PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones / SIM cards ...

Smiles
January 14th, 2006, 22:04
OK, please reply to me like I'm an idiot.
This subject is not an original one, though I cannot recall this particular question being asked.

In the spirit of The Fourty Year Old Virgin (which I watched last night: just OK, nothing great, some very funny moments, stay away if waxing hair makes you squeemish) ... a confession ... I've never had a mobile phone. :D

I've never wanted one.
I disdain dudes who wip it out in coffee shops and restaurants. I think there's seldom anything as rude as a person who takes calls in the middle of an in-person conversation ~ even if it's about nothing.

But I'll be getting one when in Thailand long term, at least for a test run for cost. If I can stay away from regular utility applications and associated monthly bills in so far as it it makes sense I will. Using a mobile phone as my "regular" phone would just be an experiment. If it becomes wildly expensive I'll go the home connection route.

So .. about these SIM cards. Aproximately how long (i.e. how many minutes I guess is the question) would ~ for instance ~ a 500 baht SIM card last (1) for local calls, (2) LD calls within Thailand, (3) LD overseas calls to ~ or instance ~ Canada?

Cheers ...

bucknaway
January 15th, 2006, 00:17
Good Question. I am looking forward to reading some answers....

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=532

January 15th, 2006, 00:29
Actually, I have always loved the old concept of two tin cans connected with a string...but that is not too good for long distance.

Sorry Smiles...can you tell that I have nothing to say today? Just felt like giving an answer which is like most of my knowledge of the Kingdom...i don't know nothing.

I usually take an old cell phone with me because the boys usually talk me out of anything nice. :twisted:

TrongpaiExpat
January 15th, 2006, 02:00
Smiles, your confusing a sim card with a value added on card.
To answer some questions
1. for service provider Orange 1 baht per min
2. In network in Thailand anywhere 1 baht per min
3. LD overseas varies, last call I made to US from Thailand, about 15 minutes was 60B by dialing with a 7 before the county code. Without the 7, it goes to another LD provider that cost a lot more.

I use one of the basic models cell phones and can't see the need for all the extras, bluetooth, camera, smart video, mp3 and on and on.

Smiles
January 15th, 2006, 02:13
" ... your confusing a sim card with a value added on card ... "
Then what is a SIM card? I was of the understanding it was the little credit-card type thing which you purchase with varying amounts, and which last the length of time it takes to go through it, then you buy another card.

Am I wrong?
Why is all this so confusing?? :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: I'm obviously not really understanding something ... but what???? Just so you know, Suphot attempts to explain all this stuff to me and I'm still lost ... go away in a pout ... no sanook tonight, honey!

Cheers ...

Smiles
January 15th, 2006, 02:33
The calling card/money card/phone card is what pays for the calls.
A telephone card, or phone card for short, is a small card, usually resembling a credit card, used to pay for telephone services. The exact system for payment, and the way in which the card is used to place a phone call, depend on the overall telecommunication system. But in general a phone card is purchased with a specific balance, from which the cost of calls made is deducted. Phone cards are disposable; when the balance is exhausted, you buy a new card, rather than having the old one re-filled.
Thanks RainWalker!!! That's exactly what I was looking for.
So ~ the 2nd part of my original question ~ assuming very limited local calling, and (let's say) 2 or 3 short LD calls back to Canada every month . . . would the calling card route be substantially less (or more) cost than going through the hassle of applying for and using a regular wired home phone?

Cheers ...

Mi Cow Chai-old
January 15th, 2006, 02:47
When I am in Thailand I use a sim card (phone number) I bought from 1 2 call. I put the sim card in my unlocked GSM phone. Then I buy minutes from 1 2 call. By punching in the number on the phone card the minutes are transferred to the phone. That's it. When I run low on minutes I buy more.

January 15th, 2006, 17:30
http://www.happy.co.th/ (DTAC)
Various pre-paid pay as you go products. Best deal on this site for long calls appears to be 5bt for the first minute, then 0.25bt for each minute thereafter. Other products also available.

I don't remember where one buys dtac cards from though. Tried the AIS site but it was very slow.

Davey612
January 31st, 2006, 11:56
Ok then, anyone else has an opinion as to which company's service is best for the following scenario? Tourist in Thailand, mainly receiving phone calls from overseas, and making occasional calls in Thailand and overseas? I plan to bring my unlocked GSM phone during my next trip.

Orange, DTAc, AIS?

January 31st, 2006, 12:39
Until this last trip I have always carried my mobile from home to LOS.

Just over 2 years ago I had my mobile stolen from my hotel room at poseiden, and was distraught for some days. I reported the theft and had some satisfaction that my telco were able to immobilise the set so it could not be used with a new simcard.

Just last week before coming home I was in the MBK store in BKK and they had signs up they were able to unblock, change passwords and so on for all mobiles. I asked a question and was shocked that they could reactivate any immobilised mobile without any questions

As I had just upgraded my mobile before my last trip, I took advice from here to take an old mobile and buy a sim card in 7/11 on arrival. This gave me a thai number and 500 baht of calls. I think about 750b all up.

The savings on calls home huge, the convenience on making local calls and having a number for locals to ring me, great. Walking into a 7/11 to top up when needed no inconvenience

You dont need to understand the technicalties but if you can get a cheap old mobile before you leave even better. As for the rest, the staff did everything for me in seconds.

January 31st, 2006, 13:19
I buy a "1 2 Call" SIM card at Big C and top up at the same time with 300 Baht credit. That's always been more than enough for my short trips but I never call abroad so have no idea how much that costs. My old mobile is unlocked so no problems but getting any mobile unlocked is very easy.

Jon

Brad the Impala
January 31st, 2006, 13:31
When calling abroad from Thailand, put 008 before country code, eg 44 for UK, so 00844, for very cheap call costs, 2/3 baht perminute to UK.

TOQ
January 31st, 2006, 21:18
Brad, do you use 12 Call for your provider.. That sounds like a cheap rate and would like to try it..

thanks
john

January 31st, 2006, 22:19
Smiles.

If you only want to make a few phone calls (and arn't interested in getting your own internet acccess) then a mobile phone is the best option by far.

Local calls are quite cheap and international calls can be made cheaply using a Phonenet card. To use this you call a thai phone number then key in your phonenet number followed by the tel no overseas you want to call. Phonenet cards can be got from most 7/11 stores.

I understand there are two kinds of sim card available: a cheap Thai only card and a card that alllows you to call internationally which costs more. Get the Thai only card as phonenet works with this sim card and you don't have to spend so much each month on phone calls to keep your sim card alive (in Thailand, sim cards are cancelled if you don't keep topping them up with credits.)

One cautionary note. Since you have a Thai Boyfriend, you will find that he keeps needing to borrow your mobile phone to make calls because:

his card has run out,

he forget his phone

he want to surprise the person he is calling

your phone is a nicer colour, etc etc

Addf at least an extra 500 baht per month for Thai boyfriend running costs!

yaraboy
January 31st, 2006, 22:29
I have used 12 call (AIS) for last 2 years. As I want to keep my number I buy big chunks of time to keep it (between visits) 2000 baht gets you 200 days. This gives me more time than I need so I make lots of frivilous overseas calls..............It would be cheaper to buy a new SIM (ph. number) each visit but I rationalize my profligate ways by noting that I have a permanent Thai # and loads of time for about $75 a year. To buy this much time you have to go to an AIS office

January 31st, 2006, 22:47
But if you get the cheaper Thai only sim card you can keep your number for about 1,000 baht per year in calls. You can still make (far cheaper) international mcalls using a phonet card.

January 31st, 2006, 23:01
If you are going to bring an old Mobile for use in Thailand, remember it must be a GSM Tri-band phone. Many mobiles in the US (from providers SPRINT and VERIZON) are not GSM phones.

Asianad. Disturbing to hear you had your room broken into at the Poseidon. It's been awhile since I stayed there, don't remember if they have room safes or not. I only stay at hotels with room safes nowdays...

yaraboy
January 31st, 2006, 23:53
I have more options using my method................Can you receive international calls using a Thai only SIM card ?
Really $75 is a deal considering I pay that in 2 1/2 months here with minimal long distance

colmx
February 1st, 2006, 03:20
Hi Smiles
As Suphot already has a mobile phone, i suggest you invest in a Pre-pay mobile now from a canadian GSM network (A quick search shows: Microcell or Rogers AT&T)

This way you can send him regular text messages and he can text you back... Today, Tomorrow and everyday.... Why wait till u move there?

It should not cost you more than 3-4000 baht to buy a prepay phone in canada and providing its a Known brand, such as a Nokia it can be easily unlocked for use in Thailand when you het there...

There is nothing more satisfying than a <ahem> Textual Relationship!

February 1st, 2006, 04:06
Just over 2 years ago I had my mobile stolen from my hotel room at poseiden

I was not broken into but the door was open as room cleaning was being done.

a former staff member was hanging around with the room cleaners.

that issue was resolved quickly and I have stayed there twice since.

Yes they do have room safes but I would never put my mobile in the safe

Dick
February 1st, 2006, 04:24
Davey
If you're not making many outgoing calls, the choice of tariff doesn't strike me as an issue. It's network location availability.
My bf tells me DTAC and GSM both have that, favouring GSM out in the styxx, and DTAC in the city. He uses 1-2-go (OK) himself because he got a deal on the tariff (years ago) when he bought it, and now keeps it going to retain his same phone number.
Apparently most of the providers offer regular tariff deals... probably best to ask your boy special (or next best thing) when you arrive, if tariff is important. I got 5b 1st minute therafter 0.25B/min on DTAC in December, but confess I let the bf phone to grill them on what was available. He chose that tariff because he tends to speak long time to his mother (on my phone!), and wanted to save me money, lol.
Everyone tells me to steer clear of Orange because they have limited network connection, and 'many friend complain no signal'.

Brad the Impala
February 1st, 2006, 14:41
Yes TOQ, that system works with 12call, GSM, TOT......the lot I think.

Davey612
February 1st, 2006, 21:23
Thanks for all your comments.

Sounds so far that AIS (1-2 go) may provide the best coverage. Maybe the best way is to get a Thai-only Sim card and buy the suggested pre-paid long distance phone cards to use when calling overseas.

As another member pointed out, U.S. travellers must have a GSM tri-band phone that is unlocked. The main two GSM systems in the U.S. are Cingular and T-mobile. I think all Cingular phones are locked while T-mobiles are already unlocked. How to unlock a phone? Go to your cell phone reseller. I had mine unlocked at a Chinatown store for $10.

I vaguely remember a message thread on the resource board for this, but it seems to have disappeared.

February 1st, 2006, 22:59
T-mobile mobiles are "Locked" as well. I tried putting my BFs SIM Card in my T-mobile phone while in BKK, and it wouldn't work. But as you say, it can be easily "Unlocked".