PDA

View Full Version : More bad press for Thailand in the UK

Oliver
August 23rd, 2017, 14:35
The trial of a BBC journalist begins today;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/23/bbc-journalist-jonathan-head-on-trial-in-thailand-over-unusual-defamation-case

This in the same week as death sentences have been confirmed on the two Burmese young men accused of killing a tourist, despite the DNA evidence being proved unreliable and the reported involvement in the killing of a criminal and powerful family on the island..

FarangRuMak
August 24th, 2017, 00:02
I recall reading that one of the families involved agreed with the investigative process and conviction.

goji
August 24th, 2017, 00:47
I recall reading that one of the families involved agreed with the investigative process and conviction.

Would that agreement be based on rational informed expertise about forensic methods & a presumption of an investigation with complete integrity ?

Or pure emotion ?

Unless they have specific evidence, I would suggest the families views on who is guilty would be highly unreliable and should be totally disregarded.

FarangRuMak
August 24th, 2017, 14:32
I don't know what the family's reasons were but I recall that one of the families had serious misgivings about the matter but that the other expressed confidence in the process.
That did surprise me but I don't have information to add as to their reasons.

Oliver
August 24th, 2017, 14:52
The more important fact is that the UK expert who investigated the DNA samples found them to be contaminated. And that is the extent of the evidence. Apart from the fact that the guys are Burmese, of course.

Regarding the libel , the case against the journalist has been suddenly dropped but that against the victim of the property scam continues.