View Full Version : Oh God it's a Visa Question!

January 14th, 2006, 18:22
Hi,

Please don't sigh, I expect visa questions have been asked and answered a million times here, but I have spent the first 20 minutes of my debut on here trying to find an answer to my question, so please help if you can.

I have visited Thailand 3 times since May 2005. 1st time was on a 60 day tourist visa, 2nd time on a 30 day entry visa and here I am again at the end of a 60 day tourist visa. Thing is, this time I want to extend my stay. Can I do the visa run thing (say from Pattaya to Cambodia) and get 30 days added on (I believe I had heard a rumour this is possible) or can I get to a Thai Embassy overseas and get a further 60 day Tourist visa.

My concern really is that once out of the country they may not let me back in because I have been here three times for relatively long stays in the last year.

The voice of experience to lead this poor dumbass by the nose would be gratefully appreciated. :lol:

January 14th, 2006, 18:28
As you have explained it, you are at the end of a 60 day tourist visa. You are able to get a 30 day extention by just aplying at the Pattatya imigration office. ( it costs 2,000 baht )
I have never herd of anyone having entering the Kingdom multiple times, some forgieners make the trip out of the country monthy to keep there visa current. I see no problem.

January 14th, 2006, 18:45
Many thanks HappyHere,

Yes I am almost at the ned of my 60 day visa, I am in Phuket and will be going to Pattaya for my final few days. If things work out as you suggest, I will pay a visit to the Immigration Office in Pattaya and gain an extension that way without any need for all that unnescessary travel accross borders. Fabulous. :)

TrongpaiExpat
January 14th, 2006, 18:59
I have never herd of anyone having entering the Kingdom multiple times, some forgieners make the trip out of the country monthy to keep there visa current. I see no problem.

The talk is, and it's only talk, Thai Immigration wants to limit visit visas to 6 per year, and then you have to leave the county for 6 months before reapplying. Then I have heard and read all sorts of other variations and interpretations of these limits.

It sure has the long term back packer crowd a bit nervous who can not get one of the other long term visas.

January 15th, 2006, 11:22
Yes you can extend a tourist Visa for a further 30 days at any Immigration Office and I think the fee is Bt1900.

If you are using the Pattaya one please note that it has moved to Soi 5 Jomtien Beach Road and it is quite a long way down the soi.

January 15th, 2006, 13:37
For @ not much more you can have a lawyer do it for you.
You will need:
Copies of your (relevent) passport pages.
Two recent, passport size, photos.
And the application, which he should have and will help you with.

Before going to the lawyer; I suggest you go first to a Photomat (Suggest the Kodak shop on Road Two \ Pattayaland (BoyzTown) for your photo & copies. I'm sure they can tell you if there is anything you need copies of that I've forgotten. Having this in hand may save you a trip to the lawer--So he can tell you what I've just told you.

Why is this worth doing? You can spend half-a-day at the immigration office, especially in high season; plus travel time. I don't know about the new office but the old one was unairconditioned--By the time I finished filling out the form I'd sweat through it--then they'd send you outside, to wait in line at a shack, for photos--@ 50 baht, probably more now--from a very ill tempered woman.

Things may have improved now--And I'm sure there are those who will tell you it will take\took them ten minutes!...and maybe it will...if you know who, or how, to bribe your way to the front of the line--but everyone I know had the same experience, or worse, as I.

The last time(s) I needed a visa extention: about 5 years ago; in the condo building next to the Wat on South Road, there was a lawyer: ground floor next to the laundry, who was recommended by a friend, the same friend who advised me to let a lawyer get the extention, bless him.
He had my visa extention the next day: day after handing him the necessary documents. @, at that time about 300 baht. Sorry, I don't remember his name or know if he's still there or, even if the laundry is still there but, if he is, his hours were posted on the door. When my visa was ready he left it with the laundry lady. This may sound like a lot of running around but every place I needed go was within walking distance of my hotel; all-in-all: travel time, getting photos & copies, trips to the lawyer...everything...took about an-hour-and-a-half, all done over three consecutive days, on my way back from the beach.

January 15th, 2006, 13:37
For @ not much more you can have a lawyer do it for you.
You will need:
Copies of your (relevent) passport pages.
Two recent, passport size, photos.
And the application, which he should have and will help you with.

Before going to the lawyer; I suggest you go first to a Photomat (Suggest the Kodak shop on Road Two \ Pattayaland (BoyzTown) for your photo & copies. I'm sure they can tell you if there is anything you need copies of that I've forgotten. Having this in hand may save you a trip to the lawer--So he can tell you what I've just told you.

Why is this worth doing? You can spend half-a-day at the immigration office, especially in high season; plus travel time. I don't know about the new office but the old one was unairconditioned--By the time I finished filling out the form I'd sweat through it--then they'd send you outside, to wait in line at a shack, for photos--@ 50 baht, probably more now--from a very ill tempered woman.

Things may have improved now--And I'm sure there are those who will tell you it will take\took them ten minutes!...and maybe it will...if you know who, or how, to bribe your way to the front of the line--but everyone I know had the same experience, or worse, as I.

The last time(s) I needed a visa extention: about 5 years ago; in the condo building next to the Wat on South Road, there was a lawyer: ground floor next to the laundry, who was recommended by a friend, the same friend who advised me to let a lawyer get the extention, bless him.
He had my visa extention the next day: day after handing him the necessary documents. @, at that time about 300 baht. Sorry, I don't remember his name or know if he's still there or, even if the laundry is still there but, if he is, his hours were posted on the door. When my visa was ready he left it with the laundry lady. This may sound like a lot of running around but every place I needed go was within walking distance of my hotel; all-in-all: travel time, getting photos & copies, trips to the lawyer...everything...took about an-hour-and-a-half, all done over three consecutive days, on my way back from the beach.

January 15th, 2006, 13:44

The talk is, and it's only talk, Thai Immigration wants to limit visit visas to 6 per year, and then you have to leave the county for 6 months before reapplying. Then I have heard and read all sorts of other variations and interpretations of these limits.

It sure has the long term back packer crowd a bit nervous who can not get one of the other long term visas.

A few years ago Immigration introduced a rule which said you could only stay in Thailand on tourist visas for 6 months a year. Since I stay in Thailand all year on a tourist visa I am in theory in trouble due to this. But the rule is applied according to who you are. They apply it only to people they don't like: Indians, Bagladeshis, Africans, Russian prostitutes, plus anyone who look poor or have dark skin or they think dress, act or look improperly. If you are a Westerner and behave well it would normally not be any problem. I have lived in Thailand for 4 years this way.

Dick
January 17th, 2006, 04:00
I know it's a little off topic in this forum, but I just had to share. I recently took a peek at the US London Embassy's Visa pages. As a visitor to the United States without a recent digital passport, you need to complete online a visa application form, print it off, make an appointment, then take the form to the Embassy In Person.
https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp?lang=1

OK. But take a look at this.
You are required to answer Yes or No to a number of questions that include:

Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?

Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose?

Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State?

Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide?

Have you ever withheld custody of a U.S. citizen child outside the United States from a person granted legal custody by a U.S. court, voted in the United States in violation of any law or regulation, or renounced U.S. citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation

Have you ever been afflicted with a communicable disease of public health significance or a dangerous physical or mental disorder, or ever been a drug abuser or addict?

Who the fcuk dreamed up this form? Do they seriously believe someone is going to own up to being a Arms running Drug crazed Hostage taking Nazi Terrorist with leprosy?

The form then goes on to say:
While a YES answer does not automatically signify ineligibility for a visa, if you answered YES you may be required to personally appear before a consular officer.

Please tell me all Americans Officials aren't this naive