View Full Version : How would you react?

arsenal
January 21st, 2017, 17:49
So Chinese new year will send bzillions of Chinese tourists into Thailand and if you're there they are likely to be unavoidable although the last two years I was there and barely noticed them. Anyway, it is rare but some Chinese (always women) think it's OK to jab you in the back with their finger if you're in their way. This is not gentle, trust me it hurts and leaves you in a state of shock. So, I am curious what would/will you do?

bkkguy
January 21st, 2017, 19:36
it is rare but some Chinese (always women) think it's OK to jab you in the back with their finger if you're in their way. This is not gentle, trust me it hurts and leaves you in a state of shock. So, I am curious what would/will you do?

it is rare but some Westerners (always men) think it OK to turn and shout "F**k off" aggressively which leaves the jab-er in a state of shock, so we now have two people in a state of shock based solely on racial stereotyping

so, I am curious, what should we do in this situation?

bkkguy

sglad
January 21st, 2017, 19:38

bkkguy

An American redkneck might try some pussy-grabbing.

bkkguy
January 21st, 2017, 19:49
An American redkneck might try some pussy-grabbing.

that trumps any other suggestion I suppose

bkkguy

arsenal
January 21st, 2017, 19:55
Difficult to know what bbkguy means with his answer but there's no racial stereotyping if it happened and by only one nation. Sglad, I think your suggestion is unnecessarily unpleasant.

Manforallseasons
January 21st, 2017, 20:05
I know there are many nightmare stories of mainland Chinese tourists in L.O.S. and I live in Pattaya but the few I see are walking in a group and after many problems they and the buses that carry them are not very welcome anymore as for what I would do.....Anyone not just Chinese that jab me in the back will be jabbing the wrong guy....they better not!

arsenal
January 21st, 2017, 20:09
MFAS wrote:
"I know there are many nightmare stories of mainland Chinese tourists in L.O.S. and I live in Pattaya but the few I see are walking in a group and after many problems they and the buses that carry them are not very welcome anymore as for what I would do.....Anyone not just Chinese that jab me in the back will be jabbing the wrong guy....they better not!"

Yes. So what would you do? It;s only been Chinese and it's only been women.

fountainhall
January 21st, 2017, 20:58
I live in Bangkok, have seen increasing numbers of Chinese in recent years but have never been jabbed anywhere - a gentle grope on the Skytrain by a cute student would be met with a smile, though :cool:

A jab in the back would be met with a fast about-turn and a glare. If the offending finger was in evidence, I would grab it as though intending to break it. Assuming the woman's husband might be around, I'd then be prepared to run - fast!

scottish-guy
January 21st, 2017, 20:58
Maybe it's just you Arsenal - maybe you just look as if you liked to be poked?

:confused:

cdnmatt
January 21st, 2017, 21:01
Make sure to eact Mexican food for everu mral during that period, then you're always locked and loaded.

fountainhall
January 21st, 2017, 21:12
Or wear a T-shirt with 4444 in large letters on the front and back!!

arsenal
January 21st, 2017, 21:28
Fountainhall: Don't need to worry about the husband. From what I've seen few Chinese couples appear to like each other very much. In fact the Chinese family unit sounds like a form of hell from what I've heard.

a447
January 21st, 2017, 21:51
A number of years ago I was on a crowded bus in Florence, standing at the back,. A very beautifully dressed middle-aged woman got on behind me and started poking me in the back, suggesting I move further down the bus. But there was no room to move. And she poked me again and I turned around and glared at her. After the third time I just turned around and shoved her as hard as I could, pushing her forcefully into the back widow of the bus.

She didn't poke me again.

And that's how I would react if a Chinese tourist, or anyone of any nationality, behaved in the same way.

arsenal
January 21st, 2017, 21:56
1st time I was dumbfounded.
2nd time I grabbed the hand and squeezed it quite hard.
3rd time I politely ushered her through and then returned the gesture. Which strangely she didn't like.

a447
January 21st, 2017, 22:02
Or wear a T-shirt with 4444 in large letters on the front and back!!

Lol

aussie_
January 22nd, 2017, 15:10
I wear a backpack, she can prod all she likes but will get an angry "fuck off" glare. I was at Beijing airport recently and a very well dressed woman dropped a huge spit right in front of me on the tarmac while boarding the plane. I quickly jumped over the huge blob of spittle and nearly bowled over three Chinese :)

fountainhall
January 22nd, 2017, 16:51
China has had various anti-spitting campaigns. Not easy I suppose for the older generation who are used to having spittoons around or their use. If that lady had done that in front of me, I would have been tempted to whip out a couple of tissues, wipe up the blob and hand it to her, remarking "You forgot this!"

Jellybean
January 22nd, 2017, 17:11
Crikey arsenal! You’ve not been painting a very complementary picture of the Chinese in some of your recent topics. I don’t have much personal experience of Chinese tourists in Thailand, or elsewhere, so don’t have anything positive or negative to say.

But, like, aussie, I wear a backpack, but only during the day, so doubt being poked on the backpack would have much effect. I might even think she had accidentally bumped into me and carry on my merry way. But during the evening, I don’t use a backpack and I certainly wouldn’t like being jabbed in the back. The most I would probably do is glare at her or possibly say, in English, ‘Yes, can I help you?’ which she might not even understand. Or, more likely, just get out of her way, as I used to do when I saw crazy drivers in my rear view mirror, when I used to drive a car in Thailand.

fountainhall
January 22nd, 2017, 17:24
Given his views on the average Chinese, I can't imagine arsenal has much enjoyment working in China. I have certainly seen lots of the types he describes but in my more limited experience on business and as a tourist I must have been fortunate in encountering a much nicer class of person. Rather like the young mid-20s partner of a new small model agency I had to fortune to meet on one of the apps a couple of weeks ago. I took him for a good dinner and then . . . A nicer, tall, slim and extremely fit Chinese guy would be more difficult to meet almost anywhere. That it was whilst he was holidaying in Bangkok was wonderful! But then he is gay - and I seem to recall arsenal's desires lean more towards straighter guys.

arsenal
January 22nd, 2017, 19:28
I slag off the Chinese because that's where I currently find myself because that's where the money is. However when in The UK I slagged of the British just as much. And...from reading this and other forums it seems that the expats in Thailand complain way more than anyone else about their lives.

sglad
January 22nd, 2017, 19:44
I slag off the Chinese because that's where I currently find myself because that's where the money is. However when in The UK I slagged of the British just as much. And...from reading this and other forums it seems that the expats in Thailand complain way more than anyone else about their lives.

I guess some people are just unhappy wherever they are and carry their baggage with them wherever they go.

arsenal
January 22nd, 2017, 20:01
sglad wrote:
"I guess some people are just unhappy wherever they are and carry their baggage with them wherever they go."

Well take heart. The unhappiest person in town has just moved into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and will slowly go insane over the next four years.

sglad
January 22nd, 2017, 20:09
sglad wrote:
Well take heart. The unhappiest person in town has just moved into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and will slowly go insane over the next four years.

Oh I don't know...Melania's spirits might perk up once she starts bonking her hot military aides and SS agents. Anything's got be better than the Donald.

arsenal
January 22nd, 2017, 20:29
"SS agents" Donnie is obviously even more right wing than I thought. Whatever next? The White House renamed the Reich House perhaps.

goji
January 22nd, 2017, 21:16
MFAS wrote:
"So what would you do? It;s only been Chinese and it's only been women.

If I'm genuinely in the way and get a gentle tap, fine.
If I received an aggressive prod, she would get some very loud advice not to do that again.

Women should know their place.

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2017, 22:51
"So what would you do"

Well a quick kick in the balls wouldn't hurt.

Steve1903
January 23rd, 2017, 04:25
it is rare but some Westerners (always men) think it OK to turn and shout "F**k off" aggressively which leaves the jab-er in a state of shock, so we now have two people in a state of shock based solely on racial stereotyping

bkkguy

The Chinese visitors can relax, I'm not in Thailand at the moment.

fountainhall
January 23rd, 2017, 11:51
Melania's spirits might perk up once she starts bonking her hot military aides and SS agents. Anything's got be better than the Donald.
Since Melania will be based in the ghastly glitzy nouveau riche golden penthouse atop Trump Tower for the next year or so whilst her son is at school, she won't even have the Donald watching over her. Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen that young boy smile? Ever? Is he the intelligent one? Totally pissed off with his father?

Blueskytoday
January 23rd, 2017, 13:15
Getting off the subject yet again...no need for politics here...move on