PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Hazard Hotspots - Thailand wins

wowpow
July 12th, 2006, 14:33
I did rather take exception to the newspaper articles on Thailand hazards. I went to the source and got the Press Release and that's much milder and less sensationalist then the World coverage - but still does no favours to Thailand's tourism industry. There is no in depth study of why and I suspect it is because Thailand attracts so many young backpackers on very long trips. Just making a comparison based on the numbers of UK tourists compared to the number of claims is over simplistic.

The original report was in the We are dropping like flies trail:
Emma Gunby, Monday July 10, 2006, The Guardian

Thailand is the most hazardous destination for British holidaymakers, where they are most likely to suffer food poisoning, theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings. A survey based on more than 60,000 claims made to Norwich Union in 2005 found travellers to South Africa were the most likely to suffer violent robberies or lose belongings in transit.

Austria was named the most likely place to suffer a skiing or snowboarding accident, and the Czech Republic had the highest number of claims for pickpocketing. The safest destination was Ireland, said Norwich Union.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1816704,00.html (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1816704,00.html)

================================================== ========

My response was: Total Non Sequitur : The conclusions are ludicrously and obviously wrong.

"Thailand is the most hazardous destination for British holidaymakers, where they are most likely to suffer food poisoning, theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings."
Norwich Union says that they get most claims from travellers to Thailand. That's because lots of Brits visit Thailand. Obviously places such as Somalia, East Timor and Iraq are much more hazardous. This sloppy, sensation seeking, mis- reporting is far too common in British Newspapers.

The actual Press Release from Aviva - - purveyors of Travel Insurance ( no surprise there then )

"10 July 2006, Norwich Union at Aviva

"Thailand, Mexico and South Africa are all top exotic holiday destinations for todayтАЩs travellers, but beware, today they are revealed as the most hazardous locations when it comes to illness, accidents and crime. As thousands of Brits prepare to jet off to sunny climes over the next few weeks, Norwich Union Travel Insurance has compiled a list of the countries most likely to pose a risk to tourists based on its extensive claims database.
It may be a star of the East but Thailand featured heavily as a hotbed for theft, tummy problems, traffic accidents and lost belongings
Sun-seekers in Mexico fell victim to the powerful rays with the highest number of claims for sun over-exposure
The perils of the tropics were highlighted by the Caribbean being the number one hotspot for insect bites and stings
A perfect safari destination, but South Africa comes out top for robbery with violence
Even good old British favourites, Spain and the Canaries donтАЩt escape the odd problem, both posing a risk for robbery and pick pocketing.

The study did reveal, however, that most of us enjoy a trouble-free trip. The safest places to holiday were in Western Europe, with Ireland coming ahead of Belgium, Holland, Germany and France.

Dawn McMullan, travel product manager at Norwich Union, says: тАЬThe purpose of our research is to not to worry tourists looking forward to their summer holidays, just to make them aware of what can go wrong when theyтАЩre away from home.

тАЬThe majority of holidays go off without a hitch, but we would advise everyone to take the same precautions abroad as they would here. ItтАЩs very easy to forget simple security measures when youтАЩre lying in the sun with a cocktail in your hand.

тАЬOur research shows that you need to take a little extra care in certain countries, and of course make sure you are adequately covered by travel insurance.тАЭ

While Norwich Union investigated claims from lost belongings to theft, gastric problems to sun exposure, the biggest cause of problems when abroad is unforeseen medical emergencies. If you are travelling within Europe the new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reduced cost (sometimes free) emergency medical costs. But it wonтАЩt cover all your costs and will not cover rescue or repatriation.

To ensure holidaymakers enjoy a hazard-free trip, Norwich Union has compiled some top tips for staying safe:

Lost/Misplaced belongings
Keep an eye on your belongings at all times. Do not leave them unattended and ensure you donтАЩt check in your valuables while travelling, keep them with you, in a safe place.
Theft
Lock belongings in a safe when in a hotel.

Be aware of open windows and doors in your villa or hotel room тАУ they attract opportunist thieves.
Robbery with violence
Be aware of your surroundings and look purposeful. Avoid looking lost, confused or distracted as this makes you an easier target for opportunist thieves.

Find out the emergency phone numbers used in the area you are visiting.
Tummy problems
Eat food that has been freshly prepared or thoroughly cooked, avoiding food that has been left standing for long periods.

Avoid ice in drinks in countries where you canтАЩt drink the tap water (often it is not made from bottled water).

Be aware that salads may also have been washed in tap water.

The top Holiday Hazard Hotspots, by type of incidents are:

at: http://www.aviva.com/index.asp?PageID=5 ... eyfm,intfm (http://www.aviva.com/index.asp?PageID=55&year=&newsid=2691&filter=corporate,csr,uklife,intlife,ukgeneral,intg eneral,morleyfm,intfm)

July 12th, 2006, 14:58
Sun-seekers in Mexico fell victim to the powerful rays with the highest number of claims for sun over-exposure

Typically British.

wowpow
July 12th, 2006, 15:38
Dear Rebecca Holmes,

I was very shocked to read a brief sensationalized report in The Guardian which sprang from your Press Release - copy below. Having now read your release I must say that I feel you went much too far in sections of the release. " It may be a star of the East but Thailand featured heavily as a hotbed for theft, tummy problems, traffic accidents and lost belongings " is much overstating the case and as you say further along most holidays go by without incident. Obviously you were encouraging people to take out travel insurance but I do urge you to be more circumspect in future. Reports similar to the Guardian have been published around the world and may well cause huge damage to major tourism economies, such as Thailand.

Your conclusions seem to be based on the numbers of claims that you received compared to the numbers of UK tourists to the countries concerned. I wonder if length of stay was thought about? Obviously Thailand is very popular with young persons on a year 'break' and it would be invidious to compare that with someone passing a weekend in Benidorm.

"тАЬThe purpose of our research is to not to worry tourists looking forward to their summer holidays, just to make them aware of what can go wrong when theyтАЩre away from home". I doubt that this was achieved.

Please do not underestimate the power of the Press or it's capacity to exaggerate beyond belief.

Thank you,

Then I attached a copy of my post.

July 12th, 2006, 19:16
they murder backpackers by the dozen there.

And didn't someone shoot 35 in one go in Tasmania ?