PDA

View Full Version : George Michael, pop superstar, dies at 53

Surfcrest
December 26th, 2016, 07:01
4166George Michael, pop superstar, dies at 53https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/25/george-michael-pop-superstar-dies-at-53

frequent
December 26th, 2016, 17:14
The lyrics of my favourite George Michael song are something about "your son going down on me"

francois
December 26th, 2016, 22:25
Passed away peacefully, a euphemism for OD.

gerefan2
December 27th, 2016, 07:49
Agreed same same so many. Why do they do it???

fountainhall
December 27th, 2016, 08:23
In GM's case, assuming the suggestion above turns out to be correct, he seems to have found it extremely difficult to handle what we'd call "fame". Perhaps with the added problem of failed love affairs. He seems to have been someone who just wanted to be a regular guy. But when you have all his wealth, popularity and talent, just being one of the boys is not an option. Some pop stars can handle it; others can't. Drugs become a release. Eventually the ultimate release. Very sad!

frequent
December 27th, 2016, 09:14
In GM's case, assuming the suggestion above turns out to be correct, he seems to have found it extremely difficult to handle what we'd call "fame". Perhaps with the added problem of failed love affairs. He seems to have been someone who just wanted to be a regular guy. But when you have all his wealth, popularity and talent, just being one of the boys is not an option. Some pop stars can handle it; others can't. Drugs become a release. Eventually the ultimate release. Very sad!

Rather a lot of sanctimonious twaddle I'm afraid, if you read some recent interviews that have been republished. There was one rather interesting passage, in a 2009 interview in The Guardian, where he showed his contempt for exactly that attitude which had been reported as being expressed by Bono to Elton John. His cottaging and cruising on Hampstead Heath are an inspiration to us all, and something he discussed at length. He's quoted in that interview as saying "I'm surprised I've survived my own dysfunction"

frequent
December 28th, 2016, 07:42
Mind you, his followers are at least members of a personality cult where the object of adoration is known good and bad, and are free to make criticisms and even leave the cult of their own volition

Surfcrest
December 28th, 2016, 09:23
I think he made a lot of beautiful music, music that has enriched some of our lives and undoubtedly the culture of our time...but he has also been very generous with his time and money to some very good causes over his lifetime. He lived a good life.

Surfcrest

fountainhall
December 28th, 2016, 15:40
Rather a lot of sanctimonious twaddle I'm afraid, if you read some recent interviews that have been republished. There was one rather interesting passage, in a 2009 interview in The Guardian, where he showed his contempt for exactly that attitude which had been reported as being expressed by Bono to Elton John. His cottaging and cruising on Hampstead Heath are an inspiration to us all, and something he discussed at length. He's quoted in that interview as saying "I'm surprised I've survived my own dysfunction"
I fail to understand the connection between it being difficult to handle wealth and fame with cottaging and cruising! And taking an excerpt from an interview from years ago doesn't make it true today. Two days ago the New York Times reported -

Once an indisputable sex symbol of the peak-MTV era, Mr. Michael appeared overweight and nearly unrecognizable in photographs, reportedly from September, that the website TMZ published on Monday. News media attention also fell on a 2015 tabloid interview with a relative claiming that Mr. Michael was abusing drugs and putting his life at risk. And after years of arrests related to drug use, as well as confessional interviews and health scares, the singer had largely retreated from the public eye, while his creative output had all but ceased.
I doubt either interview tells the whole story, so take your pick!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/26/arts/George-Michael-death-fame-struggles.html

frequent
December 28th, 2016, 17:45
I fail to understand ...

No surprises there then

fountainhall
December 29th, 2016, 11:42
No surprises there then
How childish!

frequent
January 1st, 2017, 10:20
How childish!

What you're saying is that a direct interview which acknowledged his drug-taking is of lesser value than a bunch of journalists making inferences from what they can see? The choice seems obvious, but not to you apparently

fountainhall
January 1st, 2017, 12:29
What you're saying is . . .
There you go again! That is not at all what I was saying. If you had bothered to read my post you would have noted that what I actually said related to your earlier point -

I fail to understand the connection between it being difficult to handle wealth and fame with cottaging and cruising!
But you elected to use just the first four words as if to demean a post - something that is not uncommon for you, it seems. And to further confuse the issue, you failed to include my earlier comment immediately beforehand -

In GM's case, assuming the suggestion above turns out to be correct,
So typical!

frequent
January 1st, 2017, 14:56
If you had bothered to read my post

Too much like hard work

fountainhall
January 1st, 2017, 15:22
Too much like hard work
The three lines of mine contained in that post - hard work? ROFL