PDA

View Full Version : Letting your Thai BF communicate with your family?

cdnmatt
November 14th, 2016, 10:31
How many of you have Thai BFs that regularly communicate with your family back in your home countries? Just due to how things went, my guy ended up installing Skype on his phone, and ended up with lots of family members on it -- my parents, both my brothers, and even a sister-in-law. After a nightmare, I managed to access my encrypted data and got my LINUX computer setup again a few days ago, but still haven't bothered installing Skype, so all communication is still going through him, and he's back in Laos at the moment.

Of course he thinks this is an excellent setup, because it's all new to him, and he thinks being a part of the family like this is pretty cool. I can't say I have the same feelings, although not too bothered about it either. I can still manage to mash at my tablet screen enough to answer a Line call, so for the past few days it's been him calling me from Laos to give me updates on who called, what they said, etc.... Little weird.

Anyway, question remains. How many of your Thai BFs have good communication with your family back home?

francois
November 14th, 2016, 11:52
My Thai BF has no contact with my family back home; fact is I don't have any family anymore.

justaguy
November 14th, 2016, 12:39
Well I have a Lao boyfriend and he certainly communicates with my family. In fact, since my mother and him work at the same place, he talks with my mother far more often then me.

Old git
November 14th, 2016, 12:47
It depends on the nature of your relationship.

If you are attracted to his body, and he is attracted to your wallet, having him chat to your family is likely to cause problems, for a variety of reasons.

If, on the other hand, he has never rented his backside, and you have a genuine emotional bond, getting to know each other's families can help strengthen your mutual understanding of each other, and make it easier to bridge the cultural divide.

justaguy
November 14th, 2016, 13:43
It depends on the nature of your relationship.

If you are attracted to his body, and he is attracted to your wallet, having him chat to your family is likely to cause problems, for a variety of reasons.

If, on the other hand, he has never rented his backside, and you have a genuine emotional bond, getting to know each other's families can help strengthen your mutual understanding of each other, and make it easier to bridge the cultural divide.

Yeah in fact in that last case I would say it is perfectly normal and expected for the boyfriend to have contact with the family, that's why the Letting part of the OP threw me off a little bit.

francois
November 14th, 2016, 15:26
As mentioned earlier I have no family at home plus the BF has no family which effectively negates the need for communication between families. Nonetheless, even if our families were alive I doubt there would be any contacts between them.

fountainhall
November 14th, 2016, 17:06
How many of your Thai BFs have good communication with your family back home?
Considering your bf comes from a dirt poor family in Laos and presumably therefore did not have the best education - and not long ago he got scared so shitless he ran away when Immigration asked where he'd be staying in Thailand - I am extremely surprised his English is not only good but good enough to converse with several members of your family. It's not only a question of grammar and vocabulary, it's the speed at which those who have rarely lived outside their home countries tend to speak - and of course accents. My Thai bf has a university degree, has worked in a 5-star hotel and speaks very good English. He won't go near having a conversation with a family member online.

justaguy
November 14th, 2016, 17:55
Considering your bf comes from a dirt poor family in Laos and presumably therefore did not have the best education - and not long ago he got scared so shitless he ran away when Immigration asked where he'd be staying in Thailand - I am extremely surprised his English is not only good but good enough to converse with several members of your family. It's not only a question of grammar and vocabulary, it's the speed at which those who have rarely lived outside their home countries tend to speak - and of course accents. My Thai bf has a university degree, has worked in a 5-star hotel and speaks very good English. He won't go near having a conversation with a family member online.

Some of those Lao are smart enough to master a language at great speed. My boyfriend speaks excellent Dutch, Thai, Lao and passable English and a bit of Japanese on the side, never had a decent education either.

Smiles
November 14th, 2016, 21:55
Pot speaks on the phone fairly regularly (usually when I phone, but end up handing it over him when I've finished. He never asks specifically, but talks a mile a minute when I turn it over to him) with my sister, eight friends of mine who have visited us in Hua Hin, and a couple of couples who have not met him.
Why it's 'uncomfortable' for you I cannot imagine ~ you don't seem to know either, but you are definitely entering into "you think too much" territory ~ but obviously the key is that he speaks english very well.

Are you still blind?

francois
November 14th, 2016, 23:42
Are you still blind?

Are you referring to cdnmatt?

cdnmatt
November 15th, 2016, 00:01
Considering your bf comes from a dirt poor family in Laos and presumably therefore did not have the best education -

Well, he has a high school diploma. Granted, he graduated a few years late due to his parents separating, but he does have one. Then I don't know... I think it was moreless when he was younger he decided to himself, "I'm getting out of this dump when I'm older", and decided it wasss in his best interest to pay attention in English classes. But yeah, he actually speaks very decent English, although is absolutely shite in other subjects. He asked me who Hitler was, I asked the same question back, so he took a shot in the dark at it with, "the guy from Russia who saved everyone from WW3". Oh, foor fuck sakes....

Are you still blind?

Is that your way of saying my typing is getting better? :-)

Yep, still blind. As it turns out, optic nerves don't regenerate like fingernails. Starting to get pretty good at it though. Still can't go into town to do things like supply runs by myself, but aside from that, I'm pretty much independant again.