PDA

View Full Version : How does the Prime Minister Justify this Egregious Waste of Money?

fountainhall
October 5th, 2016, 22:24
Almost a week ago the Deputy Prime Minister led a 38-member entourage of Thai Minsters, civil servants and assorted others to a recently convened Asean-US defence meeting in Hawaii. The Prime Minister is on record as having pressured government officials some time ago to use economy class tickets when travelling out of Thailand. With TG having no flight to Honolulu, did Prawit Wongsuwon and his party take TG to Manila, Osaka, Nagoya or Tokyo and then other airlines from there? That would certainly have been the least expensive way of getting to Hawaii.

Ah, but what is preached is not always practised. Using the excuse that TG does not fly to Honolulu, the Deputy Prime MInister decided he could not be expected to fly on any other national airline. So what did he do? He charted a plane from TG! Chartered! And not just any ordinary small plane that would require a stop to refuel. This high-minded Minister had much more grandiose ideas. He chartered a TG Boeing 747-400 with a seating capacity of up to 416 passengers - all for a total of 39 people! No doubt this enabled every one in the delegation to be accommodated in first and business class, contrary to the Prime Minister's policy.

The excuse given by a defence spokesman was that it was necessary to charter a plane because it would have been inconvenient and inappropriate to use commercial flights that would require several connecting flights! And when, I wonder, did this spokesman bother to check airline timetables? Only one change is required for flights to Honolulu from BKK.

Total cost for this 3-day junket? A puny Bt. 20.9 million of taxpayers money. Allegedly the cost of just the food on the plane was Bt. 600,000 - around Bt. 15,000 per passenger for a maximum of four meals each. Yet Prawit stated the on-board food was simple! Simple? Not surprisingly he denies the claim of the one reporter who was on the trip that he was seen tucking into caviar. The army spokesman has now said he refuses to answer any more questions and all details will be forwarded to the Auditor General. No doubt to disappear in a mountain of other paperwork!

Not surprisingly, this junket has caused a storm on social media.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1101268/criticism-grows-of-prawits-charter-flight-to-hawaii

scottish-guy
October 5th, 2016, 23:02
I don't really see what you're getting excited about - compared to the British royal family, the Thai PM seems positively pennypinching

francois
October 5th, 2016, 23:58
Come on Fountainhall, even I wouldn't fly Cattle Class to Hawaii. Caviar and Champagne all the way for me.

fountainhall
October 6th, 2016, 19:13
And, dear Francois, you could easily have caviar and Dom Perigon or Krug - or even Cristal - if you flew first class on any airline with a first class cabin plying the Honolulu route. If, as may be the case, there is no first class on those flights, a flunky detached to Central Embassy would have scooped up enough tins of caviar and bottles of premium bubbly to keep that group happy for a couple of dinners. And it would have ended up a damn site cheaper than the expense of chartering a 747-400 aircraft and having it sit idle on the tarmac for 3 days!

justaguy
October 11th, 2016, 14:46
He doesn't need to justify anything. He does not have a mandate from the electorate, he grabbed power by the barrel of the gun. Accountability, transparancy and all of that does not apply here.

Before you know it, there will be a little Humvee taking you to an attitude adjustment session...

fountainhall
October 12th, 2016, 09:41
I'll await the arrival of the Humvee. As for the Hawaii junket, as the Thai social media has been commenting in volumes, it's an outrage that the Auditor General is now on record as saying it was justified. Saving time is one of the points made. So I did some checking.

Given the distance between BKK and Honolulu, the non-stop flight time would be about 11'30" outward and 13"20 for the return. They could have taken Korean which has a first class cabin on both sectors. Yes, there would have been one stop but the total return journey time would have been less than 10 hour longer. Total cost of full-fare 1st and biz class tickets (allowing for the fact that the TG 747-400 has only 10x1st class seats) would have been just over Bt. 8 million. So the cost of saving less than 10 hours was Bt. 13 million! That's justifiable?

And what happened to the PM's exhorting to his Ministers and civil servants to fly economy? A joke!

Aha! I think I hear the doorbell ringing now!!

justaguy
October 13th, 2016, 01:24
5555 at least they have the decency to ring, they could have knocked the door out using the Humvee :)

latintopxxx
October 13th, 2016, 01:36
oh what a waste of time this thread is. he's the PM....thats all there is to it. Thailand is one of the wealthiest countries in the region, what is he suposed to arrive in...air asia economy?? Silly people.