PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay 5 million baht(and the rest) to marry your Thai B/F?

homeseeker
May 9th, 2016, 10:18
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/915884-englishman-pays-five-million-baht-dowry-as-he-marries-thai-man-he-met-on-facebook/

cdnmatt
May 9th, 2016, 10:45
Would you pay 5 million baht(and the rest) to marry your Thai B/F?

No.

AsDaRa
May 9th, 2016, 10:48
No.

fountainhall
May 9th, 2016, 10:59
Also no. I couldn't afford it.

But payment of a dowry in Thailand is extremely common, the amount rising according to the status and education level of the Thai fiancee as well as, according to one source, her virginity! I wonder if the Thai boy was still a virgin - at 29???

But as the Thai boy had been a factory worker, it's much more likely his family was pretty low-so and a normal dowry would be a tiny fraction of that Bt. 5 million. Then again the farang is wealthy and clearly was happy to pay up. I only hope he realises he may well be bombarded pretty soon with requests for replacement buffaloes, hospital bills and all the usual little expenses some farang know about only too well!

Up2U
May 9th, 2016, 11:09
My culture says emphatically NO but in other cultures it is the norm.

fountainhall
May 9th, 2016, 11:19
My culture says emphatically NO but in other cultures it is the norm.
Just out of interest, though, if you decided to go with the flow and pay a dowry, would you give anything like Bt. 5 million? From a quick look at some internet sites, it seems Bt. 100,000 is close to the max for most marriages up country, although there was a case of a girl from Roi Et whose family received Bt. 100 MILLION! For that amount I hope she really was a virgin!

Up2U
May 9th, 2016, 11:47
I suspect it depends on the status of the family. A rich family may feel insulted by a paltry amount. Who knows for sure?

justaguy
May 9th, 2016, 12:10
Crazy, that is around Euro 125k.

I had a 'wedding' in Laos 11 years ago, I paid six crates of Beerlao at 108K LAK per crate, or in total less than 3000 baht. The rest of the party was paid by my boyfriend.

I wonder how long it will take them to burn the money away.

cdnmatt
May 9th, 2016, 12:20
In comparison, I remember when Kim's little sister got married. She was 16 at the time I think, and her husband 17 -- they got married, because she ended up pregnant. Not sure why, but the two families met at my house for some reason -- neutral ground I suppose, and that's where the dowry was paid out by the husband's family.

The amount? 50,000 baht. I know that, because Kim took the money, as he didn't trust his alcoholic dad with it. Didn't much matter, because it was all gone within a week anyway.

mahjongguy
May 9th, 2016, 17:57
I don't get it. This is not a legal marriage nor a religious marriage. It's just a public demonstration of the farang's wealth, and we can all guess how that will turn out.

bkkguy
May 9th, 2016, 18:49
and if you ever wondered what it would be like if Sawatdee did ever became a popular forum try reading the 7 pages of responses on ThaiVisa in less than 12 hours - percentage wise the ratio of good to bad posters is similar to here but the total population size means the signal to noise ratio is fucked!

bkkguy

Yraen
May 9th, 2016, 21:25
This "marriage" happened 2-3 years ago. Why is it suddenly a hot topic again? It is truly yesterday's news.