multiple reasons:

1.) It's a more modern city.
2.) It's a well known tech hub, and I happen to work in the tech industry. It's a bit of an "underground" tech hub, but it is there. Still uncertain as to why the Thai government hasn't capitalized on that. They could probably turn Chiang Mai into another Ireland if they wanted.
3.) There's far more opportunities available to Leo in terms of work and education.
4.) I have a great idea for a business, but it's a localized concept. Khon Kaen is simply too small, but I think Chaing Mai would be excellent as a launch pad for a test pilot, and to get proof of concept.

That, and I just want to buy Cumin again. Khon Kaen hasn't had it in over 2 years.

3.)

FarangRuMak
September 4th, 2017, 21:57
+arsenal
But of course he DOES exist somewhere in the Multiverse,
if that exists.

BonTong
September 4th, 2017, 22:24
Oh dear.........

If you really must know why Chiang Mai, multiple reasons:

1.) It's a more modern city.
It's become a too modern city, which has been allowed to develop madly without any infrastructure planning. If you're gonna build loads of new condos, electricity, water and road access are things that should be considered in the initial planning, not as an inconvenient after thought. Then there is the little issues of a city built on a flood plain in an earhtquake zone. There is a reason all the old wooden houses were built on pillars above ground.

2.) It's a well known tech hub, and I happen to work in the tech industry. It's a bit of an "underground" tech hub, but it is there. Still uncertain as to why the Thai government hasn't capitalized on that. They could probably turn Chiang Mai into another Ireland if they wanted.
Tech Hub? After running a tech company here for many years I must have missed something...... A tech hub needs technically qualified people. The city may be full of Digital Nomads with lice breeding beards, but almost none of these are making money. Indeed, most don't know where their next beer. shag, spliff or even meal is coming from (unless they have daddy's trust fund), but they seem happy "living the dream". The people who are making money in the tech industry in CM keep a very low profile and don't associate with others. As for qualified Thai employees, nuff said.

3.) There's far more opportunities available to Leo in terms of work and education.

I used to have a Laos BF in Chiang Mai, lovely guy. But, third class citizen even behind the Shan/Tai Yai. Don't expect too much.

That, and I just want to buy Cumin again.

Cumin can be arranged in Adams Apple, about 500 Bt per shot... served on your table, Makes a nice sauce for the free pop corn LOL

Again.sorry to be negative, but the reality sometimes doesn't match the dream.

Tintin
September 5th, 2017, 04:23
Ah, yes. Tintin.

We have a member here with that name. He told us that he got the name from the cartoon series.

Mind you, he hardly ever posts; all he ever seems to do is go to the trouble of logging on just to give likes to Matt and surfcrest. They're his favourites. Then he strangely disappears.

I didn't "strangely disappear". I just have better things to do than to post here daily.

Oh, and I don't give likes to people. I give likes to interesting posts that contribute substantially to the discussion, and I will continue to do so.

Tintin
September 5th, 2017, 05:01
And what struck me today was that the creator of the whole Matt saga could have been inspired by Tintin, "the Belgian boy reporter (who did not travel alone. From the very beginning to the very end he was accompanied by his dog, Snowy.)" Of course Matt is Canadian, older than Tintin, has two dogs instead of just Snowy, is gay, dabbles in cyber-currency, but still...

Also in Tintin, we see the precursor of Leo the Lao. Another quote from Wikipedia: "Chang Chong-Chen is a fictional character in The Adventures of Tintin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin), the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Herg. Although Chang and Tintin only know each other for a short time, they form a deep bond which drives them to tears when they separate or are re-united". [Not quite hetero if you ask me.]

Yes, the question about the sexuality of Tintin: Is he hetero, gay, or anything else?

An answer to that question is given in the cartoon "Tintin in Thailand" (which is not written by Herge, but a parody published by an author under the name Bud E. Weyser). Hint: Tintin strands in a gay bar in Chiang Mai, where he runs into Chang...

And no, I don't make this up. Read it for yourself, if you don't believe me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_in_Thailand

frequent
September 5th, 2017, 12:48
...i would rename it pandora's boxAs in "Hi Pandora, how's your box"?
You see Matt this is one of those times that HAVING a big wad of cash rolled up in 1000 baht notes in your safe at home could well be useful as I'm guessing the immigration service don't accept Bitcoin, either for overstay payments or more importantly for bribes !But it was only a few short weeks ago that Matt was telling any of us who still care to believe him - a dwindling number - that any moment now he was popping off to Singapore with his big wad of cash and buy himself a shiny bright new Elite Card (they don't take Bitcoin either)

Nirish guy
September 5th, 2017, 17:14
As in "Hi Pandora, how's your box"?But it was only a few short weeks ago that Matt was telling any of us who still care to believe him - a dwindling number - that any moment now he was popping off to Singapore with his big wad of cash and buy himself a shiny bright new Elite Card (they don't take Bitcoin either)

Now, that's not fair as Matt already addressed that to say he was just forward thinking and he didn't mean he was off to do it right there and then as he can't afford perhaps just now as he's poor but maybe in the future when things get going again - after Bitcoin multiples by a million and not just the 10's and 100's and 1000's that it's already multiplied by in the time that he's been getting paid in it over the past few fews which living there " comfortably" and so one would assuming having even a little spare each month, which would now be worth quite a tidy sum it seems - or not if you're Matt just it seems ! ?

arsenal
September 5th, 2017, 18:48
Canadian Dude Matt and Leo from Laos were in police custard (surreal) last night. After a few years of broadcasting his wherabourlts, his circumstances, his family life, his lack of papers, his disabilities, and his financial affairs, including where said financial affairs are stored as well as making plenty of kickass enemies in gayboardland it was only a question of time before someone dobbed him in.
😀😁😂

a447
September 5th, 2017, 18:55
That is simply fake news, arsenal.

There is no way matt could be in custard.

Like everybody else, the police have been unable to find him in KK.

I suggest they should be looking elsewhere.

:))

justaguy
September 6th, 2017, 03:35
Matt CM isn't all that more bigger than KK. If you want big, go BKK. In fact I would probably prefer Udon and KK over Chiang Mai.

cdnmatt
September 6th, 2017, 08:23
No, location isn't up for debate. The decision has already been made, it's Chiang Mai.

frequent
September 6th, 2017, 14:24
Why would we want to live in Nong Khai? I've been there multiple times, and it's even worse than Khon Kaen. We're trying to move forward in life, not backwards.Yet I recall multiple posts extolling the virtues of Khon Kaen, and life thereabouts