PDA

View Full Version : Strangest thing you've ever eaten.

arsenal
January 16th, 2017, 11:31
Fountainhall and I are having a ding dong on another thread about endangered animals but it got me thinking about the strangest thing you've ever eaten.

For me I think that it has to be jellyfish. If you've never eaten it it's horrible. A crunchy texture (think cucumber) with an offish fishy taste. Repulsive.

fountainhall
January 16th, 2017, 12:13
A "ding dong?" A respectable conversation between two cultured gents with a difference of opinion :))

Again we differ. I love jellyfish (which in Chinese cuisine is cut in long thin strips) as long as it is served with sliced pork or something like that along with soy and vinegar or a sesame sauce. It's really quite tasteless and just adds texture to the pork.

Have you had snake? Snake soup with chrysanthemum petals sprinkled on top is actually very tasty - rather like a spicy chicken soup. What you don't want to witness is how they prepare the snakes! Enough said. Or duck tongue with mustard is delicious.

I was once having dinner in a tiny and expensive sushi bar near the Ginza in Tokyo. My colleagues included my boss from London. Our hosts were senior execs from a major Japanese company and the dinner was to celebrate a large deal which had just been signed. After some exquisite sashimi, the chef pulled a live flat fish out of a tank, flashed his sharp knife as though practising karate moves and then placed the tiny still beating heart on to a large plate in front of my boss. He recoiled, turned to me and asked if he had to eat it. Realising that if he refused custom dictated I would have to, I nodded enthusiastically. Good on him, he did. I would probably have been sick!

arsenal
January 16th, 2017, 14:04
Fountainhall wrote:
"After some exquisite sashimi, the chef pulled a live flat fish out of a tank, flashed his sharp knife as though practising karate moves and then placed the tiny still beating heart on to a large plate in front of my boss. He recoiled, turned to me and asked if he had to eat it. Realising that if he refused custom dictated I would have to, I nodded enthusiastically." Hahaha. Love it. Poor bloke.

My absolutely very first meal in China was duck brain. The picture looked like something else. The waitress brought out two face up duck skull halves. I ate them, no real taste to speak of and a smooth slightly creamy texture. I've had fish (bass) down in Bang Saray that was so fresh it was still twitching as I ate it. Delicious.

a447
January 16th, 2017, 18:19
Shirako (白子 for mfas!)

Old git
January 16th, 2017, 19:12
"My absolutely very first meal in China was duck brain."

My first business trip to China was back in the days when most people wore Mao suits and there were few cars but massed hordes of push bikes. On my first evening in Beijing it was suggested that we went to a famous duck restaurant - I thought 'I can handle that' - Wrong..!

Duck brain, duck entrail soup, duck feet even.. - and no sign of the only bit of the bloody duck I thought was edible..

paperboy
January 16th, 2017, 20:09
the strangest thing for me was, last year in jomtein. in yupins resturant, still dont know what it was, wasnt what i orderd

gerefan2
January 16th, 2017, 20:41
My b/f ordered a hard boiled egg from a cart is Sunne Plaza. When he cracked it open it had a baby chicken inside. He ate it whole. WTF???

Manforallseasons
January 16th, 2017, 21:18
Mexico City, crepe filled with blue corn fungus........guite tasty.

fountainhall
January 16th, 2017, 22:04
It's strange - but also delicious. Drunken prawns. It's best not to watch it being prepared even though this is usually done at the table. Into a glass bowl of live prawns is poured enough rice wine to cover all the prawns. Hopefully they are all happily drunk before the waiter sets the whole thing alight and puts on a lid which soon extinguishes the blaze. Then start eating!

arsenal
January 16th, 2017, 22:17
There's a video for drunken prawns posted below. Before the animal rights bods get all tearful do remember that most shellfish is cooked (or frozen) alive. Otherwise it will kill you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmkCDNYCdPM&spfreload=10

francois
January 16th, 2017, 23:24
Nahn-wow. Seems to vary depending on the source, anything from sweet to sour. Never had Chinese or Japanese variety, mostly Thai and Quebecois(French-Canadian).

Magnum
January 17th, 2017, 00:34
Beijing, silkworm cocoons, just disgusting. The picture looked like meatballs

Dalewood
January 17th, 2017, 06:30
My b/f ordered a hard boiled egg from a cart is Sunne Plaza. When he cracked it open it had a baby chicken inside. He ate it whole. WTF???

Wait until you go to the Philippines....usually duck there.

TaoR
January 17th, 2017, 08:45
In the Philippines an embryo in an egg is called "Balut" and it is pretty common throughout SE Asia. I do remember once in Baguio some friends of mine took me to a restaurant just outside the Military Academy and got all excited for me to eat something on a stick and I did then they informed me that it was chicken assholes...and they took one off the stick to show me....

I was actually more excited about the cadets in uniforms who were also eating and some of them were obviously earning a little cash and out on dates with with some older gentlemen....

Nothing as beautiful as a young Filipino male in uniform! :)

fountainhall
January 17th, 2017, 10:15
There's a video for drunken prawns posted below.
. . . but usually it is the diners who are drunk :yahoo_mini:

christianpfc
January 17th, 2017, 11:36
Similar thread here:
http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/5626-gross-things-to-eat-in-thailand/

As long as it doesn't smell bad and someone else eats it, I might try.

Unhatched chicken. The egg is cracked open shortly before the chicken hatches, and the entire chicken is deep fried. Bones and beak are so soft, you can eat it entirely. Had it in Bangkok 2009-2010, haven't seen it since then.

Various insects, I have eaten almost the entire range that is on offer on Thailand markets.

So far, I avoided fried scorpion as I have only seen then in tourist trap places.

But the fried tarantula along the road from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, that was not a tourist trap. Here you can really accuse me of being a coward.

Dancing shrimp salad. Live baby shrimp (up to 1 cm long) is placed in salad and lid put on top (you can hear the shrimp jump onto the lid), then shaken vigorously (so the shrimp get numbed and don't jump out) and then eaten.

Chicken ass. http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/10/oh-my-god-11-chicken-ass.html
(http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/10/oh-my-god-11-chicken-ass.html)

sglad
January 19th, 2017, 23:32
I guess the strangest thing I've eaten is pussy.

fountainhall
January 20th, 2017, 07:39
OMG! I guess that must have had a pretty major effect on your future! We all make mistakes :yahoo_mini:

francois
January 20th, 2017, 12:55
I guess the strangest thing I've eaten is pussy.

Two legged or four legged??