PDA

View Full Version : uk pound exchange rate

aot871
August 24th, 2017, 18:29
How far would the uk pound have to fall before you cancelled your next trip

scottish-guy
August 24th, 2017, 18:55
If it went to 35b to the pound it would be about half of the rate I first recall.

For those (inc myself) who like to have sex with (legal) boys approx a third to (and looking ahead) a quarter of their age, I doubt the exchange rate matters too much as a way would be found to afford that which they have no chance of getting at home.

For myself, Thailand has already lost its allure to a significant extent and Ive never relied on it for my sexual escapades. However the exchange rate would not be a deciding factor as id just modify my expenditure.

Now if the air fare reached 1000 (Econ) I would opt out

Marsilius
August 24th, 2017, 23:10
The exchange rate when I first visited (1993) was, I seem to recall, about 39 B to the UK pound. However, Thai money went a lot further in those days. A reasonably generous off in Bangkok, for instance, was 400-500 B - so maybe about

scottish-guy
August 25th, 2017, 00:33
My first visit happily coincided with the Baht having fallen through the floor

latintopxxx
August 25th, 2017, 10:21
...some of u seem to have really tight budgets...

Nirish guy
August 25th, 2017, 11:02
Thanks - and yes the boys have commented on that before several times too during sex - I just put it down to all the ass clenches work that I do when at the gym personally ! :-)

scottish-guy
August 25th, 2017, 18:12
...some of u seem to have really tight budgets...

I would never pay over 1000 pounds for an Economy flight to Thailand. That's not being tight, that's being sensible

And the criticism is a bit rich coming from someone who flies with China Southern - the cheapest carrier in the market.

For myself - I can get 15-20 young local meets for that 1000 pounds - the difference being that the availability is nothing like the same and it might take a year to find 15-20 local lads!

FarangRuMak
August 25th, 2017, 19:26
About 13 years ago Sterling bought 72 baht and the Euro 52 baht.
The baht has remained stubbornly stable over that period whereas larger currencies are in a downward spiral.
I've heard that Thailand had it's own crash before the western economic crash and have learned their lesson.
Despite political problems the economy in Thailand is holding together relatively well.
There are benefits to a weak currency also in terms of exports and tourism so the weakness in sterling is not bad news for everyone but it is for bad for the British expats in Spain and Thailand of course.
There's a lot of glumness in the girlie bars here I notice.
But the homosexuals still look fairly gay.

scottish-guy
September 12th, 2017, 22:50
Well it seems the pound has slowly crept up a bit in the last few weeks and stands at 44B today.

Meanwhile I've been bizarrely pleased to be dealing with a drooping Dong - I was getting 29,500 a couple of weeks ago and I see it is today over 30,000 to the pound for the first time in a couple of years.

arsenal
September 12th, 2017, 23:11
OK. I'll do it. A "drooping dong" is only to be expected at your time of life. It's like having our very own Sid James on the board.

goji
September 13th, 2017, 04:31
Currently, I just calculate a budget in baht, change whatever it takes to get that amount in baht and ignore the exchange rate.

I have no immediate plans to review that policy, due to a asset profile as below.

1 My job pays in sterling, but I don't intend to be doing that for long.
2 I have a modest house in the UK (100% GBP, obviously).
3 Then looking at the pension, stocks & ISAs, 87% of my investment portfolio is in non-UK assets, particularly in Asia. ie just 13% GBP
4 There is a small cash holding, of which 27% is currently held in a non UK currency.

If the rate went below 30 baht, it would be a major psychological blow, but hopefully the stock portfolio would compensate for exchange rate movements.

The freedom to allocate assets like this is the only real advantage of having a piss poor defined contribution pension.
It does at least allow me to put the money where I choose & it has been obvious for many years that additional arrangements need to be made, so they have been made.
NO BMW on the drive, but the makings of a pension instead.

scottish-guy
September 13th, 2017, 16:04
Pensions must be one of the biggest confidence tricks ever - it's is only any good if you live to draw it.

Unfortunately I've seen the demise of so many gay friends who either did not reach pension age or received only a fraction of what they paid in before they went up in smoke.

In every case, due to the mid to late 20th Century UK gay lifestyle of booze, fags, and unprotected sunbathing.

Pensions are great value if you're a monk or nun perhaps and your employer has paid for it.

frequent
September 13th, 2017, 17:03
Pensions must be one of the biggest confidence tricks ever - it's is only any good if you live to draw it.I take it you've fallen for the fallacy "I've paid taxes all my life etc." and assumed that your taxes are contributing to your pension pot. That simply isn't true except as a government accounting trick. Governments generally don't put pots of money aside (the US Social Security system may be an exception) to fund future expenditure out of current receipts. Pensions might be "funded" out of that accounting illusion, "national insurance", but the reality is that pensions in the West are actually funded out of the government's current receipts. Your statement on pensions is analogous to the healthy man who dies of old age never having had a day's illness in his life who hasn't therefore received his just dues from the National Health Service or the householder who has never been burgled and therefore hasn't got his money's worth out of the police force

scottish-guy
September 13th, 2017, 20:53
I was talking about private pensions you fucking idiot - point to where I even *mentioned* National Insurance or the NHS

arsenal
September 14th, 2017, 02:29
The ageing population and the cost of maintaining them, not just in The UK but all over the developed world is just about the biggest elephant in the room ever. It's the main reason China has just scrapped their one child policy. This is a problem that isn't going away and yet there is no palatable solution.

goji
September 14th, 2017, 03:15
Agree with Scottish Guy here.
Also who the hell can afford to go on regular long holidays to Thailand on the basic state pension ? This needs to be a small part of the pie
Your workplace pension, private pension, ISA, property portfolio, business, inheritance or whatever else it is is where the serious money for a nice retirement comes from.
Some of these options are tied to sterling, some are not.

pennyboy
September 14th, 2017, 17:30
My works pension has now been paying me for over 15 years and I look forward to many more. Excellent value.

scottish-guy
September 14th, 2017, 23:38
Good for you Pennyboy - long may you enjoy it - but you're not stupid you realise that the return you get on your contributions is only possible because a certain percentage of contributors don't survive long enough to collect anything or survive for only long enough to receive a fraction of their contributions.

You do get that, don't you?

latintopxxx
September 15th, 2017, 09:57
which is why i fail to understand why western governments are trying to ban smoking..I'd be handing out ciggies for free...

arsenal
September 15th, 2017, 10:54
And free Xanax too.

pennyboy
September 15th, 2017, 18:31
Good for you Pennyboy - long may you enjoy it - but you're not stupid you realise that the return you get on your contributions is only possible because a certain percentage of contributors don't survive long enough to collect anything or survive for only long enough to receive a fraction of their contributions.

You do get that, don't you?

Yes. I get it and thanks for asking. You do realise that the return I get has little to do with my contributions but largely based on my employers greater contributions and returns on investments.

christianpfc
September 17th, 2017, 15:56
The ageing population and the cost of maintaining them, not just in The UK but all over the developed world is just about the biggest elephant in the room ever. It's the main reason China has just scrapped their one child policy. This is a problem that isn't going away and yet there is no palatable solution.
The population of the world is getting older, and there is less demand for unskilled labor (which most of the population is). Technically, statistically, every person saves for his pension during his work life. But that money is spent now by the government, and who pays into a pension scheme can only hope that when he retires, he will get money that someone working at that time pays into a pension scheme. Add to this most econonmes are dependent on growth, we have a Ponzi scheme!

I'm very curious what non-palatable solutions you suggest.

arsenal
September 17th, 2017, 19:55
Christian. I get the feeling that every country is standing around waiting for someone else to come up with the utopian solution. I suspect they'll have a long wait.

newalaan2
September 18th, 2017, 03:48
How far would the uk pound have to fall before you cancelled your next trip
Like others here I have experienced the Bt70 and Bt60 to GBP times when I used to return home with left over cash. Can't really envisage a lower limit which would have me cancel any trips.

I was in Thailand when the EU referendum took place, I held back the bulk of my Sterling to exchange after the referendum expecting a remain vote, I got burnt there! and again I visited just after the last general election when the government lost ground, so twice have had overnight exchange drops on visits. I see GBP is Bt44.4 at Value Plus and Superrich at Suvarnabhumi, so hope the rally holds up until I arrive next week, not that I'd ever let the exchange rate affect my spending habits on holiday. Like Gogi I just adjust the amount of Sterling I take to compensate (GBP 50's). Over that last couple of years I've upped the money I take by GBP500+ just to make up the exchange rate ground and stand still.

Had to edit as used the 'pound' symbol and text disappeared.