PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie to Thailand

Omega
July 18th, 2017, 03:27
Hello all :)

I'm a 34 yo single gay guy, planning on travelling to Thailand over Christmas and New Years.

I've never travelled alone before, and never been to Thailand, so I'm doing my research now and getting prepared :)

My plan at the moment is to stay in Bangkok from 20th to 26th Dec, then go to Pattaya, till the 30th, then go to Patong for a week.

My plans to go to Patong is pretty set in stone. The rest is open to change.

Would you recommend Bangkok and Pattaya? Should I look else where? People have mentioned Chiang Mai. Are there any recommended tours I should do?

I might go to a GO-GO bar once but I'm more looking for a good old fashioned party.

The other big question I have is about whether I can bring PrEP medication with me into Thailand without problem? Do I need a prescription? At the moment the cheapest way to buy PrEP is to buy online - with no prescription needed.

Any advice greatly appreciated :D

Mickp
July 18th, 2017, 03:38
I was going to say that you should spend more time in Pattaya than Bangkok until I saw that your more a party guy than a pay for sex guy? I could be wrong by my perception.

Pattaya is more pay for bars and money boys and old sex tourists

Bangkok and I guess Patong would be more your cup of tea if you arent willing to pay for sex or like Go Go bars.

If your a party guy like you say then Bangkok has the nightclubs and dance clubs and I imagine at 34 if your in good shape you can pick up free sex but in Pattaya you will be paying.

Of course you can bring Prep and just in case bring your prescription too

Omega
July 18th, 2017, 04:03
Well maybe I'll look for somewhere else than Pattaya. I'm not really into paying for sex :D

Any other recommendations for the Pattaya section of my trip?

DrewSpz
July 18th, 2017, 04:46
Hey there,
I'm 31 and in good shape. But I went to Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket) for the first time and you know what... I like the GoGo bars. The boys are nice guys, you can choose the sexiest boy that's exactly what you like and for a super cheap price (that really helps them make ends meet) you can do whatever you want to him (in a good way).

I found Bangkok overpriced in comparison, hotels, food, drinks, boys, etc. something to keep in mind is even if someone isn't a money boy, he might still be wanting something from you. It's not so taboo or thought of in the same way in Thailand.

Have fun!!!!!

goji
July 18th, 2017, 05:32
The plan seems fine. Just remember to book your hotels in good time, since this is peak season.

Tintin
July 18th, 2017, 13:00
I agree with DrewSpz. It would be crazy to go to Thailand and then to avoid the one thing that is really exceptional there: The super friendly boys from the bars that, for a small fee, do whatever it takes to make you happy. So, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, enjoy the company of the boys and let them "take care of you". And there is no better place for that then Pattaya.

frequent
July 18th, 2017, 13:08
I agree with DrewSpz. It would be crazy to go to Thailand and then to avoid the one thing that is really exceptional there: The super friendly boys from the bars that, for a small fee, do whatever it takes to make you happy. So, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, enjoy the company of the boys and let them "take care of you". And there is no better place for that then Pattaya.Don't forget to post it all on Facebook so your family, friends and workmates will know you're a sex tourist who uses prostitutes

Tintin
July 18th, 2017, 13:16
It may be that Thailand as a holiday destination has a certain reputation. If so, then there is no need to post anything on facebook, as they all know it anyway.

frequent
July 18th, 2017, 13:22
It may be that Thailand as a holiday destination has a certain reputation. If so, then there is no need to post anything on facebook, as they all know it anyway.Isn't that the whole point of Facebook - you live your entire life in a frenzy of "look at me", trading away any semblance of privacy so that targeted advertising payments can line the pockets of Mark Zuckerberg? If people "know it anyway" why post anything at all?

newalaan2
July 18th, 2017, 16:30
Isn't that the whole point of Facebook - you live your entire life in a frenzy of "look at me", trading away any SEMBLANCE OF PRIVACY so that targeted advertising payments can line the pockets of Mark Zuckerberg? If people "know it anyway" why post anything at all?

Facebook and twitter......basically state surveillance agencies staffed by gullible volunteers.

or A Stasi for the Angry Birds generation... (Stewart Lee quote).

To the OP, you can't really go on 'recommendations' as there would be such a wide range of differing opinions and age groups offering them. You would be better to keep up the searches on here and other gay Thailand forums and use it to come to your own conclusions of what and where would be best for you.

Smiles
July 18th, 2017, 16:54
Well maybe I'll look for somewhere else than Pattaya.
And you're "looking somewhere else than Pattaya" decision is based on a post from MickP??

:air_kiss::air_kiss::dirol_mini::dirol_mini::p HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa :D:D:D:)):lol:

OK, pardon me, wiped my tears. I almost fell down.

Never been to Thailand? Go to all those towns you mentioned in your own opening post. You can't go wrong anyway as the three places have very large gay scene ... by far more than any other place in Thailand. And ... each place is somewhat different than the other, at least a little.
Visiting them all will help you on a second trip (if there is one) and will whittle down your favourites.

Very good hint from Goji: book accommodation well in advance, especially over the periods Christmas thru New Years.

(S'cuse me, I have to go laugh again. Bigly! MickP?? hahahahahahahaha)

Omega
July 18th, 2017, 18:31
Well, as I said, I'm planning to sample the delights of a go-ho bar at least once for the bucket list... but I was a little put off by the "full of old men and money boys" comment.

I'm a big fan of gay culture, only like to go to places with gay scenes. Pattaya seemed to be a good choice since I was planning to spend Christmas in Bangkok and NYE in Phuket, and I wanted to squeeze a little more in.

But if all the gay scene is in Pattaya is older westerners buying sex from young Thais, I feel like I might as well get that in Patong and take in the more mixed crowd at the same time.

That said, I've settled on a hotel in jomtien rather than Pattaya itself...

I've already booked accommodation and flights though I can cancel the accommodation with no charge if my plans change.

How would you describe the differences between the scenes? Are there any non-gay scene things I should defintely look to do?

arsenal
July 18th, 2017, 20:54
Omega: You should definitely look to have sex with C... from Nice Boys, he's fantastic and you should also look to have dinner with Mickyboy. He's a bizillionaire and so he'll probably pay. He likes to be called 'Sweetie." Make sure you don't mix those two up or the consequences would too dire to contemplate.

Tintin
July 19th, 2017, 03:48
I'm a big fan of gay culture, only like to go to places with gay scenes. Pattaya seemed to be a good choice since I was planning to spend Christmas in Bangkok and NYE in Phuket, and I wanted to squeeze a little more in.

All three places have their advantages and disadvantages. Bangkok is obviously the best place for its non-commercial gay scene. But after a while you will find that it's not that easy to get in touch with local guys. Most probably you will find yourself confined in a ghetto with other gay tourists from all over the world (such as in DJ Station and Babylon sauna), which is not necessarily a bad thing, but is this really what you are looking for when you travel all the way to Thailand?

On the other hand in Pattaya it's super easy to get in touch with local guys (although nowadays they tend to come from Cambodia as well as from Thailand, especially around Jomtien complex), but you have to be prepared to pay a fee, and yes, there are many elderly westerners milling around.

So follow the advice of Smiles, try all the places for yourself, and see what suits you best!

DrewSpz
July 19th, 2017, 04:17
There's a cool elephant reserve in Pattaya. Check it out. And Pattaya's gay scene is cool, there are fun shows etc. I'm guessing you should stay away from sunee plaza as that's kind of run down purely pay for sex. But you'll dig the vibe in boyztown and jomtien. At least a one time visit. I absolutely loved my first trip there earlier this year and I'm going back in about a month.

frequent
July 19th, 2017, 05:19
you have to be prepared to pay a feeWhy so coy? They're prostitutes and you're paying them

Omega
July 19th, 2017, 05:56
Thanks! This is the kind recommendations I'm looking for.

I'm not anti-prostitution as such.,, I just have this ego trip thing where I need to know a guy is into me. Yes I realise that time is my enemy on this... but I'm still a pretty youthful looking guy lol. Paying for sex just feels like admitting I'm can't pull a cute twink on my own merits lol. I kinda expect in 10 or so years I'll be either in a happy relationship where that stuff isn't a concern or I'll be still hunting Twinks and paying for the pleasure.

What else is Pattaya? Like I've booked a flight from Bangkok to Phuket on the 30th... I need to fill the 10 days and I think I'll get bored if I just stay in Bangkok the whole time. I'm looking for guided tours, but most seem a bit shit.

An elephant reserve is the kinda stuff I'm looking for recommendatios about. The nightlife is one thing... but I'm not a laze about the pool/beach kinda guy.

Tourist traps don't bother me at the moment. This is my first time traveling alone... I'm not keen on ending up in a jungle village with a backpack and nobody speaking English.

Mickp
July 19th, 2017, 06:48
Phuket , Koh Samui etc may better suit you and on Grindr you might meet French, Aussie and Uk guys or guys from Singapore etc looking to hook up for free sex.

Plus the islands are full in party mode although you are not 24 anymore your still youngish

cdnmatt
July 19th, 2017, 06:56
Why not check out Chiang Mai for a bit? Excellent city.

NitNoi
July 19th, 2017, 11:35
Make a friend in Pattaya. Forget "prostitution", there are "good time guys" happy to help you enjoy your vacation. This is their life style so you do need to pay.
The "boyfriend experience" WILL be an option for you. Enjoy.

catawampuscat
July 19th, 2017, 11:46
The websites like gayromeo and Hornet are full of Thai guys. Gayromeo also full of old men
looking for young guys, so Hornet probably best for younger fitter guys. You will be overwhelmed
with cute guys looking for sex.

frequent
July 19th, 2017, 11:59
Forget "prostitution", there are "good time guys" happy to help you enjoy your vacation. This is their life style so you do need to pay.

"Prostitution is the business or practice of engaging in sexual activity in exchange for payment either as money, goods, services, or some other benefit"

You'll find lots of guys here who live in a fantasy world where paying someone (who will inevitably refer to you to others as his "customer") isn't actually prostitution. That is so because the reality of what they are doing is too hard to bear. Paying for sex in Thailand is a crime known as prostitution even though prosecutions are rare

Like you, they want to pretend that the guy really is "into" them and the money is simply to "help" the guy in some unspecified "lifestyle" way

As you'll appreciate, having sex for free with someone old enough to be your father, grandfather or even great grandfather is as popular with Thai boys as Western guys

Omega
July 19th, 2017, 18:45
Maybe I found the wrong forum to ask this on lol

Can we move away from focusing on where the sex can be best found...?

Like, what do you guys do during the day?
Are there any tours or activities I should do while I'm in any of the three places?

a447
July 19th, 2017, 19:23
Well, if you believe frequent, then I suppose many spend the day going to confession.

arsenal
July 19th, 2017, 19:29
Hire a motorbike, don't drive like an arsehole but like you would in a western country and see where the road takes you. That's the best fun to be had in Thailand. Fact.

Frequent and I agree on virtually nothing. However everything he says about sex in Thailand is correct and virtually everything from the others is fantasy.

FarangRuMak
July 19th, 2017, 22:29
It's an old saying "seldom give advice" but I assume that it refers to unsolicited advice.
Do your own thing within safe limits like get lost in Bangkok or get pissed in Sunnee.
You will be surprised what it can lead to; "by indirection find direction out" (the Bard I think).
By all means go with money boys.
Never go with the "I can take care of myself/I want a relationship" guys.
So many of my acquaintences did that over the years and now they're in an open prison being bullied and watched by an over-weight ass'ole and his greedy family.

jpr42
July 20th, 2017, 00:25
I am returning to BKK for my second trip in late November through mid December and was planning to go to Pattaya, but I've been reading so many negative comments that I believe that I will bypass it.

Instead, sine I am traveling by myself, I intend to hire an English speaking guide-companion for a couple of days to show me the city, which I missed last time, introduce me to good places to eat (i used to own 2 restaurants in NYC, and guide me through the maze of the bars, clubs and shows. Being an older guy (74) I never push myself on younger boys (my motto being 3 years either side of 20!). So if something happens it happens.

Here in LA I have no problem having/getting sex so I don't anticipate that being an issue in BKK either--but certainly get on Truvada (Prep) before you leave at least a week before, I believe is suggested. I intend to be STD tested before and after the trip as well--just to be certain.

I'll be at Babylon and hope that I haven't made a mistake in that choice--we shall see. My last trip was at the Peninsula hotel, which was very nice and full of Japanese,American and European families. This experience will be just the opposite.

Mickp
July 20th, 2017, 02:49
I am returning to BKK for my second trip in late November through mid December and was planning to go to Pattaya, but I've been reading so many negative comments that I believe that I will bypass it.

Instead, sine I am traveling by myself, I intend to hire an English speaking guide-companion for a couple of days to show me the city, which I missed last time, introduce me to good places to eat (i used to own 2 restaurants in NYC, and guide me through the maze of the bars, clubs and shows. Being an older guy (74) I never push myself on younger boys (my motto being 3 years either side of 20!). So if something happens it happens.

Here in LA I have no problem having/getting sex so I don't anticipate that being an issue in BKK either--but certainly get on Truvada (Prep) before you leave at least a week before, I believe is suggested. I intend to be STD tested before and after the trip as well--just to be certain.

I'll be at Babylon and hope that I haven't made a mistake in that choice--we shall see. My last trip was at the Peninsula hotel, which was very nice and full of Japanese,American and European families. This experience will be just the opposite.

Welcome to the board Sweetheart,,Loved reading your post.

I have found it very positive and way different from the normal old 74yo's on here who do nothing but whine and complain and bitch at everything !

You must be in good shape to get free sex in the USA?
What was Babylon like on your first visit?

Moses the Moderator has a tour guide Company of lovely guides should you be wanting them.www.siamroads.com

Hope yoou have a great time :kiss:

sglad
July 20th, 2017, 07:59
Hey there,

...something to keep in mind is even if someone isn't a money boy, he might still be wanting something from you. It's not so taboo or thought of in the same way in Thailand...

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Omega
July 20th, 2017, 15:42
So many of my acquaintences did that over the years and now they're in an open prison being bullied and watched by an over-weight ass'ole and his greedy family.

Could you expand on this? What should I be on look out for?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Yes, I too am intrigued!

Hire a motorbike, don't drive like an arsehole but like you would in a western country and see where the road takes you. That's the best fun to be had in Thailand. Fact.

Frequent and I agree on virtually nothing. However everything he says about sex in Thailand is correct and virtually everything from the others is fantasy.

Motorbike might be off the menu; I don't have a license for it. And almost every travel website that talks about transport always caveats their advice about motorbikes with many warnings 😂

arsenal
July 20th, 2017, 15:51
Well Omega with no interest in motorbiking around and no interest in sex, exactly what are you going to Thailand for? Temples!

Smiles
July 20th, 2017, 16:35
Well Omega with no interest in motorbiking around and no interest in sex, exactly what are you going to Thailand for? Temples!
Omega is a higher moral man and writes in higher moral tones ... unlike yourself!
Evidence for that? Omega would never use the word "arsehole" in a sentence. (As I never would).
Take a lesson, dude!

arsenal
July 20th, 2017, 16:57
"Take a lesson, dude!': Snarled Smiles, fresh from doing his 1970s cop show impression. Who loves ya baby?
Haha.

FarangRuMak
July 20th, 2017, 20:11
Omega-
You asked me to expand on my advice regarding the need to avoid the "I can take of myself/relation ship" guys.
The disparity of wealth and income between you and your prospective Thai darling creates an unequal dynamic.
I have no faith in Gay relationships formed in this atmosphere.
If you want to forge a mutual partnership do so within your own culture as an interaction among equals.
Even then it will be thorny as many gays are highly prone to the female hissy-fit impulse.
You may be one of these yourself so you're therefore unaware of the fact.
When in Thailand enjoy the fantasy.
Somebody once wrote that Disneyland is modeled on Thailand.

sglad
July 20th, 2017, 20:14
"Take a lesson, dude!': Snarled Smiles, fresh from doing his 1970s cop show impression. Who loves ya baby?
Haha.

Like Charlie's Angels? They show re-runs in the afternoons here. Which Angel do you think he'd be - the anal Sabrina Duncan or would he be more like Bosley?

sglad
July 20th, 2017, 20:36
By all means go with money boys.

If the metaphorical prison is open, why don't they just leave? They're the ones paying the bills after all. For every greedy money-boy you dump I'd imagine that there'd be a dozen new ones fresh from the village willing to take his place.

FarangRuMak
July 20th, 2017, 20:46
My "open prison" is not metaphorical at all for the farangs invloved in oppressive relationships. Yes, they can walk around openly but in an ankle-tagged kind of way.
I'm all for the money boy system because it does self-replenish all the time.
It's an illusion but a nice illusion.

sglad
July 20th, 2017, 20:50
My "open prison" is not metaphorical at all for the farangs invloved in oppressive relationships. Yes, they can walk around openly but in an ankle-tagged kind of way.

Yeah I got you but why do your friends remain in such abusive relationships? Why don't they just pick up their wallets and leave?

Omega
July 20th, 2017, 21:35

Don't mistake my lack of desire to pay for sex as a lack of desire for sex. I'll be looking for it, but it'll be with other tourists or local boys who're actually gay and not looking for tips. Maybe I'll find what I'm looking for, maybe I won't... but that's why I've asked here so I can be pointed in the best place to find it!

What I'm going to Thailand for? Culture, parties and experiences.

Motorbiking just won't be one of them

whitemouse
July 20th, 2017, 22:43
Omega, you seem to think paying for sex is beneath you, cos you are young and never have to pay. If you stay in Bangkok, and are reasonably good looking you can score local guys, and they don't expect to be paid. Problem is, the guy needs to be into you, you can't simply pick a guy who you like. So that will limit your choices massively, unless you are seriously good looking. But for a small tip you get to pick pretty much who you like. Think of the 1000 or so baht as a tip, just as you tip a waiter, and you can pick up very handsome locals.

I wouldn't count on meeting foreigners for sex, tourists are usually looking for locals, and are not interested in another foreigner, again, unless you look devastatingly handsome like MikeP. Young Russians who I see in Pattaya Boyztown are usually feminine, and compared to locals very out of shape. If foreigners is who you like, much bigger selection where you live. There are Arabs in Pattaya, they look very, very tasty but nearly impossible to score, they move in hordes, very difficult to approach.

But you will tip here, I'm pretty sure, you'll see very quickly how it works here, you will like a guy who expects a tip, and you'd be fool not to go with him. Unless you really are here for temples.

arsenal
July 20th, 2017, 23:12
whitemouse wrote:
"There are Arabs in Pattaya, they look very, very tasty."

Did you mean kebabs. Some excellent grilled food is to be had from the guy who works next to the old Sammy's Bar at the end of Sunee. The chicken and pineapple skewer is delicious.

FarangRuMak
July 20th, 2017, 23:22
Yeah I got you but why do your friends remain in such abusive relationships? Why don't they just pick up their wallets and leave?
They're not friends as such, more friends of friends.
I often say what you wrote; why don't they walk away.
It's not as easy to walk away from a native ass'ole as you might think.
More often the farang is thrown out of a home that he paid for.
One guy I do know personally is involved in a bar with one of these "boyfriends" and he simply can't afford to leave. The abuse is relentless face to face and on the phone and is contrived to control. Without the "farang" this ass'ole would not get a bar to manage from a Thai landlord.
However this does not apply to every case but it does to far too many in my opinion.

Omega
July 21st, 2017, 02:05
Omega, you seem to think paying for sex is beneath you, cos you are young and never have to pay. If you stay in Bangkok, and are reasonably good looking you can score local guys, and they don't expect to be paid. Problem is, the guy needs to be into you, you can't simply pick a guy who you like. So that will limit your choices massively, unless you are seriously good looking. But for a small tip you get to pick pretty much who you like. Think of the 1000 or so baht as a tip, just as you tip a waiter, and you can pick up very handsome locals.

I wouldn't count on meeting foreigners for sex, tourists are usually looking for locals, and are not interested in another foreigner, again, unless you look devastatingly handsome like MikeP. Young Russians who I see in Pattaya Boyztown are usually feminine, and compared to locals very out of shape. If foreigners is who you like, much bigger selection where you live. There are Arabs in Pattaya, they look very, very tasty but nearly impossible to score, they move in hordes, very difficult to approach.

But you will tip here, I'm pretty sure, you'll see very quickly how it works here, you will like a guy who expects a tip, and you'd be fool not to go with him. Unless you really are here for temples.

With respect, I think you're reading my posts and applying your own moral judgements to my statements.

In my mind there is a gulf of difference between not being interested in paying for sex, and thinking it beneath me.

Since I'm not coming with sex as the first thing on my mind, I'm not really counting on meetings anyone for sex, but like at home I remain open to opportunities.

I intend to sample a go-go bar for the experience, so yes, I expect I'll end up paying a tip for something sexual even if it's just a show.

So are there any tips, tricks and hints people would part with me that don't involve a discussion about sex?

whitemouse
July 21st, 2017, 04:53
I'm a 34 yo single gay guy, planning on travelling to Thailand over Christmas and New Years.

/snip/

The other big question I have is about whether I can bring PrEP medication with me into Thailand without problem? Do I need a prescription?

One of your biggest concerns is Prep meds, but sex isn't big thing on your trip? Alright, my mistake.

Seriously tho, use condoms here. Have a great trip!

chillnorther
July 21st, 2017, 05:32
Practically speaking, go to 7-11 to break thousand baht notes until you learn to remove xxx900 baht from ATM's, know that Tiger Balm or similar products are usually good for repairing or preventing mosquito bites, eat white rice immediately after any dishes that set your mouth aflame, and add 5-8 years to the ages of any non-trade young men you meet on Hornet or Grindr. They'll still be reasonably cute and laudably intent on seeing you have a good holiday.

Omega
July 22nd, 2017, 02:23
One of your biggest concerns is Prep meds, but sex isn't big thing on your trip? Alright, my mistake.

Seriously tho, use condoms here. Have a great trip!

Is the world always so binary to you? It seems in your mind that I must be coming to Thailand for sex, or I'm not going to have any sex.

Is it not possible that I'm going to Thailand to see the sights, soak up the culture and enjoy a good party?

Practically speaking, go to 7-11 to break thousand baht notes until you learn to remove xxx900 baht from ATM's, know that Tiger Balm or similar products are usually good for repairing or preventing mosquito bites, eat white rice immediately after any dishes that set your mouth aflame, and add 5-8 years to the ages of any non-trade young men you meet on Hornet or Grindr. They'll still be reasonably cute and laudably intent on seeing you have a good holiday.

Good tips, thanks :)

Mickp
July 22nd, 2017, 02:32
Is the world always so binary to you? It seems in your mind that I must be coming to Thailand for sex, or I'm not going to have any sex.

Is it not possible that I'm going to Thailand to see the sights, soak up the culture and enjoy a good party?

Good tips, thanks :)

Omega , Well just like White mouse you have me confused too Darl
You asked about bringing the Prep meds so obviously we all gathered you were going to take it up the Ass sweetheart , but instead yiur going to see the sights and soak up the culture? (With the Prep)

scottish-guy
July 22nd, 2017, 03:13
He'll be soaking up the culture till his arse bleeds

Omega
July 22nd, 2017, 03:22
Wow.

Friendly crowd here.

No wonder you're all talking about paying for sex.

whitemouse
July 22nd, 2017, 03:34

This is why it is important to use quality lubricant, and resist temptation of cheap coconut oil.

Mickp
July 22nd, 2017, 03:58

Omg LOL :D.:lol:

I think I woke up my neighbours on this fine Saturday morning ! Lol

Tintin
July 22nd, 2017, 04:13
Omega: For sightseeing in Thailand there are basically two options: a) visit the country side, and b) experience the big city (Bangkok).

For a) you could follow the blog of our member ChristianPFC, who traveled to every corner of Thailand:
www.christianpfc.blogspot.com

For b) I would suggest to check out the services of the Bangkok Vanguards. They let you see their city "through the eye of the local and to understand the challenges of an Asian megacity in the 21st century":
www.bangkokvanguards.com
www.bangkokvanguards.com/experiences/bangkok-three-sixty

cdnmatt
July 22nd, 2017, 04:36
Just a quick remark. As for soaking in the culture, I get that, but please know that takes years, and definitely isn't going to happen in a couple weeks. For example, I remember before people would always come up to me, say hi, start chatting me up and asking various questions... where you from, what are you doing, why do you walk, where do you live, why are you always alone, when when will you go back to your country?, etc....

Now I'm in the furthest thing from a tourist area, so if you're from the West and someone begins questioning you like that out of the blue, you're going to feel like they're interrogating you. When in reality, they're just being good Buddhists, are a little worried / curious about you, and want to ensure you're ok. They have only good intentions, but if you're from the West, you're naturally going to ask yourself, "what the hell does he/she want from me?", when in reality they're just ensuring you're ok.

That type of conditioning the West gives us takes years to strip away, and definitely won't happen during a 2 week vacation.

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 04:48
They're not friends as such, more friends of friends.
I often say what you wrote; why don't they walk away.
It's not as easy to walk away from a native ass'ole as you might think.

No, I don't think that. What you've described is classic battered wife's syndrome. Only this is worse because as a foreigner your friend has no rights whatsoever. If there's physical abuse and he goes to the police, they'll probably laugh him off and then call the Thai spouse and demand half of whatever he's getting from the old man in return for not taking action. Out of curiosity, are there farang-run support services for people being abused like your friend in the city where he is located? Trained support staff who can provide guidance and a listening ear? I'm not 100% sure but I think Chiang Mai has services like that but it would likely be run by missionaries or a faith-based organisation.

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 04:51
This is why it is important to use quality lubricant, and resist temptation of cheap coconut oil.

People use coconut oil? :lol:

Mickp
July 22nd, 2017, 04:51
Your right Matty dear , reminds me of the time I saw this American guy drop his wallet in the Hilton Hotel Pattaya.

I had just come back from a day out so was still dressed in shirts and a T shirt.

I walked up to him proud that I could give his wallet back to him, As he was talking to a group of his friends all dressed up , I first said to the arrogant prick "hello how are you "

He stopped and looked me up and down with a snarly look , Probaly my long blonde wig and lipstick didnt fit into his circle,and said in his arrogant American accent

"Do I know YOU ?????????

I said no ya dont honey!!

Then one of his friends piped in "This is a private party pal "

"Ok hope you have a great time I said to them smiling .

Then I went up to my room opened the wallet to see over 40,000 baht in cash plus numerous credit cards !!!
Credit cards in the bin pet , cash in my purse:))

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 04:54

Yes, it's possible but what do you mean by 'party'?

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 05:23

Some very broad generalisations here. No, you don't have to be "massively goodlooking" for someone to be attracted to you. If that were the case, only very goodlooking people would be having free sex. Rarely a day passes on these boards without some lumpy 80-year-old claiming that he is getting free sex from a nubile 19-year-old; are you suggesting that they are lying? Ahem.

Of course Omega might hit it off with someone based on mutual attraction. This is hardly a newsworthy phenomenon and I don't know why some are finding it so difficult to accept. People are attracted to each other, hit it off and hook up every minute of the day and most are not drop-dead gorgeous. Sure, he can pick a guy from a line up and pay him a 1000B for sex but the odds of him having a good time is unlikely to be the same as someone who is naturally attracted to him and mutually sought him out in the first place. Not everyone is contented with having sex with a guy who needs to whip out his mobile to watch porn in order to get stimulated. That has to be one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard yet it seems to happen frequently around here. And they are paying the "phone whipper" for his time. Weird.

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 05:39
Your right Matty dear , reminds me of the time I saw this American guy drop his wallet in the Hilton Hotel Pattaya.

I had just come back from a day out so was still dressed in shirts and a T shirt.

I walked up to him proud that I could give his wallet back to him, As he was talking to a group of his friends all dressed up , I first said to the arrogant prick "hello how are you "

He stopped and looked me up and down with a snarly look , Probaly my long blonde wig and lipstick didnt fit into his circle,and said in his arrogant American accent

"Do I know YOU ?????????

I said no ya dont honey!!

You should have said, "Not really hun but you left your underwear in my room last night. Please come and get it back later." Then wink, turn, wiggle your bum and walk off. :lol:

whitemouse
July 22nd, 2017, 05:54
Some very broad generalisations here. No, you don't have to be "massively goodlooking" for someone to be attracted to you. If that were the case, only very goodlooking people would be having free sex.

Do not put words in my mouth, where did I say you have to be 'massively good looking' in order to have free sex? Quote me!

I said unless your are very good looking, your choices are limited, you'll go with guys who chose you. If you are willing to pay, you choose who you pick. If you are willing to pay, you can play in higher than your own league.

Besides, I was being kind, I left out that if you are hoping to pick up best guy in a club, a guy you really are after, your exact type, not only do you have to be extremely attractive (maybe Omega is), you better be under 25.

Your 'phone whipper' stuff has nothing to do with me, nor my post, no need to quote me in order to describe your experiences with phones.

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 06:00
Your cell phone whipper stuff has nothing to do with me, nor my post, no need to quote me in order to describe your experiences with phones.

Ring! Ring! :lol:

frequent
July 22nd, 2017, 07:41
When in reality, they're just being good BuddhistsThey're just being nosey

frequent
July 22nd, 2017, 07:44
This is why it is important to use quality lubricant, and resist temptation of cheap coconut oil.I use cheap champagne - doesn't everyone?

sglad
July 22nd, 2017, 11:49
I use cheap champagne - doesn't everyone?

Even cheap champagne can become expensive if it's used to lubricate a large orifice.

scottish-guy
July 22nd, 2017, 14:35
Hence he always buys a Jeroboam, uses the contents as lube and the empty bottle as a butt plug

sydneyboy
July 22nd, 2017, 17:39
Omega
We were newbies to Thailand once and I hope you separated the wheat from the chaff and found some of the comments to your sensible thread of benefit.

FarangRuMak
July 22nd, 2017, 18:05
Omega
We were newbies to Thailand once and I hope you separated the wheat from the chaff and found some of the comments to your sensible thread of benefit.
I was a newbie once and I'm an oldbie now and I still don't know how Mai or Tik or Mot is going to react to what I say or do.
Many S. E. Asians have genes from an extinct humanoid (not neanderthal) that Caucasians don't have.
This explains why the poor blind kid who sits near Tuk Com is far happier when I give him my 3 monthly saved loose change collection as is, rather than in paper notes. Believe me I've done it both ways.

Omega
July 23rd, 2017, 07:04
Omega

Thanks... yes a few tips. But not quite as helpful as I'd hoped. It seems some on here only have sex on the brain and can't see how someone else can have more than that in mind.

Omega
July 23rd, 2017, 07:12
This explains why the poor blind kid who sits near Tuk Com is far happier when I give him my 3 monthly saved loose change collection as is, rather than in paper notes. Believe me I've done it both ways.

If he's blind, maybe it's just easier for him to know what coins he has in his hand. Maybe he gets ripped off when he uses notes to buy things.

FarangRuMak
July 23rd, 2017, 08:04
I don't think so.
He's blind and poor but not stupid.
He handled the notes very dexterously.
But I would have to defer to our blind poster from the village to have the final word on this.

frequent
July 23rd, 2017, 08:13
The question you have to ask yourself is how blind Thai people cope with their near-monopoly of lottery ticket sales

NitNoi
July 23rd, 2017, 11:55
Memories of ideal experiences of young USA soldiers in Sydney for R&R during the Vietnam war.
My friend's girlfriend was a party animal. She enjoyed sex and was young and attractive.
You could call her a freelancer but that is not fair. She would hook-up with a GI and come to a financial arrangement to look after them for the length of their visit. She wasn't money hungry but needed to cover expenses.
"Normal girls" ( or boys) have a job and can't just take off a week or two.

I didn't always work as planned. After being paid she decided one "temporary boyfriend" would not be much fun. In the taxi to her apartment she said they needed milk and asked him to nip into a convenience store - then drove off!

When I was young and visited Thailand for the first time, this is what I was hoping to (and did) find. Relax, go with the flow, leave yourself open to possibilities and enjoy!

Mickp
July 23rd, 2017, 14:06
Memories of ideal experiences of young USA soldiers in Sydney for R&R during the Vietnam war.
My friend's girlfriend was a party animal. She enjoyed sex and was young and attractive.
You could call her a freelancer but that is not fair. She would hook-up with a GI and come to a financial arrangement to look after them for the length of their visit. She wasn't money hungry but needed to cover expenses.

I didn't always work as planned. After being paid she decided one "temporary boyfriend" would not be much fun. In the taxi to her apartment she said they needed milk and asked him to nip into a convenience store - then drove off!

When I was young and visited Thailand for the first time, this is what I was hoping to (and did) find. Relax, go with the flow, leave yourself open to possibilities and enjoy!

I love it when the American Navy come to Sydney , all that black cock in the sauna's !!! :yahoo_mini:

sglad
July 23rd, 2017, 14:59
I love it when the American Navy come to Sydney , all that black cock in the sauna's !!! :yahoo_mini:

Yes, one should always make an attempt to widen one's intercultural understanding and experiences. ;)

sglad
July 23rd, 2017, 15:13

Nice. Unfortunately some people take it all too seriously and make it much more than it really is. A visit to a go go bar becomes a religious experience, to be written about ad nauseam in a hundred different trip reports. The act of hiring a prostitute becomes an achievement when in effect it is no more of an achievement than walking into a supermarket and buying a can of sardines.

sglad
July 23rd, 2017, 15:24

Exactly.

Mickp
July 23rd, 2017, 15:54
Nice. Unfortunately some people take it all too seriously and make it much more than it really is. A visit to a go go bar becomes a religious experience, to be written about ad nauseam in a hundred different trip reports. The act of hiring a prostitute becomes an achievement when in effect it is no more of an achievement than walking into a supermarket and buying a can of sardines.

Maybe for you sweetheart !

But i am surprised the younger generation dont yet post it on Facebook

Moses
July 23rd, 2017, 15:59
Maybe for you sweetheart !

But i am surprised the younger generation dont yet post it on Facebook

They do, but it is hard to find: personal experiences are distributed at millions of accounts... Here everything is at one site and sorted by themes...