View Full Version : Pride sweeps Phnom Penh

lonelywombat
May 19th, 2016, 17:47
Pride Sweeps Phnom Penh
like us on facebook
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25151/pride-sweeps-phnom-penh/

Khmer Times/Sotheavy Nou
Thursday, 19 May 2016

The 12th Annual Gay Pride Week kicked off with a blast at Meta House on Tuesday. With Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” being performed in drag and bedazzled performers dancing under a giant rainbow made from recycled plastic bottles, many from the LGBTI community celebrated the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia with their friends and supporters in an event full of performances and art.
Sao Sopheak, the creative director of Meta House, said it took her and a team of Cambodians and expats about two months to finish the exhibit of mixed art and photos from local and international artists.
Glowing in a sparkling gold dress next to Sao was Sou Sotheavy, one of the only publicly transgender people to survive the Khmer Rouge genocide, who spoke of the harm, repeated beatings and rapes she suffered during some of the country’s worst years. As an advocate for equal rights for same sex couples since 1999, Ms. Sou established the Cambodian Network for Men Women Development (CMWD), the first Cambodian NGO to support LGBT people. The NGO has expanded to 15 provinces. Sou is also the focus of Sao’s 4-year film project, which is currently in post-production.
“They celebrate pride week everywhere in the world, but in Cambodia, it is still a new concept for people of the same gender to love each other. We have filmed my story for the past few years and I feel much has changed,” Sou said.
“In the Khmer Rouge, there was no torture, only death for transgender and gay people like me,” she added. “I am lucky to do so much for my community, a life that allows me to help LGBT Cambodians escape the torture, contempt, and discrimination that exists in many families and in Cambodian society.”
Pride Week, which was first celebrated here in 2004 after King Norodom Sihanouk wrote on his website that he supported same sex marriages, has slowly chipped away at underlying prejudices and worked to spread a better understanding of the gay and transgendered community in Cambodia.
One of the organizers, Vichet Nou, was happy to see the movement grow in Phnom Penh. “This year, we got bigger audiences to join the events,” he said. Uniting with the hospitality and business community, the program for the week will include seminars, workshops, films, and various events at supporting venues.
Each day, parties will be held for Pride Week at prominent LGBT nightspots, with the popular Tuk Tuk parade returning this on Saturday. The closing night will be held at Heart of Darkness club on Saturday, with recovery parties at Rambutan and Arthur & Paul the following day.