PDA

View Full Version : THAIS CELEBRATE FRENCH DEFEAT IN GERMANY

July 10th, 2006, 06:30
I am back from a boozy night with a lot of Thai bar boys at the World Trade centre in Bangkok where there was a big TV screen showing the world cup final, about ten thousand half-drunk Thais and beer flowing like the Thames.
It wasnтАЩt just the group I was with but everyone there was cheering on the Italians and booing the French. I asked a few of the boys I was with what was so good about the Italians and the answer was all the same тАУ they are not French and whatтАЩs better is they are not German. Looks to me like they hated the Germans more than the French.
IтАЩve got a couple of the Thai boys staying with me over night so IтАЩll try to get some more information out of them tomorrow when theyтАЩve sobered up.
Anyone here had similar experience?

July 10th, 2006, 08:51
Yes Beth, this is quite a universal trend. I think not completely fair though. The French still make very good waiters, if you can find enough tall ones, but they are eating more and more western diets so it's getting easier and easier, that menus are no longer written in Frog is no problem they still look the part.
Then there is the croissant, even though it has as it's origins in the Muslim crescent, the French borrowed the receipt from the Austrians who stole it from the Middle East, but they perfected it's light texture , it was still the French that finaly gave it to us in the North.

Am I reading you correctly THE ITALIANS BEAT THE FRENCH? I am deliriously happy, it just sank in now. I have Bronchitis and promised so taped the match and Wimbledon, but you could not have given me better news.
Isn't it strange, no matter how careful you are it is just not possible to keep from hearing the result. This is excellent news though.

I picked up my maid this morning and the first thing she does is turn to me and say "thanks God Federer won Wimbledon" I have not yet even switched of the VCR. :blackeye:

The Thai love footie and play after work at any given opportunity. Maybe just like the rest of us they er, 'love' the French.[/b]

July 10th, 2006, 11:58
of watching some of the games with Thai guys was that they would watch the English, Brazilian and Argentinian matches with rapt attention and would also crowd for the other games (in lesser numbers). However, with these other games they would often lose interest once there was a certain score and go off an play pool. The reason being that they had been gambling on a certain result or scoreline and once it became obvious that they were not going to win their bet, they would lose interest.

What odds that the ponytail cut off after the final whistle (was it Camoranesi or Totti that received the impromptu haircut - I can't remember) will soon appear on ebay! And why did Gattuso have to change his shorts? More importantly, why couldn't it have been Totti stripping off?

July 10th, 2006, 12:44
bethnal - i was at that big screen 4 years ago and what a wonderful time it was. Cheap beer - big cold fans - zillions of cute thai men - heaven!

Did you have your face painted lol?

jolyjacktar
July 10th, 2006, 23:37
Hey slag whats with the Kray twins as a pic. You some kind of nonsy crook worshiper. They were a pair of slags too

July 11th, 2006, 00:40
I recognize that I'm in a minority on this board but, to me, the defeat of a multi-ethnic team by an all-white one is not a cause for celebration. I'm also in another minority in that I'm a season ticket holder at a Premiership club (Chelsea) and know something about football having watched the game for fifty years. And I can tell you that the better team lost.

Jetsam
July 11th, 2006, 01:44
This is hilarious :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

ZIDANE, ZIDANE (http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Sport/2006/07_Luglio/10/pop_zidane.shtml)

July 11th, 2006, 02:50
of watching some of the games with Thai guys was that they would watch the English, Brazilian and Argentinian matches with rapt attention and would also crowd for the other games (in lesser numbers). However, with these other games they would often lose interest once there was a certain score and go off an play pool. The reason being that they had been gambling on a certain result or scoreline and once it became obvious that they were not going to win their bet, they would lose interest.

What odds that the ponytail cut off after the final whistle (was it Camoranesi or Totti that received the impromptu haircut - I can't remember) will soon appear on ebay! And why did Gattuso have to change his shorts? More importantly, why couldn't it have been Totti stripping off?

the ponytail was from Camoranesi yup i dont know if he cutted it or put it free after the match
Gattuso had to change the shorts because he showed his ass (with underwear)

and of course the best team won! :cheers:

2: satisfactions
- beat Germany in their land (and their arrogance against italians before the match)
- won the final

cheers from an Italian soon in Thailand :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Impulse
July 11th, 2006, 03:15
I was greatly disappointed that the french lost,they were clearly the better team.I knew if it went to overtime the italians might get lucky with the shootoff and I was right. :blackknight:

July 11th, 2006, 03:24
I was greatly disappointed that the french lost,they were clearly the better team.I knew if it went to overtime the italians might get lucky with the shootoff and I was right. :blackknight:

as Brasil did with Italy in 1994.. now it was our turn.
If France was really better, they had to win. They had 120 minutes to score. They did not. why? because we have the best defense in the world!!! :cheers:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Fotogallery/Tagliate/2006/07_Luglio/09/ES/18.JPG

and shame on Zizou.. whatever Materazzi told him, it was the worst act in whole W.Championship. He could answer with words, but he was frustated and irritated that he could not do much during the game.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3822/cannonball6el.gif

Smiles
July 11th, 2006, 05:16
I thought the Italians beat France hands down in regular time. They also scored the only "real" goal of the game, which probably should be enough to award them victory anyway.
France played their best in overtime, but they could not overcome a great Italian defense, which also would be enough to give the game to Italy on skill and tactics.

It was an exciting game nonetheless, only disappointing in the fact that it needed the overtime shootout . . . as well as Zidane's disgraceful head butt (shown above).

Does anyone else think the overtime shootout ball placement is rather ludicrous?
I mean, surely to god the odds of getting a goal when you're in that close with no defense is very high indeed. So high in fact, that it seems to be extremely unfair to any goal keeper.
I understand that in the penalty shot, it makes sense to place the ball where the rules specify ~ it is, after all, supposed to be a penalty. But overtime is NOT a penalty situation (the teams have already proven they are equal), so I think the placement of the ball should be back further from the goal, so as to give the goalie a reasonable chance.

Deciding a game on a shootout where the outcome is (probably) 95% in favour of a goal being scored is rather ridiculous IMHO, and I think they should work out an overtime ball placement distance where the odds of scoring are a more reasonable (let's say) 50%.

Cheers ...

July 11th, 2006, 05:20
I recognize that I'm in a minority on this board but, to me, the defeat of a multi-ethnic team by an all-white one is not a cause for celebration.
What has the ethnicity got to do with it? Italy won with an Italian team. The French were so useless that they had to import a boat load of imigrants into the team and even so they lost.

I'm also in another minority in that I'm a season ticket holder at a Premiership club (Chelsea) and know something about football having watched the game for fifty years. And I can tell you that the better team lost.
If you have been supporting Chelsea for 50 years then its bloody obvious you know NOTHING about football. You got no self-respect. Chelsea (aka the Stamford Wankers) out of the 24 players in the first team there are only four who might be from London. The rest are all imports bought in from round UK and the rest of the world. Chelsea is owned by a Russian and managed by a Portuguese, they are not a London team, theyтАЩre a disgrace to the name of London.

Smiles
July 11th, 2006, 11:03
Bethnal, our distinguished board member Nelson would class an apple as a victim of white, neo-colonialist/imperialist Orchardists . . . simply because the poor old Macintosh ended up getting picked.

Just don't get him started on Palestinians. :sleepy1:

Cheers ...

July 11th, 2006, 13:47
... the case that the best team wins. One team may have many more shots on goal, have greater possession of the ball, have what may be termed more gifted players and yet still lose. You could say Brazil are better than France, but France still beat them. That is what football and all sport is about, if it was as predictable as you would like then the 'best' team would always win. However, it's all subjective, Italy had the best defence, Italy had slightly more possession of the ball, France had more shots on target, Italy scored more penalties in the shoot out. Italy are World Champions. Italy also won 6 out of seven games (one draw), France won 4 out of 7 games (two draws one loss).

Routes to the Final:
France 0 - 0 Switzerland
France 1 - 1 South Korea
France 2 - 0 Togo
France 3 - 1 Spain
France 1 - 0 Brazil
France 1 - 0 Portugal
Italy 1 - 1 France (Italy win 5-3 on penalties)
Italy 2 - 0 Ghana
Italy 1 - 1 USA
Italy 2 - 0 Czech Republic
Italy 1 - 0 Australia
Italy 3 - 0 Ukraine
Italy 2 - 0 Germany

Enuff said!

July 11th, 2006, 17:08
Bethnal your remarks about the boys in blue are a disgrace. I am a firm supporter of the Stamford wankers. Since when has a bit of international colour clouded the game of football in the Uk? You are living in cloud kakka land.

Is there anyone better to support this side of Kensington? You are a sore looser, perhaps you should ask nicely and Chelsea will forgive you, who cares about the rest of greater London. Anything that needs a tube is a wast of time.

I suppose you support Tottenham along with the peediddy lot wot corrupted my nephew. You are a disgrace. Granted a good cash flow is something that turns the English vile, but this is below the belt.

July 12th, 2006, 00:26
Smiles managed, once more, to bring a smile to my face. It is difficult to take seriously the views on football of someone who refers to "overtime". How long did it take him to work out that players are not allowed to pick the ball up and run with it? Not that my fellow-Briton, Bethnal Green, is much better. Supporters don't choose which team they support; they are born into it for good or ill. I stood on the terraces in 1956 with my father and in the following 49 years, we won very little. I watched them in a pitifully empty Stamford Bridge and today enjoy supporting the most successful team in the country. And I'm ecstatic at the jealousy our success inspires. Like all Premiership clubs without exception, today's Chelsea is multi-ethnic. Good.
Since Smiles raises the subject of Palestine, earlier today the Israelis killed three boys playing football in Gaza. Obviously terrorists.

Impulse
July 12th, 2006, 06:14
nelson,be lucky that people are interested in the world cup.So what if Smiles called it overtime,here in America most people dont know what the world cup is.And it is called soccer here,not football. :idea:

July 12th, 2006, 10:40
...Supporters don't choose which team they support; they are born into it for good or ill. I stood on the terraces in 1956 with my father and in the following 49 years, we won very little. I watched them in a pitifully empty Stamford Bridge and today enjoy supporting the most successful team in the country. And I'm ecstatic at the jealousy our success inspires. Like all Premiership clubs without exception, today's Chelsea is multi-ethnic. Good...

I agree in part that people are 'born' into their team, however, nowadays with so many matches broadcast throughout the country and worldwide, many outside the normal catchment areas of a team are drawn to the success of a certain team as seen on tv, they have less ties and are prone to mix and match teams - swopping last years success for next years success. My dear ole dad supported Man U' for god knows how long (and all us sons followed in his footsteps), after holding a season ticket for the best part of his life, in 1992 he finally gave up on dishing out the cash for no return in titles. 1993 Utd became the first team to win the premiership.

As for jealousy of Chelsea, I actuallly think most people in the country were extremely happy to see the duopoly broken (Man U and Arsenal) and have a third team win the Premiership. As a Utd fan I was just happy that Arsenal or Liverpool did not win and was impressed with Chelsea's play. However, Chelsea have a long way to go before they can consider themselves 'the most successful team in the country'. I think Liverpool and Man Utd would have something to say about that - Come back to me when you have won 15 League 1/Premiership titles, 11 FA Cups and 2 European Cup/Champions League trophies.

July 12th, 2006, 11:03
DELETED

Smiles
July 12th, 2006, 12:08
" ... Smiles managed, once more, to bring a smile to my face. It is difficult to take seriously the views on football of someone who refers to "overtime". How long did it take him to work out that players are not allowed to pick the ball up and run with it? ... "
Well I'm glad you picked up a laugh Nelson . . . god knows it's one of the first times I've "felt" you crack even the smallest semblence of one on these Boards.

Now let's be fair, the word "overtime" is (I guess) a proper and reasonable North American equivalent to "extra time", so the only real importance is that you know what I mean.

Now, if you'd read my post you'd realize I was writing about the distance of the 'placed' ball to the goal as being unfair . . . it's simply too short a distance to give even the best goal tender a fighting chance of stopping it. And I would be surprised if the stats on goals-scored-on-penalty-kicks (as opposed to blocked) don't back that up.

"Extra time" being not a penalty, but simply a way to finish off a game with an outright winner, then one would expect the method to be fair ... for the shooter as well as the goal tender. The short distance from ball to goal makes it unfair . . . as it treats the shot as equivalent to a penalty, which it definitely is not. My point was that (IMHO) the penalty shot and the extra time shot should be taken from different distances.

You ~ being a soccer expert (certainly more so than myself) ~ would do me an honour by addressing this observation with an opinion ( and which hopefully does not include variations on the notion that multi-ethnicity is the ultimate touchstone of human progress ~ and other forms of love-ins ~ and the inevitable overthow of the capitalist system by an endangered specie such as the Spotted Owl, Right Whale, or Chelsea supporters ).

Cheers ...

July 12th, 2006, 12:35
Fatman are you referring to glory hunters? I am often accused of this because I support Chelsea. But honestly they were just the closest team to my front door. I always feel a bit out of my depth shooting the breeze about football, and was tired of being asked what team I support, but now I can confidently say Chelsea. And then make a hasty retreat incase they start asking about particulars, names of players that sort of thing.

Smiles
July 16th, 2006, 11:08
I'm perturbed & surprised that Nelson has not given his thoughts on this outrageously unfair soccer rule.

Perhaps the recent Israeli self-defense initiatives have left him at a loss for words ... or logic.

Cheers ...