PDA

View Full Version : Bacco

arsenal
January 31st, 2017, 14:39
And so after a gentle trundle around the country lanes I headed to Bacco. It's an Italian restaurant located next door to The Glasshouse. Equally gorgeous in design but more European it boasts a wood fired pizza oven, a ten meter high wine 'cellar' and a suitably animated Italian chef. Complimentary grissini and ciabatta are served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The menu choice is huge but I had a pizza. Thin crispy base and topped with authentic mozzarella (buffalo milk) ham, porcini and artichokes. Over a foot wide it was pure pleasure to eat. The latte came with a little biscotti, that most moreish of coffee accompaniments. For a leisurely brunch, lunch or dinner it clearly rivals it's neighbour as a genuine destination restaurant. Thoroughly recommended.

sglad
January 31st, 2017, 19:22
I enjoy reading your pithy restaurant reviews, arsenal. Informative, inviting and over after one paragraph. :)

christianpfc
February 1st, 2017, 21:09
Sounds good.

But a look at google maps reveals it's way out of town, inaccessible unless you have your own ride or pay an exorbitant amount to be taken there by taxi from Pattaya.

mahjongguy
February 2nd, 2017, 05:30
The white songteow route on Sukhumvit will take you directly there.

arsenal
February 2nd, 2017, 08:37
That's half the fun Christian.

Had the lasagne and salad at Le Petite Planet. Very nicely presented and a generous serving it came with fresh French bread and butter. The taste was good but it was unfortunately overcooked so had a mushy texture. So of the three dishes I ate there all were executed poorly. Service can be well meaning but a little tiring and the staff can be on the loud side. This is a restaurant in need of a little tweak.

catawampuscat
February 2nd, 2017, 08:50
I had the lasagna last night at Fellini's on Pattayaland soi 1. Shared a huge mixed salad.
Best lasagna I've had in Thailand and piping hot from the oven. They also serve bread rolls, which
were hot and I believe baked in house. Very tasty .

Manforallseasons
February 2nd, 2017, 09:14
I had the lasagna last night at Fellini's on Pattayaland soi 1. Shared a huge mixed salad.
Best lasagna I've had in Thailand and piping hot from the oven. They also serve bread rolls, which
were hot and I believe baked in house. Very tasty .

Been there not memorable, if you want good lasagna go to Pan Pan (Jomtien location). I am anxious to try Bacco but unlike most posters living in or near Center Condo I have my own transportaion, other posters don't venture out of their very small world.

fountainhall
February 2nd, 2017, 09:39
Anyone interested in really splendid Italian food and a short trip outside the city should consider Da Marco. I have had two superb meals there. It is not exclusively Italian and includes Some Swiss cuisine and some Thai. But it is some way out and in the middle of nowhere. A great find, though.

http://www.da-marco.com

christianpfc
February 2nd, 2017, 10:42
The white songteow route on Sukhumvit will take you directly there.
That's 800 m from Sukhumvit to the restaurant. I wonder how many members would walk 800 m twice for a dinner. Even I would be reluctant to spend that much time just getting to and from a restaurant.

Restaurant reviews should include accessibility and price range.

sglad
February 2nd, 2017, 14:30
That's 800 m from Sukhumvit to the restaurant. I wonder how many members would walk 800 m twice for a dinner.

I think mahjongguy is suggesting that one takes a songtaew (a white one?) to the restaurant. Moreover there are other alternatives to walking: taxi, Uber and motorcycle taxi (do you have that in Pattaya?).

arsenal
February 2nd, 2017, 15:05
You're a young man Christian. Accessibility should not be your major concern regarding restaurants or their reviews.

MFAS: Just get on your bike and go. You won't be disappointed.

christianpfc
February 3rd, 2017, 08:58
I think mahjongguy is suggesting that one takes a songtaew (a white one?) to the restaurant. Moreover there are other alternatives to walking: taxi, Uber and motorcycle taxi (do you have that in Pattaya?).
All your suggestions will cost a fortune just to get to the place and back. 12 km by road from Tuk-Com, that would be about 120 Baht in Bangkok metered taxi, but in Pattaya you would probably have to pay 300.

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 09:10
All of my restaurant reviews, in fact all of my posts assume that one has a motorbike in order to enjoy the vast array of pleasures available within the Pattaya area. Or perhaps MFAS or Gerefan can let you ride pillion as you scoot along Jomtien Beach Road with the wind in your hair.

francois
February 3rd, 2017, 10:34
Or perhaps MFAS or Gerefan can let you ride pillion as you scoot along Jomtien Beach Road with the wind in your hair.

Wind in your hair? Meaning no helmet?

scottish-guy
February 3rd, 2017, 13:24
...scoot along Jomtien Beach Road with the wind in your hair.

Surely an impossible task for at least half our members, not to mention a significant number losing their wig on the journey

:yahoo_mini:

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 14:23
Francois: Uncool and not funny either. But typical of you lately.
Scottish: Haha. Yes. However I have spoken to the restaurant manager and he tells me baldies are welcome.

francois
February 3rd, 2017, 14:51
Quite right, arsenal, not funny dying in a motorbike accident.

MiniMee
February 3rd, 2017, 18:18
Wind in your hair - Chiang Mai style: https://xhamster.com/movies/1954526/thai_guy_naked_on_bigbike_around_chaingmai.html

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 18:43
Well if you want to be an arsehole about it Francois perhaps study the picture a little more closely. Assuming it's genuine. The bike has been ridden directly into a concrete pillar at considerable speed. So either it was suicide in which case there's little more to be said. Or, it was an accident but at the speed required to do that a helmet wouldn't have made much difference. But thanks for bringing an unpleasant note and a graphic photo of a virtually decapitated poor individual to a thread about an Italian restaurant. No really, I mean thanks a lot. Brilliant.

francois
February 3rd, 2017, 19:23
arsenal , you are the one who introduced "motorbikes" and the "wind in your hair" into your post on Bracco. And you are someone who even derails his own posts so relax.

That accident recently happened in Pattaya and it illustrates the potential dangers of motorbikes which many people choose to ignore.

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 19:44
I think I made my gratitude clear Francois. Please don't stop there. There are many middle eastern restaurants in Pattaya so perhaps a video of an IS beheading might be appropriate. And seafood places too so maybe a piccie or two of a dead and bloated drowned fisherman being dragged from the sea. As I said...thanks. Very much appreciated. Knock yourself out.

cdnmatt
February 3rd, 2017, 20:14
If this is how you act as a fully mature grown man, I feel bad for your mother for having to deal with the childhood version of you.

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 20:32
CDMatt wrote:
"If this is how you act as a fully mature grown man, I feel bad for your mother for having to deal with the childhood version of you."

Whereas your mother had the pleasure of a fully fledged hypochondriac. Blind on Monday, deaf on Tuesday, can't smell on Wednesday etc etc.

sglad
February 3rd, 2017, 20:52
arsenal , you are the one who introduced "motorbikes" and the "wind in your hair" into your post on Bracco. And you are someone who even derails his own posts so relax.

Which to me conjured up a witty, camp gay reference of Jackie O or Marilyn Monroe riding in an open convertible which is typical of arsenal and entirely appropriate for this board. And that image made me chuckle because it is a perfect counterfoil to Christian's somewhat anal personality as represented by his posts on this forum.

sglad
February 3rd, 2017, 21:05
All your suggestions will cost a fortune just to get to the place and back. 12 km by road from Tuk-Com, that would be about 120 Baht in Bangkok metered taxi, but in Pattaya you would probably have to pay 300.

'Fortune' is a relative term. It's relative to the person spending the money and relative to the kind of establishment that is being patronised. Something that may be a 'fortune' to you may not be to arsenal. And Bacco is not a cheapie place, judging from the info on their website and reviews on Tripadvisor. They even share a private beach with The Glasshouse next door, also reviewed by arsenal. So I doubt the average Bacco patron would quibble over the cost of transport. Also not ALL if ANY of my suggestions "will cost a fortune". I don't think a shared songtaew or an Uber ride ride will cost a fortune. I've been to Hang Dong, Maejo and Sansai which are on the outskirts of Chiang Mai on Uber and it never exceeded 150Bt.

sglad
February 3rd, 2017, 21:19
Restaurant reviews should include accessibility and price range.

Sure if you're a paid reviewer writing for a regular food column in a newspaper or magazine. But arsenal is a man on holiday who has generously written these teasers 'on the go', sharing his impressions and providing interesting contexts. Culinary snapshots if you like. You can always google if you want more info. It took me less than 5 seconds.

sglad
February 3rd, 2017, 21:38
I think I made my gratitude clear Francois. Please don't stop there. There are many middle eastern restaurants in Pattaya so perhaps a video of an IS beheading might be appropriate...

:D:clapping:

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 21:42
If I remember rightly my bill was a little shy of 600 baht for the pizza, a coke and a latte and also including service.. The bread was complimentary. As well as the food I enjoyed the beautiful restaurant, excellent service and a choice of two superb views...one of the ocean or one of the hustle and bustle of the restaurant including the open plan wood fired pizza oven. In fact half way through I switched. I consider that I received full value for my money and upon departing I thanked the head waiter for a lovely experience. I look forward to returning. Go there or don't go there. The choice is yours. I'd like to say I don't care but actually I do because I want the place to stay open and so I want it to be a profitable business.

sglad
February 3rd, 2017, 21:47
If I remember rightly my bill was a little shy of 600 baht for the pizza, a coke and a latte and also including service.. The bread was complimentary. As well as the food I enjoyed the beautiful restaurant, excellent service and a choice of two superb views...one of the ocean or one of the hustle and bustle of the restaurant including the open plan wood fired pizza oven. In fact half way through I switched. I consider that I received full value for my money and upon departing I thanked the head waiter for a lovely experience. I look forward to returning. Go there or don't go there. The choice is yours. I'd like to say I don't care but actually I do because I want the place to stay open and so I want it to be a profitable business.

Sounds like a nice little afternoon escape from the madness of Pattaya.

Manforallseasons
February 3rd, 2017, 21:51
If I remember rightly my bill was a little shy of 600 baht for the pizza, a coke and a latte and also including service..

Do you have ANY idea how many cheap meatloaf meals 600 baht will buy in Sunee Plaza?

arsenal
February 3rd, 2017, 22:04
MFAS wrote:
"Do you have ANY idea how many cheap meatloaf meals 600 baht will buy in Sunee Plaza?"

Hahaha. I don't. I really don't.

francois
February 3rd, 2017, 22:17
I think I made my gratitude clear Francois. Please don't stop there. There are many middle eastern restaurants in Pattaya so perhaps a video of an IS beheading might be appropriate. And seafood places too so maybe a piccie or two of a dead and bloated drowned fisherman being dragged from the sea. As I said...thanks. Very much appreciated. Knock yourself out.

Ah, arsenal, you can dish it out but you can't take it. :devilsh:

Jellybean
February 3rd, 2017, 22:51
I looked at the website for the Bacco Beach Restaurant & Wine Bar, it certainly looks impressive. I wish I had known about it, and The Glass House Beachfront Restaurant & Bar, when I had my car, as getting there would have been a lot easier. Sorry arsenal, I won’t consider hiring a motorbike, not with my luck, but will look at taking a taxi.

Unfortunately, I shall not have time to visit it during my forthcoming trip to Pattaya, but might fit in a visit in my final trip this year before I return to England in April.

Oh! No! . . . Den, den, den - den-de-den . . . Den, den, den - den-de-den . . .

I hope you have not gone over to the dark side Lord Arsenal? Otherwise, Moses will have to arrange for the Imperial March theme to precede your posts.

;)

arsenal
February 4th, 2017, 07:58
Don't know what's up with Francois recently. Angry and bitter so perhaps he's gone ex-pat native. Posting dead bodies on a restaurant thread is not pleasant behaviour. Jellybean it is not I who has gone to the dark side.

arsenal
March 2nd, 2017, 13:01
A return visit to Bacco and actually to eat the same pizza. Equally delicious and loaded with high quality ingredients. I tried the mixed fruit punch which was fresh tasting with a sunset orange colour but a little sharp for my taste. iSunloungers are available on the beach if you want to sleep off your meal.