PDA

View Full Version : Scent of Success

bing
July 10th, 2006, 04:45
Every once in a while someone will opine on what is considered a nice scent to wear in a warm climate. I was encouraged by a friend to get some Cartier Pasha. I think it is great. Anyone else come across a nice fragrance.

July 10th, 2006, 06:26
I'm not into blokes who wear scent and I sometimes feel asthmatic when I'm sat next to a woman with a strong perfume. I say to them That's a strong pong - can I match it with one of my farts :blackeye:
But seriously guys, it is a bloody liberty when someone comes into a bar wearing a strong smelly scent specially if they then complain about guys smoking.
I'm all in favor of a boy wearing an underarm deoderant to cut down on the BO but some of these perfumes ar just plain overpowering. They should be banned if smoking is banned too.

bucknaway
July 10th, 2006, 07:13
I wear pleasures for men. I am given many compliments when I am in Thailand on my scent.

July 10th, 2006, 11:34
Dollce & Gabbana - 'For Men'
Christian Dior - 'Eau Savage - Extreme' - an oldy but a goody!
Calvin Klein - 'Obsession - For Men' - can't help it, still one of my faves!

In Pattaya I actually tend to test all those roadside, cheap, copy, knockoff stall colognes and buy the one I like - they never really resemble the original but some do smell halfway decent. I never spray it directly onto my skin though as much rashiness could ensue, spray it on your shirt a little before getting dressed, leaves a nice pong and also helps to iron out any creases.

As for underarms, I've actuallly taken to patting on a little talc. Some of the roll-ons can leave marks on clothes and be a little wet for me, whereas talc smells nice and keeps you dry.

Good Housekeeping tip for the day!

July 10th, 2006, 12:44
I must agree with Bethnal. An overpowering smell of perfume on either a man or a woman makes my head spin. A hint of almost any perfume is usually okay. Bing, my favorite cologne is Aramis.

July 10th, 2006, 12:52
GUCCi - Envy for evening wear.

Guaranteed to turn a few heads.

July 10th, 2006, 16:10
I rarely wear fragrance, but when I do it's Davidoff's Cool Water, and I get many compliments on it, which frustrates me as it means I must be wearing too much. I want just a *hint* of fragrance not a full-on aroma across the table.

Also, along this line, I am frustrated at not being able to find (a) UNSCENTED deodorant/antiperspirant and (b) non "cooling," but lightly herbal scented talcum powder. Tesco used to carry the entire Palmolive line of herbal-scented products (talcum, body soap, handsoap) like Lavender, but they no longer carry the talc. Those "cooling" talcum powders always make me feel *wet* not *cool* and kinda defeat the purpose.

July 10th, 2006, 16:34
I like Cool Water. I think a lot of num can pick out the scent because they like it too.
Also popular (With num.) is Eternity Summer 2006 by Calvin Klien. Rather 'one-note' but smells wonderful on some people; on others, like 2006 Cat's-in-Heat Summer Kitty-Litter..

July 10th, 2006, 16:55
Rather 'one-note' but smells wonderful on some people; on others, like 2006 Cat's-in-Heat Summer Kitty-Litter..One reason I've kept with Cool Water is that it doesn't go "sour" on me. My body chemistry does something to most other colognes that is not pleasant...

I had thought the reason num liked Cool Water was that it wasn't very common.

July 10th, 2006, 17:15
num liked Cool Water was that it wasn't very common.

I've had a couple ask me to bring it and several others sniff and say, "Oh-oh; Cool Water."

On the cheap side; the Body Splash(s)--About a dozen flavors--at Bath & Body Works.
My favorite is Cotton. Smells like a num's fresh (But lightly worn.) cotton bikini briefs. :drunken:
When at home, I spray it on my bed pillows--Is that sad, or what?

July 10th, 2006, 17:32
Several people should use ordinary Listerine first before wearing any posh fragrance.....

July 10th, 2006, 17:49
Several people should use ordinary Listerine first before wearing any posh fragrance.....

There's Also a Boy-Balm: Skip the 'posh fragrance' and give yourself a rub-down with a thousand-baht-note.

Horny, Pearl, tried fly-paper.

wowpow
July 10th, 2006, 18:08
It would be nice to know if there are any really excellent Thai fragrances. TIME Asia gave laurels to:
Best Bespoke Potions Award: Lemongrass House, Phuket, Thailand
By Cynthia Rosenfeld

Posted Monday, May 15, 2006; 20:00 HKT
If you want to smell like no one else, try mixing a selection from the more than 90 natural scents at Phuket's Lemongrass HouseтАФa small, bamboo-lined shop across from Surin beach in Phuket. There's everything from extract of anchan (a Thai flower better known for the violet food coloring it yields) to ylang-ylang (a fragrant oil distilled from the flower of a Cananga tree), but if you want to get really adventurous, American owner Bobby Duchowny will gladly oblige. He once created a bacon room spray (used by a hotel to lure guests to breakfast) and a body wrap made from Godiva chocolate, sake, Dead Sea mud and 24-karat gold flakes. Duchowny's skills aren't limited to arresting scentsтАФhe's made a natural insecticide to help organic farmers in Thailand, and Lemongrass House produces a nourishing range of spa products based on its signature blend of jojoba, sweet almond and vitamin E. But he loves a challenge, and encourages individual customers to experiment "with what smells and feels good to you." Champagne and dollar bills anyone?

Humm! I never heard of an American 'nose'. I did have a room spray by Lemongrass once and it was Lemongrass scent and was very good and frightened the mozzies away.

LMTU - http://www.flowers2thailand.com/search/ ... c=perfumes (http://www.flowers2thailand.com/search/search_pd.asp?t=g&s=1&k=perfumes&k=For+Him&c=perfumes) for internet shopping.

It might be nice to know what Thai guys really like in a scent.

July 10th, 2006, 23:16
I bow to Ediths nostrils.

Duty free - cool water - here i come!

July 11th, 2006, 00:55
I am given many compliments when I am in Thailand on my scent.

By whom - a pack of sniffing soi dogs?

Dick
July 11th, 2006, 05:55
My bf has a good 'nose' for fragrences... and currently has a wardrobe of some 15 varieties. He likes to try as many as he can persuade me to buy, and ever practical, prefers those with a concentrated fragrence that doesn't wear off too quickly. So from his Thai perspective, his top favourites are Jean Paul Gautier ~ the one in the bottle shaped like a torso, and Burberry ~ I asked which one, and he said 'all'. Gucci's Envy also meets with high approval.

Smiles
July 11th, 2006, 06:24
Latest favourites: Alfred Sung's 'HEI' ( gushing compliments from older women on this one :blackeye: ) and Michel Germain's 'DEAUVILLE' ( don't use much, this puppy is strong, and lasts ).

I used to like (very much!) Armani's 'SENSI', but some smart ass on this Board let me in on the secret that it was a ladie's 'perfum' :cheers: . Looked closer and so it bloody-well was!! (but I still like it ~ and slap it on ocassionaly).

HINT: if you think of yourself as a Fat Bald Old Cunt then I suggest dabbing all of these on more liberally, and avoid overhearing whispers from Thai guys about " ... tom pla ...".

Smell "nice" guys ... and cheers

July 11th, 2006, 06:34
This year's hits were Versace Man, Eau Fraiche and Ermenegildo Zegna, Z Zegna. The former having great lasting power in the hot and humid of Hollywood. Got a number of "I like" from several young friends.

Last year, L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme, Issey Miyake got the "can I have" from the BF.

July 11th, 2006, 18:48
L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme, Issey Miyake

I hear that a lot: "`lo, Dizzy!"

bing
July 11th, 2006, 19:31
Yesterday I went to a Florida beach and spent an afternoon in pondering some of your responses. After the beach I stopped at a mall and sprayed on a bit of Pleasures for Men. and also a dab of Aramis on the other wrist. Both are very pleasing. I was reminded that last September while enjoying the night life of Pattaya, I was enjoying a spray bottle of Drakkar Noir. Before going out for the evening I would hold it about 10 inches from my upper shirt and give a little spray. I took in my pocket with me and if one of the Thai guys mentioned he liked the scent I would offer him a spray on upper chest. They all seemed to like it, but I am aware that I was paying for the drink so it is possible the boss is always right. It was fun thing to do. Perhaps you might like to bring some with you. A word of caution is perhaps in order, I also agree that a bit of scent goes a long way. It is not pleasing to anyone to have splashed on so much that you reek. I too would like to use a calbash, on one who offends with a super abundance of any scent, whether it is of the finest quality or not. I started this thread with a mention of Pasha by Cartier, it is a fine cologne but tore up a $100.00 to get it. For the record I still like Old Spice which was the first aftershave I ever owned. I appreciated your responses and will sample some of the other brands on another trip to the mall.

Smiles
July 11th, 2006, 19:48
" ... Last year, L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme ... "
When I originally skimmed quickly through this "grup de parfum" ( mangling at least 2 languages! ) I read "L'Eau de Pussy" . . . and could go no further :blackeye:

Cheers ...

wowpow
July 12th, 2006, 07:43
How nice to see Old Spice mentioned - a good modestly priced scent. All the others sounds like a competition of my pong is more expensive than yours as people tout their over expensive - ludicrously so - French eau de toilet. The bottles often cost a lot more than the contents. Still it's a great French con which through the magic of Sales and Marketing is considered sophisticated and refined.

Now for a dab of Roquefort under the f-skin, a splash of eau de Durian behind the ears and I'll attract them like flies - or was that I'll attract flies?

July 12th, 2006, 10:52
... For the record I still like Old Spice which was the first aftershave I ever owned. I appreciated your responses and will sample some of the other brands on another trip to the mall.

Reminds me of my first aftershave, 'Denim for Men'. Not sure whether it was the scent or whether it was the advertisement with that hunky guy in the denim shirt that got me hooked! It also brings back memories of 'Hai Karate' aftershave - where each bottle would contain info' on how to defend yourself from the masses of women who would be drawn to you when wearing the scent :geek:

July 12th, 2006, 12:52
Hands up all you Hai Karate users! Confess your sins!

July 12th, 2006, 13:26
Yesterday I went to a Florida beach and spent an afternoon in pondering some of your responses.

Meanwhile:
180 people killed on trains in Mumbai
Israeli air force strike in Gaza
Fire in Chicago subway system
Fights in Ukraine parliament

And you were contemplating different smells

:drunken:

Aunty
July 12th, 2006, 17:15
Why Edith, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the scent you're so famous for when you're all dolled up in your finest. Now what's it called again? Now let me think. Oh that's right, Camphor and Mothballs by Ajax. Of yes darling it's soo YOU! :geek:

At the moment I like to wear (dependent on my mood and the time of the day), Higher by Christian Dior nice for lunch, Jaipur Homme, by Boucheron, safe for work, Dolce & Gabbana, for work, Michael for Men, by Michael Kors, for dinner, when on the prowl and for sex. And for the weekend and sleeping at night a discontinued cologne for men from Crabtree & Evelyn, because I like the way it smells and the way it works with fresh crisp linen sheets.

And over the years I've also enjoyed a couple of man scents from the range of Giorgio Beverly Hills.

July 13th, 2006, 17:35
At the moment I like to wear (dependent on my mood and the time of the day), Higher by Christian Dior nice for lunch, Jaipur Homme, by Boucheron, safe for work, Dolce & Gabbana, for work, Michael for Men, by Michael Kors...blah, blah, blah and so on...

"...dependent on my mood and the time of the day..." That means: if she sobered up enough to drag her rancid arse out of bed and to the drug store--The one with the free samples--before closing time. Otherwise; paper cuts: from those advert-samples found in ladie's magazines...If someone left one lying around, unguarded.
(And when you see her shaking magazines at Bookazine don't believe her when Ms. Bitch tries to tell you she is practicing her Carmen Miranda act.)

"when on the prowl and for sex."
Then why didn't you just make a long story short and say you wear that one all the time?