PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Rooms and Cleaners

Mancs
September 18th, 2016, 18:33
This is an odd one but I'd like to know your views. I'm in a 3000 bt a night hotel in Pattaya, which I have stayed in before. My favourite man mentioned he collected the 7/11 stamps so I had got a few out of my bag to give to him and left them on the table. After the cleaners had done the room they had disappeared. The next day I left a couple more on the table. They disappeared too after the cleaners had been. Obviously the amount is trivial but I'm irritated as I was saving them for the man. Decades ago I cleaned hotel rooms in a small gay hotel in the uk. If I had taken the (green shield?) stamps from a customer's room I'm sure the manager would have sacked me. Despite the amount being tiny it puts the question in my mind as to whether I can trust the room safe to remain untouched by the hotel staff when I'm out. That's the reason why hotel room cleaners can tidy but not remove anything which isn't obviously rubbish. My inclination is to do nothing but my usual tip to room cleaners, who often get nothing, as I know from when I did the job, just evaporated. Your thoughts?

arsenal
September 18th, 2016, 19:15
A very interesting question. My experience is that cleaners in hotels seem to follow a very similar modus operandi. Valuables are only likely to be stolen if they are hidden away so a mobile phone left on the table (plugged in is always a good idea) is very unlikely to be taken. If, however it's buried in a bag then there's a good chance it will be. The cleaners in the hotel where I stay will take things (almost worthless items) if it's is not clear how many there are. If my coffee sachets are left in the box then one will be taken (ridiculous I know) but if they're laid out like soldiers then none will disappear. I left a carton of 7 packets of cigarettes on the dresser and sure enough, one packet went but if I had been bothered to take them out and arrange them neatly then it's unlikely any would have gone. But, I agree with you...it ;eaves a rather nasty taste in the mouth. Your little stamps are an obvious take because it's so easy for the cleaner to say she thought they were rubbish should you complain.

As a side point to this. My hotel has taken away the mini bar and now if you want a drink you call room service and they deliver it to your room. I asked about this and I was told that the Chinese drink the cans and then don't want to pay for them. This is not my experience of the Chinese. My belief is that it' was the cleaners who were taking them from the rooms and then the Chinese tourists were presented with the bill.

Mancs
September 18th, 2016, 20:36
An experience in a hotel in Saigon fits in with yours. With no safe in the room I had left some cash in an envelope in my bag-not a large amount. There were several different currencies. One larger denomination note from each currency was stolen-about $65 USD in value altogether. The manager checked the cctv, saw one of their doorman had gone in the room and refunded me half of it.

latintopxxx
September 18th, 2016, 22:20
I have a very simple low cost solution. I simply keep my valuables locked either in the room safe or in my carry on luggage. When I say valuables I mean stuff like passport, cards, small amounts of cash. I travel light, no real valuables such as $800 watches or cameras or gold rings.

Couple
September 19th, 2016, 00:44
The issue with Chinese not wanting to pay for drinks from the mini bar is a known issue in the industry. So be careful with blaming that on staff.
I have never had anything been missing, valuables are in the safe or a locked suite case. Smaller items never seen missing.

My only bad experience has been with my personal staff. One had his nephew help him and replace him a few times and that's hen stuff went missing (Only realising it too late). The last time it happened, we had proof of it and we comforted our staff member. He went furious calling his nephew to ask if he stole something, and yes he did admit. He had to return it immediately, but was too ashamed and afraid, but still had to come of his uncle. We got the thing back, but it needed repairs and replacement of the SIM card, which had to be paid in full (half a month salary for them), no excuses and I made them pay. All previous missing stuff (and yes a watch :( is one of the items) is gone and we let that pass.

a447
September 19th, 2016, 09:58
I don't trust hotel staff, nor do I trust the in-room safe. I reported in another thread about the time a staff member of a hotel in Siem Reap stole my mobile phone from the safe. I was under the impression that only the hotel manager had the master key, but apparently in this case the staff of young guys were able to gain access to it. Also, reception was often unattended during the day and anyone could just walk in off the street and grab a room key.

Some hotel staff are not give proper training and do not know how to deal with foreigners. I'm sure there are times when, for example, they do not know what is rubbish and what isn't. The staff probably assumed foreigners who are rich wouldn't bother collecting something so trivial as 7/11 stamps and so treated them as rubbish.

I left some dirty laundry in a laundry bag on the floor of my hotel in Hanoi, only to find it had gone missing. The staff found it in a bin outside the hotel. The cleaners thought it was rubbish. And that was in a nice hotel, not some cheap mobile

A few years ago I bought a Samsonite suitcase. It was advertised as the world's lightest and hardly weighed anything at all. Just what I needed. When I collected it from the carousel after my first trip with it I found it had been taped up by the airline. Something had struck the zip and it had just all come undone. A worker at the airport fixed it for me then took out a pen, stuck it through the zip and
was able to open it. No security whatsoever. So I've always been aware that staff could get into it and so have always had the safe.

I had to go out and buy a new suitcase without a zip for my upcoming trip. There's no way you can get into it - you would have to steal the suitcase itself. Maybe that offers some protection.

So although I don't trust the staff I can't recall ever having anything stolen in a hotel, apart from my mobile.

Couple
September 19th, 2016, 14:42
A few years ago I bought a Samsonite suitcase. It was advertised as the world's lightest and hardly weighed anything at all. Just what I needed. When I collected it from the carousel after my first trip with it I found it had been taped up by the airline. Something had struck the zip and it had just all come undone. A worker at the airport fixed it for me then took out a pen, stuck it through the zip and
was able to open it. No security whatsoever. So I've always been aware that staff could get into it and so have always had the safe.

I had to go out and buy a new suitcase without a zip for my upcoming trip. There's no way you can get into it - you would have to steal the suitcase itself. Maybe that offers some protection.

Well the suitcase problem is very know to me, had the same issue once when it was 2,5 years old. I complained to samsonite about this and they acknowledged their first series had this problem indeed. I got a full refund on mine to buy a new one to my choice.

You write there is no way to get in ur new suite case, be aware of this...all locks on suite cases have a system they can be opened by security/custom people to screen and check bags if needed. So every single suite case can be opened if wanted. ;-)

a447
September 19th, 2016, 15:12
Yeah, I know those tsa locks can be opened with a special key. Hopefully, hotel staff don't have access to these keys. Mind you, in this day and age, who knows?? Lol

arsenal
September 19th, 2016, 15:25
Well if they really wanted to they could probably take a look at your suitcase then use your mobile/laptop/i-pad to go online and watch a video on youtube to find out how to open it.

fountainhall
September 19th, 2016, 16:23
I cannot count the number of hotel rooms I have stayed in over the decades. I guess I must be lucky because I do not recall anything being nicked anywhere in the world. If it's a good hotel with 3-stars or above, I trust the hotel safe, although never have much in it - certainly little cash. If there is no safe or I think it may be dodgy, I lock valuables in my bag. Since I travel a lot, I don't stint on the type of luggage I use for travel. Until the lighter luggage appeared, I used a hard shell Samsonite with both a combination and key locks. Now I have Tumi mid-size and carry on bags - expensive but 30% off in a sale! I'd never leave things like cash, cameras, phones etc. visible inside the case. They're stuffed into shoes, socks, dirty laundry etc. Yes it could be forced open but I have never once noticed anything on any bag that has indicated tampering.

The emptying of minibars is sometimes a pain. The 4-star hotel I have used in Hong Kong for several years has now gone that way. I was told this was because many Chinese tourists deny they had taken any items. Given that the staff have never taken even a piece of paper from my desk in that hotel, I doubt very much that they were nicking from the fridges. What I don't understand is why hotels don't install the type of refrigerators common in some Japanese hotels. If guests think they might want to use the minibar, they get an extra key to open it. As soon as an item is even partially withdrawn, it is automatically added to the bill. And it cannot be replaced.

Oliver
September 19th, 2016, 16:35
That has been my experience, too. The only time I've been the victim of a crime connected with a trip to Thailand was at Heathrow, where my money and passport were stolen.
Bearing in mind the low pay that most cleaners receive and the tendency of some falangs (not in our community) to flaunt their relative wealth and others to be careless, I find them trustworthy.

fountainhall
September 19th, 2016, 17:35
Just for interest, I was putting my Tumi mid-size case back in the cupboard an hour ago when I noticed a small piece at the back covering the join in the plastic around the zip had come off. I have the part but it has to be screwed in from the inside and I don't know how to access that part. Checking on google, I had no luck finding where to take the case for repair in Bangkok. Tumi's main site guarantees a response within 72 hours. So I also mailed the Singapore Repair facility. They replied replied with the information in less than 30 minutes along with a reminder that the 5 year warranty on my case is still in place. That's pretty amazing service!

arsenal
September 19th, 2016, 19:08
Kettles, chairs and now minibars are disappearing from hotel rooms all over Asia thanks to the Chinese tourists. What next? And they wonder why they are so hated, and so universally. Perhaps more than any other single group in history.

paperboy
September 19th, 2016, 20:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI
worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI

Moses
September 19th, 2016, 21:15
paperboy,

for to show video inside post - just click this icon and paste url in

fountainhall
September 19th, 2016, 21:17
Interesting vdo. I have checked a few others and it is clear that most locks on the more recent luggage - i.e. those built in to the side of a case rather than using a padlock - are safer but can still be opened if there is enough space between the numbered dials. Even if not, someone with good hearing can almost certainly open the lock given enough time. And it is surely lack of time that makes it more problematic for hotel staff to open cases. A guest could return at any time. Only room cleaners have a reason to be in a room for a period of time. They'd be the first suspects, though. It all makes me wonder if any of the new lightweight luggage can be totally safe.

christianpfc
September 20th, 2016, 00:30
I usually stay in places that have neither room service, nor minibar, nor safes, so it wouldn't even occur to me that such problems can arise as members describe here.

What I don't understand is why hotels don't install the type of refrigerators common in some Japanese hotels. If guests think they might want to use the minibar, they get an extra key to open it. As soon as an item is even partially withdrawn, it is automatically added to the bill. And it cannot be replaced.
You mean each item in the minibar is tagged (like theft protection in supermarkets) and electronically reported to reception? Otherwise people could use the minibar and then refill it from 7/11 before checking out? (That could be prevented by putting hotel sticker on each item.) The basic problem is that minibar items are usually grossly overpriced.

Back to the op. If you are around when room service is in, I would point out to them to leave the stickers. If you are out all day, report to management?

scottish-guy
September 20th, 2016, 00:51
...people could use the minibar and then refill it from 7/11 before checking out..

Now, in the OLD days, my "boy special" would not only meet me at the airport, unpack my bags in the hotel, hang everything up and put everything away - but having done that he would EMPTY the minibar drinks onto the counter, make a note of the contents, go to the 7-11 (with my money obv) and replace everything before it was even used.

It's different times now <sigh>

I often wonder what happened to that boy - he worked in Gentleman Club, Star Boys, then Toy Boys, then Funny Boys, and featured on the front cover of Sticky Rice (wonder if it's still online somewhere). Last time I saw him he was working in Findig. Name was Thoy, and i heard he got whisked off to Russia by a client.

scottish-guy
September 20th, 2016, 00:59
Well you know what they say - nothing ever disappears on the internet!!

goji
September 20th, 2016, 02:40
I had some cash go missing from a hotel safe in Cambodia.

I've not knowingly had the cleaners steal anything else from my hotel room. I have, however had colleagues who had the cleaner take a can of coke and bill him for it, despite him even leaving a daily tip. Which he promptly stopped paying. I always ask for the mini bar to be emptied.

fountainhall
September 20th, 2016, 12:37
You mean each item in the minibar is tagged (like theft protection in supermarkets) and electronically reported to reception? Otherwise people could use the minibar and then refill it from 7/11 before checking out? . . . The basic problem is that minibar items are usually grossly overpriced.
To item 1, yes. The minibar is not like a regular small fridge. It has something like a plastic box fitted inside with 12 - 16 apertures into which each minibar item neatly fits. After opening the minibar using the provided key, any item moved by more than a couple of centimetres activates a trigger which then automatically bills the room. Instructions are always placed both on top of the minibar and on the inside of the door.

Agreed re pricing. I object to paying 5 times more for a whisky or a small bar of chocolate than the same item costs in convenience stores. I'm like Scottish's boy special, but I replace the following morning whilst the Do Not Disturb sign is still on the door. One problem with this is that some hotels are stuffing the minibars with non-regular items - i.e. chocolate that is not available in 7/11s!

Another problem with minibars and certain tourists is their opening the miniatures of gin, vodka or whatever, drinking the contents and then replacing it with water. Often if they are careful when screwing the cap on again, it's hard for the staff to notice if has been used.

arsenal
September 20th, 2016, 15:35
I don't use the minibar either or if I do it's for a very occasional soft drink. But I do like to offer the boy a beer while I have a coffee and we enjoy a cigarette and a chat. It feels like a pleasant, civilised thing to do and is part of the overall experience for me.

Mancs
September 20th, 2016, 20:45
What I meant originally about it being an odd one was that it was too trivial to tell the management as I wouldn't want to risk someone's job over something so small. At the same time it cast doubt on whether I could trust the cleaners with larger things so had a significant implication for me. I am now back in my favourite hotel in Bangkok, where I leave things out all the time, and would be surprised if the same thing happened.

Old git
September 21st, 2016, 20:43
A couple of years ago I was stopping over for a night in BKK and absent-mindedly went to breakfast leaving the door of the room safe wide open with a large wad of cash (amongst other things) in full view.

When I came back the room had been cleaned and nothing in the safe had been touched. Somewhat flustered by my carelessness (and good fortune..) I packed quickly and went to check out. The maid was called to check the minibar from the reception desk as usual.

As I was about to leave the building she came scurrying down with a pair of shoes I'd left in the room - the look of pity she gave me as she handed them to me was excruciating...

Mancs
September 21st, 2016, 23:20
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can be forgetful. The combination of jet lag, lack of sleep, heat and disorientation can be a powerful mix. It is easy to leave things in hotel rooms unless we check every space. Hotel cleaners can be very helpful. I was indebted to a cleaner at the Malaysia who forgot to remove the toilet roll holder she had used to keep the electricity on instead of the key. A most useful tip.

goji
September 22nd, 2016, 03:32
What I meant originally about it being an odd one was that it was too trivial to tell the management as I wouldn't want to risk someone's job over something so small.
If someone deliberately stole something of mine, no matter how small, I would expect them to be fired.
Hotels should not tolerate theft, since customer trust is important. My employer fires people for theft (correctly) & I certainly expect hotels to do the same.

Obviously if something is mistakenly thrown out as rubbish, that is just a matter of re-education, either for the cleaner or the customer, depending on the type of incident.

latintopxxx
September 24th, 2016, 23:30
goji, go take a chill pill....in Indonesia I caught a young cleaner stealing a EURO10 note from my wallet, he must have been all of 19. Immediately broke down in tears ....I didnt make a scene, I told him that he was lucky that I wasnt gonna do anything about it, but that he should be aware that just as I have caught him others will too as you never know when someone will walk into their room, and that he would immediately lose his job not to mention the shame/ embarrassment. Sometimes young people do silly things.

francois
September 25th, 2016, 00:08

As I was about to leave the building she came scurrying down with a pair of shoes I'd left in the room - the look of pity she gave me as she handed them to me was excruciating...

I trust you alleviated her pity?

goji
September 25th, 2016, 05:53
Sometimes young people do silly things.

Even young people need to learn. Theft is unacceptable. They should be fired as a bare minimum. A jail sentence is also appropriate.

For what it it worth, most of the cleaners I see are not so young. Not that it makes any difference, since people should not steal.

latintopxxx
September 25th, 2016, 06:29
In principle i agree with you, if it had been someone older I would have not been as forgiving.

francois
September 25th, 2016, 10:59
Even young people need to learn. Theft is unacceptable. They should be fired as a bare minimum. A jail sentence is also appropriate.

A jail sentence, really for some minor theft? What about a public lashing?

fountainhall
September 25th, 2016, 12:02
The Sussex (UK) Police website has another reason for not leaving anything of any value in the open when staying in hotels - theft of a master key. Turns out two men entered 53 rooms in the Gatwick Airport Marriott Courtyard Hotel during a 2'45" hour period on July 27. Jewellery, foreign currency, perfumes and cash were stolen. It is still not known how the thieves obtained the key. But I assume electronic keys can not be especially difficult to replicate.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/news/cash-and-jewellery-stolen-during-spate-of-burglaries-at-gatwick-hotel/

Oliver
September 25th, 2016, 15:15
It really is simple; if you are visiting living among people who are significantly poorer than you and on whose services you depend, use common sense.
The self-righteousness and self-satisfaction of comparatively wealthy western tourists never ceases to amaze me. They leave money lying around in rooms, tempting poorly-paid cleaners- in Christianity, placing temptation in the way of others is a sin- and then demand prison sentences and firing for the people who have taken advantage of them....not giving a damn whether there are hungry children who would suffer. No doubt some of them go back home, do everything they can, including lying, to avoid paying their taxes and then moan about other poor people trying to make an honest living in their countries.
We need a new Jonathon Swift to prick our consciences.

latintopxxx
September 25th, 2016, 21:58
well there is a limit, I dont feel the slightest pang of guilt when visiting poorer countries, after all often its their own rulers/people who carry out and perpetuate the oppression. I too dont feel any guilt about offing a MB for the price of a middle of the range bottle of wine back home...thats the going rate and Im lucky enough to benefit. I would feel differently if someone broke in to my locked suitcase to steal, but in this particular case i left my wallet with about EUR90 in small notes on the bedside table and I guess for this young guy the temptation was too great.

christianpfc
September 26th, 2016, 01:25
goji, go take a chill pill....in Indonesia I caught a young cleaner stealing a EURO10 note from my wallet, he must have been all of 19. Immediately broke down in tears ....I didnt make a scene, I told him that he was lucky that I wasnt gonna do anything about it, but that he should be aware that just as I have caught him others will too as you never know when someone will walk into their room, and that he would immediately lose his job not to mention the shame/ embarrassment. Sometimes young people do silly things.
When I started reading I expected you to ride him like a pony. Why this leniency?

latintopxxx
September 26th, 2016, 04:14
geez...I have got some standards. Black mail/stand over tactics are not my style. For heavens sake I even give to charity. and Im nice to my cleaning lady.