PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is wrong with doctors here?

cdnmatt
March 28th, 2017, 18:56
Starting to get on my nerves. Hopefully the doctors in Chiang Mai are better, because the ones here are assholes. I'm talking about KK Ram too, which is the fancy, private hospital in town that costs 30,000 baht/night for a room.

First you have my eye doctor who says he's not 100% certain about his diagnosis, and that it's just his "best guess". Then he says my vision is just fine as is, and offers me some vitamin supplements. Well.... sorry dudem byt we're talking about my eyesight here, so you're "best guess" doesn't really cut it.

Then Leo goes down for a general check up. I wanted to talk to the doctor too, but unfortunately got left sitting in the waiting room. Leo comes back, says he requested the blood test, and the doctor actually asked him in a mocking tone, "why? scared you're HIV+?", then said a blood test won't help, writes a prescription for some sinus medication, and sends him on his way with a bill for 2100 baht.

Ok, first we're concerned about vitamin deficencies and insulin levels, not HIV. But even if we were worried about HIV, what the fuck is it to him? He's a doctor. Doctors around here should be required to take the Hippocratic Oath every 3 months or something, because many of them have obviously forgot what it says.

Apparently you have to be half dead to get decent medical assistance here. I remember I had parasitic lice in my eye one time, went to the hospital 3 times, and each time was tols the doctor is not available, and to come back later. I ended up resolving it myself with dog shampoo of all things. Then I show up half dead, extremely fatigued, can barely walk. Sure enough, I have 3 doctors check me out, a blood test, x-ray and ultrasound all done with results in hand in about an hour. So they definitely have the capacity to take care of people, but just don't give a shit unless you're half dead.

So why the fuck can't Leo get a blood test? Becayse he's from Laos, or what? Again, hopefully Chiang Mai has better doctors, because I really don't feel like flying to Singapore every time we need to see a doctor.

Manforallseasons
March 28th, 2017, 19:14
Shit happens!

fountainhall
March 28th, 2017, 19:22
I'm talking about KK Ram too, which is the fancy, private hospital in town that costs 30,000 baht/night for a room
What on earth have you been drinking? There's absolutely no way a private room costs anywhere near Bt. 30,000/night! Last year Bumrungrad, arguably the most expensive Bangkok hospital, charged Bt. 11,200 which included daily room, board, nursing and Thai food. Bangkok Nursing Home was Bt. 8, 650, Bangkok General Hospital Bt. 7,590 and Samitivej Bt. 7,040. The smaller hospitals like St. Louis on Sathorn was Bt. 4,500.

Outside Bangkok, Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai was Bt. 3,870.

arsenal
March 28th, 2017, 19:55
Note to self. I must stop laughing at Matts' heartbreaking posts.
😭

Manforallseasons
March 28th, 2017, 19:59
Which Matt....1 or 2?

cdnmatt
March 28th, 2017, 20:10
\Well, I don't know. It was 4000 baht for the initial tests, 25,000 baht deposit to get admitted, and another 28,000 baht upon being discharged about 60 hours later.

What type of room are you talking about? Mine had a good TV, mini fridge, microwave, sofa, my own bathroom, a sofa that Leo slept on, and the whole bit. Is that the same room type you're talking about?

arsenal
March 28th, 2017, 20:11
Might I suggest a nice dinner at Yupins to cheer yourself up.
🦃 +🍷+🍮 = 🤗 (Happy Matt)

justaguy
March 28th, 2017, 20:27
I would report said doctor, suggesting a patient might be scared of HIV is not done. He would certainly not getting away with that on my bloody watch, what a tosser.

Whether or not he's from Lao should not make a difference, certainly not in a private hospital. My Lao boyfriend(s) get treated just fine in decent clinics/hospitals back in Bangkok.

Manforallseasons
March 28th, 2017, 21:49
https://youtu.be/A-QSz4R7mR0

fountainhall
March 28th, 2017, 21:52
What type of room are you talking about? Mine had a good TV, mini fridge, microwave, sofa, my own bathroom, a sofa that Leo slept on, and the whole bit. Is that the same room type you're talking about?
Yes!

lego
March 28th, 2017, 23:53
Matt, Bitcoin is at $900+, simply fly to Singapore and forget about these Thai wankers posing as M.D., I'd say!

Manforallseasons
March 29th, 2017, 00:06
Matt, Bitcoin is at $900+, simply fly to Singapore and forget about these Thai wankers posing as M.D., I'd say!

Whatever became of Bitcoin Bruce aka. Cheesecake....He had the shortest lifespan of any gay board in Thailand?

Nirish guy
March 29th, 2017, 00:18
We should perhaps all consider ourselves lucky about that particular fact based on his past form.

Mancs
March 29th, 2017, 05:04
Matt, why not this?

http://www.rutnin.com/2016/eng/contact.php

Up2U
March 29th, 2017, 08:04
Matt, why not this?

http://www.rutnin.com/2016/eng/contact.php
I use Rutnin regularly, far superior to what I had in America.

Yraen
March 29th, 2017, 09:23
Matt, I haven't used Rutnin directly but I did ask them for quotes for cataract and lens replacement surgery. They replied with "we don't do lens surgery any more" without any further explanation.

Having said that, they do have a pretty good rep.

I fail to understand why you are going to hospitals out in the "boonies" when Bangkok is only 4 hours down the highway. Yes, Bangkok Hospital and Bumrungrad can be expensive, but if you are trying to get your eyes fixed they would be your best bet.

Alternatively, as Lego said, jump a plane to Singapore and go to Queen Elizabeth Hosp.

francois
March 29th, 2017, 12:45
Alternatively, as Lego said, jump a plane to Singapore and go to Queen Elizabeth Hosp.

matt may have "visa" problems which preclude him from leaving/returning to Thailand.

FarangRuMak
March 30th, 2017, 00:49
Memorial hospital has served me and a few of my admired well at a reasonable cost with X-rays, pharmacy and treatment taken care of in-house.
On the other hand I went to a private thai doctor with a cough and he told me it was a cold, pneumonia, an infection or cancer and that he wasn't sure which.
I went to a clinic near Sunnee Plaza for a medical report required for my driving permit application. Heshe (Katoy doctor) asked me if I felt ok and I said yes and I got the cert there and then for a small fee.
I was pleased about that.
Sometimes I don't want another Switzerland.

goji
March 31st, 2017, 02:49
Then I show up half dead, extremely fatigued, can barely walk. Sure enough, I have 3 doctors check me out, a blood test, x-ray and ultrasound all done with results in hand in about an hour.

Having had such symptoms, I can say that part sounds much better than what you get on the UK NHS.

You are right to question their attitude ref Leo.

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2017, 15:50
Yeah, how he was treated was bullshit. I ended up diagnosing him myself as pre-diabetic, explained his diet requirements to him, and sure enough, that worked like a charm. He's back to being his happy, energetic self. I feel quite bad now by shrugging him off as just being lazy. Plus feel bad it took me so long to figure it out, especially since nearly my whole family on my mother's side has diabetes, so I'm very familiar with it.

Republicans in the US would love it out here. Get sick? Diagnose yourself! What a cost saving health care plan that would be.

christianpfc
April 1st, 2017, 11:35
The few times I had health problems, I got a quick, efficient, and comparatively cheap treatment. Praise the Thai health system! (Based on experience as a foreigner, going to private hospitals/doctors/pharmacies.)

werner
April 3rd, 2017, 13:40
I have only been to the hospital once in Thailand, but had a good experience.

Late one night about 25 years ago, I got knocked down by a tuk-tuk in the Silom area. [The accident was MY fault, because I did NOT look before I stepped out into the street.] The tuk-tuk hurried away, but several Thai guys immediately came over and helped me to the nearby hospital. The emergency doctor treated bloody wounds on my face and neck, and took x-rays. Everyone at the hospital was kind and professional. I do not remember the fees exactly, but I think they charged me only a few hundred baht. Two Thai guys that had helped me to the hospital waited during the examination, and took me back to the nearby Rose Hotel. The middle-aged lady that ran the Rose Hotel front desk winked at me as the two Thai guys helped me to my room. I suppose that she thought that they were my companions for the night.....

goji
April 4th, 2017, 01:31
Two Thai guys that had helped me to the hospital waited during the examination, and took me back to the nearby Rose Hotel.
That's commendable behaviour on their part.

I presume Thailand has a decent culture on these matters & if so, hope it's not challenged by the kind of perverse cases where people sue their helpers (as seen in China, for example).