PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment to be toned down.

arsenal
October 13th, 2016, 23:28
The prime minister has said there will be a period on mourning for a year and entertainment functions must be "toned down" for a month. I wonder what that will mean?

latintopxxx
October 14th, 2016, 00:49
...drinking beer out of plastic /paper glasses at telephone bar???

Nathan B
October 14th, 2016, 01:13
I will be in BKK for a few days at the end of the month. I hope toned down doesn't mean turned off completely.

frequent
October 14th, 2016, 03:46
I cancelled my Xmas break in Thailand a few days ago

gaymandenmark
October 14th, 2016, 05:17
I cancelled my Xmas break in Thailand a few days ago

Why?

fedssocr
October 14th, 2016, 06:05
I think pretty much all live entertainment has been canceled or postponed. Certainly several high profile concerts and music festivals have been put off.

I saw a report at BangkokPost that all TV channels will be showing the same loop in monochrome for the next month - including all foreign satellite channels.

gerefan2
October 14th, 2016, 08:35
How sad....

Up2U
October 14th, 2016, 08:41
I think pretty much all live entertainment has been canceled or postponed. Certainly several high profile concerts and music festivals have been put off.

I saw a report at BangkokPost that all TV channels will be showing the same loop in monochrome for the next month - including all foreign satellite channels.

All my foreign Truevisions channels are showing the same Thai documentary about the King. No more football or CNN for me.

gerefan2
October 14th, 2016, 08:44
"No more football or CNN for me. "

Excellent

Up2U
October 14th, 2016, 08:57
"No more football or CNN for me. "

Excellent

Thanks a lot! ��

frequent
October 14th, 2016, 12:32
Why?
The following posts to yours include answers are the tip of the iceberg, and don't say "Oh, it will all blow over by Christmas". Most of the foreign press did the lip-service "What a great life" thing in the first few hours and have now moved on to speculating if (but sometimes when) the political instability will start. Just remember the Red Shirts didn't go away, and despite valiant attempts by the junta to lock up every opposition politician they possibly can, there are those who've been waiting for this day to come so they can protest without accusations of disloyalty to a dying king. It's not a question of if but when.

Old git
October 14th, 2016, 14:41
I'm pretty convinced that the reason the military took charge (on this occasion) was to oversee the regnal changeover. I also think it sensible that they did, given the polarising nature of modern Thai politics.

As far as the entertainment industry is concerned, I have long thought that the appropriate way to respect important religious and royal events is for bars to turn off their music rather than lock their doors. Tourism is not only an important part of the Thai economy, but is also a lifeline for many families who feel the lack of a welfare state most acutely.

I therefore find the phrase 'toned down' welcome and pragmatic..

Moses
October 14th, 2016, 15:16
BANGKOK — In the wake of His Majesty King Bhumibol’s death Thursday, the authorities have called for 30 days without entertainment.Most events this weekend have been canceled, and some venues announced they would close temporarily, either for the day, through the weekend or until further notice. Some will remain open as usual, only canceling special events.
What does this mean for people living in the capital? What will be open and what will be closed? We put together what we know to expect so far. Check back for updates, and as a general rule: Call ahead first.
Restaurants and Cafes
Most restaurants and cafes will open as usual, but patrons should check with any planned venue as some have announced they will close.
Movies
Movie theaters will remain open, but some chains were closed Friday. Check their websites.
SF Cinema: All branches are closed Friday
Major Cineplex: Open as usual
House RCA: Closed on Friday, open Saturday onward
Lido and Scala: Open as usual
Nightlife
Soi Cowboy, popular among tourists, has announced it will be closed indefinitely.
Alcohol Sales
Alcohol will be sold during the usual hours of 11am-2pm, from 5pm-midnight, according to Samarn Futrakul, of the alcohol control board. Alcohol sales will be banned on Saturday, which is Wan Ok Phansa, or the last day of Buddhist Lent.
Clubs
Some nightlife venues will go dark, some not. Again, best to check ahead. Beam and Demo in Thonglor, Levels and Sugar in Nana and Silom’s Whiteline announced they were closed until further notice.
Bars
While bars will be allowed to operate, they must close at 1am and no types of parties will be tolerated within them, Thanakorn Kuptajit of the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association said.
However some bars will be closed this weekend, so again — check ahead.
TV
Although the junta is returning broadcasting authority to the stations at midnight, there will be limitations on what can be shown, with no entertainment programs allowed. Channel 3 posted on Facebook that all soap operas and series won’t be allowed. Announcement of when they will resume will be made later.
Concerts
The sold-out Morrissey concert has been cancelled. Refunds are available at places of purchase, according to organizer Viji Corp.
Nineties rockers Modern Dog postponed their 22nd-anniversary concert until further notice, according BEC-Tero Entertainment.
Special Events
The Oct. 17 Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan is canceled.
Saturday’s Kolour Warehouse Party is also canceled, with refund information to be announced.
The Color Run event this weekend at Airport Rail Link Makkasan is canceled with the condolences from organizers. Information on full refunds will be posted on its Facebook page.
The book expo at Queen Sirikit National Convention Center which began on Oct. 13, will run according to plan until Oct. 24. While discussion panels on Atrium stage and meeting rooms can be arranged as normal, all broadcast and entertainment activities in every booth are forbidden.
Theatre
Rachadalai Theatre has canceled all October performances of “Lordlai Mangkorn The Musical,” which was to open tonight. More shows and ticket refunds are to be announced.
“Firefly’s Tales The Musical” at Siam Pic-Ganesha Theatre also cancel 13 forthcoming shows. Tickets can be refunded at Thai Ticket Major.
Additional reporting by Chayanit Itthipongmaetee and Lobsang Dundup Sherpa Subirana

fountainhall
October 14th, 2016, 17:32
To confirm one point it Moses' post. I just spoke to truevisions and it was confirmed that all programming will be returned to normal at midnight tonight. I did not ask if any programming might not be permitted but she gave the impression that foreign channel programming may not be affected.

bkkguy
October 14th, 2016, 19:53
Additional reporting by Chayanit Itthipongmaetee and Lobsang Dundup Sherpa Subirana this is your idea of "fair use" when doing a copy/paste of a published news article is it? even though it does not indicate the original copyright holder? bkkguy

Moses
October 14th, 2016, 20:19
this is your idea of "fair use" when doing a copy/paste of a published news article is it? even though it does not indicate the original copyright holder? bkkguy

no, it is my idea to bring here information which I got from messenger... have no idea what's source from

Up2U
October 14th, 2016, 20:22
The drinking bars in the Jomtien complex were open tonight, not sure about the Venue show. There was black bunting on the school at Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road. The massage parlors were open with staff in black or white. Night markets are open with staff instructed to where black for 30 days. Traffic was very busy as it was a non workday for many people.

Surfcrest
October 14th, 2016, 21:39
this is your idea of "fair use" when doing a copy/paste of a published news article is it? even though it does not indicate the original copyright holder? bkkguy
What does it matter to you?

Surfcrest

Magnum
October 14th, 2016, 22:40
Stay in Bangkok and have the same fun as always. Gogos are open, just the music is Not that loud. Fresh Boys, classsic and super A as usual. Didnt stay for Show.

Stevebsu
October 15th, 2016, 12:39
The international news channels are back, but most articles about Thailand are blacked out until they are over. At the bars the music is toned down but everything else is the same. I went to Calypso last night and the show went on but no alcohol was served.

bkkguy
October 15th, 2016, 19:03

Surfcrest

at various times in my life I have produced works covered by copyright and I like to see copyright respected, for my own original creative works and for the original works of others

more to the point why doesn't it matter to you?

you are a web site publisher and someone fairy intimately involved with the production and maintenance of your web site has posted material that when queried he readily admits he has copied from elsewhere but he made no attempt to identify the material as anything other than his own work in the original post

bkkguy

Moses
October 15th, 2016, 19:33
Thailand is now in an official period of mourning following the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
In this regard, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like all visitors to Thailand to continue with their travel plans as normal. Furthermore, kindly be advised of the following:
• Many Thai people will be wearing black or white clothing as a sign of mourning. This is not required of visitors but if possible, they should wear sombre and respectful clothing when in public.
• Visitors should refrain from conducting any inappropriate or disrespectful behaviour.
• Tourist attractions will be open as usual with the exception of Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emerald Buddha) and the Grand Palace, as they will be the venue of the Royal Funeral Rites.
• The Government has asked for the cooperation from the entertainment venues; such as, bars and nightclubs to consider the opening of their business operations during this time. The decision will be made by the individual owners.
• Most of the traditional and cultural events will be taking place as usual, although the celebrations may be changed for appropriateness as a mark of respect, or the events may be dedicated to the memory of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
• All transport, banks, hospitals and other public services will be operating as usual.
• The related authorities have stepped up safety and security measures for all Thais and visitors to facilitate their travelling around the country.
• For any enquiries, please contact our TAT domestic offices or Tel.: 1672.
TAT would like to thank all visitors for their understanding and supporting Thailand during this period of time.

Tourism Authority of Thailand
14 October 2016 at 16.00 hrs.

Moses
October 15th, 2016, 19:38
he has copied from elsewhere but he made no attempt to identify the material as anything other than his own work in the original post

bkkguy

"Your opinion is very important for us" :dirol_mini:

Esp. when you are using rude "he" instead of nickname.

Surfcrest
October 16th, 2016, 05:38
more to the point why doesn't it matter to you?

you are a web site publisher and someone fairy intimately involved with the production and maintenance of your web site has posted material that when queried he readily admits he has copied from elsewhere but he made no attempt to identify the material as anything other than his own work in the original post

bkkguy
You must be new here.

Surfcrest

Old git
October 16th, 2016, 06:07
The laws on copyright never envisaged the digital era.

I have produced a number of instructional videos in my own field of expertise that I have posted on YouTube without adverts, so that others may be better informed. I will never earn a penny for my efforts and am entirely comfortable about that.

I have no issue with Artistes charging admission to their live performances, or fees for very recent recordings, but the idea that copyright can extend beyond a year after production is now an anachronism and should be binned..

Yraen
October 16th, 2016, 06:22
To BKKGuy.

In principle, I agree with you. However, one must also be pragmatic.

Do you realise that the Internet would collapse if the only material that could be displayed was "original work"? Especially when it comes to material that is intended for public consumption, like news broadcasts and similar.

You appear very uptight about something that is not affecting you nor in your control.
So, yes you are correct. But you need to let your shoulders slump a little and get on with enjoying your life.

If you are concerned about your own work, I strongly suggest that you should not publish it to the Web. I believe most people see anything on the Web as being 'open domain'.

To Surfcrest.

May I suggest that a link to advisory material etc would be sufficient, rather than a 'cut-and-paste' replication.

Cheers.

Blueskytoday
October 16th, 2016, 07:44
This is boring..

fountainhall
October 16th, 2016, 15:03
at various times in my life I have produced works covered by copyright and I like to see copyright respected
As have I and as do I. Yet despite written agreements with publishers, I find some of my work is openly available on quite a few internet sites without any form of accreditation. So what can I do? Sue a publisher who lives in the UK because it is not taking action? Threaten to sue the sites that use my material when I am actually made aware of such use? And what if those sites tell me to F O? I am in no financial position to sue anyone even if I could find out who to sue. So I have no choice but accept that unless I had a much larger bank balance, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it in 99.99 % of cases.

the idea that copyright can extend beyond a year after production is now an anachronism and should be binned.
The law on copyright was extended some years ago to 70 years! As for recordings, there is a case here in Thailand where a so-called Thai musician is all but passing off as his own a large series of CDS. Yet these were actually produced by several major international labels and stolen by a man in the UK running a website where you can buy such items "copyright free" for around US$37 per recording. The Association of British Orchestras has been on the case for years and one major label did sue him. Somehow, the judge ruled against the label despite a huge volume of evidence. So what chance would us minnows have?

catawampuscat
October 16th, 2016, 15:11

Surfcrest

Curmudgeons don't need a reason

Oliver
October 16th, 2016, 15:17
Returning to the entertainment on offer, while bars in Sunee and Boyztown were closed on Thursday evening, I noticed that the gay massage joints were open. Was this still the case on Friday, the day I came home?
By the way, the airport was busy that morning but I saw only perhaps three people wearing black. I wonder what other posters with boyfriends in Thailand are hearing from them? I have my own views as to how widespread the grief is.

fountainhall
October 17th, 2016, 10:03
On the issue of entertainment, bars and copyright, does bkkguy - or anyone for that matter - seriously believe that even one of these bars pays for the music it uses night after night? That is almost all copyright material and protected under Thailand's 1978 Copyright Act for 50 years. Like other countries, I expect there is a standard music licence which can be purchased from the relevant copyright society here. But I don't even know how effective that is. If it had teeth, John Williams would have earned quite a bit for the number of times the opening to Star Wars has been endlessly played prior to the start of endless shows over decades!

bkkguy
October 17th, 2016, 19:34
Like other countries, I expect there is a standard music licence which can be purchased from the relevant copyright society here.

the topic of this thread is "Entertainment to be toned down" so I am surprised that stand-up comedy routines like this are allowed - I was left ROTFLMAO

I know at least a few, and I would be surprised if not most, of the venues have one or more of the "standard" licenses from the many competing "relevant" copyright "authorities" in Thailand and if royalties are not making their way into the pockets of John Williams, and particularly those of less well-known artists and writers, then I am fairly sure the venue owners are not the major villains in the piece

and it would appear that many people here would rather be discussing the price and availability of a dick for sucking rather than whether the Star Wars theme should now be in the public domain and the evils of the record labels, movie studios, ever-extending copyright protection times and people who copy/paste news items so I will bow out of the discussion at this point!

bkkguy

Uranus
October 18th, 2016, 14:50
I thought this board was about gay issues in Thailand and beyond, but if you are worried about copyright abuses, here is a starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copyright_collection_societies

fountainhall
October 18th, 2016, 16:46
if you are worried about copyright abuses, here is a starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copyright_collection_societies
It's not accurate as there is no listing for Thailand. The country does have a music royalty collection agency but I am still doubtful that it has got round to gogo bars. The local agency does not have enough staff to do more than spend most of its time checking on live concerts, monitoring the output of radio stations and canned music in major hotels.

francois
October 18th, 2016, 18:35
As I recall, from what I heard before, it is ok to play foreign music but if Thai music, then royalties are imposed.

scottish-guy
October 18th, 2016, 19:52
I suspect you're half right Francois -

- you missed out that if it's farangs listening to the Thai music, the royalties are doubled

:D