PDA

View Full Version : omega watches

aot871
January 10th, 2017, 06:53
Can any one tell me where I can buy a 100% omega watch in pattaya,There used to be a high class watch shop in royal garden mall , but not sure if it is still there

Manforallseasons
January 10th, 2017, 07:21
The watch store is still there, second floor on the 2nd road side......don't know if they sell Omega.

Smiles
January 10th, 2017, 08:09
There is an Omega Boutique in Pattaya: https://www.omegawatches.com/stores/storedetails/7597/

Also one in Emporium and Siam Paragon in Bangkok.

a447
January 10th, 2017, 12:32
I went to the watch section of Central Festival Shopping Centre in Pattaya looking for a particular Omega model last week. They don't carry the brand and said Omega wasn't available in Pattaya. They referred me to Bangkok. The Pattaya store mentioned by Smiles appears to have closed down.

The shop is situated in Siam Paragon, not in the department store but just outside in the main mall across from the watch section.

My model was there but it is a lot more expensive than back home (taxes higher?) and no discount was offered. I've decided to buy it in Australia.

Smiles
January 10th, 2017, 12:36
The Pattaya store mentioned by Smiles appears to have closed down.
If that is the case, sorry for any bad information.
On the other hand, there is still the official Omega website which clearly shows an Omega/King Power store still open in Pattaya: https://www.omegawatches.com/stores/map/?tx_omega_Page%5Bsearch-store%5D=bangkok . Perhaps they are behind the times :D

The Emporium and Paragon stores I believe are still open. If you can afford an Omega watch, why not just rent a helicopter which will drop you on top of Paragon.

a447
January 10th, 2017, 12:40
Unfortunately, the Tarntawan doesn't have a helipad.

gerefan2
January 10th, 2017, 13:20
I've decided to buy it in Australia.

Probably the best advise for the original poster. Personally, I don't buy ANYTHING in Thailand any more...well apart from you know what!

sglad
January 10th, 2017, 13:50
Personally, I don't buy ANYTHING in Thailand any more...well apart from you know what!

Food? Same here. Except for food, basic necessities and stuff for my room, I don't really spend much on shopping. Not that they don't have cool stuff here - they do - but I can get almost everything I need back home and usually cheaper. For sure I don't need anymore clothes. One thing I'm looking for is some kind of soft, foldable mattress that I can lay out on the floor and store easily after use. Not those spongy ones that are a chore to roll up in the morning. I only have a single bed in my room, not even a super single and it's a bit too small for..uhm..sleeping. I have plenty of empty floor space in my room and a huge balcony; a king-sized foldable mattress would be ideal.

fountainhall
January 10th, 2017, 14:04
What you probably need is a Japanese futon. When I moved to Tokyo a long time ago, my furniture was a week late in arriving. So I went out to a department store to get a futon and some towels. It was only single bed size but I am sure they come in larger units. That said, I'm to sure where you'd find them in Chiang Mai.

scottish-guy
January 10th, 2017, 15:05
Alternatively I have a lovely and extremely rare 1970's Omega Seamaster you can make me an offer on

:p

arsenal
January 10th, 2017, 15:47
Scottish wrote:
"Alternatively I have a lovely and extremely rare 1970's Omega Seamaster you can make me an offer on."

I was under the impression that a 1970s seamaster was the last person to willingly have sex with you. Haha.

a447
January 10th, 2017, 16:15
That would be worth at least $5000 if it's in good condition. More if you still have the original box and paperwork.

That could finance a few trips to Thailand, I would think.

Cue: Minimee

scottish-guy
January 10th, 2017, 17:10
Oh it's in excellent condition because when I acquired/inherited it, I spent $1000 having it completely re-furbished by Omega.

Although I don't have the original box or paperwork (as I say I inherited it), I do have the paperwork from the refurb which details the model and movement number. This particular model is extremely rare and this particular version of it does not even appear on the Omega vintage website. The stainless steel version appears but mine is Gold (plated not solid!) with a burgundy face

However its a very "fine" looking automatic watch whereas the demand now is for these bulky oversized chronometer type watches with about 5 knobs on them.

arsenal
January 10th, 2017, 18:27
Scottish wrote:
"However its a very "fine" looking automatic watch whereas the demand now is for these bulky oversized chronometer type watches with about 5 knobs on them."

This has definitely been the decade where taste and elegance has given way to macho, big and shiny. Sadly.

a447
January 10th, 2017, 18:42
Smaller men's watches are coming back. Now the brands often have a 36mm version as well as the more common 42mm. The new Seamaster comes in both sizes.

SG, why don't you keep it and wear it every day? It sounds like a very nice dress watch.

francois
January 10th, 2017, 19:23
Yes, wear it for dress-up function. I have an older watch( a wind up one) which I inherited,and wear it as a dress watch. Not an Omega but, at least the watch band is Omega.

scottish-guy
January 10th, 2017, 20:08
Currently I don't wear it everyday, but only for business functions etc - partially because I'm afraid to lose or damage it

Then I regret I'm not getting the use out of which the donor intended, plus I believe you really have to wear automatic watches regularly to preserve them. I did originally buy an electronic "winder" unit for it - but that gave up the ghost a long time ago

:))

MiniMee
January 10th, 2017, 20:48
Just where it whenever you have a wank. That should keep it ticking in perpetuity.

scottish-guy
January 10th, 2017, 21:12
Which perfectly explains why your watch is 3 months fast !

:yahoo_mini:

a447
January 11th, 2017, 00:34
It's a dress watch so you probably couldn't wear it with, say, jeans.

I wonder how it would go with a kilt?

goji
January 11th, 2017, 05:01
Probably the best advise for the original poster. Personally, I don't buy ANYTHING in Thailand any more...well apart from you know what!

I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. Even simple stuff like USB leads can be of inferior quality that fails within a few weeks.
A branded phone or watch ? No chance.

christianpfc
January 11th, 2017, 11:21
Just where [sic!] it whenever you have a wank. That should keep it ticking in perpetuity.
I wear my watch on my left hand, but wank with my right.

Back to the OP, other end of the spectrum of watches. I made the mistake to wear my watch in a Jacuzzi (or rather just forgot to take it off), where water got inside and it stopped working.

Then I made another mistake (that was on my second ? holiday to Thailand, now I am wiser) to buy a new watch at Patpong night market for 250 Baht (reduced from 400 ?, they sell for 100 elsewhere), and that watch started disintegrating days later, while I was still in Thailand. You can't even change the battery because the watch's lifetime is shorter than the battery's.

GWMinUS
January 12th, 2017, 05:52
If you look at current reviews of Omega watches you will find the new ones are not as highly rated.
The new Owners have not kept up with the competition.
But Scotty's 1970 would be a gem!! Make him an offer!!!

fountainhall
January 12th, 2017, 11:12
I'm curious. What's so special about an Omega watch - whichever wrist it's worn on? If it was a Patek Philippe or a Chopard I guess I'd understand, but an Omega? Are they that special?

a447
January 12th, 2017, 12:41
I'm curious. What's so special about an Omega watch - whichever wrist it's worn on? If it was a Patek Philippe or a Chopard I guess I'd understand, but an Omega? Are they that special?

Patek Philippe is in a league of it's own, as is Rolex. Omega is "special" only because they have a "name" and reputation which they have to maintain, so what you get is a watch that is highly-accurate and beautifully made out of high end materials. That's what you pay for.

Their connection to the moon landings, Jacques Cousteau and the Olympics is important to some, but not to me. I just like the design of the Seamaster, although I'm not a diver as such -the only diving I do is between guys' legs.

I could by a similar design from, say, Timex but it's not the same. Quality costs money.

scottish-guy
January 13th, 2017, 15:51
Then I made another mistake ..to buy a new watch at Patpong night market for 250 Baht (reduced from 400 ?, they sell for 100 elsewhere), and that watch started disintegrating days later, while I was still in Thailand. You can't even change the battery because the watch's lifetime is shorter than the battery's.

:D I bought a 200B watch last time I was in Thailand, at the stalls leading down from BT to Sunee (on the BT side)- because I liked the face (I pick my boys the same way :mocking_mini:)

Anyhow - the strap was a couple of inches short, only fastened at the second last hole and accordingly had started to disintegrate within a few days and the battery lasted about a month.

I've since replaced the battery (which accounted for 50% of the cost of the watch) and I'll probably get a new strap fitted which will account for 100% of the original cost of the watch.

Buying stuff that's dirt cheap, looks good, but is absolutely shit is an integral part of any trip to Thailand.

gerefan2
January 13th, 2017, 17:14
Buying stuff that's dirt cheap, looks good, but is absolutely shit is an integral part of any trip to Thailand.

Haha, speak for yourself Scotty!

scottish-guy
January 14th, 2017, 05:56
I am

arsenal
January 14th, 2017, 08:06
Scottish wrote:
"Buying stuff that's dirt cheap, looks good, but is absolutely shit is an integral part of any trip to Thailand."

The boys are pretty cheap, look super bloody good but are absolutely top drawer. By the way Scottish, have you discussed the commission you'll undoubtedly pay Surfcrest for selling merchandise on his website? Cue thunder like fury over The Forth of Firth. Haha. I would have thought 25 per cent was reasonable.

scottish-guy
January 14th, 2017, 16:05
Well since nothing has been sold then I don't see how commission could be due - but Surfy could issue a bill for something we are all very familar with in Thailand anyway......

..... an insertion fee

:D