PDA

View Full Version : Lovely Indian Restaurant

arsenal
January 26th, 2017, 15:01
The Meat Thali at Lovely Indian Restaurant located directly opposite A-Bomb is delicious. And at 239 baht is an absolute steal.

scottish-guy
January 26th, 2017, 16:52
Unlike it seems almost the entire pooulation of the UK (and despite visiting India) I'm not familar with Indian food and on the few occassions I've been dragged into an Indian Restaurant I have let other people order for me.

Therefore - and this is a general question totally unrelated to the particular establishment mentoined above : when you post the term "Meat Thali" - am I safe to assume this means an assortment of decent quality meats in one dish rather than some (rather worryingly) undefined and unidentified "meat"?

:stop_mini:

arsenal
January 26th, 2017, 17:50
Scottish: Yes. Lamb and chicken curries plus tandoori chicken, rice two types of naan bread, lentil curry, yogurt dip and a fresh salad.

arsenal
January 26th, 2017, 19:02
Deli Diner.
Shrimp salad, freshly balked French bread, fiillet of dory with white wine sauce, pannacotta with raspberry sauce. 299 baht. Very nice indeed.

francois
January 26th, 2017, 22:06
Deli Diner is an Indian Restaurant?

There is also another good Indian restaurant, Indigo, just across from Boyztown.

francois
January 26th, 2017, 22:07
Unlike it seems almost the entire pooulation of the UK (and despite visiting India) I'm not familar with Indian food and on the few occassions I've been dragged into an Indian Restaurant I have let other people order for me.

Therefore - and this is a general question totally unrelated to the particular establishment mentoined above : when you post the term "Meat Thali" - am I safe to assume this means an assortment of decent quality meats in one dish rather than some (rather worryingly) undefined and unidentified "meat"?

:stop_mini:

For sure, no beef!

arsenal
January 26th, 2017, 23:24
No Francois DD is not Indian. But I didn't think it needed a new thread as it fitted into this one.

arsenal
January 27th, 2017, 01:20
Double Shot Bar. 2.30am and still going strong. Plenty of customers and plenty of boys. Music loud but a lot of it's real foot tapping stuff. Fun time.

catawampuscat
January 27th, 2017, 08:10
I like the short bursts of positivity and updates. Thread title could use an etc. to
broaden the subject field but most will figure it out for themselves.
Is the Indian restaurant situated where Wild West Boys used to be or across Second Rd. I'll try to
remember to see for myself in next day or two but it might be helpful to others.

arsenal
January 27th, 2017, 09:10
Yes Catampuscat I agree an etc in the title would be a good idea. Moses, if you read this could you do the honours. Thanks.

It's directly opposite A-Bomb and the old WWB on the other side of the road.

arsenal
January 27th, 2017, 11:49
A gentle ambling ride along Jomtien Beach Road and on to Bang Saray for a zingingly fresh strawberry smoothie in Lets Eat restaurant. Gentle music and gently lapping waves with an uninterrupted view across the bay. Heaven.

pennyboy
January 27th, 2017, 14:58
For an Indian curry i go to Indigo and can't fault the quality there. Lovely is quite new and I've not tried it yet nor the other one directly next door to Lovely.

francois
January 27th, 2017, 15:22
Well, since this post is not limited to Indian food, there is a nice Italian Restaurant, Guilo & Nan, close to Lovely. Directly across 2nd Rd from Pattayland Soi 13 (Soi where X Boys located). Good food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices.

The link between Indian and Italian food is that Marco Polo visited India.

arsenal
January 27th, 2017, 16:07
Marco Polo was Venetian, not Italian. I think rice is a better link, i.e. basmati and risotto.
😎

arsenal
January 27th, 2017, 23:20
Had the pate and meatball at Le Petite Planet. Both a little dry to be truthful. No matter. Collected my booked boy from Cupidol. Another fabulous off to add to the collection. We ended up chatting about Anglo/Sino history which for a guy who had had only four years of secondary education he possessed an insightful knowledge into.

arsenal
January 28th, 2017, 12:27
And so down to The Glasshouse for a lazy lunch by the sea. Baby clams with garlic and the fantastic shrimp and pomelo salad with a bowl of steamed rice and a pineapple smoothie. For me The Glasshouse remains Pattayas' most sumptuous restaurant.

sglad
January 28th, 2017, 14:53
And so down to The Glasshouse for a lazy lunch by the sea.

Does this mean you'll no longer be casting the first stone? :D

francois
February 24th, 2017, 16:03
A friend and I dined at Lovely Indian restaurant last night. Food was very good. We tried three dishes including, fish, lamb and chicken and all were good. Portions were large to the point we couldn't quite finish everything. Each dish was 250 Baht. Few, if any other customers.

scottish-guy
March 2nd, 2017, 00:38
Im sure there's plenty of customers at this Chinese restaurant in Whitby, UK :D

francois
March 2nd, 2017, 12:41
Speaking of restaurants,there is one in Pattaya, Robin Hood. The special yesterday was advertised as Faggots, specifically Welsh Faggots. I was surprised that Faggots were being served since Robin Hood is more of straight man's bar.

pennyboy
March 2nd, 2017, 15:16
Well yesterday was St David's day. The patron saint of Wales

scottish-guy
March 2nd, 2017, 23:02
...The special yesterday was advertised as Faggots, specifically Welsh Faggots. I was surprised that Faggots were being served since Robin Hood is more of straight man's bar.

Worse than that - I got Toed in The Hole once and it hurt like a fucking bitch

:D

Nirish guy
March 3rd, 2017, 01:51
I would have assumed that Francois's favourite dish surely would have been COQ au Vin :-)

scottish-guy
March 3rd, 2017, 04:44
I thought Coq Au Vin meant shagging in a Ford Transit

bkkguy
March 3rd, 2017, 18:31
I thought Coq Au Vin meant shagging in a Ford Transit

if it was a Ford Prefect at least you would always have your towel to clean up with afterwards

bkkguy

frequent
March 4th, 2017, 06:28
Another example of those Pattayans who believe that their seaside town is the centre of the universe, and therefore don't feel the need to identify that the topic is about an Indian restaurant in Pattaya. My favourite Indian restaurant in Bangkok is Mrs Balbir's in the basement of Silom Complex although I gather there are branches elsewhere. One of the (many) good things is the ability always to get a seat since many Thais believe (according to a friend's current squeeze) that Indian food is "dirty" - not that Thais are racist you understand, oh dear me no, only white men are racist.

francois
March 4th, 2017, 10:43
Quite right frequent, often posters fail to include location of topic of post.
As for Lovely in Pattaya, I passed by last night and it was full of patrons unlike the time I ate there when it was empty. I believe many of them were Indian.

arsenal
March 4th, 2017, 12:14
I look forward to a steady stream of restaurant recommendations from both frequent and francois. As I believe both do actually live in Thailand their output will no doubt be an excellent source of information.

fountainhall
March 4th, 2017, 12:47
I have enjoyed arsenal's reviews, but I agree that in a general Thailand forum it is more than just helpful to include the location in a title. Three threads on restaurants may be identifiable now as being in Pattaya/Jomtien, but in a few months time it will take a good degree of research that casual posters probably won't want to bother doing. And that surely detracts from the purpose of such reviews.

Dalewood
March 4th, 2017, 13:03
I dipped a very cautious toe into the river of Indian Cuisine a couple of days ago at a place in Jomtien. I have always assumed Indian Cuisine would set my mouth on fire. Well, the chicken curry was positively bland. Can someone suggest some Indian dishes for the newcomer?

francois
March 4th, 2017, 13:29
Try a thali
if on the menu. Lovely in Pattaya does serve this per Arsenal's post. Next time will try it myself.

Thali is an Indian style platter, made up of a selection of various dishes, served on a dishware. The 'thali' style serving is also popular in Nepal and Bangladesh. It simply means a round platter used to serve food.

scottish-guy
March 4th, 2017, 17:51
Thali is an Indian style platter, made up of a selection of various dishes, served on a dishware. The 'thali' style serving is also popular in Nepal and Bangladesh. It simply means a round platter used to serve food

In Scotland we call that a plate

MiniMee
March 4th, 2017, 18:03
This is a Thali

scottish-guy
March 4th, 2017, 20:01
The platter or the contents or both?

Nirish guy
March 4th, 2017, 22:43

And purely for my own information should I which to try / ask for that whilst in an Indian restaurant some night would that be considered a "main" or a ( shared ??) started perhaps ?

a447
March 5th, 2017, 08:41
Ok, Nirish, enough is enough. Time to put the whisky away. Lol

MiniMee
March 5th, 2017, 15:40

Both. Just like a Balti curry (popular in the UK) the word Balti actually refers to the mini wok-like dish that the food is cooked and served in, but it also refers to the food itself. You can order a 'Balti Chicken' as a takeaway, but you don't get the steel wok!

So, a Thali is actually the steel platter, but if you order a 'Thali' in a restaurant, you of course expect to receive the food and not just the platter.

........would that be considered a "main" or a ( shared ??) started perhaps ?

It is a complete meal in one, including desert. On the image above you can see vegetable dishes, meat dishes, dahl, butter milk soup, rice and breads. There are usually some pickles too, but none shown here. At the 11 o'clock position there is a gloopy desert which is probably very sweet and a deep-fried item, probably containing a sweet cheese (no, not a mars bar) It would be a large meal for one person, or could be shared. Up to you.

arsenal
March 5th, 2017, 15:46
Minimee wrote:

"could be shared, up to you."

Shared, I don't think so. Share that with some of the dinosaur sized farangs I see around Sunee and Boyztown and I'd be lucky to get a lick 'a' lime pickle.