PDA

View Full Version : Yupins Xmas function

lonelywombat
December 22nd, 2016, 16:34
Hi,

Well this is the last wednesday off we have before Christmas and the cooking preparations are going ahead full steam!
We have cooked 12 turkeys so far and another 4 to go tomorrow. Full menus below.
this is not enough we have some in reserve to cook on Sunday.

We have had our lunch, crunchy fresh baguette, hot and buttered, with hot Turkey smothered with Wasabi mayonnaise, and fresh garden tomatoes, seasoned nicely, with chopped iceberg lettuce and coriander leaves.
Not bad, and Mr Yupin, he says, had G&T followed by a lovely crisp sauvignon blanc from Chile to go with it. Everybody happy.

Just a reminder here is our Christmas Menu at Yupins, Bookings available on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 from 3pm to 830 pm.
And below that some photos of the usual suspects licking the plates clean!!

Very Best wishes to you, and we do look forward to seeing you, if not over Christmas then in the New Year!

YUPINS Restaurant
2016 CHRISTMAS MENU 995 baht
Bookings on Christmas Eve From 3pm until 9pm
Bookings on Christmas Day From 3pm until 9pm
A Choice of starters
1/ Yupins Smoked Salmon Salad
2/ Yupins Prawn Cocktail
3/ Yupins Spring Rolls
Main Course
4/ The traditional Roast turkey, roast potatoes,
vegetables, red wine gravy, Sausages wrapped in bacon,
stuffing and bread sauce.
5/ or a Thai dish from our menu.
A Choice of Desserts
6/ Yupins Christmas Pudding flambéed with cognac
served with brandy butter and custard
7/ Yupins Mango and sticky rice
8/ Yupins Ice Cream
To follow, Coffee and a dark mint chocolate.
Bookings call 087 062 9672 or 081 772 0679
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you!!

Love from Yupin xxx

yupin@yupins.com

www.facebook.com/yupinsrestaurant (http://www.facebook.com/yupinsrestaurant)

Smiles
December 23rd, 2016, 09:09
" ... with chopped iceberg lettuce ... "
Wow ... now there's a Michelin 3-star garnish if I've ever heard of one! What's next, boiled carrots?

(Hey, it's Lonely after all. Just can't help myself. But to be more respectful, it's difficult getting a "Y" and an "X" into a three word title).

lonelywombat
December 23rd, 2016, 09:43
Well a cut and paste from Yupins letter, published for those who enjoy dining out, is an excuse for Smiles to go on attack yet again

Why does Smiles not have the guts to write to Yupins and abuse him for his poor english. Congratulations to Surfcrest for supporting Smiles.

yupin@yupins.com

arsenal
December 23rd, 2016, 09:47
While I do actually quite like the posts about Yupins from Wombat I always find the way they are presented a little strange. Posted by Wombat but written in the first person with no reference to the writer. Odd.

And Smiles it is only by treating every single ingredient, no matter how humble with equal care and respect that a chef will attain 3 Michelin stars.

Mr Yupin. Wasabi with turkey? Cranberry sauce surely?

Happy Christmas to all three of you.

lonelywombat
December 23rd, 2016, 10:55
So easy to get into critical spirit without reading the Yupins signed email, if you are that way inclined.
quote from Yupins just for arsenal
hot Turkey smothered with Wasabi mayonnaise,
This quick recipe for wasabi aioli is fabulous on grilled fish, tofu, veggie burgers, and meats. It’s also excellent in sandwiches, and holds up well, with a shelf life of a week.
see google for links.

quote from bottom of Yupins email

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you!!

Love from Yupin xxx

yupin@yupins.com

arsenal
December 23rd, 2016, 11:04
Chill out Wombie. Have a mince pie.

Just out of interest. Do you receive anything complimentary or do you have any financial interest whatsoever in Yupins. It's just that you post regularly on their behalf but I don't recall you writing about any other restaurant let alone posting their menu. As I said I do quite like your posts on this very popular eaterie.

lonelywombat
December 23rd, 2016, 11:14
have had 2 requests already for details of the Wasabi Aioli

1 cup good quality commercial or homemade mayonnaise or Vegenaise
½ teaspoon wasabi powder mixed with 2 teaspoons water (or to taste)
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped chives or scallions
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds

lonelywombat
December 23rd, 2016, 11:19
Arsenal No I have no financial interest in Yupins and he does not even know my name. I do not get a discount but enjoy his knowledge of his extensive wine list and suggestions he makes when I want something different.
I realize it is different to those who follow your cheap breakfasts for under 100 baht, but I never asked you the question you just asked.
I put my name on his mailing list and when I get a message I post it.

arsenal
December 23rd, 2016, 11:25
Wombat wrote:
"I realize it is different to those who follow your cheap breakfasts for under 100 baht, but I never asked you the question you just asked."

Ooohhh...touche. Excellent reposte and a fair point. Well in that particular case I posted because it is wonderful value and high quality. (proper sausages, not franks) However I have also posted that the lady owner returned 3000 baht I had dropped so there was full disclosure. And I shall continue to push the food there for as long as it remains good. Just as I do other restaurants.

Please continue to post Yupins news letter. Perhaps preface it with a heading such as "From Yupins news letter."

Smiles
December 23rd, 2016, 12:23
Hey, don't get me wrong. I love Lonely in a strange way ... he is a man of no discernible sense of humour. And carrying on with a huge lump of grouchiness on his shoulder as he does requires a lot of work on Sawatdee. :(

But get real, I was talking about lettuce, not Lonely.

cdnmatt
December 23rd, 2016, 14:19
5 day old reheated turkey for only 995 baht. Fuck yeah, count me in!

arsenal
December 23rd, 2016, 14:30
Matt demonstrating his usual good cheer wrote:
"5 day old reheated turkey for only 995 baht. Fuck yeah, count me in!"

Perhaps they can print the menu in Braille for you.

cdnmatt
December 23rd, 2016, 14:44
Well, lonely said they already cooked off 12 turkeys the day before he started the OP, and are cooking another 4 the following day. So they're cooking the turkeys off about 5 days in advance, will store them in the fridge until the day, then throw them under some heat lamps for you guys. I'd expect that from a school or hospital cafeteria, not a 3 star michelin chef who is charging 995 baht/plate.

I can taste the dryness from here.... yum!

paperboy
December 23rd, 2016, 17:59
have to agree 100% with cdnmatt, unaccetable, 5 day old turkey. Ive never rated this place as ive said before on an other thread. Far too many other good resturants around.

bkkguy
December 23rd, 2016, 18:20
...with chopped iceberg lettuce...
Wow ... now there's a Michelin 3-star garnish if I've ever heard of one!
it is only by treating every single ingredient, no matter how humble with equal care and respect that a chef will attain 3 Michelin stars.

not necessarily singling out Yupins, but in Thailand the menu's promise of fresh crisp lettuce all too often turns out on the plate to be limp soggy strips of what could well be the waste from the Soylent Green factory, worthy only of a few Firestone raspberries!

bkkguy

lonelywombat
December 24th, 2016, 06:30
5 day old reheated turkey for only 995 baht. Fuck yeah, count me in!
It amazes me that members think that a chef cooks a turkey on demand and does not do any preparation for demand at meal times.
Pre cooking or partial cooking are necessary to meet demand. The comment from a reader that Yupins has 12 turkeys in a HUGE oven waiting for them to cook on Xmas Day caused me to chuckle.
I do not know what the bookings are for lunch,dinner and casual meals but the chef has to have the turkeys sliced ready for service and not all of that can be done on the same day.

Manforallseasons
December 24th, 2016, 10:15
No matter how you slice it lonely your reply is difficult to swallow!

cdnmatt
December 24th, 2016, 12:28
No, they are not partially cooking them, or at least I sure hope they're not. If they are, then steer clear unless you want a case of severe food posioning for Christmas. Yeah, with drinks and tip if I'm spending say 1500 baht on a meal the chef is calling a one day "special", I would expect the food to be fresh, not a 5 day old dog chew.

There's tons of kitchens out there that can handle 16 full turkeys in one day, and if his can't, he shouldn't be offering it, There's tons of things he could have done instead. Rotiserrie (sp) the tukey instead, as there's those huge rotisserie machines all over the place in Thailand, and they make chickens and ducks tender as anything, so I'm sure he could have rented 2 or 3 units for the day. Offer a nice duck (and maybe lobster) entree as well, to help quell the demand for turkey. Instead of cooking the turkeys whole, cut them up first and offer a few different turkey dishes. Maybe try to rent a connisary (sp) kitchen, although probably impossible on Chrisstmas day.

Those suggestions aren't very traditional, but at least the food would have been fresh, instead of 5 day old turkey that the rest of us only use to make turkey soup because it's too dry to do anything else with.

lonelywombat
December 24th, 2016, 16:49
No matter how you slice it lonely your reply is difficult to swallow!

From the boys I have seen you with over the many years , I am sure you could manage.

a447
December 24th, 2016, 19:21
Touché!

Marsilius
December 24th, 2016, 22:42
Hey, don't get me wrong. I love Lonely in a strange way ... he is a man of no discernible sense of humour. And carrying on with a huge lump of grouchiness on his shoulder as he does requires a lot of work on Sawatdee. :(

Maybe I am one of the few who has met Lonely in the flesh (albeit in Prague, rather than Pattaya) - but I found him a pleasant chap with a perfectly reasonable sense of humour and no particularly discernible "lump of grouchiness". Leave the poor guy alone!

And, by the way, for someone like me who, despite visiting LOS regularly for more than 20 years, still hasn't developed a taste for Thai food, Yupins does provide a cheap'n'cheerful - if bland - alternative.

paperboy
December 25th, 2016, 03:16
cheap and cheerfull its not
been twice in all my visits
for what you get its not cheep
i dont know why they promote this resturante

lonelywombat
December 25th, 2016, 06:02
cheap and cheerfull its not
been twice in all my visits
for what you get its not cheep
i dont know why they promote this resturante

Who said it was cheap and cheerful. You have been twice with your Thai [Cambodian] BF. Very few resturants that cater for English diners are favoured by Asians.
You pay extra for service, the quality and presentation of cooking. The wine is better than most similar restaurants. It is not fine dining but certainly better than say the Ritz.
Regardless of where you and BF decide to eat his opinion will influence yours.

BTW the ads that appear on my PC show Zing at $26Aus per night. If you pay that price then Yupins is probably out of your range

arsenal
December 25th, 2016, 07:53
Wombie wrote:
"BTW the ads that appear on my PC show Zing at $26Aus per night. If you pay that price then Yupins is probably out of your range."

This is a little silly. I pay about $20 US per night for my three star hotel with it's (for me) perfect location, big clean modern room, huge comfy bed, no attitude whatsoever when I bring my beautiful boys back, it's rooftop swimming pool and 24 hour security. It's got absolutely everything I want and at a good price. And I don't think Yupins or any other of that class of restaurant is really out of anybodies range.

I am labeling this thread Turkeygate.

Manforallseasons
December 25th, 2016, 07:54
I have been to Yupins twice I thought the food was way better than average, the owner was quite nice and his wine list was extensive and the per bottle price was the best I have seen in Pattaya however, I agree that precooking turkeys days in advance sounds awful.

arsenal
December 25th, 2016, 08:11
Let's give the management a break and assume that it was more of an attempt to get the taste buds going rather than an actual kitchen diary. After all Yupins is not that big and the number quoted was about 12 turkeys I think. That's an awful lot of turkey. they'd need about 200 customers to eat it all. So poetic license. However I can tell you that if you want the final product to be as good as possible you are far better to cook the turkey very very slowly with considerable water the day before. Cook the crown and the legs separately. Chill it, slice it and reheat it to the correct temperature. 78 degrees C.

Smiles
December 25th, 2016, 10:29
I have been to Yupins twice I thought the food was way better than average,
OK fair enough. But I also have had dinner at Yupins twice. Each time the meal was hardly more than mediocre and certainly nothing to write home about.
Nothing particularly bad regarding the owner ... a jolly dude, although I normally can take or leave 'jolly-ness' if too much of it is presented at one sitting.

paperboy
December 25th, 2016, 18:04
And, by the way, for someone like me who, despite visiting LOS regularly for more than 20 years, still hasn't developed a taste for Thai food, Yupins does provide a cheap'n'cheerful - if bland - alternative.

qoted from Marsilius
Thats WHO said it,
and yes prob way out of my range of places to eat, hahahahahahahahaha
Merry Christmas

cdnmatt
December 25th, 2016, 19:59
So we have things like "bland", "mediocre at best", "decent alternative" being thrown around... Then find out he serves 5 day old protein as a "special".

Definitely a place I'll make sure to drop about $60 on a meal. Even if you're in downtown Vancouver, that's not overly cheap for a one-person meal. It's fair and reasonable, but only if the quality matches the price.

Sorry, I love to cook, and irks me when I see a so-called 3 star michelin chef fleecing the public like that.

francois
December 26th, 2016, 19:20
matt, you haven't been to Yupins to dine, so why knock it?

I have been there several times and always a good meal. Their set menu is only 470 Baht which is a bargain.

arsenal
December 26th, 2016, 20:00
Matt wrote:
"Sorry, I love to cook, and irks me when I see a so-called 3 star Michelin chef fleecing the public like that." Who mentioned 3 Michelin stars with regards to Yupins?

Getting 3 Michelin stars is virtually impossible. This is partly on account of Michelins' total refusal to say exactly what the criteria is. The documentary listed below is well worth watching if you can stop bitching about a small neighbourhood restaurant for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f-j1ctaQqw&spfreload=10

lonelywombat
December 31st, 2016, 11:29
Yupin Marsh <yupin@yupins.com>

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/images/cleardot.gif16:15 (12 minutes ago)
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

Hi,

Just to let you know that Yupins is joining the bucket and sand brigade 'going on holiday' tomorrow Sunday and opening again on the following Sunday, 8th January.

Also to wish you 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' !!!
Many thanks indeed for all the support during the last year, we have enjoyed seeing you and most of all feeding you our special meals.
Mr Yupin says to thank you also for confirming his wine testing, and he will continue to be of service to you in that respect for many years to come.
My English is not perfect yet but I think that is what he means.
He will be up and about again soon so I can check.

Buddha/God bless you all and We hope you enjoy 2017 like no other.
May much health and wealth come to you.

I look forward to seeing you next year!!!

Love from Yupin xxx

yupin@yupins.com

Attachments area