View Full Version : bar closeure s

aot871
August 9th, 2017, 19:37
Are there any bar closeures during the first 2 weeks in Oct

gerefan2
August 9th, 2017, 23:13
Not according to this website ..
http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8193

The Kings funeral is on 26 October so who knows what will happen then!

sglad
August 9th, 2017, 23:55
I asked one of my lecturers and he said that based on the last royal funeral, that of the late king's sister in 2008, nightlife venues were closed for 3-4 days and he vaguely remembered some kind of nighttime curfew. The most sombre days will be one or two days before the cremation where final prayers and rituals will be performed, the day of the cremation itself, and one or two days following the cremation for the the gathering of the ashes. So five days tops. Given the number of local and foreign dignitaries that are expected to attend, and the millions of Thai people who are likely to descend upon Bangkok for the funeral, security will probably be very tight and the city will come to a standstill during those few days so perhaps best to avoid Bangkok altogether from Oct 25 to Oct 27.

Patanawet
August 10th, 2017, 02:33
Not according to this website ..
http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8193

The fueral ceremony is 5 days starting on the 25th. The cremation is on the 26th which has been declared a national 'holiday'.

arsenal
August 10th, 2017, 06:30
When The King's sister was buried the bars were officially closed for three days but day two was half hearted and day three completely ignored. It might be more tightly regulated for this one though.

MiniMee
August 16th, 2017, 06:13
Are there any bar closeures during the first 2 weeks in Oct The bars are almost certain to be closed on 6th October for Awk Wan Phansa - the end of Buddhist Lent. New rules were imposed in 2015 and bars were closed last year too. 13th Oct is actually the anniversary of the passing of HM King Bhumipol Adulyadej and things are sure to be very subdued on that day, even though the funeral is two weeks later.

sglad
August 16th, 2017, 06:29
The bars are almost certain to be closed on 6th October for Awk Wan Phansa - the end of Buddhist Lent. New rules were imposed in 2015 and bars were closed last year too. 13th Oct is actually the anniversary of the passing of HM King Bhumipol Adulyadej and things are sure to be very subdued on that day, even though the funeral is two weeks later.

MiniMee, do you speak Thai? You actually transliterated Wan Ok (Awk) Phansa correctly. I've seen it (wrongly) transliterated as "Ow or Aw Phansa" just as "kok" (island) is often wrongly transliterated as "ko". So we often see "Ko Samet", "Ko Samui", "Ko Phi Phi" when it should be Kok Samet, Kok Samui, etc.

Gaybutton
August 16th, 2017, 08:41

No announcements about bar closings for that date have been made yet, but I think the odds are the bars will close.

There are no other bar closing days in October.

The chart can be viewed at: http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/

christianpfc
August 16th, 2017, 10:16
MiniMee, do you speak Thai? You actually transliterated Wan Ok (Awk) Phansa correctly. I've seen it (wrongly) transliterated as "Ow or Aw Phansa" just as "kok" (island) is often wrongly transliterated as "ko". So we often see "Ko Samet", "Ko Samui", "Ko Phi Phi" when it should be Kok Samet, Kok Samui, etc.
sglad, do you speak Thai?
island เกาะ can be transliterated as Ko or Koh, but not kok; there is no sound after the o.

MiniMee
August 16th, 2017, 19:13
There are no other bar closing days in October. The chart can be viewed at: http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/ Try viewing that chart again though something stronger than the bottom of a beer glass.

Gaybutton
August 16th, 2017, 22:07
Try viewing that chart again though something stronger than the bottom of a beer glass.

Ok, so I made a mistake. Keep your snide remarks to yourself. If I hadn't posted that link, you wouldn't have known the bar closure dates.

MiniMee
August 16th, 2017, 22:26
Your humble apology is graciously accepted. But scroll up two posts above yours (#6) and you will see that it was me who mentioned the probability of the Oct 6th bar closure. So I didn't need to refer to your link, I will continue to post remarks as I choose and I suggest you keep those specs on, Gramps.

sglad
August 20th, 2017, 21:54
sglad, do you speak Thai?
island เกาะ can be transliterated as Ko or Koh, but not kok; there is no sound after the o.

Of course there is a sound after the 'o' - it's an unaspirated 'k' sound so the correct utterance for the Thai word for island is kok (low tone). It's what you get when you combine the middle class consonant ก with the short vowel เ–าะ. So เกาะ is pronounced kok (low tone) or kɔ̀ʔ (IPA). I think what you meant to say is that there is no final or ending consonant and not that there is no sound.

To pronounce it as ko, koh or kho (as in co-ed, co-op) would be inaccurate but I have heard farangs say Co-Phuket, Co-Samui, etc and Thais are able to understand them from context.

The problem with the romanization of the Thai script is that there is often inconsistency between how words are spelled in Thai and how they are to be pronounced (in English). This is especially true of words of Pali-Sanskrit origin and rachasap (royal language). A classic example is Suwannaphumi (romanised Thai script) where the correct utterance is actually suwan-na-phum. Another familiar example is Shinawatra (romanised Thai script) for which the correct utterance is chin-na-wat. You can also see the Chinese lineage from the surname Chin.

The problem is further compounded by the RTGS mixing up transliteration with transcription and vice versa and and in seeking to to romanise the Thai script, we are sometimes guilty of the same. The old system of letter-by-letter transliteration is actually quite useless and confusing for students of Thai as a foreign language as well as non-Thai speakers generally. But the trend now, especially among the progressive lecturers that I have studied with, is to transcribe rather than simply transliterate so that the romanised spelling would actually reflect how a word is supposed to be pronounced. As anyone would agree, this makes complete sense but official change is slow and the last major attempt at revising the RTGS was in 1999 I believe. In addition to the Thai language being a highly political and sensitive issue, these matters come under the purview of the Royal Institute of Thailand and that's all I can say about it. ;)

christianpfc
August 21st, 2017, 12:08
Of course there is a sound after the 'o' - it's an unaspirated 'k' sound so the correct utterance for the Thai word for island is kok (low tone). It's what you get when you combine the middle class consonant ก with the short vowel เ–าะ. So เกาะ is pronounced kok (low tone) or kɔ̀ʔ (IPA). I think what you meant to say is that there is no final or ending consonant and not that there is no sound.

To pronounce it as ko, koh or kho (as in co-ed, co-op) would be inaccurate but I have heard farangs say Co-Phuket, Co-Samui, etc and Thais are able to understand them from context.

There is a glottal stop (IPA ʔ) at the end, but no k sound.

None of the various books on Thai language that I read write "kok", google says "Showing results for koh samui Search instead for kok samui", and I have never heard it pronounced "kok".

Koh is misleading (in German, the h shows that the preceding vowel is pronounced long, but in Koh the o is short). There is no way to represent the short low tone o.

FarangRuMak
August 21st, 2017, 19:34
Phuket has the long 'poo' vowel.
In the english the 'h' is inserted to emphasise this but many foreigners combine the 'Ph' to make the 'F'sound as in 'physical'.
Thus my friend tells me that he did a lot of f___ing in Fucket.